Parent reviews for A Cinderella Story: Once Upon a Song

A Cinderella Story: Once Upon a Song Poster Image

Disappointing, not for young or tween aged girls

My 7-year old daughter and I chose this movie on Netflix. It looked cute and we also enjoy movies with singing. After watching it for about 30 minutes, I felt uneasy about the values it was portraying. Aside from some language, I felt very uncomfortable with how the movie placed so much value on the outside appearance and encouraged girls to be a sexual object. On the positive side, we liked the music we heard in the first 30 minutes, but it didn't make up for the cattiness and sexual innuendos.
1 person found this helpful.

Should've been rated PG-13.

In the first scene they use the word swear, later into the film the main character says "bitch", then not too long after that the main character is locked out of the house by her little brother and then her crush says "A gift a god" this movie is way too suggestive and inappropriate for young children, don't even bother watching it in any case.

1 person found this helpful.

So Cute! Absolutely Love It!

I think this is a great movie & am shocked at some of the other reviews that are so critical. I mean it's "A Cinderella Story" it's a Cute, fun, heartwarming, funny, movie with a happy ending. So they say the word "ass" & they dont even use the actual word "bitch " in the song it gets cut off & other times its beotch so people need to calm down. It's not like kids now a days dont hear way worse at school. & as far as freaking out about the part where she gets locked out naked, omg!!! They don't show anything but her legs & shoulders. People need to just lighten up & not take everything so seriously! It's a cute movie & id recommend it to everyone!

13 and up

Ridiculous that it says a 9 year old could watch this movie. I watched it for 5 minutes and there was a girl on top of a boy telling him she wanted him..... there a was a boy telling a girl that there was nothing sexier...... and lots more sexy stuff..... I’m so sad I let my 7 year old even peek at this movie.

Good plot, but the cultural appropriation....

The movie and songs were so good, but they appropriated the Indian culture waaaaaay too much. With the dance, and the mother. All those students and her dressed in the traditional indian clothing. Not a good thing for kids to see, since we don't want to teach their generations it's okay to dress that way.

Should be rated PG13!!!

I am a frequent user of this site to assess what is appropriate for my daughter and what is not. She is a mature 8 and this was not appropriate for her. This movie is what prompted me to write this review which is my first. Entertaining movie for ages 13+. Shallow and superficial storyline . One of the opening scenes, main character is naked outside covered by only a doormat. She’s then greeted by her male crush. Joke about giving her his pants. Many scenes that are overly sexual for a teen based movie. School dance scene, beautiful Indian theme, very sexual movement and camera shots. Adult jokes about alcoholic mother. At some point the word bitch is used... just not what I would think for a PG movie!!!

Swear Words, Drinking, and Innuendos

In the opening scene the main girl says the word "kiss your ass" in the song. Main characters also use "bitch" many times throughout the movie. There are many innuendoes about sex and pen*ses. A main character is locked outside naked with no clothes by her brother, and you can see most of her body. She covers it with a welcome mat. The main guy is sexually attracted to both her and her sister. I personally love Lucy Hale, but I thought this movie was actually PG-13 instead of PG when i turned it on. The stepmother also drinks a lot of alcohol.

LANGUAGE alert!

Did any parents actually WATCH this movie? I was working on the computer and listening casually and heart first "Biotch" then later actually "I know my mother's a Bitch but…." I also heard Crap. And all sorts of inappropriate references. I turned it off for my 10 yo girl after the Bitch part though. I have a feeling these aren't the only two or 3 language slips. It isn't a good fit for us. And we're not particularly conservative!!

nicely done!

i actually liked this one. its cute and the girl can totally sing. such a beautiful amazing voice . wow great Cinderella movie it really is!

kids teens adults we can all watch iy yay!

this is a great movie i think for children all ages i just recently purchased the dvd btw nice movie so yes kids you can watch it don't worry parents its not a bad movie no its a good movie!