All parent member reviews for 9

Adult Written byMovie Man September 16, 2009

Visually Dominant, but Ultimately Confusing.

This is a good film. Good visuals, good action... but that's it. The most dangerous problem here is the plot holes. You could literally fall into the plot holes becuase they're so big. That's all I have to say about this short, poorly-written film. Thanks for reading. -Movie Man
Educator Written byMychemicalstinkpants January 23, 2011

depressing but great movie about the end is powerful

i love this movie it is great but some intense imagrey
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byDadofTwoGreatKiddos January 17, 2010

Definitely not for kids.

This is WAY too dark for children 9 and younger. The premise here is that humans have all been killed in this dystopic vision of the future where killer machines have taken over. There is an oppressive sense of doom and fear throughout the movie and in my mind it would leave lasting psychological scars on elementary school children. Just because kids see violence and scary stuff all too often in today's culture is no reason to fill their heads with a vision that is difficult for them to mentally bear. I will not let my 7 and 9 year old see this until they're 12 or older. That being said, I completely enjoyed it as an adult and was amazed at how much humanity the animators were able to create in the rag dolls. I highly recommend seeing this yourself first before taking your children.
Adult Written byFreedomFromCens... September 13, 2009

Short, but enjoyable and breathtakingly offbeat.

I give this movie props in the first place for just showing us that animated 3d movies don't all have to be about cute characters dancing around in happy situations. This movie's dark, gritty, and solemn tone is refreshing to see, and yet it is still appropriate for most preteens. However, being a dark movie, it's ending is not exactly the happiest, and some younger preteens might be confused by its complex post-apocalyptic setting. Action is bloodless, but the few corpse shown have a creepy realistic look to them, and some of the robots have frightening shrieks and looks as well. The worst the violence gets to is a man being gunned down by a machine gun, but you only see the body fall to the ground. Most characters still manage to have a little cute quality to them, and are lovable throughout the short movie. However, remember this is not a "happy" film, you will probably enjoy it, but the ending might just leave you with tears if your a sensitive type. All in all, I absolutely loved it. Not perfect, as the plot feels a bit rushed, but good enough to be one of my favorites. A must for those 11 and up who want some action in an animated movie.
Parent Written bydanharvell March 24, 2013

Animated Thriller Satisfies, May Be Too Much For the Younger Set

A delightfully dark animated tale is a wild ride. This film, based in a dystopian future where the only life remaining on Earth appear to be a group of sock puppets and evil machines may be too intense and confusing for young viewers, but tweens and adults, alike, will enjoy a production that is Tim Burton, at his best. With violence and peril being the only content to worry about (no sexual content, drinking or drugs, consumerism, or language), even my 9-year-old considers this a favorite of hers. While my 9-year-old finds the peril, in this film, exciting, more sensitive younguns may find it frightening, so proceed based on what your children are able to handle. Over all, "9" is high on brilliantly written plot, richly written characters, and enough action to even keep adults on the edge of their seats, while remaining low on the sexual content, language, and drugs/alcohol content that mire so many of today's blockbuster films. Highly recommended to those who enjoy a good thrill!
Parent Written byJanbear February 22, 2013

Not suitable for young children

My little boy, who is 6, was shown this film at a friends ( without my permission) along with her 6 year old and 8 year old. I had not seen it myself but got concerned when he was too scared to go to sleep that night and when he described it to me I decided to google it. I was horrified when I read about it and even more horrified when I read the reviews on here. It obviously not suitable for young children - why do some parents not think about this when they have other children round??? I would not dream of watching anything like this with a 6 year old! It may be a good film for older children but certainly far too scary for little ones.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 22, 2012

Wow,this movie is great.

9 is a cool movie,and nothing is wrong with it!
Adult Written byJEDI micah September 4, 2012

A very FRIGHTENING and EXCITING movie about the future!!!

There are many reasons why you should see this movie! First off, the animation is absolutely well-designed and looks real. Second, the deadly machines look, well, DEADLY! Third, there is no sexual content what so ever! And fourth, the main character, 9, sets a good role model when it comes to saving your friend's life! This is a great movie for teenagers who are into sci-fi or fantasy, like me! But I will warn you: THIS MOVIE IS VERY FRIGHTENING! As mentioned before, the robotic machines look very scary and they try to attack the rag dolls. If you can handle scary, then this will not be a problem!
Parent of a 11 and 11 year old Written byasimpson@hsc.ut... January 8, 2012

Loved this movie!

Adult Written byYumyumitsmrkakapipi November 16, 2011

People are dumb people are dumb times enfinity

Cool and amazing but violent for only 8 and up any 12 are you crazy for soul taking on little dolls totally sutabel for 8 and up
Parent of a 11 year old Written byconnie49 April 4, 2011

great for older kids and up.

I would say this is Off for ages 7 and below, IFFY for ages 8 and ON for ages 9 and up.Good movie.The role models and positive messages are good, For example, 9 has a selfless and brave attitude.There are however, scary moments and images that I would not recommend for 7 or below. for example, The are scenes where the machine sucks souls. And all kinds of different robots attack, All of which I think would be to scary for 7ish and below. its not really as bad as PG-13 though.If there was a rating between PG and PG-13, This would be right split there. Really good movie though!
Parent of a 11 year old Written bygamereviewer6469 March 20, 2011

Tweens and up!

Intense Violence throughout the movie but nothing else thats a problem. So if your 11 year old isnt affected by violence its on, but if he gets nightmares from Tim Burton movies, its off, and like most Tim Burton movies, a very negative message.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byMontysMom May 28, 2010

Perfect for my son, 11 and I enjoyed it too....

Really enjoyed it and my son picked it and loved it. I give it a B+. Yes, it's visually dark and somewhat scary most of the time, but the characters are richly portrayed and the message and role models are positive ones. Plus it's Tim Burton's visual influences which are great!
Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe May 26, 2010

This movie is an amazing work of art! It's so visually stunning, and...ah, there are almost no words! The story is good too. It may be a little scary for the young ones because it is kind of dark but teens and adults can both watch and hopefully appreciate!
Educator and Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written byconnielove93 January 30, 2010

Adult Written byDr.Pepper January 22, 2010

This movie has many intense/frightening scenes. I would not recommend this movie for younger children. However, there is nothing wrong with the movie besides that.
Parent of a 1, 4, 6, and 9 year old Written byNot the Partrid... January 22, 2010

Typical Tim Burton movie, except this time it's directed at our kids. So unless you want your child to grow up knowing or wanting to know dark things.... stir clear of Tim Burton movies. - A Christian point of view.
Parent of a 15 year old Written bySgtPrinny January 3, 2010

Some violence. It's good, but it's probably too violent for young kids.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bygoodgirladvice December 24, 2009

good role modles but to scary for 8 year olds and down

love it this is a great movie and they have good role models in it like 9 and his gang are determiend to save humanity and the world and are very brave but i say to scary for 8 year olds and down cuz theres seens where when you at lest know a scary thing comes out and when the ragdolls soul is coming out the face was really scary but thats all i got hope this helps
Adult Written bygamenerd323 October 14, 2009

A good movie for 10+, it' not actually that bad.

I thought the movie was very good, some scary and intense scenes/images came up but nothing too bad.