Kid reviews for A Dog's Purpose

Tearjerker is sweet, poignant, and occasionally violent.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBromen January 27, 2017

10/10

It is a really good movie

Kid, 11 years old February 19, 2017

Thought provoking movie gives an interesting view on how dogs live.

This movie is weird, it creates it's own world in which it gives sweet, depressing, or anger provoking vibes , it can be pretty much anything from A-Z. It doesn't have the "filters" of an average family movie per say which only extends the things it can do. With all the dark times, and sad deaths (3 of them), there's always plenty of comic relief. That's how I believe all movies of the genre should be. So this Comedy-Drama leaves you there loving your dogs and hoping they live the happiest life they can be. A lot of teens won't enjoy it because it's to "wholesome" or whatever, but i personally think it is the best movie I've seen so far this year. Violence - 3.5/5 As I mentioned earlier, this movie doesn't have the average filters. Therefore it standing out to me as a more, deep and so much thought is put into it that it's hard to bash this movie for being a little violent at times, that being said... There are some bar fights, a house fire resulting in a broken bone, many depressing deaths, and a bloody gunshot dog death, domestic abuse shown. That's all I saw though. Language 3/5 - Strong infrequent language includes a few Sh*ts and one hard to hear f***. Others include hell and damn, with some minor insults. Some surprising vulgar stuff for a PG but in today's standards, we've all heard them. Sex 1/5 Some minor kissing. Drinking/Drugs/Smoking - 2/5 Couples share drinks, characters smoke cigars in the background. No consumerism Positive messages/role models are hidden everywhere, so it's hard to point them out. Just enjoy the movie with the family and don't worry about the minor stuff making the movie PG! In conclusion this movie is good for the family, and is a must see for anyone that lives on earth, if you live on Mars you'll hate it. Good thing you don't live on Mars, anyway it has lots of comical relief helping fade some of the darker more mature subjects. I hope you see it, thanks for reading!

Teen, 13 years old Written bytheflipiccritic January 31, 2017

Amazing film

Why did this movie get bad reviews? This movie was way better than I expected. It was very entertaining throughout, and there were some funny scenes as well. I loved Britt Robertson as Hanna(h) in this movie. Britt Robertson is pretty and is one of my favorite actresses, and I think that Hannah and Ethan are a great couple. They were always there for each other, until the day when Ethan dumped her, but they get back together in the end. This movie also has great messages, like in the end, where the dog found out that pretty much every dog's purpose was to "be here now". There is also an unexpected twist, but I don't want to spoil it. There are a few violent scenes, like the intense house fire, and water scene. Some of the dog deaths may be sad to younger ones. But overall, a fantastic movie, and a must-watch!

Kid, 11 years old February 26, 2017

Sad, Funny, And Cute

WARNING: SPOILERS This movie was a good movie almost a chick flick! Me and my girls went and watched the movie and loved it, we cried every time the dog died. We loved it so much when we had to use the restroom we RUSHED back to make sure we could see it! I bought a 9 year old to see the movie and she said that it was so sad she wanted to stop watching it. I would love watching this On amazon video or Netflix. It is more for older kids. But a lot of laughing and crying and Smileing One of the owners dad did drink, and there was cussing. There was a younger girl in front of us i i feel like she should waited a few years to go and watch it.

Teen, 15 years old Written byRosette June 20, 2017

Tearjerker Film Accurately Portrays Culture

*POTENTIAL SPOILERS-I DESCRIBE SOME OF THE DOG'S OWNERS. IF YOU WANT A TOTAL SURPRISE, DO NOT READ THIS REVIEW BEFORE WATCHING.* First, the cons: This film was a real tearjerker. It starts out with a puppy born on the streets, who is taken in to the pound and euthanized (off screen). So, the movie's only been going for two minutes, and a puppy already died. Not a good sign. Dogs continue to die, again and again, each time in a touching way. The main dog has different animal friends who grow old and die, and he dies multiple times as well. That was hard for me to watch, since I love my dog so much. Also, a jealous friend almost kills the whole family. In one life, the dog witnesses his owner and his owner's girlfriend "licking face and wrestling". He muses that they do this a lot. In another life, after setting up his owner with a boyfriend, the dog says that they "started sleeping together" which is accompanied with a shot of them, fully clothed, napping on the couch after watching TV. Pros: This movie accurately captures how dogs and people were treated in the USA over the years. The first dog is put down as a puppy, the second is from a puppy mill, and was left in a hot car unwittingly, and the fourth(?) dog is purchased by a socially awkward black woman who eats her feelings, and feeds the dog junk as well. In the dog's final life, he is purchased by a young woman who lives in a run-down home. Her druggie boyfriend insists that the dog stay in a yard on a chain, and while she grudgingly consents, it breaks her heart. I feel like the movie promoted awareness for other people's situations, e.g., just because someone has a dog on a chain doesn't mean they don't love the dog. Every time the dog died he was calm, and wondered why his people were so worked up, which is a positive way of looking at it. The movie had a very satisfying, heart-warming ending. In conclusion, I found it to be well-written and intensely bittersweet. I believe it's fine for older kids, once they can understand mature themes such as alcoholism, euthanasia, depression, and attempted murder. Use discretion, however - if a child has lost a pet, this may bring back unhappy memories. I would watch this film again.

