All parent member reviews for A Christmas Carol (1984)

Parent of a 2, 5, and 9 year old Written byAuntieMom December 28, 2010

Absolutely love this movie!!
Educator Written byOhBrother December 24, 2013

Great Movie!

Great movie, we have watched it every year since I was a little kid. I am 20 now and still enjoy watching this every Christmas Eve with my family. There is one curse word used about sixteen minutes into the movie. Not bad for an 80s movie. Jacob Marley is awesome.
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian January 1, 2013

Enjoy this Christmas Carol--Just Grab a Blanket and Teddy First

My dad introduced this film to me at a young age, and we've been watching it every year for 20 years. Scrooge's redemption makes for a great story; his reformed self, the kind Cratchits, the cheerful Fred, and others, make for great role models. The messages they bring are wonderful, as well. The film has a definite Renaissance feel that adds to its charm and faithfulness to the original story. If your kids are like me, they will be enchanted by the music and eager to add classics like "The Sussex Carol" and "I Saw Three Ships" to their Christmas repetoire. Cautions: it's a ghost story, and things get bleaker the further we go. (Past is pretty harmless; Present less so; Future is downright creepy). Be aware of a scene built around two zombie-like children, lots of lightning and creepy metallic wails, and semi-frequent pipe organ blasts in early scenes. Also be aware that Marley lets out a couple of blood-curdling screams and looks very foreboding. One scene features a homeless family; this warrants discussion of Scrooge's reaction, as well as what ours should be. One other note: Tiny Tim is an archetype/stereotype of disability for Dickensian novels. This is okay for the time period, but families should, in my opinion, discuss what's true and not true where this is concerned, as well as that people with disabilities, poor people, etc. are not a "surplus." Overall, the film's too chilly for your Tiny Tims and Tessies. But for everyone else, it's a beautiful, thought-provoking flick and the version I recommend as most faithful to Dickens, 100%.