All parent member reviews for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Adult Written byDKR725 February 2, 2011

The REAL review of TES4

Okay, here is the honest truth about this game, it's amazing. As for content, I laugh at the fact that the game is rated M. Especially since "Blood and Gore" are labeled on the game package. The reason for this is that the blood that you see in the game is so mild, it resembles that of a T rated game. There is some mild language and innuendos along the way, but it is pretty hard to find them. The most important part of my review, is to let other parents understand something they most likely did not know: Oblivion was originally rated T, but later was changed to M on account of "mods" made by a third party hacker which had nothing to do with the game itself, which added intense blood and gore and nudity to the game. Basically, if you simply buy the game in a store, you will be purchasing a T rated game with an M rated label.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bymrh73 August 21, 2014

Setting the record straight!

Oblivion is an excellent, absorbing, expansive game, that will enthrall any child (or adult) interested in a swords-and-sorcery type world. It won numerous Game-of-the-Year awards in 2006, and was one of the major games that caused people to upgrade their original Xbox to the Xbox 360. Although the graphics have aged a bit, it's still very pretty to look at, and the gameplay is still captivating. It should be noted that it was originally rated T, and I have the PC game box to prove it, as I've been playing it off and on since its original release. Bethesda later caved to parental pressure to change the rating to M based on the release of unauthorized, downloadable, third-party mods FOR THE PC VERSION ONLY, which let you play the game with topless females. The actual game content that you buy in the store (PC or console) is still a T-rated game!!! There are 5 aspects to Oblivion's rating label that I'll address: 1) Blood and Gore - if your child has seen the Indiana Jones or Lord of the Rings movies, they've seen gorier stuff than this. There will be a bit of blood on your sword after a battle that soon fades away. There are cartoonish-looking corpses and zombies strewn about some dungeons (if you want more realistic ones, look to the game's sequel, Skyrim). Nothing terribly egregious. 2) Language - VERY sparse. Of the thousands of lines of spoken dialogue in the game, "h**l" and "d**n" might get used a handful of times. Oblivion is NOT Grand Theft Auto. No f-bombs, s-bombs, or G-d's. When there is any mild cursing, it's usually contextually appropriate, related to a pretty intense occurrence in the game. 3) Sexual Themes - this is pretty laughable. You can strip dead bodies down to their drab, unflattering underwear when you loot them for armor, which might elicit a giggle or two the first time your son sees it, but it quickly becomes a non-issue. There are a few sporadic instances of double-entendre (a line of dialogue or two, and a book), but if your pre-teen understands it, then you've got other problems than what's in Oblivion. It will likely sail over their heads. 4) Use of Alcohol - another laughable one. Oblivion is no more corrupting from this standpoint than a stroll through the grocery aisle. Yes, there are alcohol bottles everywhere in the game, but it just blends in with all the other useless detritus you see on shelves and tables (e.g. bowls, spoons, flower pots, etc...). One town specializes in making wine, complete with vineyards outside the town walls, but no one is seen drinking it. All the alcohol is in plain, non-descript, brown (beer, mead, ale) or purple bottles (wine), and you derive no net benefit from drinking it, so what's the point? You can't get drunk and stagger around, and other than a temporary numerical change in your stats, you won't notice any difference in your character. There is one character in the game you might meet who does slur his words and act drunk, well, because he is; but, your quest to reunite him with his long-lost twin brother results in him changing his ways and going sober. What's so bad about that? 5) Violence - okay, yeah, it's violent, but only as much as you make it. I suppose you could wander around picking flowers for hours on end and never raise an angry hand to anything or anyone if you wanted to. Even at its most violent, it's still much less violent than any first-person shooter. And there are consequences for getting out of line and attacking innocent people. My son tried becoming the town bully...once. He soon got his comeuppance from the town guard. In short, Oblivion is pretty tame as far as mature content goes, compared to other RPG's. It's also much less dark than either its predecessor (Morrowind) or its sequel (Skyrim), and as such, is probably the most approachable of the Elder Scrolls games for kids. The warning label should really just say, "Obsessive-compulsives approach with extreme caution."
Parent of a 8, 10, and 12 year old Written byc-nerd April 7, 2011

Ok for young adults responsible for their own decisions.

