Parent reviews for Summer in Mara

Summer in Mara Poster Image

No reviews yet.

Add your rating

Fun, lots of reading, some adult messages

The game is fun, but with no voice-acting all dialog must be read, so players must be able to read well. Haven't finished the game yet, but one character uses the word "dammit" and later in a questline with he and his "business partner" it is revealed they are also life partners, as they suddenly start giving each other meaningful gifts and talking about their "anniversary" - a move which I thought was unnecessary for their characters. Caution for young players.

If they can read well, then let them play!

This game has amazing, positive stories to tell that will inspire adults and children alike. It takes influence from many world cultures and has at its heart a message about harmony, kindness, closure, and adventure. I would let any interested child play this, but understanding the controls, what to do, how to progress, how to manage your money and time, etc. might be hard for younger kids. The story is captivating and moving, which can be positive or maybe also negative, depending if how sensitive the kid is. Overall though, a fantastic game that has something for everyone. Uplifting and hopeful just when you need an escape! SPOILER BELOW. This game is fun for adults too, and reading the part below will probably lessen your experience. There is an implied major character death near the beginning. Yaya Haku is Koa's parental figure in the intro and remains important to the plot, but she is gone after the intro section ends and there is a time skip to when Koa is a little older. I feel like most kids playing would just be confused by her absence, but playing it myself, it hit me kinda hard. Especially when I found a little shrine dedicated to her on Koa's Home Island. Just a heads-up about that. No violence at all, though.