Parent reviews for The Sims 4

Complex, realistic life simulator includes sexuality, death.

Parent of a 15-year-old Written bysoph_bell June 28, 2019

Christian perspective. GREAT GAME

1. Establishes fiscal responsibility:::::This aspect is often overlooked in the formal education of modern children. Staggering statistics regarding the lack of financial knowledge between teenagers are starting to threaten kids’ economic future because they have no understanding of how to administer or handle their economic profits or losses. This is a real-life simulation in which they learn experience, since: would you rather than make a financial mistake in the sims or in real life? This prepares them for all of that and so much more. sim’s economic means arise primarily from the job they dedicate their life to, which also incorporates a realistic aspect seeing as they must take up a certain amount of time every day to leave their house and dedicate their time to their business. Every week, a bill is delivered to a residence, and if not paid within 48 hours, the electricity and water are restricted in the building until payment is made. Players must learn to manage their money if they wish to succeed in the game, including budgeting in order to buy residences at realistic prices, furnishing their home with expensive appliances, purchasing food, and, overall, the preponderance of activities cannot be completed without some fee, replicating real-life situations.

2. Minimum violence::::: for those worried about violence in the game, that should not be a concern on your mind. These days, kids are asking for games such as "Fortnite" or "GTA", which include raw violence, death, and the RAW and SOLE purpose of these video game is to kill other players. This is only one aspect of the game, and, in addition, it is cartoonified, in other words, it is not realistic like the games mentioned above. In the Sims 4, as in life, characters eventually die or may die from factors such as drowning, electrocution, hunger, fire, rocket ship crash landing, old age, overexertion, cowplant, embarrassment, anger, and hysteria. Unlike other games which show blood, decapitations, shooting, murders, knife injuries, etc. this game is one of the tamest as it puts a light-hearted spin onto most of its ways of dying.

3. Creative aspects::: the Sims 4 enhances creativity by allowing you to design houses, create your own sims, determine their lives, create unique families, etc. For those children who aspire to pursue architecture or other creative aspects, even if just a hobby or an interest, this helps them persevere this. They can design houses and expand their creativity beyond a piece of paper and something more sophisticated. Many of the parents critiquing the game don't realize this is one of the aspects that takes up a large portion of the game.

4. The game is rated for teens :::: If your child is over 13 years old, they are in the ideal demographic for the game, and should most definitely be allowed to play it. They are allowed to use this game according to the manufactures view, who are also parents. In addition, many of the things parents are worried about being “inappropriate” are extremely subdued compared to the shows that nearly every teen is hooked onto nowadays, including Jane the Virgin, Teen Wolf, Thirteen Reasons Why, Merlí, Pretty Little Liars, South Park, Gossip Girl, Riverdale, etc.

5. Trust :::: If you trust your child that they will make the right decisions, then, no matter their age, they should be allowed to play it. When you let your children wander into the world, they have all of these options, hence the real-life simulation. They can smoke, drink, have sex, do any of these things in the world, but they aren't. If you trust they won't do that in the real world, they won't do it in this one either. This game is very innocent, everything is confined to be appropriate for all children. Therefore, it should be allowed for both teens and maybe even smaller children. Everything is an opportunity in life, and, consequently, in this game. In addition, would you rather your child make the wrong decisions in the game, or the wrong decisions in real life, which will cost them their life.

Ultimately, it all comes down to you, your child, and your relationship. If they are a teenager that is mature, responsible, and someone with who you have established trust between, then they should absolutely get the game. The game is very innocent, and other parents who think otherwise are worried either because they have no trust or because their child behaves irresponsibly. Compared to what kids are doing these days and watching these days, this is nothing. A mere game.

Parent Written byjdub22 June 13, 2016

For Parents Worried About It Being Inappropriate

My son, who is 12, recently recieved this game for his birthday. I was worried from Sims 2, a game I have played before, that it would be way to inappropriate. I was highly impressed with the way it has upgraded. Yes, the sims can have "sex" but nothing is shown. While they're doing this act, you can't even see the sims at all. All you see is a blanket. They do kiss, but it's not nearly as bad as any kids television or movie kiss scenes. This game is a great experience for kids. It show them how to handle money well.

Adult Written byMike M December 23, 2014

The Sims 4 is less fun than previous installment, surprisingly contains more mature content.

