Kid reviews for Terraria

Finicky but fun Minecraft-style game set in a 2D world.

Kid, 11 years old April 3, 2013

ITS SO DARN AWESOME!!!

Epic Minecraft-inspired game really shouldn't be rated Teen. It is easy to learn how to play, and quite fun. You can build a house, recruit NPCs, slay monsters, mine for precious ores, craft, and much more. EPIC! MUST BUY THIS GAME!

Teen, 15 years old Written byTheSuperSaiyan April 22, 2013

Don't judge by Xbox Port.

Though it may seem it is riding on the wave of Minecraft fame, this is not entirely true. It's completely a new game in itself. As minecraft is mostly about building, Terarria is more focused on adventuring, fighting monsters and collecting all kinds of items and weapons. There are all kind of environments with different kinds of blocks, creatures and items to explore. The combat is fun and simple, and there are many bosses to test your skill. As for the controls, the Xbox 360 edition did not work out well, as the controls were clunky and frustrating, but you really should play the PC version, which controlled smoothly and effortlessly. Overall one of the most imaginative and fun games I have played in a long time.

Kid, 12 years old May 23, 2013

Awesome, creative game with lots of creativity and action.

Gee, I don't even know where to start!. I bought this game 5 months ago from steam during a sale and it has quickly grown on me!.Terraria is like if Super Mario bros. and Minecraft had a kid and decided to throw in hundreds of items!.Parents should note that there is a minimal amount of violence and that there is no way to turn it off. Also that this game contains monster summoning rituals 1 of which involves a living sacrifice. there are eight boss monsters, some of which might be scary for younger players. But all that aside, Terraria is an awesome sandbox style retro-graphic platformer game that has a lot of potential for learning, fun, creation and community Other parent concerns: Violence is mild and blocky. Game contains no sexual content or profanity. Player concerns: Is a little bit slow to learn but once you get the hang of it, you can have a lot of fun!. Occasionally events involving increased number of monsters happen (Blood moon, goblin invasion) Very high amount of player customization On an ending note I think this game is great for kids 8 and older who are tired of the new gory first person shooters that are constantly coming out.

Teen, 16 years old Written byPhoenixfire12003 March 24, 2014

Great sandbox game, possibly better than MineCraft!

Terraria is an amazing 2-D sandbox game. However, I don't believe CSM truly talks about violence enough. There is a heavy amount of Gore, much more than expected. For example: say there was a bunny hopping around; and I killed it, its limbs would fly off, and release blood. Thanks for reading! :)

Kid, 11 years old July 22, 2013

Terraria

My friend has this game, and his 8 year old brother has been playing it since he was six. It is not that bad. It can get a bit creepy, but nothing a 7 year old cannot deal with. Generally a PG in my book. It has online modes, and for that reason i would say that be careful because anything can happen online.

Kid, 11 years old April 4, 2013

Best game EVAR!

This game is just awesome! It's like Minecraft but has over 10x the items!

Teen, 13 years old Written byheavyweaponsguy August 28, 2014

it has some gore

the game is great but is has mild gore and some dialogue is suggestev and some bosses may scare young kids

Teen, 14 years old Written byEnglishPenguin June 14, 2016

Fun pixalated survival game places emphasis on action

Terraria is a wonderful and colorful game, and no, it is not minecraft, or a look-a-like. That is a common misconception about the game, so first I will explain the difference so a new player will not be confused by the stereotyping of this game. Minecraft survival gets boring fast, (for most people at least) Terraria focuses so much more energy on having a unique singleplayer (they have multiplayer) experience. Second, Minecraft is mostly bought for its multiplayer, so sorry everyone who gets annoyed about Terraria for copying Minecrafts block placement system since all your doing is playing hunger games or the likes. Terraria focuses so much on having you hunt for unique items, swords that shoot lighting, magical flowers, and dozens of ores. You could play the game all the way through and not collect half of the items in it. Also as I said before Terraria's main goal is to be an action packed game, this is where the one parental concern with this game comes into play, when enemies are hit the throw of blood pixels, then when killed explode into bloody pixalated chunks, this isn't as bad as it sounds, plus, you can turn it off in options. If you want a fun, action packed game that isn't the newest first person shooter, Terraria is great pick for kids, teens, even adults.
Kid, 10 years old September 27, 2015

Terraria is a great game, but some scary bosses

Terraria is a great game with lot's of creativity and thinking involved. How ever, the bosses are somewhat disturbing. There's the Eye of Cthulu, which is a giant, flying eye with the tendons still attached, the Brain of Cthulu which is a giant brain that flies around, a Wall of Flesh which is, as the name states, a wall of flesh. These are just three of the 20 something bosses. These bosses are necessary to progress in the game and get more fun things (like confetti guns and disco balls!) they are in 8 bit, like old video games, but beautifully modeled and every pixel placed in such a way that they look HORRIFYINGLY REAL AND SCARY!!!! If you think your child could handle this, then this is a great game, but I recommend looking at the pictures of them on Google before you decide.
Teen, 16 years old Written byLoker July 18, 2014

