All parent member reviews for 17 Again

Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written bypurljam7777 August 20, 2009

If your child is emotionally mature...see it...it's a hilarious movie!!

I, as a 43 year old, have to say that I absolutely loved this movie.....who knew that a movie starring Zac Efron could make me laugh so hard that I had to wipe tears from my eyes?! While I understand some of the parents' input here, I am completely offended by some comments basically stating that "I didn't let my son/daughter see this movie, because I love them"--that is so far overboard, it's ridiculous! My 12 year old daughter watched the movie with me, and while she is, and always has been mature for her age, I do have to say that there were a couple of times where I paused the movie because she had immediate questions. I was happy to explain them. Once the movie was over, I did make a point to take 10 minutes to discuss some positive points the movie brought up (ie, teenage sex leading to pregnancy and appreciation for parents). We also discussed alcohol/drug use, peer pressure, etc. I believe the bottom line is....if you think your child (whether they are 10 or 15) is emotionally mature and responsible to see this...then see it! It was seriously hilarious! However...DO take the time to either discuss things during the movie or afterwards.
Adult Written byshannonbrown May 9, 2009

Great movie but not for kids 11 and under

Teen Pregnency but otherwise a great movie!
Parent of a 9 and 13 year old Written bymoviemom44 April 16, 2009

Cute for 13 or older, and even then still worthy of some conversations regarding respecting women/self

The sexual references, while not frequent or terribly over the top, aren't appropriate for kids under 13. The cheerleaders were disappointing in that instead of them being highschool age girls doing highschool age routines, they were college age girls with overly sexualized routines. The three girls in the bowling alley asking to be objectified (literally) sexually were unecessary and better fair for raunch, adult-intended movies.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bydramaqueen@hotm... July 19, 2013

its not bad

good movie for kids lets say 10 and up that would be tweens. Sterling Knight is in the movie and he was cute and so was Zac Efron . nice movie mostly for tweens and teens.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written bymummabudda April 18, 2009

Disappointed by what could and should be a positive role model movie for kids...

I should have joined this site BEFORE I took 4 kids to see it! (ages 11 and 9) My 9 year old told me, "I think this is too old for us", after the word "bastard" was used and "I think our hands just made a baby". I think it got worse after that. (more swearing and lots of sexual inuendos) We left the theatre and got a refund.
Adult Written bygoodgirl June 28, 2015

good for kids 13 and up .

but I have to warn you even if its a good movie there are some sexual stuff like the health class scene and the boy kissing the mom but its got Sterling Knight who is cute so its good for kids 13 and up.
Parent Written byLucinaPshegubj January 4, 2013

The Best !

Seriously ! This movie is the best !! Zac Efron's acting is just perfect, the message is very positive, though it's sometimes awkward but, it makes you look at your life right now, what are you doing ? are you satisfied ? ,, do what you love, take the right decisions before it's too late !
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byKelly_P August 20, 2009

Okay for older kids

A few girls are portrayed as tramps who throw themselves at Zac Efron's character, Mark--including the girl who is his daughter (but she doesn't know that "Mark" is her dad as a 17 year old). Mark is a good role model who tries to talk them into respecting themselves and attempts to persuade kids to delay sex until they are older. He also defends kids who are bullied.
Parent of a 14 and 16 year old Written byrrks115 June 17, 2009
A lot of Innapropriate behavior, with innapropriate language,sexual content and more. it is more of an adult movie than a child movie.
Adult Written byloonymom47 May 3, 2009

Good Clean Fun? What??????????

