Parent reviews for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Vast adventure with some combat rewards logical thinking.

Parent Written byDave H. February 4, 2018

One of the best video games of all time.

We got the switch for Christmas and my mother got my son Zelda, Breath of the Wild. This is a game we play together and offers me great teaching opportunities. For the more difficult parts I’ll play(bosses mostly) The puzzles are amazing and allow me to teach my son cooperative problem solving. The graphics and music are absolutely beautiful. The world is huge, completely open ended and you aren’t required to play the game in any particular order. There is mild violence but no blood and gore. To be honest my 6 year old sees more graphic violence watching and playing football than playing this game. Just be forwarned it is quite difficult in some parts and if you aren’t planning to help your child play it it’s probably not appropriate for kids 8 and under.

Parent Written byRobyn P. July 20, 2018

The game play is for older kids, but my son played it with his dad and loved it

I actually really enjoyed watching my husband and 8 year old play this together. It's so beautiful and interesting. The side quests are fun and the game play lasts a LOOOOONG time. They will be working on it for a long time, making it worth the money. It really is a fantastic game. I think if my 8 year old played it by himself, it would have been to hard for him though. Good for a family of gamers.

Parent of a 10-year-old Written byville.and April 21, 2019

Nothing in it.

Great messages and role models, easy to learn, only mild violence , no blood or gore at all.
Adult Written byRosyRaichu July 5, 2018

Not for little kids, but 10 and over is definitely fine.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a high fantasy adventure game where the hero Link explores and survives the wilderness of the lost kingdom of Hyrule.

True to their family-oriented style, this Nintendo game does not indulge in violence, gore, sex, profanity or drug use.

BotW features fantasy violence, with weapons like swords being used against fictional monsters. No blood or damage is ever shown. Deaths are quick, with monsters turning to black and disappearing in a puff of smoke. The bosses "bleed" a substance known as Malice, which is more of a physical manifestation of hatred and it is made clear that they are not living creatures like the rest of us.

Some characters make a flirtatious "hmm" or giggle to Link, but nothing you wouldn't find in a PG film.

Very minor alcohol use is suggested in one location. While never directly called alcohol, Link is told he is "too young" for the drink and can never obtain it.

No profanity.

Some scenes may be scary to very young children, which is why this game is given a 12 (or equivalent) rating all around the world.
Parent Written bynuenjins January 15, 2018

Easy to pick up and fun, but with minor glaring "problems" later on. Unnecessary suggestive 'content'.

The excitement of having an "open world" Zelda game is enough to make someone dive right in and spend hours getting the main character,Link, equipped and battle ready after waking from his slumber. Some flaws do hinder the experience, but overall the camera, the enemy target locking system and the slow motion dodge mechanics all work very well and minimize frustration with minimal "unfair " deaths. This allows the player to earn his victories fairly and smoothly with a very cooperative and even battle system. Although the Nintendo Switch as a console is quite underpowered compared to it's peers, the cartooish graphics of Zelda still look great and the attention to detail in all these other areas more than compensate for the gritty detail of many games of it's kind to the point that you don't even notice or care, especially after you get into the adventure early on. The only glaring flaw between the Switch and Wii U version is the occassional "hiccup" in battles on the Switch version which can cause a frame rate drop in certain areas. Once you experince this, however, you know where these rare spots are and can avoid repeat occasions.

After you experiment and pull off the more intimidating moves you realize that they are actually less diffuicult than they 'look' on the screen, making a very satisfying payoff when you pull off these 'tricks' and are able to chain moves together. Very often you run into powerful enemies that can 'bake your cookies' very quickly, but you always have the option of approaching from multiple directions with different approaches in your arsenal. You can tackle these encounter in several different ways making each encounter as unique as you like. With many powers at your disposal later on you discover that experimentation and toying with these abilities are perhaps even more fun than the encounters themselves.

