Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Retro graphics & some violence, but still a great adventure.

Adult Written byZachary M. May 8, 2018

I love this game, but it can be disturbing. The mask transformations are honestly creepy for younger kids, and there are sexual references and jokes. There also a few situations where kids are given alcohol. Also, the game just has a dark theme. Overall, it is my favorite Zelda game, but I do not recommend it for children.

Adult Written byFelicity1169 August 21, 2012

My favorite video game!

I still remember waking up Chirstmas morning when I was 7 and getting an N64 and this game. Ever since it has been my favorite game. Back then I didn't understand a lot of the themes or messages but as I got older I realized them more. I won't do into detail but it's actually a very deep game and there are tons of articles that talk about it. This game can be a bit scary for small children because of the monsters, and the face on the moon, even now there are some unsettling moments (the mask salesman for example). I would play with them if they're young. There is also some fantasy violence but no gore and they do make references to alcohol but never actual mention or show it. Overall it's worth picking up and I hope they remake it for the 3ds.

Adult Written byYu Sensei April 28, 2017

Don't even listen to www.toonlinkfan

ww.toonlinkfan is very foolish about most Zelda games. He thinks most of them are only for adults. It's true that this Zelda is darker, but dark tone doesn't automatically mean it's only for adults. this game is fine for children 8 and up and there are almost always positive messages. Violence is mild and only mild blue and green blood is the only blood they can find.

Adult Written byzeldagirl May 11, 2015

Not for the light-hearted!!!

Majora`s Mask is a excellent game to play & is very intense and gets your mind going but theres a few creepy things throughout the game that could leave you in nightmares 1. Happy Mask Salesman Yes, hes happy but theres something to him that could scare you, sometimes he gets quite evil, possibly laughs and picks you up and stares at you in your face so theres a couple jumpscares with him. 2. Build-Ups If you`ve read the BEN Drowned creepypasta, I would tell you not to play it because sometimes theres pauses and things come to rest and you think hes going to pop up or appear somewhere, promise me, he won`t. 3. The Moon The Moon has a TERRYIFYING face and is crashing right into the land of Termina ready to burn everybody so thats pretty scary for tweens & young children and possibly adults. 4. Skull Kid He is a possesed imp who you met in the Lost Woods at the start. He turns you into a Deku but strong, possesive power which is creepy and without his mask, he looks like a scarecrow you`d find off Poltergeist or something so watch out. Altogether, its a spooky but fun game that you must complete in 72 hours so as I said earlier, its kinda intense but enjoyable.

Adult Written byeliram874 June 9, 2014

Too much Magic

I've played ocarina of time as well as this one but too much magic an powers don't bother there are other games out there that are much better.
Adult Written by2happy2na February 14, 2011

This is made of AWESOME JUICE!

Great, great game! There is nothing wrong about this game. I think it is safe for most ages. The only things that could be creepy or frustrating would be: -challenging game -many twisted and awkward enemies and things (such as: skull kid, majora, all bosses, few masks, moon and that weird house surrounded by mummies) -must be able to read -must have LOTS of patience -you may feel rushed at times (that's what makes its fun!) 'part from that this game is suitable for all ages...
Adult Written byAlphaZK93 December 22, 2010

Good for the older Zelda fans. Like, 12+. Mainly because it's just not as appealing to younger fans.

This game was pretty good, but not super good. Ocarina was much better. My only concern is that the game is actually pretty creepy compared to Ocarina of Time. A slightly disturbing transformation video takes place each time you put on a mask that makes Link transform into a different type of character. Also, Majora is sadistic and all that. As for the Great Fairy, the graphics are so horrible it really is not an issue. Also, most kids may find that the fact they have a limited time to beat the game will be incredibly frustrating. You have to save the world from a moon crashing into the town (which is happening because of Majora). If you let the moon crash before going back in time (which also resets everything that happened in the world except for stuff you unlocked in temples. You also lose all your item and money stock), you have to start ALL OVER. Like, your game file is completely reset (correct me if I'm wrong. That happened to me when I did that.) But yeah, Ocarina is a much better choice than this. Even at 14, when I got it, I found it frustrating. It took me on and off 2 years to beat it. Ocarina took me almost 3 whole days, and it was a lot more fun. In short, the game is fine. It's just hard and frustrating for most younger kids who would like Zelda (almost exclusively because of the time limit, which is about 3 hours).

Adult Written byFreedomFromCens... July 4, 2009

If you can get your hands on a N64, you MUST play this game.

For its generation, it's one of the best video games ever made. The quests and missions are incredibly fun, and all sorts of secrets and hidden items will keep you playing for hours. Violence is minimal, with sword-fighting, but very little blood, if any at all. All kids of parents who grew up in this generation should show their kids this amazing game.