All parent member reviews for 9

Adult Written byMovie Man September 16, 2009

Visually Dominant, but Ultimately Confusing.

This is a good film. Good visuals, good action... but that's it. The most dangerous problem here is the plot holes. You could literally fall into the plot holes becuase they're so big. That's all I have to say about this short, poorly-written film. Thanks for reading. -Movie Man
Adult Written bybeph September 16, 2009

lame and pointless. advertising is smoke and mirrors

this movie was incredibly lame and poorly written. i would have enjoyed it more if they had spent as much time writing the script as they did with all the tiny visual details. the machines were scary and creative but inapropriate for a younger audience which, if you're going to make an animated movie, children will naturally be drawn. (no pun intended) pointless and shabby. younger teens who are just looking for a visually pleasing film might like it, but if you enjoy a meaty film with a plot and ending that actually goes somewhere, take a pass. REMEMBER: tim burton did not direct this film, he produced it with three other people. the fact that they advertise it with his name all over it is unbelievably misleading.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bytortimom September 13, 2009

Creative, violent, an entertaining 90 minutes.

It is very creative and has interesting characters that have a heart. It is a mixture of machines and animals and uniquely combines antiques with futuristic concepts. It will appeal to adults and pre-teens. However, the plot was a bit lacking - it is all machines against creatures, violent from start to finish. My 12 year old son understood the plot better than I did.
Educator Written byMychemicalstinkpants January 23, 2011

depressing but great movie about the end is powerful

i love this movie it is great but some intense imagrey
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byDadofTwoGreatKiddos January 17, 2010

Definitely not for kids.

This is WAY too dark for children 9 and younger. The premise here is that humans have all been killed in this dystopic vision of the future where killer machines have taken over. There is an oppressive sense of doom and fear throughout the movie and in my mind it would leave lasting psychological scars on elementary school children. Just because kids see violence and scary stuff all too often in today's culture is no reason to fill their heads with a vision that is difficult for them to mentally bear. I will not let my 7 and 9 year old see this until they're 12 or older. That being said, I completely enjoyed it as an adult and was amazed at how much humanity the animators were able to create in the rag dolls. I highly recommend seeing this yourself first before taking your children.
Parent of a 15 and 16 year old Written bySeanachai September 11, 2009

Heroic characters in a post-human world

Apparently human ambition and a power-hungry military will lead to doomsday technology that can and does destroy all life. All except for the ragdolls created by one now-deceased scientist to preserve the human spirit. The situation is more than grim; it is nightmarish. We "awake" with 9 to a world littered with dead humans still covered with flesh (so the holocaust isn't long past). We learn with 9 that the only "beings" in this world are ragdolls, robots and other creations of technology. The message seems to be both a warning of apocalyptic horrors awaiting us and a celebration of the triumph of the human spirit (unfortunately with the actual human). I admired the heroic ragdolls who embodied much of what's best about humanity. They forgave one another's mistakes and shortcomings, tolerated differences, repaired one another's injuries, saved one another from destruction, and, in the end, sacrificed so that other's could live. Adorable heroes, horrible villains (the machines), nearly non-stop violence and bloodless death on a bleak landscape of urban ruin. And, in the end, we're left in a ragdoll world without hope of any real life. Bit of a downer.
Adult Written byFreedomFromCens... September 13, 2009

Short, but enjoyable and breathtakingly offbeat.

I give this movie props in the first place for just showing us that animated 3d movies don't all have to be about cute characters dancing around in happy situations. This movie's dark, gritty, and solemn tone is refreshing to see, and yet it is still appropriate for most preteens. However, being a dark movie, it's ending is not exactly the happiest, and some younger preteens might be confused by its complex post-apocalyptic setting. Action is bloodless, but the few corpse shown have a creepy realistic look to them, and some of the robots have frightening shrieks and looks as well. The worst the violence gets to is a man being gunned down by a machine gun, but you only see the body fall to the ground. Most characters still manage to have a little cute quality to them, and are lovable throughout the short movie. However, remember this is not a "happy" film, you will probably enjoy it, but the ending might just leave you with tears if your a sensitive type. All in all, I absolutely loved it. Not perfect, as the plot feels a bit rushed, but good enough to be one of my favorites. A must for those 11 and up who want some action in an animated movie.
Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe May 26, 2010

This movie is an amazing work of art! It's so visually stunning, and...ah, there are almost no words! The story is good too. It may be a little scary for the young ones because it is kind of dark but teens and adults can both watch and hopefully appreciate!
Parent of a 11 year old Written byconnie49 April 4, 2011

great for older kids and up.

