All parent member reviews for Tomb Raider

Parent Written byFatherofThreeSons March 14, 2013
LEARNING

Excellent game. Great story, great characters, great gameplay, horrible dialogue.

Tomb Raider is a great game. Great story, great character development, and great gameplay. The game is violent and the language is over-the-top. I read this review and mistakenly interpreted it to mean the use of the f-word and sh-word were minimal. That was a misinterpretation. It starts off rare enough but by the end of the game, you'll hear the f-word just about every time the enemies speak. It's ridiculous. It's a shame too. This was by far the best Tomb Raider game I've played. And Lara Croft wasn't overly sexualized, which was a nice change of pace. I really wish more game developers would provide language filters - the technology's there - why not give consumers a choice?
Parent Written byFeliciaJohnson March 8, 2013

Lara Croft - A Good Role Model

A voilent game with a little cursing and blood. Teaches kids a few things about survival, and presents the gamers with a positive role model. Lara Croft shows to be strong and the fact that the main character is a woman helped me be alright with my twelve year old son getting the game. If your son is looking for a game, I advise this one.
Parent Written bytoddler1963 March 9, 2013

Language and Graphic Violence Filter, Please!!!

As good as this game is, it is definitely not for kids. It has very engaging story but, the language from each character is foul and quite honestly a put off. Unless this franchise gives the option in the future to turn off the foul language, I will not be purchasing any more of their games. I would not recommend this game for anyone under 18. Whether you like it or not, if you are under 18 you are still a kid.
Educator and Parent Written byJare321 March 8, 2013

Video Games Not All Bad

At a faculty discussion, we talked about violent video games' affect on kids. Teachers gave examples, and then we talked about games that are beneficial for kids. Thats when this game came up. We watched a short gameplay video about it, and the talked about it. It is a violent game, but not in the way normal games are. In normal games, you are a soldier or a terrorist. Whereas in Tomb Raider, you are a your explorer fighting for your life on an island. The inhabitants of the island are crazy and are part of a cult, which may scare a few viewers. But overall, an semi-appropriate game for kids twelve and up.
Parent Written byteparadox November 9, 2013

So far so good, just as long as the kids are not around.

Just started it. about 1/4 of the way through. Came across 1 f-word. Graphic violence showing up close kills, and a button timed fight sequence that shows you shooting a man in the head - and full detail of him dying. Slight sexual with Lara getting groped at times. Very real and graphic violence over all.
Adult Written byIpzilla May 18, 2013

Use discretion

This game is the bomb. It's a thrilling yet innovative game that clearly gives the player a challenge as opposed to a "shoot everyone and kill" game. The graphics are very well done in gameplay though the cut scenes are not perfect. The sexuality of Lara is also not as emphasized in this game than in previous ones; and all in all, she mostly just appears more human. This game is a must get for adventure lovers. Ok, now for the bad. If some of you were surprised by the M rating on this when it first came out, you're not alone. However, it rightfully earns this rating due to High amounts of strong language and very graphic scenes of death, killing and bloodshed. Not to mention that this game is a lot darker than the previous lara croft games. I would say that even kids in their mid teens should not play this due to the influence that frequent curse words and graphic slaughter can have on a teen. I put this as 16+ tentatively because parents ultimately know what is best for their child and know when they are mature enough play this game. Either way, it's a great adventure game but with very depicted violent scenes and reoccurring uses of swear words.
Parent Written byTheRightReviews May 4, 2013

This is good for...

Tomb raider is an amazing game. The reason a mature tween can handle it is because, Lara only does what she has to. She hates killing but in order to survive, she doesn't have a choice. It is a very realistic game and portrays war the way it is, brutal and horrible. This will show tweens what fighting is really like, and next time they play Black Ops 2 they'll know that war isn't all fun and games. The game itself is one of the best adventure games out there,I recommend that if you're a gamer you check it out as well. I hope this helps you decide,thanks for reading,and have a nice day.
Parent Written byHonestreviews48 April 29, 2013

Good game for 9+

Not so bad, just if your character dies it shows a violent scene.
Parent Written byfieldsnyc March 13, 2013

Not for kids of any age.

