All teen and kid member reviews for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Teen, 13 years old Written byJacobTheGreat2 November 11, 2011

Future Game of the Year

One of the best games you can find around. Where you can cast exploding fireball spells, to creating your very one sword for profit. Now for the appropriateness. Now the game came out today (11/11/11) so don't expect 100% accuracy. ESRB was reasonable about the gore rating. People get sentance to death via beheading. On of the one handed perks even gives a %30 percent chance of decafatation. I haven't notice much sex talk, yet. And you can consume alcohol, such as wine. One thing is for certain, they made their own illegal drug called "Skooma" which CS somehow failed to mention in Skyrim and Oblivion. You can even find Skooma dealers on the roads and buy the stuff from them. Or you can walk away. I one time found a skooma dealer that talked about how good skooma was. I said "This doesn't sound legal." Then she tried to kill me so she fell victim to my mighty axe! It does have slow motion animation killings sometimes. For example one time when I was facing a wolf, I picked it up and slammed my axe on it. The dragons and giants can be brutal though. There is video of a dragon biting an archer, swinging him around, then chucked him across the field. The giants just stomp on you and slam their clubs. But they are pretty terrifying. Not ghost story terrifying, they can like kill you in one shot of their club so yea, they're pretty powerful. The funny part about them is that there is a very common glitch where when a giant kills you, you go flying a mile into the sky. You also get to choose whether you fight te defend the people, or be a serial killer. Though if you choose evil, you get a bounty on you meaning that the guards will want to see in prison. Also, if your bounty is high enough, they wont even give you the opportunity to surrender, they'll just attack you on sight. In other words, this game is amazing! EDIT: If you choose evil, there are ways to avoid bounties. You only get a bounty if you are caught by someone else committing crimes. You can monitor wether or not you are being watched when in sneak mode because it has a little eye thing that tells you if you are hidden, at risk of detection, or detected. I even took advantage of that and robbed a meat stand in brood daylight when a guard was just a couple yards away and avoid a bounty by only robbing when I was hidden. I have found some sex talk. It was woman upset over her husband thinking he was sleeping with some other woman. There is racism. The Stormcloakcs, (rebels who want independence from the empire,) only want Nords in Skyrim, and the citizens in Windhelm hate anyone who is not a Nord, primarily Dark Elves and Argonians (lizard people.) There is torture. I got a quest to spy on the Thalmor, (A group of elves that for some reason hate the worship of a god known as Talos,) they were hitting a man with a mace to get information. Just be happy I busted that guy out. Their are guilds you can join. The Companions, legendary mercenaries, College of Winterhold, good guys that teach magic, but are disrespected, Thieves Guild, a group of thieves, and Dark Brotherhood, hired assassins. There is also a political conflict with wether or not Skyrim should go independent. Stormcloaks, rebels who want independence, they are angry at the empire for banning the worship of Talos, and believe that the Nordic way of life is in danger, but are racist and only want Nords in Skyrim. The Imperial Army wants Skyrim to still be part of the empire, they'll let anyone be in Skyrim and want to uphold the peoples safety, but conflicts with the Nordic way of life and were forced to ban the worship of Talos, thanks to the Thalmor. You get to choose witch side you want to take. There is even achievements for completing their quest lines. Hopefully this edit helps you to decide even more.
Teen, 17 years old Written byGamerandadult November 12, 2011

The TRUTH

There havent been many good reviews on this but im going to tell the truth. The game itself... Educational value - 3/5! Like most RPG games this inspires children to save their money, learn how to sell in the market and auction.You choose how you play. You must decide what the best path to take is and there is a lot of research to be done on your class your race and your talent tree. Much like well known RPG based games like 'World of Warcaft'. Positive messages - 2/5! None apart from what I have just said! Postive role models - 1/5! This game doesnt have many but it has a few noble knights who would offer their life to defend their town. Apart from that there aren't many. Ease of play - 3/5! The controls are straight forward but if you want to seriously get into the game you will need to do some research online. Now time for the decider if you want your child to play this... Violence - When you hit enemies sometimes blood spurts out. There is no torture at all. People talk of executions, there is 1 but all you see is a person being captured and told he will be executed. He does not beg, scream, shout or cry when he hears this. Nothing much with the violence. Sex/Sexual references - Nothing much. There are festivals and feasts where half naked women dance but kids below the age of 9 see this on TV. Language - None. Drinking, drugs, smoking - There are Skyrim drugs called Skooma which you see around the place. There is drinking but kids will see this all the time. Over all - If you have a child who is mature and over the age of 10 then this is fine! It is a brilliant game too.
Kid, 12 years old November 21, 2011

Not for people squeamish of inspired by violence.

