Kid reviews for Super Paper Mario

Engrossing and action-packed; so much fun for 8+.

Teen, 16 years old Written byMimiDoodles December 30, 2019

My Parents let me play this when I was four and I am still traumatized thanks.

I don't think this game should be rated E I'm crying. The character Mimi literally transforms into a spider and it's super scary she snaps her neck. Also Luigi is murdered like 2 times. Other than that it's a very good game I would just suggest you don't let younger kids play it.

Teen, 16 years old Written byMagical_Charcoal December 4, 2019

Fantastic Game!

This game is great but there are a few creepy scenes for kids. There’s also a LOT of text but you can skip over it, it contains a deep love story which most kids probably won’t understand (I didn’t anyway) and it can be pretty dark but I didn’t notice it when I was young. But it is great fun.

Teen, 13 years old Written bybreeziideii September 18, 2019

amazing, touching game. can be dark at times. very story heavy game. lots of reading required.

super paper mario is a touching game with a beautiful story, ESPECIALLY for a mario game. it requires a lot of reading and has quite a bit of dark moments, but if you're okay with that, PLAY. IT. i'm a very unsensitive person around fictional stories and i literally cried at the end.
~!SPOILERS AHEAD!~
so, basically, a quick summary of the plot is that there's this guy named count bleck who's trying to destroy the world and you have to stop him. you go through a variety of different levels, and then once you defeat him, his "loyal minion" dimentio (who was previously assumed to be dead) murders nastasia, his assistant (although she comes back to life, and the death isn't graphic. he just attacks her with like his magic starburst attack thing and she falls over). he brainwashes luigi and usurps the chaos heart, you defeat him, count bleck is actually blumiere, timpani's (tippi, the butterfly pixl, once human, that helps you throughout the game) lost love. they seal the chaos heart away by finally getting married and then they disappear. i missed quite a bunch of key stuff tbh but i covered the two most major plot points. count bleck and tippi being blumiere and timpani, and dimentio's betrayal of literally everybody that trusted him.

now, the most scary part of the game is probably mimi's transformation into a spider. she snaps her neck (sounds of cracking and blood included, although nothing graphic), her eyes get huge, then they dissapear into spider legs, and she becomes well...
a giant spider. it's hard to explain. search "mimi transformation spm" if you wanna find out. it's the one with the little green girl.

the second thing i wanna point out is how much death there is (although everybody except dimentio who caused most of it comes back to life). first, dimentio murders mr l (brainwashed luigi) by explosion. he uses this method of killing for everyone except nastasia, actually. afterwards, he kills mario, peach and bowser (who is your ally in this game). a bit later in the game, he suicide bombs himself and luigi (again...), and both of them are supposedly dead. once you defeat count bleck, the presumed final boss, he comes and kills nastasia via his yellow and purple starburst attack thing. basically, its a purple flower looking thing inside of a yellow star that he can create and attack people with. then, he brainwashes LUIGI (he has a weird obsession with making his life miserable) and forces him to fuse with him to create super dimentio, which can best be described as a giraffe abomination thing.

right before the fight with super dimentio, he sends count bleck, nastasia and tippi into dimension d (a pocket dimension he created) and traps them there. with the power of the pure hearts, tippi is eventually able to return to castle bleck/the arena you fight super dimentio in.

once she (tippi) does this, super dimentio is no longer invincible and you defeat him and luigi escapes unharmed. dimentio himself leaves behind a shadow of his power to control the chaos heart, end all worlds, and then become the ruler of them all. he then explodes to death (although you can only see part of super dimentio that he's trapped in, so again, nothing actually graphic).

to stop the chaos heart, timpani (tippi) and blumiere (count bleck, who has a redemption arc, although isn't really all that redeemable imo). the chaos heart is then sealed away, and dimentio is presumably gone for good. count bleck and tippi then dissapear, and everybody goes to flipside, the main hub of the world.