The Sims 4 is admittedly less fun than The Sims 3 as it lacks a number of features from its predecessor. Therefore, in terms of playability, it takes a few steps back. For one, the beloved toddler life stage has been removed, meaning that players can no longer care for and play with infant Sims. Moreover, the Create-a-Style tool is absent, so players no longer have access to the same depth of customization that made the third game a hit. With that being said, the game still comes out with regular updates or "patches" which can be automatically downloaded. These updates add in cool new features (pools and Christmas items were added recently) that enhance the gameplay experience.

The Sims 4, like all the games in the life-simulation franchise, is very easy to pick up and play. Therefore, it is a great experience for younger gamers and more casual gamers as well. Basically, The Sims 4 is a point-and-click experience. It is an extremely engaging one, though. Now that an emotions system has been implemented, the Sims are more lively and responsive than ever before. The Sims are now able to multitask, and cause and effect relationships are stronger than they were in previous games. Because the game seeks to mimic real life, players will unavoidably come in contact with themes such as death, the supernatural, love affairs, child birth, and so on. Parents should not be worried, as the content remains light-hearted and has a comical feel to it. The graphics in the game are also more cartoony this time around, appealing to the younger ones. The Create-a-Sim tool has been expanded in The Sims 4, and now players can create Sims of various body shapes/sizes and ethnicities, which was a key feature missing in the previous installments, and its inclusion is nice to see. The female clothing options are surprisingly racier in this game, and there is an option to enhance breast and buttocks size using the new grab and pull feature. It came as quite a shock to me to see that there are several more "Romantic" interactions in this game, including a wider variety of kissing styles and suggestive interactions. It might come as a relief to some knowing that the hot tub has been removed in the game, but it will likely be included in a future expansion pack. However, woohoo (sexual intercourse) is still present. In the end, it is up to the player to decide what activities they want their Sim characters to partake in. The game intentionally does not take itself very seriously; it is a wacky experience where players can take control of life in hundreds of ways. If you believe that your younger teenager is mature enough to handle the game, then it shouldn't be a problem. Players will have a good time keeping their Sim families happy and healthy. If you already own The Sims 3, it is not worth investing in The Sims 4. Otherwise, it can make for a solid purchase. Just be aware of the fact that you are required to sign up for Origin and download the client in order to play the game. Also, there are many in-game prompts asking you to share your creations online with the rest of the world via The Sims 4's "Gallery." In this sense, safety and privacy might be somewhat of a concern in comparison to the other installments.

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written byangellikes July 12, 2020

One of the most popular games in the early 2000's; gameplay has changed.

Sims4 is a great game, I have been playing this game since I was 11. Although they took away the cars where you can go everywhere, the game is still quite good. However, I have viewed most reviews of this game and they keeping mentioning the sex in the game (Aka WooHoo)
Listen, to anyone who is looking at this review, the sex is not really a problem in the game. It's just them moving around in the covers, (I've seen under them, they're actually just laying down and the moving are the effects. Plus, there is a option IN the game to turn off also pregnancy. I don't get why the WooHoo is such a nuisance to the game. IT'S JUST A GAME. IT'S NOT REAL LIFE. Otherwise than the sex, there is only something in the game to enhance your gameplay; the 25 or 26 packs for Sims4 (I currently have Get Famous and Seasons) which why I mentioned the consumerism in the game. Who the hell would buy all those packs for the game? It's bullsh*t. Anyway, from the bad stuff on the game, Sims4 is a great educational game for the coming to adult people of how to use your money (ex, have 48 hours to pay they're bills or else they're lights will be shut down, getting money from a job to use it on other stuff) Also responsibilities, such as Pregnancy for a sim (there is a option to turn it off like I said above) After trying for baby (also known as WooHoo) your sim will use the toilet to see if they're pregnant. It depends, sometimes it will fail (unless you have the trait Fertile, where you can find in the Rewards store) and sometimes it will be successful. There is also real life themes, such as 2nd trimester and that other crap, but then if you don't feed the baby after it's born, it will get taken away (It happened to my sister once by forgetting to feed HER baby). They also added something to the game; emotions. Unlike the older games, which the people didn't know how they are feeling, there is a emotion bar on the left hand corner (will display images at the end of the review) which will display emotions such as Fine, Happy, Very Happy, Inspired, Very Inspired, Focused, Very Focused, Flirty, Very Flirty, Playful, Very Playful, Hysterical (which can kill your sim), Uncomfortable, Very Uncomfortable, Embarrassed, Very Embarrassed, Mortified (can kill your sim), Sad, Very Sad, Angry, Very Angry, Enraged (can kill sim) Bored, and other emotions. Mentioning about deaths in the game, there is 11 different types of default deaths (more deaths may come soon) such as drowning or being electrocuted. As to close this review, Sims4 is recommended for the preteens.