My parents let me buy this game because it wasn't about going around mutilating peoples limbs and splattering their brains out. The acronym RPG stands for role-playing game. In these types of games the creators focus on character customizability and gameplay. Not giving the player as much ammunition as possible ant telling them to blast everybody's heads off. Skyrim provides the player with moral choices, open sandbox environment, and easy to learn controls. An example of the moral choices is you could kill everyone in a village and watch them suffer, OR you could help the villagers get rid of their problems. I think the sexual themes thing is a joke, yes you can get married and there is some dialect in the game that may be suggestive. But really it's not that big of a deal. If your child is inspired by violence or very very VERY squeamish than this is not for them.
Teen, 13 years old Written byZespider November 14, 2011

Only violence.

Skyrim is a game where choice is everything. There is a lot of violence, such as beheadings. The sexual content is extremely low, just a few innuendos, a bit of cleavage. The language is not anything to worry about, no swearing. The only thing you need to worry about is violence.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykyleyo9 May 6, 2014

One of a kind game

After seeing that common sense media wouldn't recommend this game for kids is kind of sad. There is really nothing that will change a kid's life in this game. The most blood you see is just a few drops getting shot out of a guy and it doesn't look much worse than getting a cut. Besides, the physics in this game aren't that realistic so if you hit a guy in the head with a mace, his head won't fall off or anything. With the alcohol, all it is is you just hear people talking about it and you never see anybody use it. Similar to real life, if there is a character in the game who drinks a lot (even though you never see them drink), they get a bad reputation in the village. With the sex in the game, after the months I've been playing the game, I haven't seen a single thing. ESRB and CS obviously had no idea what they were doing when they made this an M game. This is worth a T at max.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTheCertifiedTruth March 27, 2013

The Truth

Ok lets cut the crap the other reviews are saying 1 the most sexual content is getting married there is no kissing or anything you only say "are you interested in me?" if she says yes thats it no kissing or sex.2 when you drink beer all you do is go in your inventory and click drink thats it you dont even see him drink it!3 The only bad thing is violence and there is no guts or gore just a little blood from slashing with a sword.4 you should let kids play it i am suprised how strict common sense media is "not for kids" why cause of blood?5 you actually teach your kids to save money! Overall i think its suitible for a 12 year old about half way to 13.
Teen, 14 years old Written bypandacommanda November 21, 2011

not for kids thirteen and under

The game is very gory, first of all. You can do some pretty messed up things like killing a bride at her wedding, killing some people you promised to not kill. Most of this is through the dark brotherhood, though. The game does present quite a bit of moral choice. I was a good person, but as I got further into the dark brotherhood questline, I did some pretty messed up things. I could have easily avoided it, but the compelling story makes it hard to. So why a complete no for under thirteens? I have heard younger kids talk about how they killed an entire town, while my friends and I exercise some restraint.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAbe1998 December 23, 2011
LEARNING

Very fun, but has religious themes and sorcery.

It was an extremely fun game, but it had Pagan and possibly other religious themes. They talked a lot about gods and stuff. You can use magic, dual wield weapons, and customize your character. The game gets deeper into sorcery and magic as you progress through the game (it might depend on where you go.) Some of this includes wizards, skeletons and zombies, and potions that increase your magic abilities. Fun game, but be aware there is magic and it the player can get very deep into it. As a Christian, I am personally against this so I don't play it any more.
Kid, 9 years old December 19, 2011

It Do Not Get Much Better Then This

This game is amazing. Game of the year great. It's perfect for kids if there parents allow there kids to play Batman: Arkham City. The beginning decapitation is all you need to worry about because the game is full of choices. You do not need to kill. Yes the ESRB is correct. Blood and gore. Stay in the citys like river wood. There is basically no sex relation. You can get married by sharing rings. No kissing. It's always nice to have a mature teen. Paying 60 bucks for one city is not letting it live up to its full potential. Best game ever. Hope this review helped.
Teen, 17 years old Written byilovegames November 21, 2011

What you need to know about Skyrim

Bethesda really kicked some a** with this new game. from graphics to gameplay its an all a round good game. if your worried with the content its not that bad if you have a parent that doesn't really care about violence or that much language. There is some drinking here and their but its not too bad. When your in battle its like a regular sword fighting game with some blood and of course a finishing move that gives it an extra punch. But all in all this game is really amazing experience from traveling around all of Skyrim to assassinating opposing establishments if you happen to be in the "Dark Brotherhood". Yet it might have a few things here and their it seems to be an appropriate game.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymewtwo May 3, 2014

Great Game!!

