Find the best for your family

See what's streaming, limit strong violence or language, and find picks your kids will love with Common Sense Media Plus.

Join now

Parent reviews for A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Biopic captures Rogers' generous spirit, empathy, kindness.

Adult Written bythe.musical.lover November 24, 2019

Beautiful, INTENSE, Bittersweet *All spoilers listed in order for families to decide if their child is ready*

I have never had an experience quite like the one that I had while seeing this movie. I will be going back to see it again. It certainly tugs at all your heartstrings. I am a sensitive college student who gets scared easily and some parts of this movie did bother me and will stick with me due to their emotional power, however, mature teenagers will be fine with it. NOT a kids movie! Intended for an older audience. Below I will list some spoilers to help families decide if their child is ready because I do think it's a wonderful film, not to be missed by older audiences. The spoilers are meant solely for the purpose of letting families decide what their children can handle. Every child is different (as Mr. Rogers teaches)!

*SPOILERS*

1. Mr. Rogers opens several "doors" on a posterboard with pictures of his friends behind each one. Behind one door is a picture of a shocked man (Lloyd) with a cut on his face, we can see some red. It's played for laughs but might be upsetting to some since we think it's going to be a pleasant picture.
2. Lloyd's sister gets married and some divorce jokes are made; she gets married once a year, etc.
3. There is a sudden moment at the wedding where Lloyd lashes out at his father; a few punches exchanged, and we find out this is how he got his cut. The cut heals throughout the rest of the movie but many characters comment on it. He lies to save face when people ask how he got it.
4. A few profanity words.
5. Lloyd and his wife talk in bed; all clothes on but she rubs his chest. In other scenes, we see him shirtless but nothing promiscuous, he's just talking to Mr. Rogers on the phone while he is in his bed.
6. Lloyd cannot control his anger, and is short with Mr. Rogers, even telling him to "put that stupid puppet away," etc. Think Scrooge. He is also harsh with his wife and especially with his father, ignoring him and lashing out at him.
7. Beloved puppets from "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood" are shown with Mr. Rogers himself operating them. Kids might be disturbed to see that the puppets are not real; again, this is NOT a movie for young kids. Cool for teens and up because you get to see behind the scenes.
8. The most disturbing scene is when Lloyd yells at his dad. His dad left him, his sister, and his mother, cheating with another woman. We learn Lloyd's mother died of an illness, with the protagonist yelling at his father that "death is never quiet." We learn "she left the world screaming, then she went into a coma, then she woke up screaming again." Just paraphrasing but can be upsetting even for adults, as he yells all of this to his father. His father collapses, crying, but then he becomes unconscious. Suspenseful music plays as someone calls 911. Very prolonged scene; we feel the protagonist's helplessness. The father is taken to the hospital; we see the protagonist get close to a breakdown in the hospital because "he hates hospitals." He then ends up fighting with his wife and leaving her to care for his father.
9. The protagonist leaves the hospital, going onto the set of Mr. Roger's show where it turns out Mr. Rogers is filming an episode about hospitals, starring Lloyd. Lloyd faints on set, and there is a dream sequence and in-between dreams, we see a worried Lloyd saying "I hate hospitals." In one dream, we see Lloyd sitting with his mother, who is in a hospital bed hooked up to an IV. She talks with him and we see his reactions, then it goes back and we see the bed is empty. Very sad, tender moment, but this is when he changes for the better.
10. Lloyd's father ends up in a hospice situation; we see Lloyd caring for him. They drink alcohol in a touching scene. Near the end of the movie, we see Lloyd and his family mourning at a grave and we know the dad has passed away.

Adult Written byrickyd2b November 29, 2019

Great movie for grown ups

I hope that Tom Hanks gets the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor, but understand that this is a supporting role. Mr. Rogers is not the main character in this movie. The movie is about a magazine writer from a dysfunctional family. Mr. Rogers plays a pivotal role, but the story is not about him.

The movie has a very positive message about forgiveness, but there is a long, dark walk on the way there. Children will be alternately bored or disturbed. There are incidents of violence, alcohol abuse, and bad language. There are mentions of child abandonment, adultery, and the description of a woman screaming on her death bed.

I am very glad I saw this movie. I am very sorry that I took my children.
Adult Written byTeenBoyzDad November 22, 2019

Incredible, but boring for kids

This is NOT a movie version of a Mister Rogers show. Rather, it applies Mr. Rogers to an adult scenario. Nothing inappropriate, but the kids in the theater were bored and running back and forth to the snackbar. I was just a bit too old for Mr. Rogers ( never even heard of him until I was 25!) but this movie made me wish I'd had this show to watch in my own childhood. Very powerful messages about love, compassion and forgiveness. Tom Hanks is awesome as Fred Rogers; I think this has "Oscar" written all over it. Highly recommended!

