Kid reviews for 50/50

50/50 Poster Image

50/50 Is An Instant Classic

Balances the right amount of comedy and drama. The characters are superbly acted and the script is written beautifully. There is some explicit language regarding sex but is completely skipable.

Dramedy movie about cancer

Very good dramedy about a cancer patient

My Review:

I recommend this movie for 15+ year olds because, in the movie they have a lot of weed in it, and some sex scenes. Anna Kendrick plays on this movie, which is cool. It's more of a drama than a comedy, though, however, there are some funny parts in this movie.

Who knew a film about a man with cancer could be so funny

This movie is both funny and sad and it balances both perfectly. Teens will like this and there's not much parents should be concerned about other than some strong language and sex references.

A brilliant and touching film, but probably not suitable for younger teens.

50/50 definitely made me cry, but although it was an emotional rollercoaster filled with hilarious turning points and likeable characters, there are a few elements that make it a leeetle more aimed at older teens and above. I wasn't prepared for the frequent mention and use of drugs (mostly marijuana) that was almost portrayed as a normality in this movie. There was also constant swearing, and a lot of talk of sex and one graphic scene with a glimpse of nudity. The main character is obviously likeable and makes you sympathise with his distressing situation of hopelessness. Seth Rogen's character (the main character's best friend) is mostly likeable, but at some times is portrayed as a little on the dodgy side of things. The film also revolves around cancer, so there are of course going to be some overwhelming concepts. I'm going to say that anyone over 14 who is mature enough to handle the content could definitely get something out of this movie, but mostly teens over 15 should be watching it. Hope you like it as much as I did :)

50/50

The performances in this movie are brilliant and the script is just perfect! Lots of swearing; lots of sex references including a short scene that's pretty racy; weed taking; and it's emotionally intense. But, ironically considering that it's a film about cancer, it's very funny and deals with its subject excellently! Teens will get an awful lot out of this movie!

Expressed the "real life" that many movies lack

Perhaps it was the directing, perhaps it was the outstanding acting. Whatever it was, it really managed to capture what so many illness movies cannot: that life keeps moving, and as you near closer to the end (whether it's to death or recovery), it doesn't get more beautiful. For once, we see that just because you have an illness doesn't mean that an overbearing mother, a self-centered girlfriend, and a long-time best friend who can't take things seriously all change. I like that Joseph Gordon-Levitt was able to so clearly betray the proper emotions that go through the head of someone with an actual illness. I like that Anna Kendrick was able to show that not everyone can be the best, but sometimes it's the most inexperienced people who can hep the most. I like that Anjelica Huston was able to show that having someone in the family with an illness, much less two people, really takes its toll on family relationships. A few scenes of drug (medicinal and recreational) use, a few scenes of alcohol consumption, one scene of partial nudity, and a lot of swearing. All in all, I think kids thirteen and over can handle that, but to really grasp the meaning of the story, you have to be a bit older.

50/50

This movie is great but it does have a lot is Language including strong sexual innuendo

Great Movie!

Great movie, but so may be turned off to it by it's frequent language. It features uses of the word "F***" and sometimes it's used sexually, and as well as sexual language there are also crude references that are made ever now and then. There is a sex scene in which a girl is shown on top of a man and her bare back is scene as she thrusts, but are interrupted from him in pain. There is no real nudity in this scene or movie. Since the main character is suffering from cancer he smokes weed, but sometimes his friend does too. Not for too young of kids.

Made me laugh and cry

This is hilarious, but feels tragic. At lease Seth Rogen's character is obliged to help out a friend recover from his cancer issues. If this is based on a true story, why make this into a comedy instead of a drama?