OH! another thing of concern i forgot to mention! in chapter 3, the main boss is this weeaboo-neckbeard lizard/chameleon thing (francis) who kidnaps tippi and tries to keep them so they can post butterfly pics online. you end up getting her back by fighting with him. HOWEVER, before the fight, you have to play as peach (otherwise he wont let you into his studio space, which makes it so you cant get tippi back) and it becomes. a dating. sim. its WEIRD. peach is independent and is having none of it, which leads to her using boomer (the pixl that lets you explode stuff) to get out of it. again, nothing graphic, the music just... strange-
and another thing i forgot to mention is that dimentio is the only bleck minion that "dies" (mimi and o chunks eventually appear later in dimension d along with count bleck and nastasia) without a redemption arc. bowser and o chunks try and save peach, mario, and luigi from the collapsing ceiling and presumably get crushed. and mimi and peach try and save each other from falling, and presumably fall to their death. dimentio just straight up suicide bombs luigi and himself, not having a single qualm or regret about it, which is foreshadowing to his eventual betrayal of count bleck. peach, bowser and luigi all eventually show up during the count bleck fight and are confirmed to be alive.
luigi also probably has crippling ptsd from being burned alive two times as well as a fear of jesters. that isn't implied lol, just a headcanon

anyways, tl;dr, spm is a good game, lots of reading, lots of amazing plot, and a lotta (non graphic) death. good humour, too. PLAY IT. YOU WONT REGRET IT.

Teen, 16 years old Written byLordofthehobbits May 24, 2019

Ok I know what your thinking why did I rate this 10+ rather than 8+?

just look up Mimi's transformation video that should be enough to state my point
Kid, 10 years old March 11, 2019
Teen, 16 years old Written byJconLennington February 18, 2019

Good but very very dark

This game is great but it can be extremely sad and dark at times. But I don’t think kids will notice that, I didn’t. The game talks about love a lot as well which at the time I had no idea about ( I still don’t know too much about it) but this game is very fun and the humor is quite funny. Not like the first two games but definitely worth a try.

Kid, 12 years old January 28, 2019

Great Game!!!

very good.

Teen, 16 years old Written bypeachylink April 18, 2018

Great game with lots of reading

This game is really fun and fine for anyone once they can read as there is a lot of reading. I guess you can say it's a little educational as it could expand vocabulary.

Kid, 12 years old January 27, 2017

Oh, this was one of my fave games when I was little!

Yep! Great game! I loves the fact that Peach wasn't so helpless in this one, and saved Mario quite a few times! Actually, that might be one of the reasons why I liked it so much! It's always great when the stereotypes about us girl gamers are broken! Older kids will enjoy how when you finish each "chapter" (the whole game revolves around this book of profecies, so they thought that that would be cute to have), you get to see a little bit more about the background of the main villain. Something about losing his love to a curse... Who ended up actually being the sidekick he was fighting against! In fact, I loved the game so much, I named all of my fish after the main characters! I still have Count Gills...
Another thing is how Mario never speaks, yet you understand what he's saying to the other characters. That was a cute detail, made some parts much more funny!
The entire game is like a puzzle that you have to solve, making your way through each world, or "chapter", making new friends as you go, and learning about teamwork and patience! Takes about 20 or so hours to finish, and it even monitors your time! Yep, and as I'm writing this review (sorry it's long, it's a habit) my family members have all commented about how this was my game, and how much I loved it! I remember how excited I was when I finally defeated the villain, and like any other cheesy kid's video game, it ends happily, with him returning to his love, who was secretly your sidekick all along! Yeah, they go to a sweet dimension that ey created together, and live happily ever after. The last thing that you hear in the game is the sound of wedding bells.
Ding...
"And they all lived happily ever after. The end."

Teen, 13 years old Written byMajora's wrath May 3, 2016

Fun, if not a bit too complex for 8-year olds.

so basically this website said that the plot was simple, a quest to save a princess. . The plot has basically nothing to do with saving a princess, but saving all worlds from complete and utter destruction by one of the greatest tragic villains in games. Also, the humor is dark compared to the other Mario games, with topics such as suicide. here is the plot in in simplicity.

