Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Terraria

Finicky but fun Minecraft-style game set in a 2D world.

Adult Written byAndrea C. November 16, 2016

Inappropriate

The makers of this game thought it would be funny to name components of this game after things clearly inappropriate for children and sexual in nature. So far, my 9 year old has mentioned a character named "Morning Wood", something is called a "Golden Shower" and they can earn "Master Bate" power. I'm tired of explaining that these phrases cannot be repeated and I'm concerned what else is hidden deeper within the game.
Adult Written byConcernedparent112 April 7, 2013

Great Game!!!

This is a simple, fun game where you can create anything you can imagine. By the way, I myself play this game and I find it a lot of fun. I know that it says that there is a lot of violence, but no more than in a Lego game or even minecraft itself. The only Drinking/Smoking is Ale, which is like a power up drink. Besides those small factors, it is a great game and I encourage young kids (7-up) to play it as it enhances creativity and perception.
Adult Written bywilliame April 4, 2015

HEED THE RATING.

EVRYONE needs to know that terraria is a GREAT game, and makes Minecraft look like poop pie. But what else everyone needs to know is that terraria is violent. You see that "Blood and Gore" descriptor on the back of the box? It's there for a reason. I've seen kids in my class (10 - 11) play COD, and that is ridiculous. Terraria has some SCARY bosses. Case in point, don't buy this for your 8 year old. don't buy this for your 9 year old. don't buy this for your 10 year old. If your 11 year old is good enough at being responsible, then buy it for them. Unlike other T games I've played, which are for the teen area, this is for TEENS.

Adult Written byTheEternalLaws June 20, 2013

The best game in History.

Very great game, my son plays it all the free time he gets. But one problem is the money, you can buy Guns from the arms dealer, making you obsessed with getting enough money to buy the minishark, which costs 30 gold, and hard to get. But I play it myself, and occasionally me and my son play together. AMAZING GAME FOR ALL AGES.
Parent of an infant, 5, 7, 10, 14, and 18+ year old Written byJoejoejoejoe April 27, 2013

The best

Amazing game love it buy it right now

Adult Written byDataStream June 30, 2015

You Guys Forget that These Aren't Intended for Kids...

I should mention this in rebuttal to people complaining about the controls. When I started playing Terraria (on PC), I had only just started learning from Minecraft how to properly move in a video game with the WASD keys, and I picked up Terraria's movement and menu system fairly quickly. If I can do it with little background in 'action' games, I think an eleven-year-old can pick it up easily enough. With that aside, I just wanted to say that games like Terraria, Minecraft, and many other games were not intended for kids. The developers did not design these games with kids in mind. They designed them to be fun. You have to keep this in mind when looking at video games for your kids. This doesn't mean that kids can't play these games but, well, this is like letting your kids watch The Animaniacs; questionable content may pop up where you don't expect it.

Adult Written byTheNardDog June 7, 2013

Terreria - Bad 2D Version Of Minecraft

A 2D bad version of minecraft. I was very dissapointed, and frankly a waist of my good 10$. The game is very hard to control and is actually kind of dark in some weird ways. Like I witnessed a bunny jump off a cliff and it hit the ground and showed some minimal blood. Players are also able to play online with their friends just like in minecraft, just a little bit more secure. Thanks for reading this review!

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written byMTheEpic October 11, 2015

REALLY??? AGE 11???

Although lots of gore, it is NOT AGE 11! SERIOUSLY??? Nothing is bad about this game in terms of appropriateness except violence. In terms of how good it is, GREAT GAME! I still don't get how people compare it to Minecraft, because in my opinion, way better.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byPepsi October 30, 2014

Awsome game

I've only been playing on terreria for a day and it is amazing!

Adult Written byJacqueS 1 October 4, 2015

Greifing

Just wondering why some kids destroy other kids worlds, and what can be done about it?

Adult Written byMairon January 22, 2016

"Minecraft" for Teens!

