All parent member reviews for Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Parent Written byAnonymousElitist October 22, 2011

This is THE informative Brawl post.

Hey guys, how's it going? I heard What They Play had closed, and someone else suggested this site, so I thought I'd check it out. Anyway, I gotta give some clarification on the whole "sexual innuendo" thing. First, an explanation of WHY what's going on is going on: Samus Aran, the main character from the Metroid games, is a female inside a Chozo suit (robotic armor). In the Metroid series, there were occasionally parts where the suit would glitch up/become defective, and she'd go without it. She'd wear what is basically an almost-but-not-quite skintight catsuit (Seriously, what else would you wear inside a suit like Iron Man's? A jeans/t-shirt/jacket combo just isn't gonna work, guys). Anyway, yeah, in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, each character has a "Final Smash" attack, which is usually a large attack used to even the score, if you're falling behind. Samus' Final Smash is to use the last of the Chozo suit's energy to fire a massive blast of energy across the screen to hit the other opponents. Once finished, the Chozo suit falls off, and you're now playing as the much faster/more agile "Zero Suit Samus". Anyway, no, it's not presented in a sexual way AT ALL. Technically you don't even see her getting out of the suit, the character's entirely enveloped in a big flash of light, and when it goes away, she's just standing there. And there isn't any jiggling, either. There were actually some complaints from "adult" fans when the game first came out because "the jiggle physics aren't realistic enough" (Hint: There aren't any "jiggle physics" there, guys). So yeah, a movie spy-like catsuit. It can be considered suggestive material, but it's very mild in this case. Look up "Zero Suit Samus moveset" on YouTube and see for yourself. You're the parent of your own kid, you decide if it's too bad for your kid, but at least do the research first. And the stuff this "zezima536" kid down the page posted? I got a good laugh outta that. The characters always look the same, never appearing to have damage of any kind, IE wounds, missing limbs, blood/gore, or arrows piercing a girl's crotch. (heh, creative description, kid). Yeah, if you time it right, you can kick a character in the crotch, BUT it's no different from hitting anywhere else. Always the same cartoon punch/kick sound effects, with the same animations of the characters flinching and getting knocked back a couple feet. The character stated to "suck players up and while they are in his mouth viciously suck on them with passion", is KIRBY, Nintendo's famous little pink puffball alien. He sucks players up like a vacuum ( he actually has a vacuum-like sound effect, too), quickly swallows them, and gains some of their abilities. There's no "vicious sucking" involved here, folks. The character that "sh*ts them out as an egg" is the Mario series' dinosaur, Yoshi. The little dino dude swallows enemies, and lays an egg with them in it, temporarily keeping them from fighting, until they can break out. Nothing really vulgar here, either. As for "seeing under the princesses dresses", you can't really do that either. When you pause the game, you can change the camera angle and take screen shots. However, the camera is ridiculously restricted. Not so you can't see character's privates, but so that you can't see that those parts (along with quite a bit more of the game) aren't detailed at all. The princesses literally don't have crotches. With a bit of technical "hacking", the camera limits can be removed, and people have found that the legs just cease to exist slightly above the knee. Princess Zelda's dress is always too long to see anything slightly higher than the ankle, and in the occasional instance where you can see Princess Peach's legs, she's got a half slip and leggings, so you can't see anything there, either. SO ANYWAY, that's my rant about that. As far as the actual gameplay goes, this is a great multiplayer game. It's fun, and it lasts quite a while. Every match is different. There's a huge combination of characters, stages, and game modes, and there's also the fun random items and weapons appearing in the middle of a match, which can turn the tables quickly. To accurately describe it all would make this already long post two or three times longer. Just look up "Super Smash Bros. Brawl gameplay" on YouTube and see for yourself, then go buy a copy and play it, because Youtube videos don't do it justice, either. I feel sorry for anyone who hasn't played a Smash Bros. game yet. ...I also feel sorry for anyone who seriously had no idea who Kirby was and had to read through that part of this post. (The Kirby games are awesome for kids, by the way. Look 'em up. They're as tame as it gets, and they're pretty easy, made with beginning/younger gamers in mind) Anyway, that's just about it for now. I'm getting tired of writing this. RECAP TIME: 1. This is an awesome game, and everyone who's capable of playing it should. 2. There are VERY, SUPER-INCREDIBLY MILD suggestive themes. Quite a bit less harmful than most of the crap most of you let your kids see on Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, and Nickelodeon these days. Get over it. 3. Google/Youtube, ESRB, and the game's official website are your friends. Alright, NOW I'm done.
Adult Written byeveryguy April 9, 2008

Great fun but not necessarily the best influence

I have to admit. I love playing Brawl. I have three kids, and they love it too. The kids their age at school and church love it. They play it online together, and even organize parties where they have tournaments. From an entertainment standpoint this game is a clear winner. But there are some concerns. Although the violence is cartoon violence, it is still violence. If a person spends hours trying to inflict maximum damage to other players on screen, how can it not carry through to real life? My kids seem more aggressive and less tolerant during and after playing this game. I feel it too when I play. Also, because the is so entertaining, game play can easily override other concerns in a kid's life like school work, hobbies, and the like. After getting this, for a while, life in my house ended up seeming like one big Brawl-fest. Things have calmed down little, but it seems like Brawl is still the most popular thing among the kids. So while I recommend Brawl as an enjoyable game that can bring kids (and even their Dads) together, I think parents should take care to limit game play, and take action to ensure the violence in the game does not carry over into real life.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bygamereviewer6469 February 18, 2011