I would say this is Off for ages 7 and below, IFFY for ages 8 and ON for ages 9 and up.Good movie.The role models and positive messages are good, For example, 9 has a selfless and brave attitude.There are however, scary moments and images that I would not recommend for 7 or below. for example, The are scenes where the machine sucks souls. And all kinds of different robots attack, All of which I think would be to scary for 7ish and below. its not really as bad as PG-13 though.If there was a rating between PG and PG-13, This would be right split there. Really good movie though!
Parent of a 11 year old Written bygamereviewer6469 March 20, 2011

Tweens and up!

Intense Violence throughout the movie but nothing else thats a problem. So if your 11 year old isnt affected by violence its on, but if he gets nightmares from Tim Burton movies, its off, and like most Tim Burton movies, a very negative message.
Adult Written byashadoodle September 19, 2009

Great for even young teens.

This is a wonderful movie which follows the tale of a character called 9. He wakes up to find a bleak world full of death, finding comfort in others like himself. They work together to try to save themselves from the evil of the world. Characters are resourceful and care for one another. There are some scary characters and death throughout, but for even young teens that aren't easily scared, The story is a little weak, I'll admit, but it was very visually pleasing.
Parent of a 9 and 15 year old Written bychainsaw129391 September 14, 2009

15 and up only!

I loved the movie myself. It is in no way appropriate for children under the age of 15. I love scary films and this is almost that.
Adult Written byDr.Pepper January 22, 2010

This movie has many intense/frightening scenes. I would not recommend this movie for younger children. However, there is nothing wrong with the movie besides that.
Parent of a 1, 4, 6, and 9 year old Written byNot the Partrid... January 22, 2010

Typical Tim Burton movie, except this time it's directed at our kids. So unless you want your child to grow up knowing or wanting to know dark things.... stir clear of Tim Burton movies. - A Christian point of view.
Parent of a 15 year old Written bySgtPrinny January 3, 2010

Some violence. It's good, but it's probably too violent for young kids.
Educator and Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written byconnielove93 January 30, 2010

Parent of a 12 and 15 year old Written bycwrams September 12, 2009

Ok for tweens!

This was an enjoyable movie. Not one you or the kids will see again and again, but the story line is good and the characters are interesting. The ending could be stronger and they could have explored some of the other characters more deeply (like "2" is actually more interesting that "9"). There are a few scenes that show the death of the humans, but the images are not show any blood or gore and are almost a bit comic book since this is computer animated. I recommend it for 10 years and older.
Parent Written bydanharvell March 24, 2013

Animated Thriller Satisfies, May Be Too Much For the Younger Set

A delightfully dark animated tale is a wild ride. This film, based in a dystopian future where the only life remaining on Earth appear to be a group of sock puppets and evil machines may be too intense and confusing for young viewers, but tweens and adults, alike, will enjoy a production that is Tim Burton, at his best. With violence and peril being the only content to worry about (no sexual content, drinking or drugs, consumerism, or language), even my 9-year-old considers this a favorite of hers. While my 9-year-old finds the peril, in this film, exciting, more sensitive younguns may find it frightening, so proceed based on what your children are able to handle. Over all, "9" is high on brilliantly written plot, richly written characters, and enough action to even keep adults on the edge of their seats, while remaining low on the sexual content, language, and drugs/alcohol content that mire so many of today's blockbuster films. Highly recommended to those who enjoy a good thrill!
Adult Written byYumyumitsmrkakapipi November 16, 2011

People are dumb people are dumb times enfinity

Cool and amazing but violent for only 8 and up any 12 are you crazy for soul taking on little dolls totally sutabel for 8 and up
Parent of a 11 year old Written byMontysMom May 28, 2010

Perfect for my son, 11 and I enjoyed it too....

Really enjoyed it and my son picked it and loved it. I give it a B+. Yes, it's visually dark and somewhat scary most of the time, but the characters are richly portrayed and the message and role models are positive ones. Plus it's Tim Burton's visual influences which are great!