The few drawbacks I took into consideration were these: Weapons break, ALOT, which is odd that a "realistic" mechanic like this was implemented in a game of this nature because you can still carry a truckload of weapons for no reason at all, but they all break like they were made at a toy factory and are far too brittle. this causes you to use different weapons and juggle inventory, but when a weapon breaks mid battle, which is all the time, you are left scrambling to scrounge another weapon from inventory. Although you can pause mid battle to do this, it is especially annoying in major fights and really takes away from the continuity and flow of battle.

The enemies can get repetitive. There are basically 2 organic races and 'sentinel' robots you will be battling with some exceptions and winged nuisances, but you will be essentially dispatching these same enemies throughout. The bosses break this up and are interesting encounters with a memorable battle sequence and puzzle to solve but the tedium of these familiar battles sets in after awhile.You will spend most of your time traversing a very large space of land to find 'shrines' in order to solve a dungeon puzzle or challenge with mini sentinals. There is variety here, but noticeably not enough for a sandbox game of this size.

Cooking....you will be doing hours of this if you want to survive the harshest battles. You can experiment with this as well and it is a unique feature that is very interesting at first. You can't save recipes though so once you find something effective you need a pen and paper to keep your found recipe for later. This however , can also require large chunks of time and become borish after your experimentation early on.

You can tame and ride horses, stable multiple steeds, use a glider for traversing high to low areas of any height. Between the shrines you can climb towers which open your maps and give you even more challenges and exploration. There are even hidden challenges along the way and side quests. The only real downside is these are all acheived with these same drawbacks mentioned before, which may be a deal breaker for some, especially after getting deep into the game.

On a final Added note to parents, there are fountain fairies that are oversexulized in the game which may cause some concern. There is no nudity, but these giant women are 'well endowed' in a very obvious and purposeful way. The dialogue is not overt but hints at flirtation at times, and along with some awkward 'swooning' noises, may be inappropriate for younger players. In an otherwise family conscious action title, it's awkward and out of place in an otherwise tame themed game.

Adult Written byCarmen A May 14, 2020

Amazing game, not inappropriate at all but has a ton a tricky puzzles

This game is very fun and all ages should play it, and don't tell any kid over 6 no to this game, unless you don't like the price. But the game will be very challenging because of all the puzzles, I really needed to help my kids with this one. But if your kids have ever played uncharted they will be fine. The uncharted games were way more inappropriate and just a little harder. So if you leta young kid get this game, help them out.

Adult Written byTellebird August 18, 2018

The Best Game Nintendo Has To Offer

A little difficult for younger kids. Overall a great game. Nintendo really outdid themselves with this game. I highly recommend it to everyone!

Adult Written byJohn Jones October 4, 2020

PLEASE STOP AND READ MY REVIEW

This game is amazing! The art style is beautiful, and the endless possibilities are a nice touch. In this adventure, Link goes on a quest to save Hyrule from an awaking evil. On the way, you'll encounter enemies that Link can battle, puzzles to solve, and over 100+ side quests.

There is NO blood or gore, instead, the enemies disappear into a puff of smoke. All the characters (specifically women) are dressed modestly. There is no profanity or sex either. There is a reference to alcohol though, as there is a lady who runs a shop in the game who sells drinks that "are definitely just for adults". Thankfully Link can never obtain these drinks for himself. In addition, there is a character within the game that says "heck".

Overall I'd say this game is great for kids 9+ and will provide endless amounts of fun for kids looking for an ever expanding and amazing adventure.

Adult Written byHattanTawili July 20, 2018

One of the Best Video Game for adult and kid

Adult Written byJason B. September 6, 2017

The Best of what Nintendo has to offer!

First off, if there are any families out there concerned with fantasy elements within media, I suggest you go and read J.R.R. Tolkien's essay on fairy tales.

