Kid reviews for World of Warcraft

Become a hero in an enormous online fantasy world.

Teen, 15 years old Written bywillbarchi April 9, 2008

Bleeh. I've seen so many obsessed people!

OK, ITS A GOOD GAME. Don't bite my head of YET! Anyway, I personally dislike wow simply because of the fact that it TAKES OVER LYVEZ! xD Seriously, if you introduce an 11 year old to this, they won't wanna do anything else... Then just sit back and watch as they turn into an unhealthy dweeb with no social life. LOL. Harsh i know, but its the truth. There are 50 YEAR OLDS on this game. Find a more constructive past time for your kids or at least limit play time to an hour a day. Ps, I speak from experience. My next door neighbour eats drinks and SLEEPS wow. Its pretty painful to watch sometimes, cus he's a great kid. :( DONT LET THIS GAME TAKE OVER YOUR LIFE. CHOOSE REAL LIFE OVER REALITY! GET SOME REAL LIFE FRIENDS!
Teen, 15 years old Written byprylozap July 6, 2011

12+ FTW!

Teaches kids how to manage money, can get to know older, kind "guild" members. A lot of people cuss on there, so make sure your kids know your opinion on this. Alcohol is involved, especially as dwarves lol.

Educational Value
Kid, 10 years old March 14, 2014

For kids

You can turn off lots of bad things in parental settings. I started playing when I was 4!

Ease of Play
Kid, 9 years old April 8, 2010

Perfect for children 7+!!

15+? No way! If you feel comfortable with fighting monsters, than this game is for you. Education: Children can learn how to save and spend money. Instead of one type of money, you have gold, silver, and copper. You can also learn about auction and trade. Positive messages: Sure there are some cuss words, but if you are under 13, its best to join a family guild (a guild is like a club) The older members there will be glad to help you and are kind. I know my guild is! Good role models: Sure, you can get drunk, but if you are, your avatar's vision is blurry, and you say things wrong. Example: If you become drunk, and you say "is", sometimes you say "ish" and sometimes you hiccup! Teaching you not to be drunk. Easy to play: The game has easy instructions and helpful tips at first. Also, the holiday games are easy too. Safety: There is a settings section for parents to filter words and such.

Teen, 16 years old Written byPorkychimp October 1, 2015

I love this game

I have played this game since I was a kid, my dad introduced me too it and I've loved it since. I still make time for social activity's and never let it consume my life, only the people who spend theirs lives playing this game are the problem but it is an addictive game, I just never had an addiction

Kid, 10 years old July 22, 2009

awesome game

the best game. even the bad stuff is not really that bad, not an issue. yeah you can drink alcohol but your screen gets all blurry and you can't walk or talk straight. so really i don't if i'm going to actually play. it's a cool game that a lot of people can play, my family all plays together.

Educational Value
Kid, 11 years old July 17, 2009

not gonna try it

i dont play it my cousin does. it very violent.

Teen, 17 years old Written byCallMeSyrup September 3, 2015

Good for 13+, addicting

We've all heard the horror stories about WoW. People dying from playing it too much, people pretty much ruining their lives over it. These things do happen but they really aren't that common. WoW is indeed an addictive game, but it only really gets dangerously addictive if the person playing it has an addictive personality. If they weren't addicted to WoW, they'd be addicted to something else most likely. World of Warcraft is very reliant on fighting, but the fighting is harmless, there are some abilities that cause blood to come from your enemy, but those are only certain abilities. There is barely any swearing, the only swear I've heard is "damn" and I can count the number of times that is said on my fingers. There is also something that I haven't seen any review mention and that's the addition of a "cash shop", a shop where you can buy stuff with real money. It's not game-changing stuff, instead it's just cosmetics and pets. If you have an issue with your child talking or playing with strangers, steer very clear of this game, as this is a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG), there are millions of people playing the game, and there's even some content that forces you to play with other people (Dungeon Finder). A lot of the people on this game are very immature, and when you're in a main town, there is the addition of trade chat which you should turn off because people will say sexual remarks, swearing, etc, etc. There is alcohol, but the only thing that happens is your screen gets blurry.
Kid, 11 years old July 6, 2015

Nothing bad

Other than the alcohol this game is not bad. You create a character and fight monsters and demons. The only bad words are hell and d*mn. this game is appropriate. if you dont like your kids meeting strangers and stuff then dont let them. Talk to strangers. Meet new strangers. I just ignore them.

