All parent member reviews for Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Parent Written byFatherofThreeSons September 13, 2013

Disappointing language

First you should know that I am a HUGE Splinter Cell fan. I absolutely loved 1-3 and enjoyed 4. Second, you should know that I find profanity offensive. Some argue its contradictory to find language offensive and not be offended by the snapping of an enemies neck. I have my reasons but to put it simply - the violence is fake. Profanity is profanity - there is no difference between hearing it in "real life" and in a game. When I heard Conviction was overflowing with the use of the f-word, I did not buy it. When I heard the language was toned down for this title, I was excited - I thought I'd be able to play Splinter Cell again. I never played conviction - so based on what I've heard, I'm sure Blacklist is a notch down. However, the language is still excessive. I heard the f-word twice in the opening cutscene, 3-4 times in the first full mission, another couple times between missions, and another couple times a short way into the 2nd full mission. That's where I stopped. It's about all I could take. I hope that some that have similar feelings will find this review helpful and save your money. That said - the gameplay (what I got to see) was top-notch. I decided to play a little more. So far the language after the 2nd mission is significantly less. I'll continue to play and update this post after I finish the game.
Parent Written bycrazygamer August 22, 2013

Splinter Cell Blacklist Review

I think this game is a great game with some language that may pop up twice or three times in the game. There is some violence that contains a lot of blood but it isn't like any other Splinter Cell game where you can choose good or bad sides to slit throats but you can interrogate terrorists that try to kill you which can be considered brutal. So there is a slight positive message from Sam Fisher that shows you that he interrogates only in self defense. Children should know that violence in the real world is wrong and they should only protect themselves from getting hurt and that they shouldn't cause any violent acts. This game is pretty good for mature teenagers around 14-15 years and up.
Parent Written byaweasomeparent123 December 11, 2013

Great game play it how you want!

This game is not pure violence. You can beat the entire game without killing a single person. The character Sam Fisher also isn't killing people just for the fun of it he is protecting the US and his daughter.
Parent Written bysmartasain4427 April 10, 2014

Splinter Cell Blacklist

This game isn't as bad as you may think it is. Sure its rated for different things such as blood, language, and violence. The blood isn't that bad. Its really not anything different from one of Halo games or Assassin's Creed games, which if you don't already know, isn't very much at ALL. Next, the language. The language is a little bit bad, but if your kid knows the words, then it should be fine. Some of the words I've heard are like F**k, S**t, and the occasional a*****e, other than that its completely fine. I've played through the entire game about 3 times or so, and I've heard minimal language. In each mission, I might hear about 2-3 F bombs, but that's it, so its not all that bad. Lastly the violence parts of this game, the violence in this game is very minimal. Sure there is shooting and stuff, but its not anything worse than a rated T game. But all of the stabbing could be a problem. But if your kid plays stuff like Assassins creed where your shoving a sword into someones face, this is completely fine. There a a few "stealth action" parts in the game that may include choking and stuff, but its not all that bad. In my opinion, its similar to a regular fighting game. All in all, this is a very good game and I think that it is appropriate for any kid 11 and up.
Parent Written byNick9 August 18, 2014

Splinter Cell Blacklist

It Is Alright I played it my self before Leting my 11 year old play it it is violent but nothing like disinmemberment it has a few swear's but genrally it is ok
Parent Written byAwesome DaD July 9, 2015

Sam is back :D

Not suggested for kids under the age of 15 the reason is intense violence and continues use of words like f++k and sh+t.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byDave 15 June 4, 2014

Ok

My kid has never said language at school or home and not like other kids,he is responsible enough,there isn't actually a lot of blood and gore,only happens when killing someone,and my kid is responsible,so its only one type of action that causes gore,so,im picky about tv shows and movies that my son watches and M-Rated games,i let him play the Call of Duty series as long as he doesn't play Zombie Mode,Im not saying all M-Rated games are ok but Splinter Cell Blacklist is ok for 12 years and up,this was the first M-Game I let my kid play,so i suggest this game for kids,If you are a parent get the game for your kid.
Adult Written bySlaidlaw August 21, 2013

Best stealth/assault game of 2013

This game is a 4 star game. I love it. But there's a lot of language in it. I recommend this game for 14 and up.
Educator and Parent of a 7, 9, 12, 13, 15, 17, and 18+ year old Written byHistoryOnFire™ April 11, 2014

You *(%^#%@# guys!!!

Are you serious? I understand that every family has different values. Free will and all that stuff. For us, we find swearing VERY OFFENSIVE. My son and I have played Splinter Cell from the beginning...I would really like to play it with my 7 year old now...since my 19 year old is making babies and out of the nest (for now)! Progressively the language has got to a point to where it will never be played in my house. I am not a prude...I understand that I live in a world were adultery and searing are acceptable...but not in my home. And if in your home that's ok...it's YOUR house. I wouldn't even ask you to watch your mouth at YOUR house...but in my house...I might get rich if I had a swear jar. hehe Would I? :) I think I will try an experiment. Every time I hear a swear word on TV then I will turn the TV off for 15 minutes. I wonder how much TV watching I will do? I think that is unfortunate for us that we will never enjoy this franchise the way we did. I don't want to get into trouble here... :) For some...the language may not be a bother. For others. such as myself it is. Does anyone know of a way (other than the volume control) to turn off the bad language...to give options? I read somewhere concerning this game, "I swear like a truck driver and the swearing is too much for me!" ALL I can say is, "THAT IS A LOT OF &*(%($(^$ SWEARING. @+()^^$$^&$ you guys!!!!!! I guess we will play tennis. LOL "It's not like Grimm's paying me by the hour. Messy...hold still...don't speak...DON'T EVEN BREATH! No more fooling around! There are times to stay calm...this isn't one of them...better luck next time. Gravity...still working! Say hi to the sidewalk. Good luck finding your teeth...I hope you have dental. It's better you than me. Sorry to spoil your good looks...nothing a little plastic surgery won't cure. Bet that hurt...your gonna need more than a bandage. Your not gonna wanna go out in public...hold still. This wasn't part of the plan...it's the waiting that kills me...it's like they aren't even trying. You've got one choice...HOLD STILL! uhh I like that." Blessings, Reverend Kevin History On Fire™
Parent Written byOfficialGuy September 18, 2015

The blood and gore and language

The game is based on the stealth shadow genre so you are mainly taking out people in the shadows so you cant see it. So blood and gore are useless to complain about. Language is strong but if your child like my child plays games like call of duty, batman arkham I guess he or she is allowed. Please learn something from this because I am also an expireced player
Adult Written byJester™ October 31, 2013

Stealth Action Game can be Played Non-Lethally

Splinter Cell: Blacklist is truly amazing in the way that it presents player-choice. Similarly to Dishonored, you can complete the entire game as Sam Fisher without killing anyone. The game even allows you to progress through the entire game unseen without ever laying a finger on an enemy (cutscenes excluded). Of course there are lethal options and in such instances there is blood spray from wounds and splatter on walls and floors. But the game is never overtly-gory. There is no dismemberment or viscera. Personally, i recommend playing it stealthily and non-lethally for the most tense, enjoyable experience.The profanity has also been reduced drastically from cutscenes (enemies still cuss a lot) as opposed to Conviction. Even the story and characters are fleshed-out and, while a little cliched in parts, entertaining. Overall, Splinter Cell: Blacklist is definitely one of the best titles to come out this year. Jester's Rating: 10/10 (*NOTE* The Australian classification for Splinter Cell: Blacklist is MA15+ for Strong Violence.)