Adult Written byTh3SimsFactory November 16, 2018

My personal opinion

It's an amazing game! For parents reading, I strongly recommend you to go and watch some Sims 4 videos, which can help you decide. Personally I think it would be age 11+, it is a fun video game, but has some elements in it, which could possibly become in to educational things. However it does have Sex in it, but it doesn't show anything, all it is, is it's a bed with people moving around under, and hearts are coming out, when your sims are naked, so like a bath/shower, it just blurs it out in pixelated things! You can get really created with it.

Parent of a 4, 5, 6, and 7-year-old Written byNicole25 February 28, 2016

This is a learning thing

This game is a really good thing for my kids. My oldest asked and I looked in to it and then I played it for a while on my computer. I finaly desided it was good for my kids

Adult Written byKarenS89 April 15, 2020

Wonderful

My kids have loved playing this game! My youngest is 9 and has been playing since she was 8 and my oldest is 13 and has been playing since he was 10. I was very hesitant to let him play at first but I check it out and it is completely appropriate.
My only concern was that when I clicked on the bed, I saw that they can have sex so I was about to go crazy. I realized later that it was only the sheets moving and you can’t see the Sims characters.
It is a good game for learning how to spend your money. You get a bill in game every other week and if you don’t pay it in 48 hours, your services (ex. Water and electricity) is turned off one by one.

Another thing that is great about the game is you can play practice at thing and get really good. For example, if you cook in the game often, your character gets really good at cooking and you can make more and more.
I’m the game you can grow old and live a great life. You can make as many friends as you like. It is a great way to make better choices in life.
Overall I really recommend this game for any kids.

Adult Written byBlazeheart2 December 15, 2018

Awesome

Okay, this may or may not be long!

So! I played this game when I was what, 8? And I had an amazing time! Seriously, I see people saying too much sex, even though they dont even show the sex, and if you're one of those parents who dont want to tell your kid about sex, it is called woohooing or trying for a baby. All in all, it is the best sims game in my opinion at the present time!

Note: I am 11

-Maddie

Adult Written byDeesimmer July 12, 2015

Disappointing

This game was very disappointing.. First I noticed that they took the toddlers away second the world is crappy you do not have the freedom to go anywhere and there are limited houses third they took away cars. Basically you're better off playing the sims 3.. The good thing is that the graphics are good and they do have it where you can multitask and talk to more than one person at a time. But I wish they didn't take a lot sways plus the game has A LOT of bug fixes.. Obviously their QA testers aren't doing their job right.. Speaking of jobs you don't have enough careers in the game.. Plus they came out with get to work expansion its ok.. But I still they had more options The bottom line is if you want fun play the sims 3.. My option i think people who plays this sims have great ideas for what they want to see in the game when they play my advice for the next game is to listen to the people let us have some say so in the game therefore we would enjoy it the most.

Parent of a 9-year-old Written byJakeyc929 January 27, 2015

The sims 4

This is a great life-stimulation game. With very intelligent sims, I would recommend this game strongly.

Adult Written bylettie September 25, 2014

Eh. Go back to the Sims 3 (or 2).

The main purpose of this review, to be honest, is to say that although they say this is available for Mac, it's not - Electronic Arts has not released any information about a potential Mac port of their popular franchise, once again ostracizing a significant part of their consumer base, which is quite frankly idiotic.

Conceptually, this game is no different than its predecessors. You create and control a virtual human being. Many parents may find that the game's "Woohoo" (read: sex) option is inappropriate, but nothing is ever shown and any nonsexual situations with nudity (like going to the bathroom, or taking a shower) are pixelated out.

A concern I have is the game's new emotional system that contributes to your Sim's AI, specifically the "depression" mood, which trivializes a serious mental disorder as a simple emotion caused by trivial events, used to create good art, and is subsequently overcome. This is a gross depiction and invalidates the legitimate suffering those with depression experience, and only contributes to the negative stigma of those who suffer with depression.

Overall, I'd stick with the Sims 3 (or 2, even) for now, if not because of the aforementioned mistreatment of mental illness but because of the lack of features previously present in past Sims base games that are missing from the Sims 4. Aside from the new, more intuitive character creation system and the flawed emotional-based AI, there is nothing new here you cannot get (for cheaper) in past games. If sex is an issue for you, avoid this game, otherwise, it is a fun game (although a bit vapid, there's really nothing to learn) for preteens and teens.
Adult Written byJacksonN June 25, 2020

I found a way to prevent sims from becoming pregnant.