Kid, 10 years old January 1, 2014

World Of Warcraft

I think that the should be 9 and up as fantasy takes a huge bite out of violence and alcohol so pretty much the only think is avatars in bikinis

Teen, 13 years old Written bywolfblo0d June 26, 2015

its totally ok!

honestly the common sense review is wrong. there is no sexual content, only on a RP (role playing) server in the gold shire tavern. There are female characters wearing barely any clothing there and males trying to hump them. theres really no swearing at all! i swear in all the years iv played this i have never seen/heard any swears (except for damn, but thats not really a swear) there is NO sexual content though and NO nudity at all. the only thing is its a kind of complex game! a younger kid wouldn't really understand it. You also need patience to play the game, getting to level 90 takes a very long time but its worth it! theres minimum gore, barely any at all. you kill lots of things but its all normal. for the online interaction no one really bullies each other or swears but sometimes someone will. if your doing a raid your guild master or the leader might be harsh and scream and swear at you but those people are just rude and immature. i wouldn't have a little kid play this game. Its a great game though! your character can drink whine but its really no biggy. its about teamwork when you do a dungeon or raid and its a great lesson! even if you have never met the people your fighting beside!

Teen, 14 years old Written byjordan.parton September 3, 2014

Outstanding

Although some of the female characters may not be dressed in the best attire, and there is an opportunity to buy booze and consume it. These things are very rare, and hardly ever noticed (most of the scantiness is on ads on other sites, not in the actual gameplay). As for the drinking, It is hardly ever noticed unless you actually seek out to buy the booze, otherwise you won't really need to unless your delivering it for a quest of sorts, and even then it's labeled as "ale" rather than beer or whiskey. As for things like swearing and violence, these things are rare and hard to come by, and all you need to do is explain to your child that the word "damn" is wrong and that violence is equally as bad, and chances are if they do somehow notice a swear or a alcoholic beverage, they will know it is not something of positive value. Other than that it's a beautiful game, it will help your child's imagination flourish and logistical skills, as well as teamwork and communication. I know that when I had this game when I was nine, I saw a swear or too and saw a skimpy woman, but thanks to my parent's counseling I knew that these things are actually frowned upon. Please consider getting this for your child, it will make them so happy, and also in a way prepares them for temptations of alcohol and sex in real life.

Teen, 17 years old Written byPoetic Ramblings January 28, 2013

Great game, amazing graphics, good free version

Despite the title, I have not seen what I would consider graphic violence in the game. And I'm someone who's pretty squeamish about violence. The main thing you want to consider when determining whether or not your child is old enough to play this game, is that you do in fact kill things. It's not as if you see a mangled corpse, but your enemy does lay on the ground, unmoving. Given that this is a MMORPG, you do encounter other players in the game, and it goes without saying that they aren't always pleasant. You can, however, turn off the chat feature in the interface. It is true that not all characters in the game are modestly dressed, but I don't see this to be at all a problem. To quote Liz Lemon, nothing in the "bathing suit area" is revealed. It's not as if the characters are oozing sex. They're animated characters and I personally don't see the big problem if their shoulders or stomachs show. This isn't a great game for tweens that are easily frightened. There are zombies and monsters and the like. But again, nothing particular graphic or in your face. Long and short of it: it's fine for kids on the younger side provided their parents know about the different safety features and tools to limit play time. (Visit battle.net for more info.) Oh, and I do think there are more lessons to be learned then what's stated. You can talk about the warring factions and whether they consider one to be the "good guy" or "bad guy." Discuss the points of view and the good and the bad in both sides. There are some good role models, even in war. Lady Sylvanas, who freed herself and others from oppression and leads them with the hope of one day freeing all of her people. And other great leaders from both sides. Another good topic are the outcasts. The undead and worgen (werewolf like creature) races are two sides of a coin, most of them once being human and now looked down upon by the sides they fight for. As others have warned, this is not a game for people who have what I call "addictive personalities." My dad bought this game as a joint present for my sister and my 17th and 18th birthdays. (We'd been playing on a starter account.) My dad will play for a couple hours after he gets home from work. My sister will also play for a couple hours a day. I generally play less than an hour a day. I find the game is more fun when played for short periods at a time. It's a good stress reliever. Too much play time brings stress, however.

Kid, 11 years old December 24, 2009
This game rocks I got hooked on the first day! my dad plays it to and the violence isn't m- game material. Also some heroes like the argent dawn are extremly focused on protecting the world and its inhabitants.

Teen, 15 years old Written byzmhymes May 17, 2015

WOW

It is a very good and complete game. It is arguably the best of its kind. There is a slight amount of violence, with some blood, but it is very noticeably fantasy. There is a strong alcohol theme with the Dwarves and getting drunk. There are definitely not good role models. Even the so-called good people blow up innocents. There are tiny uses of d*** in the cutscenes, but aside from that it is a great game.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMJ800 April 20, 2015

An amazing game!

