All parent member reviews for The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii Version)

Adult Written byAlphaZK93 December 18, 2010

Quite possibly Nintendo's masterpiece. At the very least the greatest Zelda game ever.

I have not even finished the game yet and in just 3 hours of gameplay it completely overtook Ocarina of Time as the best Zelda game ever. Basically, everything that I wished I could do in Ocarina I can do in here. There is horseback sword fighting; insane boss battles with powerful graphics (for a Wii); rescue missions; rich and gripping storyline; great role models (namely Link, the studly elf dude on the cover); and.....the list goes on and on. It IS more violent and intense than previous Zelda titles. While there is actually hardly any blood (it is limited to red streaks on the horns of evil creatures, some gates, and black dots flying off of some evil creatures), there are moves that are a bit much for younger players such as being able to knock an enemy down and stab them to "finish them off". When you area wolf, you can bite a bird and thrash it to finish it (actually, every attack as a wolf deals with biting the evil creatures). Some boss battles also deal with stabbing giant eyes on the backs of slightly frightening bosses (such as an eel that is the size of 10 football fields). But yeah, basically the characters are a little more frightening and some of the fighting methods are more "graphic", but not gorey AT ALL. It may sound a bit intense, but it really is all subjective. Me and my 13 year old brother find this to be just fine for our age, but make sure it won't frighten your kids. It is definitely OFF for 0-9. Iffy for 10- some 12. And on for most 12+ There is a little bit of sexy stuff. There are great fairies in the game (they are what gave this game the one lip in the review above). I have not encountered them yet in gameplay, but the "sex" descriptor above refers to the great fairies because nothing else in the game could possibly qualify for it. If you want your child to avoid them (as I plan on doing), tell them to not go through "The Cave of Ordeals". After reading in online guidebooks, I have found that they are not required to interact with to finish the game, and you have to go out of your way to find them, so there's not much to worry about. Also, there is a milk bar owner who has a large and slightly revealing bosom, but other than that there is nothing else revealing, and she is only in the game for a few minutes. Link is a great role model, and so are some of the other characters. This is due to the fact that they risk their lives to save their friends and family to ensure their safety. Link is honest, noble, and inspires a child who is shy and picked on to become courageous (to the point of sacrificing [but surviving] himself to save one of the children who made fun of him). IN SHORT: this game rocks for the older Zelda fans who dawdled around with Ocarina of Time when we were 4 years old, or for the NES Zelda vets of the 80's. If you feel this game is too much for your kid, get them the game I've been clamoring about: Ocarina of Time. It is MUCH less intense than this game, and you can buy it on the Wii Shop channel for 1000 points ($10). Majora's Mask is also awesome, but it's darker and actually kind of creepy. Ocarina: 8+. Majora: 11+. Twilight: 12/13+
Adult Written bySir Atrus April 9, 2008

Concerned Parents: Don't Panic!!

I am writing this review in response to the concerns of a parent of one of my students. I am a private music teacher and my students and their parents know that I am deeply involved in the videogame industry as an informed consumer, and value my opinions as such. I have played through Twilight Princess twice now, and would like to make my opinion known. After reading all of the reviews that have been posted on this site (primarily by adults and by CS.org), I would like to refute the statements made about the "bar" and "sexual content" issues. The bar that is made reference to by CS on their main page is merely a travelers pub, owned by a woman who is portrayed as a busty, loudmouthed jolly person with a strong personality. Her chest is a bit revealing, but in no way more revealing than the billboards that scatter the roadways and mainstream media. As for the "bar" she runs, the bottles that are strewn about, are not glass, but opaque bottles of any type liquid. If you are making a decision to let your child play this game, I would first, and only, look towards the depicted cartoon violence as the deciding factor. A sensible teen will view these "bar-like" factors for what they are, part of the artwork. To me, most games have a large artistic component, and should be interpreted in a way that takes its artistry into consideration. I hope this was helpful and I will post again soon! -Sir Atrus
Parent Written byredrose64 January 3, 2012

Great game!

It's a fantastic adventure game. You go through level by level earning new tools to solve great puzzles. The map is amazing for people who like exploring. I think the game is quite suitable for teenagers. It has no blood or gore but it has sword fighting although i don't believe it's too harsh. Some characters have revealing outfits. One is a bar tender. Another is a fairy whose hair covers her breasts , but as a lot of mermaids in fairytales show the same outfit so i think thats fine. If you've raised your child properly i think its fine when their 13, even 12 if your child is used to fantasy violence and scary scenes. There is one scene though in the level "Snowpeak ruins" when the character meets the boss who is a yeti who has been posessed. Her eyes are red and she 'jumps' infront of the screen. This may cause nightmares for some. Other wise i recomend this game to everyone. It has great problem solving aspects and a ongoing storyline. Overall a really good adventure game
Parent of a 5, 10, and 13 year old Written byOcelot December 8, 2009

ZELDA IS THE BEST

any game with the word Zelda on it BUY IT Instant classic second only to Ocarina of Time, but my only piece of criticism is it can sometimes be a scary game.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bylsdbird September 3, 2010

superb for older kids

I love this game because it had cool graphics and becomes my game of the year 2006.
Adult Written byhatredsheep April 9, 2008

Parent Written byjoeldk January 7, 2012

Generally OK for middle elementary and up.

