All parent member reviews for World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Educator and Parent Written bykatrinalorien July 4, 2011

Appropriate depending on "guild"

Content on MMORPG games like Cataclysm is always different depending on the people your child/children interact with. For instance in several MMORPGS (including WoW - Cataclysm) the player can join a guild, or a group of players that represent a team. I enjoy several online games, but I would be careful which guild your child joined. Several guilds, probably most guilds, need ways for people to communicate effectively and quickly, so they have your child download ways to talk to other guild members. Some guild members can be crude adults who talk about mature concepts, and might send private messages to your child. Blizzard is a good company, and will help you maintain a measure of control over your child's account, but they may not be able to control what guild your child joins. Whether or not there is appropriate language for your child depends on the guild, so if I were you, I would just monitor what guild your child joins. If they join a decent guild, chances are good that they will have a good gaming experience.
Adult Written byVincentus July 12, 2011

It's a bigger world than you think...

I have been playing World of Warcraft in all of its formats for 5 years and I would like to put a warning out to parents that you absolutely MUST watch what your children are doing and talking to on this game! There is a sticker on the side of the game that states "game experiences may change while online" and it couldn't be any more right! If you don't want your children surrouned by constant inappropriate language and older players who spend more than a few minutes a day on the game, beware! This game is also designed to be addictive, so stay stringent with your time constraints! It's a great game to play together as a family, but it can go bad very quicly. Excersize caution around WoW.
Parent of a 10, 18, and 20 year old Written byn8lhg July 24, 2011

Language a SERIOUS issue in online play

World of Warcraft is an awesome fantasy online game. Play is fun, and the depth of the game is amazing. However, once you begin to interact with people online that play the game, you find language to be a big problem. Its VERY COMMON to see the “F” bomb dropped as a normal word, as well as hard core sexual content just in general chat. Its not uncommon to see racism, sexism, deviant sexual content, and serious bullying problems. Parental controls are useful, but in some cases, ineffective. I’m a fairly easy going parent. I play Warcraft myself, but consider the language to be a dangerous problem for any child under the age of 17. Kids begin to become hardened to the verbiage, and in many cases, begin to emulate the language in their own communications within the game. If you are a parent that is involved with their kids online play, you are probably ok. But to leave a child play this game unsupervised, is very dangerous. Blizzard has policies governing the use of language and bullying, however, their policing in game is totally ineffective. You as a parent, need to keep a close eye on the activity while playing this game. Phishing is also a serious problem in game play. Many players posing as blizzard employees, successfully steal accounts and virtual property by the hundreds on a day to day basis, again, well beyond the ability of Blizzard to police. I guarantee that if you sit down with your child who play this game, you will find that they all have been exposed to some, or all of this activity during game play. Parents, open an account with your child, and play along with them. Don’t let them play alone. I think you would be shocked at what goes on.
Parent of a 9 and 17 year old Written byMCOLWELL February 1, 2011

Parental supervision a good idea.

With some parental supervision and basic restrictions in place (language filter, ect..) this game is fine for age 8 and up.
Adult Written byHonestHerb March 19, 2011