I DIDN'T READ ENOUGH REVIEWS before going...what is "good clean family fun" to one party is vulgar to another, and I'm no prude. Let me also remind Mr. PG-13 on here that many PG-13s aren't nearly so vulgar and that's WHY we parents read reviews and trust people to be honest. I am so no other parent has to be embarrassed and cover their kids eyes...the girls in this movie were just trash. Efron makes some good moral points but discredits himself with very bad language. Deals with very mature issues that 15 yr olds and up (only if they are mature) should see, but the language was very vulgar and unnecessary. A shame, too, because I would have bought it on DVD. I will never understand why Hollywood limits its sales like that! I know kids hear all this stuff on the bus or at school but Hollywood shouldn't reinforce it and ruin what could have been a good movie. One family will small kids got up and left...I applaud them. At least their kids will still respect their principal in school. Crazy Ned makes it worth adults viewing, though! He was the star of the movie for me!!! Without him, I'd have left early. Now, Beam me up, Scotty. There's got to be a saner planet out there somewhere!
Parent of a 10 and 17 year old Written byjmfturne April 25, 2009
I was very dissapointed. I went to see it with my 11 year old son. It was totally rotten. No action, too much about sex etc, I was horrified.
Parent Written byMrsKent April 19, 2009
ITS REALLY GOOD! but there are parts that might make you cringe in your seat....like when Zac Efron is attracted to his wife....a much older woman.....oer when his own daughter is attracted to him, and starts trying to sweet talk him in a dark room....yeah those parts might make you feel uncomfortable for the character....but overall, its a sweet feel goo movie, that you'll definetly want to see. Yes, Zac Efron did such a fantastic job, i actually felt the chemistry between him and his 'wife'.
Parent of a 7, 10, and 15 year old Written byNewsieMom October 7, 2010

Perfect for my high school daughter - not the younger kids

Efron is a good role model in this one - from marrying the girl he got pregnant (objection to that in the first place is appropriate) to the advice to his teenaged kids and friends after getting his chance to go back. Language and such could have been left out, but that's Hollywood these days.
Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written byclayk July 14, 2010

Heed the 13 in PG13

Sexual matter a little much for teh Disney Channel crowd and really unnecessary to the story.
Adult Written bygabbygirlcuccaro July 1, 2010

Just an ok kind of movie

The movie was a little boring. I watched it a few weeks ago and i already forget what happened. The movie was ok.
Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe May 26, 2010

Zac Attack.

Zac Efron. Those two words ensure that anyone between the ages of 12 and 18 have seen this movie! He is so adorable! Haha. In the movie I think the acting is fine, not the greatest, but it's a teen flick. There is some adult humor, 'you can plunder my dungeon anytime' and kids may or may not pick up on that. There's a party where drinking and other teenage activities ensue, so view the movie before you let your teen watch it; just to see for yourself.
Adult Written by4Spice October 22, 2009

good funny movie 11 over

very funny good for family 11 and over
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written bymum2two September 2, 2009

Not a movie for tweens, very entertaining though

Okay, I did enjoy this movie (I'm 43) but took my 11 year old to see it and was horrified. Generally we don't do Pg13, so perhaps I should have done some research beforehand, but it definitely wasn't appropriate for a 5th grader. She and most of her peers have just learned the facts of life, and what a condom is. To have the health teacher handing them out in class by the handful in the movie (?!) was not something I expected. The movie begins with Zac's character (a high school kid) learning his his girlfriend is pregnant. Obviously in the next few years all of these ideas will be thrown at her when she gets to middle school, but I'd like to keep the child in her while I can. The positive messages were there, and I don't have an older child so I'm not really sure what age this WOULD be appropriate for but probably 13 or 14 at the least. At the very least if you see it with a younger child ... have your remote control ready to pause and talk about some of the issues about what your own values are. There are some really good talking points.
Adult Written byGotMilkChick August 27, 2009

Oh Just Go See It Already...

It's cute. Pretty tame compared to what actually goes on in most high schools. This movie actually made me like Zac Efron.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bycrystalp August 21, 2009

Very funny for adults!

I wouldn't let my teenager see this movie, but as an adult, if you can get past the bizarre writing, it is a very funny movie. I don't remember the last time I laughed so hard in a movie! I thought the lessons learned at the end of the movie were wonderful. Great show!