Adult Written byHolly R. November 27, 2019

Wonderful movie but is for children who actually have an attention span

I agree with reviewers that very small children will probably be bored. I would say if they have the maturity and focus you could enjoy it as young as 8 years old if they are mature enough to sit down and follow the film as it is slow paced. It's better than Frozen 2 for the Thanksgiving holiday movie. I enjoyed it very much.

Adult Written byBoru1953 December 6, 2019

A Film We ALL Need!

This is not just a heart-warming movie about a wonderful, caring individual. It is a film about humanity and our need to understand and care for one another. Fred Rogers did just that and Tom Hanks portrayal of him is nothing short of Perfection! Do Not hesitate to see this movie! It will make you a Better human being!

Parent of a 5 and 10 year old Written bysilwuttke December 2, 2019

rogers

OK MOVIE but includes sadness like dieing, sickness, divorce and serious and sad arguments with father and son about son's mom dieing also a couple of punches blown between father and son, this movie includes lots of drinking father getting drunk many times, there are various topics about whore, divorce, suicide etc, there is also some language like h*ll used multiple times, da*n it, freakin, holy crap, jerk and many others, there is also some kissing between husband and wife but this movie includes positive messages and role models throughout.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byreadersunite November 30, 2019
Adult Written byAMM1126 November 30, 2019

Great movie but not for kids

I blew it and did not research this before taking my 10 yo son. It is not a recreation of a childhood TV show,; rather, it is a powerful story about dealing with strong emotions, working through a very challenging childhood, and, ultimately, forgiveness. My son who has emotional challenges became very distressed and was unable to tolerate it so we left. I hope to go back to see the remainder, but I wish I had done my homework. And, Tom Hanks is at his best!

Parent of a 6 year old Written byhallhaus November 29, 2019

Bring kids and tissues

Tom Hanks is a perfect Mr. Rogers and Matthew Rhys’s begrudged journalist makes a good story set up for kids and adults alike. There is brief violence at the beginning that’s crucial to the story line, but not graphic or drawn out longer than needed. My 7-year-old followed along and enjoyed the movie and music. Nothing but family-friendly entertainment in a film about Mr. Rogers, rest easy.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byerderkin November 28, 2019

Really good movie but a few inappropriate things

I loved this movie a lot but there is mild language and one punch scene and a little bit of drinking but it’s very good overall. I don’t think younger kids find it very entertaining but it is a very well written movie. I’m a nine year old and I thought it was very good and think 9 or 10 year olds and up would like it.

Adult Written byMgrifodolan November 26, 2019
I took my kids who are 12 and 9. It was not a kids movie. I wanted to walk out. It was so boring!
Adult Written byJenn32 November 26, 2019

A great pubs kids show

This movie reminds me of my younger days when I would sit at our tv just to watch Mr. Rodgers neighborhood

Adult Written bySpencer H. November 24, 2019

Absolutely wonderful; with some mild language and mature themes

This is a truly wonderful movie and Tom Hanks did absolutely fantastic as Mr. Rogers. Be advised however this movie does deal with some mature issues such as infidelity, family dysfunction, and death, but then again Rogers' program also touched on those issues in real life. There is also some mild profanity, a couple hells and dans, here and there and brief violence at the beginning as a father and son get into a fistfight. Young children may be bored but this is a must for older children and any adult who grew up watching Mr. Rogers. I think Common Sense review of 10 and up is spot on. This is a wonderful film that touches on some real life subjects, that younger kids will not understand but for adults and older kids this really delivers the goods. Hanks again gives a truly fantastic performance and Fred Rogers is in Heaven proud of all of the work that went into this film.

Adult Written byDrager98 November 23, 2019

Nostalgic and sweet but not really about Mr Rogers

First thing, this movie is about the magazine writer Lloyd who gets assigned to write a story about Mr Rogers. We do learn about Mr Rogers and Hanks is amazing in the role but the story is really about Lloyd’s family. He’s predictably angry and bitter and his relationship with Me Rogers helps him like he’s in therapy. It’s slow at times. Sometimes Lloyd is a complete jerk. There are a few magic moments like on the subway ( in all the commercials) but they’re few and far between. This is not a movie for kids, mostly because they will be bored, not because it’s particularly inappropriate. A little drinking, a couple swear words and an actual fist fight are all included.