Going against the trolls and people who obviously didn't play this I will step up and actually tell you what its like. This game has its moments of being fun, other things where it can be pointless and mind numbing to play. But overall this game if left out of hand can be a drug. A drug that you cannot get off of without major efforts. However, when played sparingly this game is a decent way to pass the time when you have nothing important to do. So unless you have a great management of time, as in yourself, invent in those skills right away. If you are letting your child play this use the parental configures to make a set time your child is locked out of the game until the next day from the minute they are logged into a character. The game is simplistic in its idea. You have two sides fighting against each other to control resources, territory, and ensure their survival in a constant world that goes into potential danger from the likes of the scourge, undead monsters, burning legion, demons, the blue dragonflight, magic using dragons set on ruining the balance of magic in the world, twilights hammer, a cult working with the black dragonflight, whos purpose is to cause destruction in the world. When you first start the game everything is laid out in black and white what you are supposed to do. It is to start from level 1 and work your way, by questing, doing tasks for other people, grinding, killing for experience, dungeons, in which you work with four other people to clear, player versus player (PvP), teaming up with 9-39 other players to defeat the opposite faction on a pre-made area for earlier mentioned resources, and then eventually starting raids upon reaching the level 85-- in which you work with 9-24 other players to defeat various creatures that are determined to destroy the world, name Azeroth. The violence in this game isn't horrible to say the least but sometimes can be a little iffy and potentially graphic, such as a cutscene of a mans face being melted off from chemicals dropped on top of him and many other people in the earlier expansion, wrath of the lich king. In this game the language can be filtered by either completely removing the channel from the list of chats by a command of /leave [channel name here] e.g '/leave trade' and by setting the language filter. HOWEVER! This does not mean that you can completely shelter them from all the language as there are still places in which the language can still get to your child. The earlier cutscene mentioned has a few words go off in the form of 'd's but goes no farther than that. There is some sexual suggestions but none that are not avoidable and sometimes occur without warning. There is nothing that can be done but to explain to your child if they are old enough. e.g 'the talk'. There are some positive and negative messages in this game. Each message and potential moral that can be found in this game is open to being interpreted by the person and cannot be viewed the same way. Overall, the game is unique all its own along with its ups and downs. Manage the time your child plays, if your child sees something in the game sit down and try to explain what is happening the best you can if it will affect their view on the world. The reason I say age 12 is because of the ability to understand and make their own decisions that can go out of your ability to control.
Adult Written byMagnumSerpentine December 31, 2010

One of the better On-line Games

In this expansion, Blizzard has gotten the flow of the quest right. Each quest leads into another and leveling from 80 to 85 took me about 10 days (With more than 8 hours a day away from the game)
Adult Written byBookWorm March 25, 2011

Definitely requires monitoring by parents for a number of reasons. It is an easy time suck. In this virtual world, it is impossible to know who the real people behind the virtual characters are. Some elements of the game are of more concern then others. Parents who are World of Warcraft players themselves, or play it with their children will be best equipped to monitor children as they explore the world and guide them to the more age appropriate activities, based on your own family's values. There are some controls that parents can enable to help manage how children interact with this incredibly complex and large fantasy world.
Parent of a 3, 4, 6, 9, 10, and 13 year old Written byGarb January 29, 2011

This is a great game for kids and adults to play together with other people from around the world as well as friends and family from around town. You can learn a lot from the game and the people that you play with. As with anything involving large groups of people, there are good people and not so good people that can influence the environment. The game has a Guild system for like minded people to group together allowing for a safe and friendly online community. While chat in major city's can get out of hand, it can be filtered or turned completely off for younger players, limiting there contact with the more negative aspects of the game (which come from the other people in the world and not the game itself). The Violence in the game is mild by comparison to many other games, movies and even basic TV violence seen today. That said this is a combat based game that is about questing and fighting against creatures, humanoid beings, and monsters of all kinds in order to progress in the game.
Adult Written byJeff Quick July 13, 2011

Great Game for Certain Kids

World of Warcraft or WoW is an incredibly immersive and large MMORPG made by Blizzard, and by far, one of the best out there. The best part of the game is the fact that you need to work together with others to eventually get the top of the line gear available to characters in the game, and it is also challenging. Leveling to the max is not for the faint of heart, as it WILL take hours upon hours of gameplay to achieve, but help your kids moderate it. I must stress this game should be played with discretion because not all kids may play the game with as much success or understanding as others, and online interaction is not for everyone. As far as gameplay goes, it's pretty point and click but there are a lot of mechanics for dungeons onced you hit 85, especially in the highest level raids for 60, 70, 80, and 85. This game teaches kids how to work together in a team, and also how to be resourceful and pay attention to detail. Constant updates help to make the game safe and playable with very few glitches, but for anyone who is younger, there is a mature language filter...KEEP IT ON. You are playing with people much older who do not use discretion so be careful! Thanks hope this is helpful, Jeff
Parent of a 2 year old Written byDelusions Demise December 28, 2012