Normally, I think that Common Sense Media is spot on. But, my 8 year old started playing this game a few months ago (just before Skyward Sword came out). It has been a very positive experience for him, and there is nothing that I would say is inappropriate for a child of his age. We tend to be pretty prudish on what we let our kids play, so I was surprise to see it rated 12+ by CSM. The biggest problem for younger kids is that it does involve some complicated reasoning skills, a dark tone in some places, and some cartoon violence.
Adult Written byPvt. Sokolva January 5, 2011

Call me a terrible gaming heathen, but this was my first Zelda game. It got such incredible reviews by everyone, received so much attention and praise, I couldn't resist buying it. I'm glad I didn't. As usual, I hate the Wii with a fiery passion and try to forget it exists, however, its much more economical than the Playstation so I have to give it its nod for that... A good game. It starts off strong and has a good learning curve that doesn't lose you. It would be too complicated for young kids...but they may enjoy watching as an older kid or an adult plays the game through. Its pretty appropriate in every way. A bit violent, but everything is self-defense, and you are fighting creatures and twilight things, not people. It gets a bit slow sometime after the exciting beginning, and tends to drag on a bit...this is what lost it one star for me. The pace just got a bit too slow... But its a lot of fun when you slog through that. Its fun to ride your horse, turn into a wolf, navigate the beautiful world that was created for this game. Its a bit dark as well, not creepy, but it could perhaps scare sensitive kids.
Adult Written byThrawn March 3, 2010

The best Zelda game EVER!

Well if you are a avid Legend of Zelda fan then you would know that this game is one of the best L of Z ever made. Compared to the other L of Z games the bosses are super essay, but the puzzles are amazing. All throughout the game you feel like your really in Hyrule, like ridding Epona and firing your bow at the enemy. This game is a 50-70 hour game and will keep you occupied all in that time.
Adult Written byDrSpongebob December 16, 2009

Good Game For Anyone

This game is amazing. But... there is no blood, no gore,etc. I say that this game is good for any age. I say this because this is a very perspective like game. Kids who have played Zelda games before know there are mild scary sequences, but others at a young age might get a scare. I think this is a good "First T game". It is mild but yes it has some scary sequences. I would say this game is for anyone who has played the previous Zelda games or at age 9+
Adult Written byBlaxcell December 4, 2009

Feminist

I have recently studied story, characterisation, and sexism in video games, and as far as sexism goes, this game is one of the truly outstanding examples. Portraying strong, well-rounded female characters is very rare in video games, but Twilight Princess certainly acheieves this goal. In this installment, Link practically takes a backseat to the story of Midna, a cheeky imp who is after revenge on the antagonist. Midna is a woman who takes charge and
Parent of a 13 year old Written bychrrr October 10, 2009

ok for 12+

ok
Adult Written byHagPuppy 89 April 9, 2008

This game was awesome.

This game was awesome! thats all
Adult Written byheyitsmekim April 9, 2008

It's OK

As a big Zelda fan, I was really excited when TP finally came out, after several delays. Truthfully, I was kind of let down--the way you are after waiting for something amazing to happen and it's only "ok," but it's still a fun game to play. If you have played other Zelda games, you'll probably like this one too. My kids have both beat it already (I haven't had time yet), and they really liked it. From what I've seen so far, it's a typical Zelda adventure.
Adult Written byJimStilg April 9, 2008

Awesome Adventure Game

I have played all the Zelda's since I was a kid, and I don't think there's a better version in the series. It's a lengthy game but there's a ton of fun things to do, puzzles to figure out, and a decent story line that keeps you interested. The Wii controller works great as well and adds an extra element of involvement. My 5 year old son is not old enough to play it but loved watching me progress through the fantasy world. We would talk through the puzzles and it was fun trying to problem solve throughout. There is some mild violence related to swordplay, but no gore. My wife wasn't too thrilled with my son seeing some of the sword battles, so understand the maturity of your child before letting them play or view the game.
Adult Written byYes April 9, 2008

4 years of work pays off

This is a great game and it has been developing since 2002. It seems to have paid off, too. I think this game should be E10+. The blood description is another stupid lie from the ESRB, but there is some scarier violence and it looks a bit stronger than the other Zelda games.
Adult Written bymjhonold April 9, 2008

A must play video game

My husband has played it and so has my mom. both say it's a great game. The story line is excellent and If you don't have it, get it.
Adult Written byced21345rulez April 9, 2008

rulez

best wii game ever
Adult Written byBrastelei April 9, 2008

Adult Written byK Master April 9, 2008

I'm still humming the songs!

This game is the real Zelda game. Wind Waker was for younger kids, Phantom Hourglass is on a weak platform, but this ine rules. My only prob was that the games puzzles and problems were so complex thatI needed help of an online walkthrough. You should really use one to get yuo through tough spots, because I spent 3 HOURS TOTAL on opening one stinkin' door!(Now that stinks) :) This game is definetly fro older kids becaus e of the increased violence. I don't like violence or slight blood. I cringe everytime. this gam also has a lot of cool AND frightening images. My budd ywho is 13 yrs. old was scared. Enjoy gamers, cause this game rulz!