Keep in mind, this game *is not* Minecraft. The cartoony look may give a sense of innocence, but there is plenty of violence, nightmarish Lovecraft-ian creatures, crude humor(most references will fly over younger one's heads), and large difficulty spikes that will keep younger children from enjoying it. If you do allow your kids to play, keep in mind that this game is difficult and violent! The "Original poster" clearly had not put too much time or effort into the game. There is a split focus on building houses for your NPCs("Non-Player Characters") who will arrive when certain criteria are met, digging(spelunking) to find treasure chest and ores which can be refined to create armor and weapons, and killing enemies to get certain items which includes killing bosses that get exponentially harder as the game goes on. As far as which "port" you should play, go for the computer version if possible, it is the most up to date and often goes on sell for only $2.50 and is normally sold for $10. The console versions(Xbox, DS, and Playstation) are the furthest behind(they will be caught up with phones in Feb. 2016) and the most expensive being sold at $20, with phone versions being a bit more up to date and being sold at $5. There is no cross platform play available, meaning Xbox plays with Xbox, PC with PC, and even as far as Amazon with Amazon on the phone versions. A few things parents could talk to their kids about is the creativity vs survival element in the game. "Do I decorate my NPCs house "waste" valuable resources? Or do I make their houses out of dirt and keep the resources to put to use elsewhere?" how can that be applied to real life? This may also be a chance to introduce teens to H.P. Lovecraft seeing that most of the bosses have a "Cthulhu" theme.

Adult Written byGeorge Robson March 1, 2016

My god!!! So much better then Minecraft!!!!

This game has very mild violence and the violence that there is,is pixelated. This game is amazing and will do no harm. I have loved playing it with my son.

Adult Written bythecookie December 4, 2015

Great Game!

Terreria is a really fun game that the whole family can play! A bit of violence might scare the younger viewers, but there is no blood.

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written bylouish September 26, 2015

Great any person 8 or over

I think it's a very good and creative game for young people. It's very like minecraft and I think it's an OK game

Adult Written bydannym February 19, 2015
Adult Written byAlec H. March 2, 2017

Terraria sucks so bad!

I have tried digging within an mine shaft and I got killed by an poison dart! Not very fun anymore! disappointed

Adult Written byThorhusky December 8, 2015

Basic glitch review

Terraria is a game with a lot of glitches but there rare or maybe uncommon and these are a few: cannot open chests when you first open up a world there's invisible wood which is solid and it's very discouraging. But if the device your playing on is new and working well and no glitch are experienced the game is very very fun! So if the iPad is new get the game!

Adult Written byKristina C. May 27, 2017

Disappoint they include alcohol in game for kids

My son really wants to play this game and many aspects sound fun but I was sad to see there is alcohol built into the game which when found and drank gives you good effects in the game for a short while and dizziness. Why do you need to give young children the idea that alcohol should be sought out and used cause it is such a good thing. I just think it is irresponsible for a game marketed for 11 year olds! I find it sad they put this in a fun kids game where many will chose to use the game for other reasons and have their kids attitudes towards alcohol affected at a young age. Disappointed in the game developers! Kids don't need practice virtually drinking!

Adult Written byW8less F. May 23, 2018

Referring to comment below:

Me and my family are huge fans of Terraria: The items your child is referring to are, The Master Bait. A fishing Item. The best in the game. Mourning Wood. An enemies that spawns during the Pumpkin Moon event. It is a high level enemies that takes form of a smiling tree that shoots flames. Golden Shower. This is a weapon that fires a magic stream of Ichor (The blood of evil bosses.) Sorry for any misconceptions.

Adult Written byZ K April 20, 2017

Not Minecraft

This is a very complex sandbox builder with dark undertones and more content than most AAA titles. It's surprisingly complex and very challenging at times. There is a large amount of blood and gore whenever an enemy or player dies (albeit pixelated).