This is something that will help a lot if you have children who want to play the game https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1e/24/8e/1e248e72487e5f114f1ff96b4874200c
.png
Adult Written bykaramerlin April 15, 2019

Great!

I love how you can create your character in build a sim and create your sims life. I also think it is cool how you can keep your family going for many generations.(but if you want to get an expansion pack, the in my opinion you should get the cats and dogs one or the get to work one).

Parent of a 9-year-old Written byLifina July 14, 2018

Depends, But A Bit Mature

It really depends on where your child is maturity-wise. If you've already had "the talk" with your child, it's no big deal, as there are only mild sexual references and they are all benign (what do you expect, it's a life simulation!). However, if your child hasn't had this conversation yet, it may lead to some unwanted questions. There is no swearing, only slight violence ("shove" and "fight" which is blurred out in a dust cloud), no drug or tobacco references at all, and the "drinking" in game doesn't make sims drunk, they are basically drinking expensive juice. It also has educational value with children learning how to balance money and interactive careers.

Parent Written bybird23 June 19, 2018

The best game ever!

My kids LOVE this game i think that it is a great game along as your kids aren't / don't download inaproprent content such as wicked whims or wicked woho

Adult Written byMichelle A. December 26, 2016

The sims 4

The Sims 4 is an easy game to play, but Sims may do an action such as “woohoo” or “try for baby”, making it a bit inappropriate even though action is not to be seen. No drinking or drugs, Kids may learn about how to manage money and life and balance a family.

Adult Written byjp1 October 12, 2014

More Child-friendly than the other versions

As a fan of the old games, this one is a HUGE disappointment. However, it focuses more on creating the characters and building/decorating the houses and less on character interaction. For that, I find that it is more "child-friendly".
Adult Written byJelenaH2509 May 30, 2021

Learning Experience!

My twelve year old daughter has asked me to get this game for her multiple times until I decided to look into it. I saw many reviews saying there was sex involved and I hesitated a little bit so I downloaded the game and checked it out myself. I learned that, yes it does have the ability to have sex but everything is covered, you do not even see your sims. Also when your sims are using the restroom or taking a shower/ bath everything is blurred out. About the learning part, your sims can gain money from selling things or getting a job, and it teaches children to be financially responsible. Also you get bills every month and if you don’t pay them you lose electricity and water. Your children can dress there sims in whatever they want and may also start families. I think that overall it teaches advantages and disadvantages of the real world, but isn’t for any one under the age of eleven or twelve.

Adult Written byruraljur0r February 23, 2021

Fun for all ages!

The nice thing about the The Sims 4 is that it’s a goofy game at its core. All the features that mimic real life do so in an hyperbolic manner. The deaths are never graphic and honestly a little bit amusing, alcohol is replaced with juice, violence is minimal and comical, and the romance is as tame as what you’d see in a Disney movie. So it’s really up to the players imagination to make anything more dark or intense if they desire, so I believe there’s plenty for a younger audience to enjoy without it ever feeling mature.

I watch a 5-year-old kid who likes to watch me play/help me make choices in the game, and we just stay away from romance since it doesn’t interest him. There’s nothing inappropriate that he sees and he enjoys the clear and vibrant graphics and simply wants to see some of the crazier parts of the game like cowplants and aliens. He’s seen more violence in in tv shows and movies honestly. Watching a sim get devoured by a cowplant is far less traumatic than watching Scar push Mufasa off that cliff in The Lion King.

I put 12+ for my rating just because I feel like younger kids might not be able to navigate the game with as much ease independently (though these days kids are great at using technology so that’s probably not a concern. The game does require a lot of reading and text so I do think tweens might be more interested than a younger crowd). The woohoo feature does allude to sex but it’s so tame that younger players probably wouldn’t even catch on to what it’s meant to be.

Further, the game encourages creativity, especially with the build feature. There are so many cool things you can do visually and stylistically that make the creator use problem solving skills and really push the limits of their creativity.

The only downside to a game with no clear goal and so many options is the additive quality. I would warn parents to limit their kids screen time with this game since it can be very consuming. But as others have said, as far as gaming these days goes, this game is very tame in comparison to other popular games, and it can encourage good decision making (sims will have consequences if the player does not take care of their needs and finances). Definitely can be a great game for people of all ages since it has so much to offer!

Adult Written bytracey13 January 7, 2021

I am just a little concerned that some parents think that just because they don't show the characters having sex but its clear that is happening is fine. Also, why again are the girls dressing options so sexy??? Are we ever going to stop sexualizing young girls?