Long ago, there was a book written that was said to see the future. naturally, people sought it, and many wars were fought over it. But no one that read it ever found true happiness. That was because it held dark secrets not meant for human eyes.....

Fast forward a few hundred years or so, and a man of the tribe of darkness,who protected the book, fell off a cliff. His name was Blue\miere. Blumiere accidentally falls off a mountain, is knocked into unconsciousness, and is found on the brink of death at the cliff's base by Timpani, who nurses him back to health at her home. When Blumiere awakes, he is shocked to find that a human saved him as he is from the Tribe of Darkness. Timpani dismisses the thought and states that anyone with a heart will save an injured one.
The pair soon falls in love and Blumiere attempts to escape from his castle home to see her again. His abusive father, who scolds him for making such an attempt, catches him. He is able to sneak away nonetheless and becomes more and more interested in Timpani, who returns his feelings. Eventually, Blumiere's father finds out what is happening and threatens Timpani, telling her to stay away from the tribe. Timpani is scared for her life and tells Blumiere that they can no longer see each other.
Blumiere can't accept this and tells Timpani that they must go somewhere where their love will be accepted and where they can get married. Timpani agrees and the pair makes plans to leave. However, before these plans can be put into effect, Blumiere's father abducts Timpani and uses his dark magic to curse her to wander dimensions until her death. Blumiere is filled with shock and horror when she suddenly goes missing and demands to know where she is. His father reveals what he had done to her and tells Blumiere that it is for the best. Overcome by rage, he vows to seek revenge. He becomes count bleck and vows to destroy all worlds, just as his father destroyed his one true love..........................
And thus, the game begins. I will not tell you more.
Kid, 12 years old February 13, 2016

Awesome game, could be scary

This game revolves around Count Bleck, the main antagonist. He hypnotized Bowser and Peach and the marry. Count Bleck has the Dark Prognosticus. You go to Flipside and you start your journey. You meet Tippi, basically a guide for you, almost like Navi or Tatl from the Legend of Zelda. You go through 8 chapters and y meet many things. Some things that could scare kids are the characters. Mimi is just HORRIBLE. When you first meet her, you are forced so you can actually go through with the story to break her 1,000,000 rupee vase. Mario offers her golden coins, but she spits on them and makes you her slave until you can pay for it. Once you put it in the bank in her mansion, she explodes.AND YOU SEE SOME OF HER REMAINS ON THE GROUND. Once you go back to where you came in, she is perfectly well and alive, but she has shapeshifted into Merlee, her master. Once you figure out she is not the real Merlee, she poofs back into Mimi and the most horrid scene of the game comes on. When I was 8 and I first saw this I wouldn't play for 2 YEARS. First, her eyes turn pitch black and she is sporting a horror movie smile. Suddenly, you hear very realistic cracking noises as her head spins until it is upside down and keeps it spinning Exorsist style. Once she spins her head another ten times, it stops. Upside down. Her eyes also have DISSAPEARED IN THE PROCESS. With a jackpot sound that probably came straight from the casino, eight giant legs sprout from her now giant head and the only thing that makes it still look like herself is the TINY DANGLING BODY ON HER HEAD. She follows you around saying " Mimimimimimimimimimimimimimimi...." Until you get into the bathroom. But if you take too long in one room, she teleports in. Teleports. If you flip into 3D, you see she HAS GEARS IN HER UGLY SPIDER HEAD. In the bathroom, Mimi has shapeshifted into Merlee again and you have to do trivia t find who the real Mimi is using their birthday( Mimi's is March 5), and their favorite things ( Mimi like boys). If you getting right, Mimi is her ugly spider form again and you fight her in the bathroom. If you beat her, she once again blows up. Other than that, nothing else is as scary and the game is very funny.

Kid, 10 years old July 17, 2015

GREAT GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!

