All parent member reviews for Sid Meier's Civilization V

Adult Written bymikhailk April 19, 2012

Civilization V - incredibly fun, and highly educational

Civilization V is a stunningly enjoyable game which has the potential to inspire people of all ages to learn more about history. Although it does not present an accurate portrayal of historical events (as it allows each player to choose their own path), it presents the course of human history and civilization as a fascinating journey. Even more importantly, the emphasis it places on long-term strategic thinking and planning promotes strong development of decision-making and reasoning skills. Although the game does not present a specific sense of morality, this ambiguity allows players to think intelligently about the choices they make and the real impact those choices will have on their virtual subjects. This might be lost on younger players, but it's a great idea to talk about this with older, thoughtful children. In many senses, this game is a lot like chess for the twenty-first century. People play it as entertainment, not to learn, but while playing Civilization V, learning is almost unavoidable, even if you don't notice because you're having too much fun. Although I rated the game as being appropriate for anybody over the age of 8, that's a reference to the content, not the difficulty. Even on the easiest setting, the game will most likely be too difficult for most children under the age of twelve or so, unless an older player helps them as they learn the game. The game can be violent in a sense, but roughly in the same sense that chess is violent: in chess, you move pieces from one tile to another on the game board, taking over the territory that your opponent's pieces once occupied. Although the combat in Civilization V is dressed up with fancier graphics and some sound effects, it's relatively abstract like chess, as though you're moving a token on a game board. In summation, Civilization V is loads of fun, and also a genuinely positive experience, challenging players to engage in creative planning, weighing priorities, calculating risks, adapting to changing scenarios, and considering the morality of their actions. I have been playing the Civilization series of computer games since I was a child, and it took me decades to realize just how much I was learning from it. The beauty is, you don't learn facts - you learn how to *think*, and that's the most important type of learning there is.
Parent Written byeca3101 January 1, 2014

Great game, nothing actually bad too it

The game may have some fighting scenes. But all it is really is the soldiers go to fight, then if one of them gets hit they fall on the ground then just disappear. No blood gore or anything of that sort. The game also teaches kids to balance a budget and the war is costly both time and money wise. For each unit killed you loose time building/training the unit and you lose a front in the war. It also shows how easy it is to get into debt and how hard it is to get out. It also has some historical accuracy to it. Giving kids some extra knowledge on the way! E.g.: the leaders are accurate to their respected nations (Washington to USA, Gandhi to India etc); it also has historically accurate units and buildings (japan has the samurai, Egypt has the tomb etc) The only thing about civilization 5 is that its learning curve is MASSIVE. My son managed to understand the game within 3 days. That may not sound like a lot but for younger audiences (my son was 10) and children/tweens who don't like the strategy genre, this may be an even bigger learning curve. Other than that I totally recommend this game.
Parent Written bykirka October 25, 2014

LEARNING

Wonderfully mulitfaceted

Civilization V, much like many games of today, has benefited immensely from the improvements the add-ons have provided. With Gods & Kings and Brave New World, the game is much more challenging and now provides the player with several different paths to choose from. Gratis Games The map packs are, I would argue, a little redundant with all the user made mods and map packs out there, but all in all, the complete edition is a great game that will indeed keep you clicking the Just one more turn-button!
Parent of a 8, 14, and 17 year old Written bySpecimenB June 22, 2012

LEARNING

My 8 yr old son and I have a blast multiplayer.

My kids really enjoy playing Civilization V and we also play multiplayer together.