To any parents out there who maybe think this game will "ruin your kids life" or are just deciding wether it's appropriate, you have nothing to worry about! I'm a 13 year old girl who bought the game when I was 11. I'm a perfectly healthy 13 year old! I have a loving family, dogs that need walking, and a horse to ride, friends, an homework, and I still find time to play a bit of WoW!The game has amazing graphics, beautiful character choices, and best of all I I do say so myself, you can fly. Yes there is violence but not anything gory or scary! There is only sexual content if you go to the upstairs rooms of the Goldshire inn! It has stupid players (probably lonely middle aged men) Basically being prostitutes. (Sorry if I spelt that wrong) A character can only strip down to their undies so your child won't be able to see any genitalia (again, apologies if I spelt that wrong) As for drinking and drugs, yes you can buy alcohol on different strengths, like "dwarves mead" some will get you drunk quicker than others. World of Warcraft doesn't encourage your kids to buy drink, it actually shows them what happens when you get drunk. Eg. Dizziness, vomiting etc! It does go away eventually. There are no drugs in this game. There are great role models in this game! Wouldn't every girl like to be like Lady Jaina Proudmoore? She's kind, loving, self sufficient, she doesn't rely on others (including men! Hehe!) she's strong, powerful, and looked up to. I think I've said enough! Sincerely from a healthy 13yr old female teen who's life is absolutely fine!

Ease of Play
Teen, 13 years old Written byhermione1226 April 7, 2015

Eats a Hole in Your Wallet

Obviously this isn't a game for young children, but 15 and up? I think that's a little over the top. There really isn't too much in terms of inappropriate content, except for a little violence. The real issue I have with this game is the cost. The disc itself costs $20.00, and it comes with a free month of play-time. After that, though, it's $15 per month. As if that wasn't enough, once you get to a certain point in the game, you need to purchase one of countless expansions. Another tip: once you subscribe, the game charges you every month until you cancel.

Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

I LOVE THIS GAME!!!

OK, first understand that this game has plenty of alcohol, violence, and some blood. And now understand, this game ROCKS!!!!! I swear, this is the coolest game I've ever seen. WAY too time consuming though, and other people can sometimes get through the language filters by typing things like "r-tard", "wtf", and and other stuff. When you hit someone, a small cloud of blood comes out, though if you are an Undead, your blood is light green. You can buy alcohol about anywhere, and you can get anything from Pinot Noir to Bourbon. I really don't think anybody would copy any of this stuff, because while it is fun and addicting, you can't do Sinister Strike or Holy Force. You can get a gun, and you can shoot things, but keep in mind they are blunderbusses, not AK-47s. Seriously. Good. Game.
Teen, 13 years old Written byzorba1994 April 9, 2008

Is the 15 upside down?! (then it would be a "2")

This game has almost nothing in the way of offenses, very mild in every case. One common point though is that it is VERY addictive.
Teen, 15 years old Written byRPG_MAGE August 15, 2012

Know your Warcraft

Ok so a lot of these reviews are pretty negative towards the game. It does contain some alcohol reference but by the time your kid is even 9 or 10 he/she has probably seen you drink either wine or beer at a party or whatever. There is mild language but if your kid has common sense, they won't repeat these words. I have played the game along with many other RPG's and FPSs' and WoW is not even close to one of the "inappropriate" games. Honestly, you just have to know your kid and their level of maturity. If they are mature enough for this game then what you have to worry about is the cost. At the end of a full year of memberships you end up spending $180.00 or more on a virtual world. In my opinion, I think it's totally worth it and completely affordable for someone my age. If you've ever played the game, Wizard101, the cost are much more expensive. First, the membership is 10 dollars a month, thats pretty respectable, the way they make their money is on crowns. Crowns are something Kingsisle sells. It's money in the game that allows you to purchase better gear. Blizzard does something similar but you can still enjoy the game without it unlike W101. If you are fine with all those cons, there is just 1 more before I get to the pros. This game is incredibly addicting. "Just one more level...Just one more level" yep WoW is that kind of game. You just can't sign off yet. You always have to go raid a goblin fort or complete a quest for the panderians or something. There is a way to make it... non-addicting. That is to set time limits. To see what happens to people when they play to mush WoW just watch on YouTube The Guild. It shows how bad it is to get addicted to the game. I also forgot to say people can be huge jerks on Warcraft. Now for the pros. The game helps with team building. Say if two kids don't get along, put them in a guild together and watch the magic work. The game will bond them. They will go on quest and raids together. Eventually, the two will realize they heave a lot in common. Another pro is it teaches kids how to strategize and plan. It also teaches players old english. The NPCs (Non Playing Character) normal use complex words and probably uses every prefix and suffix there is out there. Well, there you have it! I hope this helps your family make a decision on the game. But, before I go I must inform you of the suggestive themes. There is some skin showing on boys and girls. Good luck and have a great day! +13 Game!