Dig, Fight, Build - Terraria

Terraria is a fun 2D game where you create your own character and explore your world. You can craft items to help you survive, battle, or build. The game is centered on defeating several tough bosses, ranging from somewhat spooky such as the giant mechanical skull, Skeletron Prime, or just silly, like the incredibly large shark/fish Duke Fishron. In order to prepare to fight these bosses, the player must find materials to craft their own gear. They'll go from makeshift wooden armor to the fabled Hallowed Armor, earning and finding weapons on the way. The game has violence in it which most of the time cannot be avoided. Finding some materials and sometimes just surviving means defending yourself against monsters small and large, ranging from floating eyeballs to surprisingly dangerous unicorns. When killed, enemies can splat pixelated blood that isn't very realistic. Most children and almost all teens can handle this. While not supposed to be a learning game, it does have some learning aspects, such as logical thinking. If I want to craft this sword, what items are most likely to make it? Besides that, it's not too inappropriate. The only other thing inappropriate in the game is that the player can craft a keg and brew their own ale and get an effect on their character called "tipsy." Besides this, I'd say it's good for anyone 8 and up.

Kid, 11 years old October 11, 2013

Best. Game. Ever.

Yes, this game may have blood and gore, but so little I didn't even notice it until my third month of playing. Like Minecraft, this game does not have any chat filter for swear words in multiplayer servers, so I would be careful about that. But it does give the user a good opportunity to be creative. Compared to Minecraft, the building/creativity of Terraria isn't as good. However, the amount of items Terraria has is enormous compared to Minecraft- over 1,600 with the recent 1.2 update. There is also a mobile iOS, Android, and more coming soon and console PS3 and Xbox 360 version. Also, in Terraria, the user can be more creative in how they survive, as the user can only go 1 of 3 paths- melee swords, flails, spears, boomerangs, ranged guns, bows or magic magical spells, staffs, ect. Because of this, it makes a very good cooperative experience with friends or family. Me, my brother, and my friend are an example- I am magic, my brother is ranged, and my friend is melee. Also, the game may be a bit boring at first- don't let that fool you. The boring mining, caving, and digging all pays in a rewarding way. With the 1.2 update, there are over 200 mobs, including monsters, NPC people you can buy and sell items with and use to perform tasks, and 12 bosses. The console version, when it has been updated to 1.2, will have 13 bosses. Overall, Terraria makes for a very fun and interesting experience, and I would suggest it. Note that if you want to get Terraria, you need a Steam account.

Kid, 2 years old June 23, 2014

That one boss...

PLANTERA!!!!!!

Kid, 10 years old December 13, 2014

BEST GAME EVER!!!!!!!!!

Terraria is a Fun game. You get to fight lots of monsters. There is small squares of blood sometimes. Also The eye of cthulhu and the twins have some blood on them because they are floating eyes. You can also drink ale. I give it 10/10
Kid, 9 years old July 18, 2014

The best game on Earth!!!

It's 2D minecraft world like game but better than minecraft.
Kid, 9 years old January 30, 2015

BEST GAME EVER IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD

Great game, just plain ol' great 2d minecraft based game with tons of different computer-controlled characters you get to buy from using in game coins you earn by slaying beasts, monsters, and bosses. But, to get computer controlled people you have to build and entire room with no holes in it as you can in minectraft, and it has to have a light source and 2 chairs and a table. The game is realistic when you are building.

