Parent reviews for A Bug's Life

A Bug's Life Poster Image

Clean counterpart of Antz.

Look. This is a family film. You were wrong about one thing. The swear word “damn” is not included here. I read the caption on the film and it says “Dim”, which is the name of one of the bug characters. Watch the movie again and read the captions. You’ll find tons of swearing on Antz. Also, the violence is mild compared to Antz, which that movie has a scene that showed a severed ant head, and has no suggestive material also compared to Antz.
1 person found this helpful.

Not for very little kids, but fine for older kids.

The movie should not be rated G. There is a lot that’s not good for children under 7. But it is still a good movie. Language - 3/10 There is one scene where the queen says the word ‘suicide,’ but she said ‘Oh, because it’s suicide’ instead of ‘You want to commit suicide.’ She was referring to Flik’s idea of going to find help, but most ants are too paranoid to go. Also, some mild insults, like ‘stupid’, and ‘shut up’. Hopper says to his brother that he ‘wishes that he could kill him if he didn’t swear not to on his mother’s death bed.’ Sex - 0/10 Nothing really inappropriate. Only romance which isn’t even stated as romance. Drug/alcohol/smoking - 1/10 The characters go to a bar, when a mosquito says ‘Hey, give me a bloody mary, type O’ and the server gives him a drop of blood. This is supposed to be comedic. Violence - 8/10 This movie is surprisingly violent. The antagonist, Hopper, is almost sadistic. He borderline TORTURED a young ant by holding her up to a savage grasshopper against her will in front of the entire colony. Luckily, before she got hurt Flik stops him. He also killed three ants by crushing them with grain. He graphically beats up Flik, and almost kills him, but at the time of that scene, Hopper gets eaten by a bird. This movie is great, but don’t show it to kids under 7.

1 person found this helpful.

Don’t know how it got a G rating

This is actually the first time Common Sense has led me astray. We showed this to my just turned 5 yr old son based on this rating and he was pretty scared throughout the whole movie and continues to talk about how scary it was. The grasshoppers look, sound, and act vicious and cruel. It’s extremely violent. There are full on fist fighting, so much that the cartoon ant has a black eye and bruises. They torture ants while others look on. Hopper, the lead grasshopper threatens to kill his own brother, does kill another fellow grasshopper, threatens to kill the ants, including the very young/baby one. Spoiler: he then gets fed to baby birds in a graphic screaming/flailing way. It was disturbing on many levels even as an adult. I honestly don’t understand why these choices are made for young kids. The overall message could be good, don’t keep doing something because it’s always been done that way, embrace new ideas, celebrate your individualism, etc. but all that to us was overshadowed by the violence.

Violent

This is an adult movie masquerading as a kids' movie because it involves animated insects rather than live-action people. The main character gets violently beaten to the ground and is bruised and unable to get up, and then his head is about to get squashed, there's lots of talk about murdering the queen, the antagonist is slowing fed alive to baby birds, the antagonist murders one of his followers, the queen has a boy toy who is going to rub her down with lotion. It was just awful. My husband and I cringed at each other over our kids' heads.

1 person found this helpful.

This movie is NOT for children

I don’t understand how this movie is rated well for children. It’s so violent. The grasshopper bullies with a gang mentality. Beats down the ants physically, bad language, war-like scenes, uses of words and concepts like “stupid” and “suicide”. The entire basis is constant fear. Don’t give this one a second thought. It’s for much older children.

Relentlessly violent and disturbing

The characters in this movie are relentlessly violent and verbally abusive. It doesn't slow down as the movie goes on either. It just gets more and more violent the entire time. I would let a seven year old watch it once but definitely not a repeatable movie. I was very surprised it was rated G, that makes no sense.

What isn't OK

Too much blood... and it should've been rated R, not G. THERE EVEN IS WAY TOO MUCH PROFANITY. IT GAVE ME A TRAUMA!!! Also it is for mature audiences only. Too much drunk-driving. My 4-year old had nightmares about it......

Very child friendly

No one gets eaten alive, and I can say that with absolute certainty

a bug's life