My 10 year daughter visits her friend who has it. Every time she came home from the friends house she had a transference of anger and violent tendencies. A sibling finally connected the dots in that she was playing Oblivion just before coming home. The friends house is now out of bounds and the positive behavior has been restored. When she's old enough to discerns fiction from reality (age 18+) then, she can make her own decisions. This transference of violent behavior after playing the game should be an alert for most parents. Be aware.
Adult Written byOblivion lover434 July 30, 2010

perfet game for kids +12

I think its a good game. it has its flaws like: you can kill almost everythin and everyone and there is drinking but not very much and they swear very little like they might say h*ll or b*stard or d*mn
Parent Written byBitten-Off-More January 11, 2013

LEARNING

The Joys of Oblivion

Although Oblivion is "M" rated, the only issues I have to be concerned about are the "violence" in the game. But unlike "Assassins Creed" or FPSs (that her friends have access to!) the violence is against mythical creatures and people, using medieval weapons and spells. No guns. Also, quite a bit of thinking and consideration goes into how best achieve an objective, using the resources at your disposal. Then thinking about how you'd like you character to progress. Two of the things that interested my girls were the detail involved in "designing" a characters face, and the clothing the characters can wear. Admittedly, in the game you can see characters stripped down to their underwear, but it's no wore than what can be seen at a beach or on a TV advert. The graphics are beautiful, and my daughter spends time roving the land just to see it. Grass, trees, mountains, sunsets. Houses can be bought and furnished, you can have companions. Just about any current PC (as of 2012) can run this program. I highly recommend this game for 10 and over.
Adult Written byidk lol July 8, 2011

Are you on drugs?

None of the crap that people are saying is on here actually applies. Face reality, people!!! THERE ARE NO SEXUAL THEMES IN THE GAME!!!!! If you murder or commit a crime, there are repurcussions, and it makes people hate you in this game. It actually says NOT to do this stuff, and the game was actually rated T for teen. This game gives detail, but does not promote bad behavior.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bykcgunesq January 18, 2011

Great game, with a few considerations for pre-tweens.

The optional "Dark Brotherhood" quest line is the darkest part of the game and really adds little overall. Except for DB, players characters can play rather virtuously. Violence is not especially graphic. Although alcohol is available, it is not glamorized or prominent. There is very little reason to drink it in the game and it has negative consequences. One can easily complete the entire game without drinking, as far as I recall. Alcohol only enters the game in that players may find bottles of wine or beer and it can be sold along with other found items to merchants for money. Although most characters can be stripped to underwear, this is only possible on NPC and only after they are "dead". It is not provocative or lurid. It occurs as a process of taking the armor or clothing. Language is overall, quite mild. "Bad" behavior has in-game consequences and treating people nicely is often rewarded.
Adult Written byCheeChee April 9, 2008

Best Game Ever. Period.

Encourages autonomy, careful planning, ability to read a map, ability to follow instructions, and interpersonal skills. The havoc phsycis engine makes things act like they do in the real world. It's very tame. Younger kids are not going to understand the sex jokes (if they manage to find them, there are only a couple of missions), kids don't know what ale is, or if they do, they no its a no-go in real life. People. Stop over sheltering your children--they see and hear stuff like this at school.
Adult Written byJuggernaut93 May 4, 2011

Good fantasy rpg

Oblivion is a game I own and enjoy, but it may be difficult for parents to decide whether it is kid-friendly. This is because of the sheer scope of the game. You can do almost anything. It is fully possible to charge through the streets, cutting down everyone in sight, although you will be pursued by guards and law enforcement agents if you do. Or you can be a perfectly righteous crusader for justice. The number of possibilities is nearly infinite. Some things that are constant are: Violence. Usually, the violence in Oblivion is rather mild, no dismemberment or head-chopping, they just fall down, with small amounts of blood. However, there are some fairly disturbing things. When the player encounters zombies, they are VERY disturbing looking. They look like a human than has been fed through a wood-chipper, and then haphazardly put back together. They are stark naked (although partially skeletal, so no real nudity is shown) they do however, show lungs, intestines, and occasionally exposed brains. Similarly mutilated corpses can be found in the lairs of necromancers and other monsters. As for sex, there really is none, except the occasional mild innuendo. You have the choice, after killing a foe, to take all of their armor, leaving them only in underwear. No nudity. Language wise, it's seldom encountered, with the worst word being d***. I would recommend this game for tweens and up, if they can handle some of the more disgusting monsters.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bytruefact1 March 30, 2011

perfect for 12

this is a great game ,and this game is even good for the religious type,it has violence but it is similar to the legend of zelda's violence which isn't much it is fun and has no sex no intense violence no nudity and no gore.
Parent Written byjohnwalden87 July 27, 2010

Good game!

I play this with my 7 year old son a lot. It isn't too violent and there isn't a lot of blood. It's set in the Renaissance era, so there is going to be some violence. It is actually educational and realistic. So it is great for kids to learn about history. There are also some real-life lessons in it. If you do something bad, there will be a negative consequence, if you do something good there will be a positive consequence.
Adult Written byTom_Gamer_Tom June 8, 2010

Quite moderate for an RPG.

Oblivion is a pretty moderate game violence wise for an RPG. The violence is low, There is barely any blood considering its made by the same people as fallout, and the fact its an RPG. Its pretty suitable for younger people. The language is about as much as a PG film. So its really a very moderate game. No blood really, but it looks like paint anyway. Overall its ok. Its not a violent game but its a great one.
Adult Written byFreedomFromCens... June 29, 2009

A modern classic, A must buy for anyone over 12!

