All parent member reviews for 127 Hours

Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byBret Friend March 28, 2011

Excellent message to outdoor enthusiasts

This was a very intense movie that shows the victim overcome all odds to survive. There is 1 period that is very gory, but I thought it was necessary to display how extreme the task was. My kids and I enjoy many outdoor activities, and this is a movie a certainly want them to see. However, I believe they need to wait until they are a bit older due to some scenes with sexual overtones in addition to the gore.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byshadii April 20, 2011

Adult Written byjoshua martinez March 30, 2011

this drama movie 127 hours is definitely a good true inspiring movie about a hiker trapped in the bottom of a canyon for more than five days his arm pinned between a boulder and the canyon wall and parents you need to know that 127 hours has a lot of intense bloody violence like in one scene Aron makes a ultimate sacrifice to save his own life by cutting off his arm which can be very disturbing and hard to watch for some viewers and in another scene he passes out in some scenes which can be hard for audiences to see there's some sexual content which involves in Flashbacks shown when Aron is with a former girlfriend They're seen under a blanket, possibly naked presumably after sex There's innuendo and sex talk a carload of teens performs a freeze out taking off all their clothes and rolling down the windows of a moving car on a cold night also there's a lot of strong language used and some drinking used like in one scene some characters are seen drinking beer at a party in an imagined flashback and Aron drinks wine with his girlfriend overall besides of the disturbing images of the movie it does have a strong positive message about triumphing over the odds and facing challenges with courage the role model is that Aron is a brave survivor and a hero someone who faced incredible odds and won.
Adult Written byTenthfisch April 10, 2015

If your kids scare easily...

We thought we could just skip through the gross, inappropriate, or really intense parts. Unfortunately, I did not recall the weird Scooby-Doo hallucinations. These totally freaked my kids out.
Adult Written byOneVeryLongUsername January 30, 2015

"127 Hours" - Parental and Artistic Review.

Sexual Content: Before succumbing to the stone, as it were, Aron encounters two pretty women and promises them an experience that's "the best you can have with your clothes on; but it's better with your clothes off." He then shows them the way to a hidden pool, where they all swim. Aron takes off his shirt and one of the girls strips down to her underwear. Aron records the experience on his video camera, and later, when he's trapped, he replays the images, pausing for a lingering look at exposed cleavage. He moves his hand toward his crotch before he utters a frustrated "no!" Aron also has brief flashbacks to an experience he had, perhaps in college, when he and loads of other men and women in a van stripped down to their skivvies (in the jumble, some of the women appear to be topless) and then dove into a freezing lake. Later we see Aron and one of the girls lying together, both apparently naked underneath some blankets. She runs her fingers over Aron's chest and asks him what's the key to letting her in. Then she reaches down, under the blanket and past Aron's waist, and exclaims that she just found it. 5.5 out of 10. Violent/Gory Content: It's been reported that Aron's amputation sequence has made moviegoers faint or vomit. It's a three-minute montage, and it is indeed brutal. Aron breaks both bones in his forearm, then gets at gouging through the skin and muscle surrounding them with a painfully dull blade. It's bloody, gory work. We see his face and hands streaked with blood, and watch as he cuts through a spaghetti-like bit of nerve running through the core of his arm. Because the film is so tightly focused on just this one man and his arm, you find that you become extremely empathetic to the horror Aron is going through. You feel his pain—almost literally—far more than you do while watching a run-of-the-mill horror flick. But for all its brutality, those three minutes of screen time pale in comparison to the hour Aron spent actually performing this life-or-death surgery. A few other scenes to note: When the boulder first crashes down on Aron's arm, we don't see the impact, exactly, but we do see a smear of blood against the wall and notice his thumb grotesquely sticking out of the paper-thin space between rock and wall (The thumb later turns a sickly gray). When Aron decides to cut off his arm, he finds that his knife blade—which he's been using to chip away at the rock—is so dull it won't penetrate his skin. So his first amputation attempt results in only a handful of pinkish-red scratches. He resorts to using the "weapon" as a blunt dagger, stabbing it down hard into his flesh. Dark blood wells from the wound, and the camera takes us underneath the skin, too, showing the knife touch bone. In a bit of foreshadowing, Aron takes a tumble on his mountain bike—an accident that might've given other riders a bit of pause, but Aron simply smiles and takes a picture of himself lying in the dirt. 6.9 out of 10. Profanity: Around 17 "f" words (including 1 in a song) and 5 "s" words. We also hear at least 2 uses of "piss," 2 "hells," 1 "crap" and 1 "damn." Religious exclamations include at least: 2 uses of "Oh, my God" and 1 use each of "Jesus," "God" and "Swear to God." 6.3 out of 10. Substance Use: Aron's refrigerator is stocked with beer, and he drinks wine and beer in both flashbacks and feverish fantasy. Girls invite him to stop by a party to have a beer. 5.9 out of 10. Conclusion: "127 Hours" is one of Danny Boyle's masterpieces. It's an accurate depiction of what hiker Aron Ralston had to go through. It has fantastic performances and a mostly decent script. If you have the stomach for the gore, you won't go wrong with this film. This film rates as a 7.3 out of 10.
Parent of a 15 and 17 year old Written byJohn Lang August 6, 2014