OK for Tweens

My only Concern is that Wario has a "Fart on the Face" move, but it think 10 and older can handle it, the Violence has a few Characters with knives, hammers, and guns. Overall, dont buy this for kids 1-9. They could use Wario as a role model, which isnt good.
Adult Written byRIPsquishy August 10, 2010

GREAT!

seriously i love this game so much. it's so much fun to play! i doubt parents will have a problem with this...the girls aren't dressed sexy, there's no blood, & no bad words.
Adult Written byTatem July 13, 2015

Great game

This game is really fun but should be used by kids 10+. Its a bunch of Mario characters who battle each other in battle grounds or islands. Includes mild cartoon violence.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byrichardlinane September 16, 2012

The design of "Brawl" is alarmingly addictive.

This game is extremely addictive. Some children that will have difficulty stopping game play when they are trying to achive a new character or level. I am writing this as a word of caution to those parents who may have concerns of this nature. We have taken this game from our child as he has on many occations thrown tantrums due to his game playing time ending but not being able to stop playng the game.
Adult Written bymason3 November 18, 2012

My favorite wii game

Wonderful Wii fighting game. It is violent but not in a bad way. When players get hit they just fly back without blood or gore. It does promote the Nintendo games but not directly. Nothing bad in my opinion.
Adult Written byTrami Nguyen March 31, 2012

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

My older brother, Minh-Vu, my cousins and I play Super Smash Bros. Brawl since when I was 17 years old.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bylovekind May 24, 2010

perfect for 8+

Now this is a fun gmae I actually am haning so much fun and I getting very close to winning my first battle, Nintendo you rock.
Adult Written byMasterChief2 May 17, 2010

This is a perfect game for all ages and the rating is not justified

This game is incredibly tame and I am shocked that it gained a T rating. If it has a T rating then it should be along the lines of games like Batman Arkham Asylum right? Wrong! There is no blood, no language, no suggestive themes, nothing. If you let your child watch Bugs Bunny then this will be fine. Many parts of the game are comedic. The game might not be great for someone who is 4 if you play the story mode because there are parts that might scare them. However the arcade mode is acceptable for all ages. An example of play would be if Mario fought Bowser. Mario punches Bowser and Bowser moves back a few inches.... that is the extent of the violence. No cries of pain, no blood, no twisting around in pain.... nothing. I am sorry if this seems like a "rage" review because I don't intend it to be, but this is the worst rating of a game I have ever seen. This game should be rated E.
Adult Written byWarri August 4, 2010

Good for 9+

The game has cartoon violence that is constant non-stoping but not graphic or disturbing
Parent of a 8, 12, and 15 year old Written byHelen Bonder June 30, 2013

Great game!

This game was great. My 8 year old enjoyed it. I've been very strict on what my children play. They were asking for this game. So I let them rent it and they loved it. Very cartooney. If you can watch Tom & Jerry then you can play this.
Parent of a 12 and 16 year old Written byOhioGrown February 14, 2011

Great for all but the youngest of gamers

Amazing! My fam of four has a blast playing this game and when my kids have friends for it they enjoy it as well. I cannot imagine anybody being offended by this game. Only one problem: Samus wears a skin tight, curve-showing suit when she sheds her armor, and some families might not want their kids to see that. The game is a fighting game, but the violenceis totally clean and cartoonish, maybe not for the youngest of gamers. But if you want a great game with all of your favorite nintendo characters, this is the one for you.
Adult Written byChrisH. November 25, 2014
Adult Written bybullblitzdog April 28, 2009

love it!

i love this game....its a "when ur bored" game but overall i give this game a 4 out of 5. i love using mario and marth also link......its pretty fun game. B+
Adult Written byLeoIM May 26, 2013

HEY!

Parent of a 6 year old Written bylsdbird September 3, 2010

good for 6+

Man Nintendo are on fire as SSB Brawl gets my GOTY 2008 and it is very entertaining.
Parent Written bytygertay September 19, 2011

Great video game with Looney Tune like violence.

This is one of the best Wii games our family has ever played. This explains why the used game was priced close to the new one. It is a fighting game, so a parent should make sure their children are mature enough to appreciate that while it is OK for cartoon characters to fight, this is not acceptable for children or adults. The violence is akin to cartoon violence found in Looney Tunes.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bydavidmal770 December 16, 2009

Should not be rated Teen, my 6 yr old loves it

My 6 year old loves playing this game. The 3 min battles are good when he has 30 minutes to play before bedtime. Makes him feel like he's played a long time after 10 games. The adventure mode is equal parts story and adventure. It has heroes and villians. But nothing too scary. I don't understand why this is rated Teen. There's nothing I would object to in this game. We also own Mario Tennis and Baseball, but he quickly got bored with these arcade-type games. The adventure mode is definitely the best in this game. He can really be involved with the story. This game has got lots of content. He likes going through all the trophies and stickers. Do teens really go through all that content? I'm eagerly trying to find another game that's as much fun as this one. Highly recommend.
Parent Written bywrgtyp November 25, 2011

get over it

tom and jerry is far more violent then this