All parent member reviews for Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition

Parent of a 12 year old Written byJoth13 May 4, 2014

Not Bad

Compared to some of the ultra violent games of today, this one is surprisingly tame. There's not an excess amount of blood or ogre, and there is a tiny bit swearing. Feminism can also come into play, as we see the lone female character overcome violent and crazy men. It gives an all around good experience.
Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written byDarth Mal April 20, 2016

Does Not Portray A Strong Female Lead

I am a father, with a wife and two young children. Do not get me wrong, for what it is, this game is really good: Great story, graphics, gameplay, mechanics. But I believe it is for mature young players, as some of the adult concepts require discussion. Let me explain. I only gave it 4 stars because it does not portray a strong female lead like everyone thinks or sees in the Tomb Raider franchise. In this game, Lara Croft amounts to nothing more than a sex symbol, covered up by a faux-Indiana Jones toughness. Everyone has the idea that Lara Croft is supposed to be the quintessential female role model: independent, tough as nails, adventurous, respected as an equal. Instead, if you pay attention, somehow in the middle of her doing all this badass stuff, the game's developers still manage to portray her as the cliché damsel in distress. The opposite of what we all believe Lara Croft to be. For example: - Personality contradictory to her character: Every single time she slips, falls, gets grabbed, surprised, attacked, etc., her reaction is that of some cliché cheerleader-type having 1st-world problems (keep in mind, Lara Croft is supposed to be what I described above; seasoned and tough). - Objectification of women: The camera angles take every chance they can get to show off her over-perfect, unrealistic, female figure. The camera even goes so far as to catch inappropriate angles of her chest and behind. - Excessive violence towards women: Lara winds up in terribly violent situations. It seems like the developers went out of their way creating some of Lara's misogynistic and deviant captors. The player is shown intense cinematic scenes with Lara as the subject of something straight out of a woman's rape nightmares. All the while, the tough-as-nails tomb raider is responding to her situation like a frightened sorority girl from B-rated horror flick. Also present here? The wrong message for boys. This is how we treat women when they are bad, so they know who's boss, right? I am trying to raise my kids with equality in mind. My son can have his toys "for boys" and my daughter can have her toys "for girls", but they also know they can choose between the two, and that is perfectly natural, as well. My daughter plays Titanfall (a "boy" game), my son still collects plush dolls of his favorite anime characters. I would rather my kids be older before they are subjected to the mature concepts present in this Tomb Raider game.
Parent Written byJsykes71 July 2, 2016

Great For Adults

I remember playing the Tomb Raider series a decade ago and being completely enthralled with the puzzles, tombs, switches, action, and excitement the game offered. Now that I have a son, I was super excited to see it was available for PS4. I purchased the game and played through it before allowing him to have a go at it. Upon completing the game, I immediately took it out and placed it on 'Dad's shelf'. The graphics were awesome. The game play is a bit different than I remembered, but still a lot of fun. The foul language and violence however, caused it to be an 'adult only' game in our house. Completely inappropriate for children as it teaches them it's ok to use foul language in normal everyday situations. Maybe it's just us, but we don't use that type of language in our house, and I don't want my son learning it from a video game. What ever happened to just having fun? Anyway, I loved it, but my son has a few years to go before he's ready to be exposed to it.
Adult Written bySam Marrick March 8, 2016

Darker and Grislier Done Right!

Its great. The atmosphere, detailed environments, are a joy to explore and relic hunt in, the addictive and well paced progression, the eureka moments with puzzles, Uncharted like explosive setpieces with viscerality that is helped with the M rating and excelent gunplay make this must buy! The story is rather pedestrian,predictable, typical Indy fare (not on Last Crusades level but a little above Temple of Doom's) but Lara is likable throughout and the player vies for her evloution into a survivor and a warrior. That said the game is kind of a gore fest. Granted its not constant like say Gears or Prototype but still frequent even in exploring areas. Blood and bone spray with each hit in great quantities with vivid sounds and later on graphic executions (Lara also apparently has adopted Nathan Drakes sociopathy). Several scripted scenes show bloody stabings and shootings (Laras 1st kill is very graphic and Traumatic for her. Shattered skull and torn flesh visible as the the killed gurgles his last). A monsters feeding chample is adorned with graphicaly mutilated hanging nude bodies (only posteriors visible) and entrails makes up for the lack of furniture. A kill pit, initiation chamber is similarly adorned, and we see starved insane tortured souls suffer in thier cages raving madly. This is also after Lara swims her way thru a river of blood and corpses. Many rotting corpses seennin a shanty town and we see a fresh one thron into a pit into the players view after some disturbing slashing and gurgling noises. Yet another gore temple in the last chapter. There are also graphic player death animations like having head crushed by a falling rock, getting your throat slit or being impaled thru the neck on a tree branch. 44 F words (dialog and audio logs combined).