This game was one of the best Mario games I've ever played, You can get items and make new recipes from the chef Saffron and the other chef Dillis there are different worlds, and two city's called Flippside and floppside, you have a guide named Tippi and another named Merllon There is no swearing or blood, the only violence is when Mario or another hero gets hit and he stomps on enemy's. You can play as Peach, Bowser, Luigi, And Mario,. The end is sad but also really good, the puzzles you need to solve are sometimes hard but nothing insanely hard.

Teen, 14 years old Written byilikehotdogs July 2, 2015

Great Game

This game is ok for kids

Kid, 11 years old May 8, 2015

Decent Game

This game has classic Mario violence, stomping on enemies, kicking turtle shells at them, burning them with Bowser's fire, and brain washing. No sex at all, though Princess Peach and Mario like each other. Bowser used to be an enemy but now is part of the team. In one part of the game Bowser and peach almost get married. Mario and the team are good role models, they try to save the world from the infamous Count Bleck.

Teen, 16 years old Written bypixargurl August 7, 2014

FLIPPOW!

Super Paper Mario is definitely the black sheep of the Paper Mario series, being more of a platformer than an RPG (which I actually kind of prefer). The controls aren't half bad for an early Wii title, and should be fairly easy to most. One of y favorite gameplay elements is the ability to flip from 2D to 3D to find secrets and solve puzzles.
The only note I have for parents (and especially Christian parents) is the tone of the game. Despite its generally happy feel, the story is actually one of the darkest of any Mario game (the other being Thousand Year Door). The game revolves around Mario and Co. in a race against time to stop a dark prophesy that will end all worlds, and the heroes are faced with watching their allies turned against them, and even seeing first-hand the consequences of their failure (as in THE DESTRUCTION OF AN ENTIRE WORLD). But behind all that are some great messages about teamwork and friendship, and not to mention one of the saddest backstories I've ever heard.
So, all-in-all, this game is a fun, easy to pick up action platformer, but parents need to be aware of the darker undertone of the story. And with that, all I have left to say is...
"DUMPLINGS!"
"FLIPPOW!"
"L-ATER!"
"Ciao"

Kid, 11 years old March 12, 2014

As usual, the Mario RPGs don't disappoint.

What do I think about this game? Something that combines "Hotmazing" with "Wowtastic". The graphics, the story, the music, and just plain fun!

Violence: a bit more than usual in the Mario series. Nothing too graphic, but near the end, several characters die and/or need treatment.

Sex: Bowser and Peach get married at the start of the game, and Timpani and Blumiere get married at the start of the game.

Drinking/drugs/smoking: The entire gang consumes mushrooms.

Teen, 16 years old Written bytonytorresan884 December 25, 2013

Cool.

Super Paper Mario is awesome, simply awesome! Cool animation, fun to play, levels are epic, etc. This game rocks. Buy it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMitchell Charleston June 10, 2013

This game is crazily super good.

Super Paper Mario is a perfect game. Cool levels, awesome characters, and nice animation. Super Paper Mario gets 5 stars from me.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheHungerGames June 26, 2012

Super Paper Mario is Awesome!

OMG! I was so excited when i got this game, and I was not disappointed! I love the main scenario for the game, as well as the mini stories that occur. I love the pixls! They are very helpful! I also love the fact that everyone can talk except Mario, who only gets on his tiptoes and raises his hand! :P The levels, music, and backgrounds are very creative, not to mention the characters and gameplay! Each hero has his or her (Peach) special quality that can be used throughout the game. Mario can flip into 3-D mode, Peach can use a parasol to float or to block damage, Bowser can spew fire (even though he walks pretty slowly), and Luigi can do a super jump. The ending was so emotional and touching for me that i cried! :,( I never realized a Mario game could be so emotional! That aside, I love the game and recommend it for any Mario lover! Let's a-go!

Kid, 10 years old April 18, 2011

Really fun game!!!

This is a really fun game!
Compared to another Mario title, see Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story, it's great!
It most of the time has dopey violence like hitting people with hammers, you know, Mario type stuff.
All in all, it's a fun game!