Disregard what you parents have heard about this game's violence and nudity, blood can be TURNED OFF if you so wish (but even with blood on their hardly is anything to see). Their are some scary, zombie like monsters (but heck you see those every Halloween, so why are you so worried about them now?). Nudity is not an issue (down to underwear), you would have to modify the game's textures and meshes just to make that possible. Their is a little language and suggestive themes, but it shouldn't be an issue for most kids over 11 or so. I've played this thoroughly for about 2 years, so I know what I'm talking about. You can take alcohol, but your character isn't saying "Oh kids you should try this stuff", all you do is click on it, and its gone, that's all that happens (you parents really overreact sometimes on this stuff). Now onto the good stuff, this is a must buy for anyone into RPG games and beautiful Medieval-style gameplay. Character's interact with one another and live out their lives according to their jobs. You also don't have to follow the main quest at all, you can choose to help people with the smallest of unique quests, or just roam the world and explore it's hidden secrets and features. Over two years, it still has never lost its fun!
Adult Written bygaryjones23 April 9, 2008

Superb!

This is an excellent game for adults as well as teenagers. My child bought this game and loved it and I sneak in a few hours a week too. As another reviewer said, it does teach children to make important decisions like whether or not to drink alchohol or to do drugs. The violence is a bit iffy, but if you think your child can handle it, this will be a great game for them
Parent of a 2 and 11 year old Written byZephyrzInferno March 19, 2011

Why is this rated M?

I can't for the life of me figure out why this is rated M. The only possible down side to this game is the blood, which is not gratuitous or that you can fight humans. The deaths are not gory and are usually a result of self defense. We have a strict no M game for kids in our house, but I really think this should have been rated T. I put in 200+ hours into this game and think it's one of the best RPGs for modern gaming systems.
Parent of a 15 and 17 year old Written bysupermom101 March 8, 2009

Great for teens 14 and up

My husband is a big gamer and is always spending his money on new games and all these things I have never heard of before. One day I saw him playing a game that was beatiful and had amazing graphics. I asked him what he was playing and he said Oblivion. I watched him play it and their was miner blood and some iffy things like you can walk into a house and steal a banana or somethin. But in the game their are punishments if you steal or murder. Like people will not trust you anymore or you can even go to jail. The violince is not very bad I was surprised it was not rated T for teen. Before long my two kids were dying to play it. I let my older kid John who is now 15 play it. I didint let my younger boy play because of the violence. This game is amazingly beatiful and for the violence it is not bad except for a little blood. And the only other thing is that someone can drink ale or something and you can start feeling the affects like fatigue or it can even heal yourself.
Adult Written by1raptor March 1, 2015

NOT AN M RATED GAME

I would like to say first off that this game was only rated M due to user created mods that made it extremely graphic, violent etc. The worst this game gets is some ripped up zombie critters that have gaping holes in their flesh, but to be honest it's not as bad as it sounds. The only thing else is sometimes stupid-looking blood that gets on weapons and ground etc, etc. In terms of anything else, "hell" and damn" were the only language, wine is drinkable and has negative affects, and sex is just silly. Without mods, there isn't any. This game is easily the best of the elder scrolls, even better than the follow-up, skyrim, and while many may insist skyrim is superior in every way, when really it's only technically "better" is in graphics, and even then it's not as pretty. JUST BUY THIS GAME NOW.YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.
Parent Written bydannytay334 December 7, 2013

MY FAV GAME

Im only 9 and I am getting the game this christmas and I have watched so many youtube videos to know if it is appropriate,things do bleed occasionaly but it is the mildest thing in the game and you just see blood on the walls or floor (this is only pc) if you are good you defeat merhunes dragon if your bad you join the gray foxs club (the thieves guild) where there is 3 rules 1.do not steal from the poor 2.do not kill 3.do not betray and people reference s*x only saying i could kiss you or hey b*by OVERALL GREAT GAME FOR TEENS AND YOUNG PRETEENS
Parent of a 7 year old Written byReviewFriend September 27, 2013

Amazing Educational Experience

This game. THIS GAME! Amazing for anybody playing it. The game does have an 'Mature' rating from the ESRB, but it was originally 'Teen', the only reason the ESRB changed the rating was because of third party mods being accessible that rendered female characters topless. It being third party, it would be only accessible to the PC version of the game, and even on the PC, your child probably wouldn't even figure out how to install a mod. The so called 'blood and gore' descripted in the rating is just silly, because, there is little to no blood in the game. And the game being made in 2006 the little blood that IS in the game looks unrealistic. I hope this review helped you in your decision of buying this game for your child.
Parent of a 7 and 12 year old Written byStephen the great December 26, 2012

LEARNING

Ok for an 11 year old!

This game is ok for an 11 year old. It has a bit of violence and a couple b****** but all of that is very mild. You have the choice to drink but it is encouraged not to. This a really great game!!