Kid reviews for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

A creepy, mature, first-person sci-fi shooter.

Teen, 13 years old Written bygreen plastic chair May 5, 2020

The reviewer probably didn't even play the game.

Suggested Rating: T for violence and alcohol.

Profanity:

Summary: some uses of sh*t

First of all, common sense gave 4/5 for profanity even though they said themselves that the only bad language is sh*t and bullsh*t. There are teen games that have waaaaay more profanity than this game.

Violence:

Summary: People fall down when they die and some minor blood stains, nothing more.

The violence in this game isnt really bad. The game is very dated and really doesn't have any actual graphic violence. If you stab someone, the knife won't be shown stabbing into their chest realistically. It will make a motion towards them with no actual blood or gore. They will then proceed to fall down. Same goes for shooting people. If someone is shot in the head, their head won't go flying off or burst into pieces, they will just fall onto the ground. The only gore ever shown in this game is minor blood stains. Realistically, this game is near-fortnite level violence. I really don't understand how it got an M rating.

Messages:

Summary: Messages about character and being a good person

This game is a role playing game, and the decisions people make are more important. It is different from other games where it is easy to just go and be a bad person without thinking twice. The characters you interact with in the game fight for good causes in a world with not so good people. They keep their community safe risking their lives against nasty bandits, corrupt soldiers and enemy factions. They are all good role models that teach character and morality.

Kid, 11 years old December 26, 2017

Did you even play the whole game, common sense media?!

This is a really good game people. It does have some violence and swearing, but like though you wouldn't start yelling the b word if someone shoots you. The game does include some creepy stuff like monsters that are maned "Bloodsuckers" and pseudo giants, but as long as you don't have a lot of adrenaline and you can stand a bit of blood, then you can play this when you're like 11 or 12.

Ease of Play
Teen, 13 years old Written bybladeserpent April 9, 2008

fools

Once again commonsense, you are brain dead fools. this game isn't even over-the-top violent. and the blood level of this game isn't high either. it's almost as if you people just look at the back of the box and write crap about what you think the game is like. This game has moments where it'll scare you, but does that make it mature? The graphics aren't that great so the violence is not even as realistic as you think. Common sense, get some real reviewers...
Teen, 17 years old Written byburnside001 April 9, 2008

DID YOU ACTUALLY PLAY IT!!!

HAVING COMPLETED THE GAME, I CAN TELL THAT COMMON SENSE HASN'T. HONESTLY, CALLING THE ARTIFACTS MAGICAL, ANYBODY WHO HAS REALLY PLAYED THE GAME WOULD TELL YOU OTHER WISE. a REALLY BIG MISTAKE IN THE COMMON SINCE REVIEW IS SAYING THAT THE GAME TAKES PLACE AROUND THE TINE OF THE ORIGINAL DISASTER, RIGHT OFF THE BAT CHARACTERS STATE THE THE DATE IS NEARLY 30 YEARS LATER ALSO, THE BODIES AREN'T DESTRUCTIBLE, IN OTHER WORDS THEY DON'T BLOW INTO CHUNKS, YOU CAN LAY 1000 ROUNDS INTO A CORPS ALONG WITH A GRENADE OR 2 AND THEY WON'T FLY APART. FURTHERMORE, THE GAME HAS HUGE AMOUNTS OF FACTS ABOUT THE ORIGINAL DISASTER AND THE GAME MAP IS BASED OFF THE REAL EXCLUSION ZONE, DOES THAT NOT QUALIFY IT AS AT LEAST MODERATELY EDUCATIONAL, YOU GUY'S REALLY NEED TO BE MORE ACCURATE.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpy Gaming March 4, 2021

Pretty epic

This is an awesome game. Since it came out in 2007 graphics aren't that great. There are blood spatters but nothing someone shouldn't be able to handle. Seriously this game should be rated T.
Teen, 14 years old Written byOmegus August 10, 2018

You got it wrong. (again)

Once again, commonsense falls short on another great game. STALKER's corpses are indestructable; I tested this myself. I bought a heavy machine gun from a faction (for several thousand rubles, the currency in-game) and unloaded 2 full boxes of 7.62 into a bandit's body. I also threw a couple of grenades and it did jack shit. The artifacts aren't 'magical,' they're altered by the conditions of the alienation Zone.

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl puts you in the badly-made boots, jeans, and leather jacket of the Marked One, an amnesiac STALKER (An acronym used by the military and other Stalkers: Scavengers, Trespassers, Adventurers, Loners, Killers, Explorers, Robbers.) who was rescued from a 'death truck' that carries corpses and near-dead people towards the center of the Zone. These trucks are absolute mysteries, so it's a miracle you're alive. All you have is a pair of binoculars, some clothes, and a strange man who tells you that all that was on your PDA was two words: "KILL STRELOK." Strelok is supposedly a man who made his way to the center of the Zone, and you were, for whatever reason, hunting him down. On your way to capture (or kill) Strelok, you must dodge robbers, killers, mutants, Anomalies, radiation, and the mysterious Monolith faction. The story twists and turns and you can choose to take optional quests. There are factions of STALKERs in the zone, such as: Duty, a paramilitary faction that keeps people from exploiting the Zone. Freedom, Duty's mortal enemy, which tries to get the Zone's restrictions removed. The Mercenaries, a group of for-hire killers with unknown clients that have unknown intentions. The Bandits, who are thieves and killers. The Monolith, a cultist group that 'protects' the center of the Zone. And the Loners, your average person. STALKER's story isn't the only good thing about it; the atmosphere is incredible, and I would prefer it over any other game when it came to immersion. The most popular modifications on the internet focus on atmosphere, and immersion, and that tells you just how important it is for this kind of game. Over all, commonsense got its review wrong. Parents may not like it, but STALKER tells a story equal to games such as Half Life. DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying you should give 5-year-olds the keyboard and mouse with this game and tell them to go nuts. I understand that the amount of violence in this game is concerning for parents. At age 10, or maybe 12, they should be able to start on this game.

Ease of Play
Teen, 14 years old Written byRealOpinion February 15, 2018

Should Be Alright For Younger Teens

First off, let me say that this is an excellent game. If you love the Fallout series this is the game for you. I think Common Sense was way over dramatic when they said that this game is extremely gory. It comes not even close to heads blowing off. I actually think the gore level is better than Halo. I highly doubt Common Sense actually played the game. Language and Alcohol are both present, but not to a worrying extent. (I mean, your playing as a Russian what do you expect.) While I don't find it scary, I will note that you should probably know your kid before you let them play. Other than that, I think if you let your kids watch PG-13 movies it should be fine. Please let your kids play this amazing game.
Teen, 15 years old Written byRawrfunkle .. November 28, 2017

STALKER...

It requires wits, smarts, and intense speed. Bullets work like how they would in real life, grenades exist, nowhere is safe. The game is based around a man named Strelok and... uhh... he does stuff and buys things. The subtitles are in English, but almost everybody speaks Ukrainian and Russian. I speak some of both languages. Everybody's a potty mouth. Another fact about the game; everybody can die. You can choose to kill anybody and everybody, and find a way to continue the story. The game's good. Also, the game's horrifying. Buy this game for yourself, and your teenagers.

Teen, 15 years old Written by-Brizzy- April 9, 2008