Great Messages/Role Models - Link is a self sacrificing hero through and through. In the story he has already given his life in a way for the safety of his people. The game starts with Link waking up in something called The Shrine of Resurrection (Note that link did not actually die, but was severely wounded and needed to recover in this sort of stasis healing pod). Link wakes up 100 years after Gannon (the main bad guy) attacked the kingdom. Link failed to stop him and was gravely wounded. Zelda then managed to "seal" Gannon in the castle. While Link was recuperating, Zelda has been fighting Gannon in the castle for 100 years (presumable kept young by some magic used).
There is violence in this game. Link faces off agains monsters of all sorts. The message here is best stated by G.K. Chesterton: "Fairytales don’t tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairytales tell children that dragons can be killed." Younger children might need to be guided by a parent to this meaning, but older children may find a role model in the character of Link. He stands up for what is right and seeks to destroy evil in his world even though the odds are against him.

Easy to Play/use: This is the hardest Zelda game to date. Definitely not for younger kids. That being said 10 year olds should find this game challenging but doable. Learning enemy patterns and combat is difficult at first, but will eventually be mastered. There are 120 "shrines" that present easy-difficult puzzles using the games incredible physics and environment engine. There are multiple ways to solve puzzles throughout the game which promotes creativity in all areas of play.

Consumerism - In this game you do collect a lot of items, but the majority of them are earned or found rather than simply purchased. An underlying theme of the game is exploration. The map is vast and any player will want to explore every single mountain top and valley just to see what's there. The currency of the game does play a big role in acquiring some items, but it is not the focal point of the game.

Drinking/drugs/smoking - There is one area where there is a bar and they tell you that you can't have any of their drinks because you are under age. In the bar there is one character who is passed out. This is a side quest that does not need to be completed and would most likely go over the heads of most children.

Swearing - No foul language at all

Sex - There are a few things to mention here. Firstly, in the game there are 4 great fairy fountains that player can locate. The fairies huge and dressed extravagantly with tons of make up and glitter. Like a form fitting sparkly bathing suit. They have large breasts but the game doesn't focus on them. They make comments on how Link is handsome and when they upgrade his gear (that is their function) they blow kisses, hug, kiss Link in a way that is to be seen as comical. They are not a huge part of the game, and you can literally play for hours and hours without encountering one.
Secondly, in the South Western part of the map, there is a race called the Gerudo. They are a race of tall, muscular women. (Think Amazon type). Tall (almost twice as tall as Link), dark skin (some are lighter). There are older, younger, and children Gerudu, and there are different body types as well (some are huskier and more heavy set, I give some props for Nintendo for including this). However, the majority of them are tall, slim and muscular. They wear baggy pants with an exposed belly and bra top. One of them is a Champion that Link knew in the past and is in a few cut scenes (but not in a sexual way, aside from here costume). A small detail that most won't notice is that all the Gerudo wear slightly elevated heels. A detail I wish wasn't in the game as heels are sometimes seen as "sexy." There is no love interest with any of these characters, but Link does need to disguise himself as a girl to gain access to their town because they don't allow men in. Again, this cross dressing is meant to be comical and makes no attempt to push agendas that are outside of gaming. The Gerudo are warriors and definitely do not take the whole "damsel in distress" role. Two of the champions that Link fights beside are female, so there are strong female characters present (more on that in a moment). Aside from the Gerudo and the Great Fairies all other female characters are dressed modestly.

A Damsel in Distress - One of the critiques of this game is that it promotes that men must always save women and that women need to be rescued. The main story of all the Zelda games is in fact that Link needs to save Zelda from Gannon. But more modern Zelda games put a different twist on it (In Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, Zelda actually disguises herself as a ninja type character to fight alongside and aid Link). In Breath of the Wild, Zelda is indeed in need of rescuing, but only because Link failed to protect her the first time they encountered Gannon, and she has been fighting Gannon on her own for the past 100 years while you recovered in the stasis healing pod. Part of the story is that Zelda has struggled to find the her purpose and power necessary to overcome the evil in the world. Only after Link fails to protect her, does the power become realized within her, and she uses that power to save Link from death at the hands of a monster. At first glance you could see only "man saving woman" but a closer look at the story shows that there is more going on. Two of the champions are female and were chosen to be champions because of their capability and skill in planning and battle.