Deeply moving and inspiring

Really just one terrible scene that I could not watch. Other than that a deeply moving and inspirational movie. Children will be upset after this movie - no doubt. It is a dark movie.
Adult Written byMovieCertificate November 2, 2011

R-14

Nominated for Best Picture. Rated R for the amputation scene. Adult Themes, Graphic Violence, Blood, Language.
Adult Written byJsca August 20, 2011

Two thumbs up

Well-done!
Adult Written byjj_1212 June 13, 2011

Great Movie If You're Up For It

To be quite honest, the age level completely depends on the level of exposure for a kid. If you've been watching gruesome movies since you were a young kid, then you could probably handle this. But if you were the kind of kid whose parents only let you watch PG movies, be cautioned - the amputation scene is something that you may want to cover your eyes for. Of course, seeing as though that part was probably the main highlight, and if you're in a theater watching it, there's no viable way of avoiding the scene without leaving the theater momentarily (there are shrieks and screams in the background, so even if you cover your ears and eyes, you'll "experience" some of that pain). At any rate, Danny Boyle is awesome, so this movie's imagery was breathtaking, despite the gore. James Franco is a superb actor (and come on, I mean, look at him; how could you refuse to watch a movie with him in it?). All in all, it's an amazing movie worth watching if you're ready for it. Yeah, spend the money on the DVD or rental. However, it's not the kind of movie you want to watch right before going to sleep.
Parent Written bybubbmaster March 11, 2011

15 and up if you can handle graphic content

this Movie was brilliant my son had to leave the theater when the amputation of his arm scene happened he was freaked out and i walked in his room and hes was acting out the amputation. anyway it was a great movie good inspiration.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byvmaekegvjs.fknmsel February 26, 2011

not 4 kids or teens

too violat
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byJorgito February 14, 2011

Great performance by Franco, this is an exteme movie. Made me turn my head of the screen in the gruesome parts. At one part, my 8 year old girl came to the room and started to watch the film, but my wife told her to go to her room. It was the right decision, not because of sex scenes, but for the violence inflicted by the character to himself.
Adult Written bydudeman123 February 11, 2011

One of the years best!

James Franco is simply incredible in this movie! Most of the entire film features just him. Usually a one character film gets boring at times but, not this one. Franco makes the movie feel so real. The movie makes you feel like you are right there. The scene where he amputates his arm is intense and unforgetable. It is a great story of how far someone would go to get back to the ones he loves. 127 hours is truly a triumph!
Adult Written bykhan2705 January 18, 2011

just brilliant.

4.5/5 A mountain climber becomes trapped under a boulder while canyoneering alone near Moab, Utah and resorts to desperate measures in order to survive. wow one of the very best movies of 2010, i mean fantastic, two thumbs way high up. Danny Bole rocks. amazing powerful and very inspiring movie. a great attempt, extra ordinary movie. the first trailer kind of really impressed me as ofcourse Danny didi with Slumdog Millionare and so yes now you see the awards attention and the buzz. superb movie. it was one of the most awaited movie for me. and it really impressed me, a very stylishly made movie, a different kind of attempt, i loved many scenes in it. the show stealer is the surprising James Franco, one of the best performances this year and he totally deserves all the award attention he got. a nerve racking completely believable great performances by him, he literary impressed me alot. absolutely wonderful to watch him play this character so accurately with honest dedication. there aren't any other main actors ofcourse. but anyways. excellent direction, very different and i would say some scenes are of artistic brilliance, he is amazing. excellent and superb work hats off. excellent editing, high class one. very engaging and extremely entertaining and thrilling screenplay. very good. amazing and very eye popping cinematography, some use of special effects too. excellent technical point of view. at first their was this thing in me, i thought it will be boring to see a guy trapped doing nothing but this movie pretty shocked me how entertaining and highly engaging this movie was. the flash back scenes were killer, loved them and that hand cutting scene was very disturbing. outstanding. Highly recommended.
Parent of a 4 and 10 year old Written byCensor-Bot January 8, 2011

Kids with a spine (like mine) will enjoy it.

Despite the dreaded arm scene this movie's very well made and gives a positive message to children
Adult Written bystwphd1992 December 30, 2010