Teen, 16 years old Written byJoer'ct D. September 16, 2017

Great game, but NOT for young kids

For starters, I'm a teen that has been playing this game since the age of 13. In the 3 short years that I've played this game, I have learned the ins and outs of the game, such as how to attract NPCs to the village that you build and strategies you can use to defeat multiple bosses. I have also concluded that, while the game may be fun, it is not for young audiences. The first issue I've found that cements this belief is the difficulty of the game. Sure, ALMOST all versions of the game have a tutorial, with the exception of the PC version, but it doesn't go any farther than teaching you how to mine and build houses. Secondly, the amount of violence in the game can be to much for younger children to handle, especially when enemies come at you in hordes. To top the violence off, enemies explode into a massive pile of gore when killed, which forced the ESRB to edit the Blood descriptor on the back of the box to Blood and Gore. Granted, the gore is pixalated, but it's still gore. Thirdly, there are some items that some parents may find inappropriate and/or offensive. One such item is the "Golden Shower." Another thing while I'm here, some dialogue may be inappropriate, as I have run into a piece of dialogue sexual in nature from the machanic concerning the arms dealer. There is also an NPC that wears bikini-type clothing. Another thing that may keep younger players from enjoying the game is difficulty spike once you've defeated a boss by the name of "The Wall of Flesh" in Normal mode. This boss is usually hard to beat, as it's a hard mode boss in Normal mode, moves really quick, and usually takes a lot of preparation to pull off. Also note, the appearance of some bosses may frighten or disturb younger gamers, as there are several "gruesome" looking bosses (the eye and brain of Chthulu, for example.) There is also alcohol use in this game, but is very mild in comparison to other games, as you only have ale, which boosts your attack output in exchange for lowering your defense. One thing that families can discuss while playing this game is the conservation of certain resources and sale of certain items made, as some resources/items are hard to aquire, and once sold cannot be gotten back. CHRISTIAN FAMILIES: listen to me on this one. Don't let your kids play this if they are under the age of 13, as this game also contains objects of the supernatural and occult. There is the presence of demons, as well as magic and 2 voodoo dolls (one for the guide, who you must sacrifice to summon the Wall of Flesh, and one of the Clother, which once sacrificed allows you to summon Skeletron again.) Overall, it is a good game, but heed my warnings. Don't let anyone under the age of 13 play, and if you do, make sure they are a mature 11 or 12 year old. Also note, there is online play, so be careful and know who it is exactly you are playing with. Edit: while doing a fishing playthrough, I aquired a bait item called the Master bait. You also get a dialogue drom the Dryad NPC when the Arms Dealer NPC is present hinting at the fact that the Arms Dealer flirts with the Dryad.

Kid, 8 years old October 19, 2013

Terraria

It has tons of blood,when you kill things its really gory,i have it and thats how i know.Its fine for kids though.you dont even kill humans,you kill TONS of different monsters and animals though.

Teen, 15 years old Written byKitty Dyson April 27, 2017

Outstanding, quality game

first off, this game definitely deserves it's popularity. it has really everything you can want in a game. not what other people think, it is NOT just a 2D version of Minecraft. sure it has the whole building, mining, exploring theme, but that's just the half of it. It has a unique, creative plot, and several things you need to do in order to advance, and is actually more of a fantasy RPG like game than a sandbox one. people are right in some ways however, it does have some scary looking bosses such as the "wall of flesh" and the "moon lord" which is mandatory for progressing further. it may have some mild dark themes as well, like burning voodoo dolls, cultists at the dungeon, some mildly innapropriate names of items, and enemies such as reapers and blood zombies. but these ARE mild, and shouldnt be a bother. there is violence involved, but there is a setting for turning off "blood and gore" in the menus. I find this gave VERY enjoyable and entertaining. it has a lot of replay value, because every time you play its something new. it can really teach some kids the realities of unfair life and the effort needed to accomplish things. Thanks for reading! (this review was on the pc version of Terraria, meaning it has more features than the other versions like console)

Kid, 12 years old September 17, 2016

My Favorite Video Game, Alongside Skylanders

In my opinion, this is the best video game ever made, along with Skylanders. I think Terraria is much better than Minecraft, and I even prefer the graphics, because something about the 16 bit art style is exceptional to me. In addition, this game has more realistic combat than Minecraft! Speaking of which, onto content! Violence: I don't know what to say: either it is really realistic, or all really cartoon. As you go on your side scrolling mission of exploring terrain, you also craft objects and battle villains. As you search and mine for dirt, wood, and metallic ores, you always encounter fantastical and cartoon hostiles (i.e. ooze monsters, omnivores, zombies, penguins, bats, Derplings, flying eyes). When you die, the manner of death is detailed in description (i.e. [Your name]'s face was torn off by [Killer], [Your name] was eviscerated by [Killer], “[Your Name] was brutally dissected by [Killer]”, “...entrails were ripped out…”, “...eviscerated…”) Blood: I don't know if I should describe it as either blood and gore or just blood. As you slash hostiles with blades and axes, small drops of blood appear when you strike them, and burst into pieces when murdered. Suggestive Themes: Either moderate or mild. There are the following innuendos/suggestive material: Arms Dealer says “I want what Allison is sellin. What do you mean, she don't sell anything?" and "Too bad she's such a prude.” and Nurse says “I don't give happy endings" and “That's not the biggest I've ever seen. Yeah, I've seen bigger wounds for sure.” Alcohol: Either moderate usage or just references. You can craft power-ups that include kegs, and mugs of ale; your status indicates “tipsy” after consuming ale.

Kid, 9 years old September 29, 2013