Themes in Zelda: In most Zelda games the relic called the Triforce plays a major role. In Breath of the Wild, it is curiously absent save for veiled references. The Triforce is represented by three golden triangles each representing the virtues of Power, Wisdom, and Courage. These virtues were created by the Goddess Hylia (the supreme God of the Zelda universe) and represented by three lesser spirits or dragons depending on the game. In each game Link always possess the Triforce of courage, Zelda has the Triforce of wisdom, and Gannon (the bad guy), the Triforce of power. Gannon seeks control of all three so he can conquer the world. How he originally got the triforce of power remains unknown, but it can be used to teach children that power itself isn't evil, but if you have wisdom and courage alongside it, power can be a power for the forces of good in the world.
In Breath of the Wild, Gannon is depicted as a monster (in earlier games he was a Gerudo man but that's another discussion). The game states that in his lust for power he lost all resemblance to humanity and became an embodiment of Evil. There is no pity for this character in Breath of the Wild, only a driving need to defeat evil and rebuild the world it destroyed.

I hope this article helps you decide if this game is worth letting your kids play. This game is truly a masterpiece!

Adult Written bythewanderingblancos January 14, 2021

Breath of the Wild review

Breath of the Wild
I love Breath of the Wild, it is amazing! It is a very open world game which makes it amazing, you can do literally WHATEVER YOU WANT TO DO!!!! I love fighting all of the monsters, but my favorite is the lynel and guardians. A lynel is basically a centaur with a lion mane and horns.

A guardian is a robot that shoots lasers at you!!!
One of the most important items in the game are weapons. You need weapons to attack monsters. My favorite weapon is the Ancient Bladesaw.

Bows are also a helpful weapon. My favorite bows are the Savage Lynel bow and the Ancient bow.

Armor gives you defense and sometimes a power for example Zora armor lets you swim up waterfalls when you wear it. My favorite armor set is Ancient armor.

Another thing that is great about this game is horses. You can ride them only if you can catch one!!! I have a giant horse named Pumpkin (it is black with tiger orange mane) when you ride a horse you can twirl a spear you are holding.

Dishes are great for recovering hearts and stamina instantly, and certain dishes can give you buffs ( A buff is a positive effect.) such as cold resistance. A great dish is made with 5 hearty durians and that gives you full heart recovery and 20 extra hearts!

I love this game so much I fell for an April Fools Day prank on YouTube. I found all 3 dragons in the world and got a shard of each of their teeth and a giant ancient core to make an ancient key so I could “ride in a Guardian” and I found out that it was not real. >:(

Overall this game is amazing. I highly suggest Breath of the Wild!!! ;)

Adult Written byKaren Johnson 11 November 16, 2020

Perfect for kids!

As a mother with an 8-year-old son, I appreciate the lack of violence in the game. The great fairies mentioned are not sexualized at all, they are simply fairies who upgrade links armor. There is no romance or sexuality which I think is good, as I bought this game for my 8 yr old. I supervise him while playing, and the foraging aspect of the game made him ask me to go to the park so he could "build a fort" and "make a master sword." there is no cursing in the game, and I've found that it had a positive effect on my child. I definitely recommend it.

Adult Written bysadistic gamer November 11, 2020

your kidding right?

this is ok for all ages. maybe a scary monster.
Adult Written byharold cooper August 12, 2020

best zelda game

violence with no blood, in addition to some very minor sexual references. also some good puzzles.
violence 4/10
sex 1/10
language 0/10
educational value 6/10

also, cam phrases things in a way that makes it sound as if everyone matures at the same rate, which is wrong. don’t listen to that, as that is just a (sometimes inaccurate) estimation
Parent Written byStevenmhyde April 16, 2019

Adventurous

Whoever rated this an 18 is so so wrong, this game is not intend to use sexual content and whats wrong with defeating bad guys, it really lets you adventure with NO blood WHAT SO EVER.
Adult Written byHappyboi September 9, 2020