This is an extremely violent and disturbing game, solidly for adults only.
Parent Written byJefferyann May 17, 2014

AWSOME

This is a good game for children 10 and up. It has a little bit if violence but it is a great...game fantastic graphics! Ten is a great age.
Educator and Parent Written byPlimoutheducator123 January 2, 2014

Great game

Engaging and fun I let my 11 year old play this after months of moaning and then actually realised it portrays the world the way it is unfair and brutal all topics in this game are what my child talks about at school next time he looks at call of duty or battle field he will know that fighting isn't actually fun but brutal and emotionally hard Lara is a great positive role model and the game teaches children a bit about survival and how to stay safe just tone it down to your village or city and they will soon understand why it's better safe than sorry
Parent Written bysmartasain4427 May 19, 2014

Tomb Raider

This reboot of the popular "tomb raider" franchise is very fun, but also gets an upgrade in the esrb rating. This game does have violence in it and does contain some foul language, but its actually not all that bad. The games blood level isn't too high, but it does have some. in comparison, it has about the same amount as skyrim, assassins creed, or half life, which if you haven't played these isn't very bad. The violence does include stabbing and shooting, but its nothing like assassins creed where you stab the enemy right it the face. In this game, its mostly to the chest or stomach and very rarely the neck. There is also shooting that can get somewhat intense. In comparison, I would say its like call of duty or assassins creed level violence. The language isn't very bad either. They do say words like f*ck and s*it, like CSM said, but it isnt very frequent like they said. For example, like in 10 minutes, you may hear 3-4 f bombs, which isnt that bad compared to most other shooters. All in all, great game.
Adult Written bycrcook84 June 10, 2013

A grittier, (emotionally) harder Lara Croft

I haven't actually played this game myself. However, after the "rape scene" controversy, I decided to watch some walkthroughs. This game is to the franchise what Casino Royal was to James Bond. Lara has been reinvented into a more realistic adventurer. You will deal with everything she would have to deal with if you were in the wilderness, including killing a man out of survival (and it's not a quick death). If that's not enough, there are the death scenes. I found some videos on YouTube (I advise you take my word for this) and they go beyond Game Over. Some are like "she's dead Jim" and you pick up at the last save. Others, because of how shocking and sudden they are...well, let's just say they remind me of the Zapruder film. I've played one of the Tomb Raider games (Angel of Darkness) just to see what it was like. I enjoyed it up to a point. I had to get through an area but I had to shoot some guards just to do it. I have no idea if they were innocence or if they were part of the bad guys (an article I read in a culture magazine described a game where the only way you could get through an area was to shoot a guard or a police office). Because of that, it bothered me. Anyone who likes a gritty game could find this enjoyable. However, if you're looking for a good female role model, I'd aim for some of the lighter Tomb Raider games or even another series entirely. How 'bout Nancy Drew?
Parent Written bygamerdad711 November 14, 2015

Great game Great graphics

A mature 10 year old should be able to handle this. There is violence in this game but I have no problem with it. Tomb raider has about the same amount of violence and blood as there is in the roblox game phantom forces. There is no blood pools in the game like there is in roblox phantom forces. The only way a 10 year old kid would want to murder someone after playing this is if they are retarded or are already mean and evil towards people. Also the swearing is not much at all. There is no sexual stuff like there is in grand theft auto five .In this game you would hear words like f**k s**t b@$***d h*ll and d*mn through out the game but they would swear for a little while and stop talking for most of the game so just tell your kid not to swear and remind that things in video games should not be attempted in real life.
Adult Written byJWilliams303 April 24, 2013

Just What Us Tomb Raider Fans Were Waiting For!

Where do I begin to tell how great this game is...Well let me just say that I always loved playing the Tomb Raider games when I was younger, even though I wasn't so good at them back then. When I heard about this game coming out and telling a story on how Lara Croft became an adventurer, I was anticipating the day it was coming out. This game has an amazing story line, great graphics, and a big area so you can look all around the island. There are some puzzles in the game, some more harder than others, but other than that it's pretty straight forward. You also get to fight off the enemies and also has you stay on your toes because you never know what going to happen next. This game is very violent and might be a little too much to some. Lara Croft is also a good role model in this game; she is an innocent and scared wanderer when her and her crew crash onto the island, but once when you progress through the game, she becomes more braver and is also always helping her crew members out when they are in need of help. A lot of Tomb Raider fans are not going to be disappointed in this game, as a matter of fact, its so good that once when you beat it you'll want to play it again.
Parent of an infant, infant, infant, infant, infant, 6, 9, 12, 12, 14, 14, and 18 year old Written byjacobstolman March 29, 2015

great but isnt educational

the game is great it bought it for myself i always likes the old games and this one was FANTASTIC the game was we made the language isn't a problem set your sound to zero there was blood not tons but it wasn't invisible when you look away from the body the blood is usually gone and when you shoot an animal there never is any blood unless you skin it you can skip the scene and the carcass and animal is gone i think a 12 year old would with out a doubt love this game
Adult Written byChrisH. November 25, 2014