Skyrim is one of, if not THE best game I've ever played. My parents were wary of buying it because of it's M rating, but they eventually agreed to purchase it for my 13th birthday. It's an action-packed game with hundreds of quests to complete. There's always something to do in Skyrim. Yes, there is violence in the game, but all of the great things about it kind of cancel it out. Overall I'd completely recommend this to anyone who's a fan of a good fantasy or combat game.
Kid, 11 years old November 12, 2011

amazing game

best video game ever
Teen, 13 years old Written byJack lambert June 13, 2014

great game i don,t know why people say there is sex in it because theirs not

WARNING YOU CAN BEHEAD PEOPLE IN THIS GAME and some blood and gore but its not that bad there was a few times where i got a jump scare when a wolf jumped up and me from behide but theirs nothing a teen can,t handle in this game
Teen, 14 years old Written byConwolf November 16, 2011

Amazing Game...But Should be Careful about who plays it

I really love this game. I started off playing with Oblivion, then got Skyrim the day it came out. It's graphics are very detailed, the characters look real at points. I do admit that there is a lot of blood and fighting, almost all quests include some form of battle. Now, your character could end up being a good role model or a mass murderer. I normally have one loyal to the law and one that I can do anything with. There are drinks that you can pick up and drink from, though some of them have advantages, they are canceled out by some kind of problem. Language is used at different times.
Kid, 11 years old February 23, 2014

Very iffy, depends on maturity of the child...

Well, I'm 12 and I absolutely love this game. Both of my parents approved, because they know that I know that it's all fake. So, in my opinion, it's okay for 13 and up. There are a few disturbing parts ( decapitation, torture tools, LOTS OF BLOOD ) but it's kind of cheesy to me. As long as you know that it's not real, it's really just fine. The graphics are beautiful, and you can have a lot of fun crafting armor and designing a home.
Teen, 14 years old Written bynate0590 October 6, 2013

a review by a 14 year old

Violence: There is intense violent content in this game mostly because the point of the game is to kill giant spiders and dragons and things like that. There also is blood and gore on your sword and on the monster you kill. Sometimes you come across an execution, or other violent things. Sex: There is very mild sex in this game so don't worry about it. If you listen to the villagers talking they may be talking about how someone got raped or other sexual things. But this rarely occurs, and also most people don't stand there listening to villagers talk in the first place. Language: The characters say mild cuss words. Drinking: You do see some people drink wine and beer and stuff, but they don't get drunk and all (not that I have seen anyway.) conclusion: Really violent but good!
Teen, 14 years old Written bymixe December 25, 2011

skyrim main issues.

this is aninsanely huge game in which the player will immerse themselves. the rating really should depend on what part of the game the player is in. certain types of play are worse than others. the player has complete control over everything in the game. the goriest part of the game that I have found is decapitating people which will only happen if you unlock it as a perk in the perk tree. and playing as a werewolf. when you are a werewolf you will often pounce on people and rip them apart. you do not actually see the person being tore apart it just shows lot of blood coming from the person. also in this game there is cannibalism. which you can only get if you do the quest to unlock it. werewolves can also feed on the people they kill. another matter in this game is that there are several different gods demons and spirits that you can choose to help or kill. there are several priests that will preach about there god or whoever they worship. the last issue is language you will hear many different swear word when talking to people. if you have a younger child that is wanting this game i highly recommend that you monitor what they are doing in the game and restrict them from doing things you find inappropriate. sadly there is no way to do this in the game itself. the only way is to monitor them as they play. if you are playing on a computer i have heard of a mod that you can download that will reduce the graphics and make the game look more cartoon and hopefully more kid friendly. a mod is something that gamers will make it is a modification that you can add onto the game but it is rather complicated. however most modding sites give step by step instructions to downloading the mod. if you are playing on a ps3 or X box it is possible to get mods but it is extremely difficult and i have no idea how. if you want to install the mod try searching Google for "skyrim mod reduce graphics TF2 mode". i hope this helps
Teen, 17 years old Written byBlah blah12341234 September 29, 2013

Amazing..... But not for children.

This is not for 10 and under! This is a violent pretty gory game, It's probably fine for maybe 12 and up. But not for children!
Kid, 12 years old September 25, 2013

12 and up Great RPG

Skyrim is a great rpg for 12 and up! has some gore that splatters on the ground and on the weapon you are using but other then that, have fun!
Teen, 14 years old Written bychrome352 November 22, 2011

seriously

really this game is okay for a thirteen year old whislt a bit bloody the game has a good story and lots of quests