The Best Game Ever

I am a HUGE fan of the Legend Of Zelda series but BOtW has to be my favorite it is such a great game and it is even better than my personal favorite Majoras Mask. First the violence isnt that bad, most enemys will when you kill them they blow up in a cloud of smoke also if you think that some enimies ooze blood they actually are oozing a substance called mailce also those of you that say the faries are over sexualised is because they are supposed to be sexy and have big tits also there is great role models and its easy to play and for those of you that think tits is a bad word who cares

Adult Written byWeLpImSkReWeD November 17, 2020

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD REVIEW By Anders Lee Oct 13, 20

It was a boring, rainy Saturday night, I was on youtube scrolling through gaming videos. Then I saw a video called, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Review, I thought to myself why not? After, I got the game and started playing it. Immediately, my mood soared, I was addicted and I am still playing it. To play The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild would be a fun way to spend a boring, rainy Saturday night. BOTW is a remarkable game, but the main component is the amazing graphics! The graphics are detailed and colorful, but with the special cel shading*, it becomes very unique. The music and sound in BOTW are astoundingly calm and beautiful. It not only makes you feel like you are actually in the game, but it also helps you notice certain things, like when they are losing health or when an enemy is near. Not only does BOTW have amazing graphics, and a game-enhancing soundtrack, but it also has a huge variety of resources to use. This will enhance your gameplay, making it much more fun! It has tons of weapons, shields, bows, clothes, and other miscellaneous items.
*(Cel shading/ toon shading is a type of non-photorealistic rendering designed to make 3-D computer graphics appear to be flat)

Adult Written byOrko August 24, 2020

Parent Written byEsther P. August 9, 2020

Good game, bad Zelda game (reviewed by an 11 year old)

I'll start off by saying that Breath of the Wild is a good game, but it's not the best Zelda game. The reason I give three stars is because of the incredible graphics, controls, and its open world; the storyline isn't the best. Compared to former titles in the Legend of Zelda series, the story is a bit blunt and the lack of dungeons (never mind hard dungeons) makes it boring after a while. At first I was thrilled to enter the beautiful world of Hyrule, but after I got classic games like Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, it lost some of its appeal. Items like the Hookshot and Power Bracelets were gone, along with enemy weak points and mandatory dungeons. I mean, as fun as it is using the Paraglider, it distracts the player from land battles. They could have at least added commonly encountered flying enemies besides the extremely weak Keese. Only four dungeons appear, whereas Ocarina of Time has eleven and A Link to the Past has fifteen. You'd think that if they made only four dungeons, they'd at least make them long enough to ponder over. Classic layouts are gone in the game as well. In any of the former titles, Link would have to adventure through a maze of puzzles and enemies, eventually making his way to the miniboss. Defeating it would yield an item like the bow or hookshot which he would then use to defeat the boss or solve puzzles in Hyrule. In Breath of the Wild, there are hardly any enemies in the Divine Beasts that act as dungeons. Another annoying feature is the weapon durability. A giant two handed Royal Claymore shouldn't just break after using it to smash a few barrels. Speaking of weapons, the Master Sword takes thirteen hearts to pull out of its pedestal. THIRTEEN HEARTS. That's forty shrines. Oh, and the Hylian Shield breaks. I wouldn't recommend this game if you're a Zelda fan or are planning to play other games in the series. I'd start with Ocarina of Time (a classic), Skyward Sword (the first game in the in-game timeline), or Twilight Princess (one of the best engaging stories). If you don't plan to play other games in the series, then go ahead and play to your heart's content.

Adult Written byDangerdad July 1, 2020

Stunning masterpiece

This was my son's first game (he's 9). I'm saying 10 because it gets quite challenging - he needed to look up some things to complete some of the shrines and other tasks - but otherwise I would say it is suitable for a 9 year old to play. It will be hard to go to other games now because this game is so darn beautiful in its graphics - it almost feels like you are in a Studio Ghibli movie at times! As an adult I love the calm in between the fighting, and the sense of wonder when you gaze over the various landscapes. Fighting Lynels is really difficult, at least of this newbie! Highly recommended.