All parent member reviews for 1776

Parent Written bynoteteacher September 25, 2011

1776 Entertains and Educates

This musical is a great way to teach about the history of the signing of the Declaration of Independence as well as culture of the time period.
Parent Written byosu_dad October 4, 2014

Can get a bit baudy...

The story is a bit wordy and slow moving, so younger kids may not follow the story well. There's not a lot of action per se, but it is very interesting to watch the history play out. The musical numbers can be a bit over-the-top funny (not necessarily meaning to be). But all in all it was enjoyable. One thing to watch out for is that there is a bit of implied adult behavior and language. Several references are made to congressmen who need to leave town to see their wives with a nudge nudge, which builds into Jefferson's wife coming to town and Adams and Franklin being shooed out of a room. Neither is overtly offensive. There is a discussion in a report from George Washington about "whoring" and soldiers contracting "the French disease." We rented and showed to our younger child after reading reviews on this site; nobody had mentioned this. Parents may want to be prepared for possible conversations about adult topics that might arise.
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

Patriotic!

Very stirring and patriotic. Too much langauge from Ben Franklin, though, to make this for little kids.
Adult Written byyoyoyo212 April 9, 2008

Excellent for teens

Adult Written bymkwcpsi April 9, 2008

Twice in 36 years

Justed watched the film for a second time recently. Saw it the first time in a theater in 1972 with my 2nd grade class. I watched it again to see if it was as cheesy and the language as gratuitous as I had remembered. It was!! You know, don't watch this crap with your kids. I am far from prudish, but, I still remember (36 years later) only remembering the foulness and trivialization of men, who in reality, risked their lives for principles that ultimately made this writer, and reader I might add, FREE. Watch HBO's mini-series "John Adams" with your kids if you want to see this subject matter done well.
Adult Written byrainsayre April 9, 2008

Great Movie, But...

First of all, I LOVE this movie. It's great fun, great songs, and it covers a lot of the history very accurately. But when I sat down to watch it with my kids, after having not seen it in years, I was surprised that I didn't remember how much language there is in it. By today's standards it's pretty mild, but there's an awful lot of using the Lord's name in vain, if that bothers you. I don't want my children to start saying things like, "what in the name of God?!", or "for God's sake!" But if that doesn't bother you, enjoy a great, fun, entertaining, educational movie
Adult Written bycole thornton April 9, 2008

Education and fun also

Excellant film of the Continental congress and the fight to get the independence approved and the Declaration of independence passed. A very accurate reproduction of this time in our history and made fun with the music. Fifth graders and above will find it helps with their American history by giving them some in site to the founding fathers. And be entertained at the same time.
Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe May 26, 2010
I want to see this movie so, so bad! But everywhere I go is always sold out :(