LEARNING

Life wrecker: but an ok game if you have the time

I've played this game, I am Twenty Years old and only 6 months sober. I know what I'm talking about, so please listen to me. I am trying to save your lives! This game is not for Children, Adults, or Anyone who needs to have a life and earn money for their future families. It may be for people who have a lot of free time, no girlfriends/wives, financial stress, or children. Save your childrens lives! please! I am about to tell you how and why this game does this to you. Listen carefully. First of all, it is the company blizzards design of the game. It takes at least 5 days (5x24hours) to level 1-85 (now 90). That is assuming you were not around for the last expansion. Next, it takes 4 days to completely prepare for the content ahead. Moreso, if you're behind a few patches (4x24hours). Next, you've got to decide weather to raid/pvp or both. please, if you must play, never choose both! Raiding takes at least 4 hours a night or 5-6 hours in two nights, not including set up which takes as much as an hour. If the content was just released add another 4 hours for progression. If their is new players to the content, but it hasn't just been released, add two hours. Getting enough gold for flasks and repairs easily takes at the very least 4 hours. Going out of your way for a few spare acheivements will take at least 2 hours. If your son/daughter loves achievements and wants them all, add 4 hours a week. Social interraction between your friends will total to at least 2 hours of reasonless chat. If your son or daughter is an internet troll (internet bully) add an extra 4 hours minimum chat. If your son/daughter is a role player add at least 2 hours of role play. If your son PvPs add at least 2 hours of world pvp and 4 of rated battleground a week. Finally, if your son is a potential economist add a very minimum of 8 hours a week. Now add this all up yourselves and see how many hours a week he can potentially be playing this game instead of doing his homework or making real friends. The problem: The whole purpose of this game (if you don't only role play) is to brag about how good you are at this game. You don't really get any real rewards besides shiny weapons from the end game bosses or achievement points that are used as nothing but vanity show. Competitive people will proceed to fight with each other to convince the casuals who is the better player. If one of them succeeds the entire player base will call him/her a "baddy" and proceed to shun them. Only the strongest warcraft warriors are respected. New players are often called "bads" due to their ignorance and called out in chat. Guilds are run like job applications they have websites where you are expected to fill in applications for your characters and they try you out for awhile and deem if you're worthy to join their guild. Others are full of obnoxious trash talkers and internet trolls which include lots of drama and inappropriate topics. Most of the topics involved politics, sex, and drug use while playing world of warcraft. These were often called mega guilds and had a lack of leadership. There is a general world chat called /2 trade and it is not moderated. Your child will view some of the most disgusting and horrible content (brought by other players) ever imagined. Blizzard will almost never ban them though. Trash talk is really common it doesn't matter if you win or lose or win fairly. It happens a lot. Especially on PvP servers. Some people will try to tell you it is different on different servers. It is simply not true. I have played on Emerald Dream (RP-PvP) (Role Playing Player Versus Player Server) from cataclysm to pandaria. Zuluhed (PvP) (Player Versus Player Server) Wrath of the Lich King, and Surmar (PvE) Burning Crusade and Classic. Listen to me! This game is not worth your lives or your childrens! I have a feeling a lot of the actual mind enslaved player base has rated this on this website! Please heed my real warning as an ex player! I dropped out of college for a semester, got dumped by a girl and lost my job all because I was addicted to this game! I'm better only because I had the courage to press the quit button and I hope you do too!
Adult Written byMcKathlin April 3, 2012

LEARNING

Promotes teamwork, but watch time

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm introduces many new adventures for players at a variety of levels of skill and time investment. A casual gamer can log in once or twice week for a few single-player quests or easier group missions, while a more frequent gamer will be ready for more challenging missions for small or large groups. Serious players use math to figure out how to maximize their effectiveness in battle. Group missions, called dungeons or raids, require teamwork and strategy for success, so there is ample opportunity to practice problem solving and social skills. Players also have the opportunity to join guilds, which are groups of players who socialize and prepare for dungeons and raids together. As with any online social setting, be mindful of Internet safety and courtesy. Cataclysm offers many adventures, and a player gains wealth and power in proportion to time spent, so the game can be hard to put down. Time limits are crucial to playing World of Warcraft responsibly.
Adult Written byJames Cutter June 20, 2012

Decent game

Not that violent, it isn't that bloody or anything. It can get really really expensive though, what I do is I use this website: This way I get free game time for this game. It can require a bit of effort but it's still fairly easy and saves money
Adult Written byandy351 January 29, 2012

I say yes to world of warcraft

I think that it would the violence could be less of a problem because of the educational value and positive role modals.
Parent Written bySuperdjb123 March 23, 2014

Ok

I mean skyrim is worse than this and kids can play skyrim so why not let you 11 yr old play