Teen, 17 years old Written bypola sameh April 25, 2017

awesome film for dogs lovers

I think it's a very good film for all kinds of ages (*expect some scenes of kissing and when the dog dies) and it's a film for all the family because it contains good messages to deliver and give you much positive energy so it makes you feel happy.

Teen, 13 years old Written bypinktaylor May 13, 2017

Lovely, sad tearjerker is very entertaining and cute, but flawed and violent.

In A Dog's Purpose, we are introduced to a dog named Bailey. After dying two times, he is introduced to a new life, where he is found in a car by a young boy named Ethan and his mother. His current life is amazing, spending time with his wonderful family every single day. Several years later, Ethan's family starts encountering issues and Bailey is becoming old. From then on, he starts new adventures, one life after another. When something outstanding is revealed, he realizes a change in his life pattern. How will Bailey's adventure end? Violence 3/5: Surprisingly intense. Dogs die of old age and thirst/hunger. Boy gets punched in the face. Firecracker thrown into house; house explodes and a teenage boy is forced to jump out a window, severely injuring him. Abusive, alcoholic husband pushes his wife and child, as well as chokes his dog/locks him away. Dog is shot and blood is shown everywhere; the dog dies. Dog nearly drowns. 12 year old girl is shoved into a running river from a height - she nearly dies. Dog is forced to become homeless. Dog death scenes are upsetting and heart-breaking. Reference to mentally ill ex-boyfriend. Sexual content and nudity 2/5: Reference to sex, will go over kids heads. Lots of kissing and making out. Language 3/5: A few uses of "s--t," and "crap," as well as a few rude insults. Drinking and drugs 2/5: An alcoholic frequently gets drunk in front of his family, becoming violent in many scenes. Quality 4/5: A Dog's Purpose will make you cry, laugh, awe, and smile in happiness. The characters are incredibly nice and treatment Bailey fair. The film itself is very entertaining and leaves you heart-broken many times. Filmed beautifully and filled with exemplary acting and cute scenes, A Dog's Purpose knows what it is as a film and accomplishes its goals - an adorable, brilliant puppy movie that provides positive lessons. My rating:PG for violence, brief alcohol use, and upsetting images.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDJAries May 26, 2017

Absolutely amazing

I thought that this movie was amazing and very touching. I cried about 20 times, haha. If you have ever really loved a dog, no matter what age it is or was you will feel such deep emotions from this movie. You will cry too! So don't forget the tissues! Anything bad you have heard about this movie, for example, the animals were mistreated is not true. They clearly state in the parental guide that there was an investigation and the video was falsely edited to make it seem the animals were being mistreated. 10/10 definitely recommend.

Teen, 13 years old Written byKinkajou21 June 21, 2017

A Dog's Purpose (Perhaps some Spoilers)

I really enjoyed this movie. All of the owners that were focused on, despite having their own struggles, were ultimately loving, compassionate, and moral. The dog tries his best to make his owners happy, and tries to understand their feelings even if he doesn't understand what's going on. The movie highlights empathy and the importance of having someone to share your life with, whether that is a human, an animal, or both. There is some violence/intense scenes. The dog dies in multiple lives of old age. In one life, the dog is shot and there is some blood. In other words, there are a few emotional deaths. An abusive father pushes his wife and son. One character sets fire to a main characters house, which results in a catastrophic injury for one of the main characters. There is also a scene in which a young girl is kidnapped and thrown into turbulent water, but the dog saves her. Another owner is irresponsible and leaves the dog outside with a chain, and later releases him, knowing he will be a stray. There is some guns. There might be some language, but I don't remember any, so it may be mild and/or minimal. There may be some brief social drinking. There is also a father who drinks. He begins not drinking way too much, but later spirals, and eventually is kicked out of his house when he shows violence towards his wife and son. There is not really any sex in the movie. In one life, the dog (who is male that time) falls in love with a female dog. There is some kissing.

Teen, 13 years old Written bycandyfloss June 23, 2017

great

it is very emotional movie might be a little hard to follow for younger kids because of the dog being differnt all the time

Teen, 13 years old Written byCarmela03 January 29, 2017

Teen, 16 years old Written byNovelnerd2187 May 14, 2017

Tear Jerker

I thought this was a very good movie (thought if you are absolutely against reincarnation then don't watch it) but I found it VERY sad. I cried at four different times throughout the movie (yes I am an emotional teenage girl) and my brother, who is 9, was still crying a half hour after the movie ended. (minor spoiler: He was crying because there is a scene where the dog is adopted as a puppy but then chained up and left outside for years, and then his owner leaves or something (not sure about what happened at that part because I was crying) and the dog gets turned out on the street.) Anyway, if you don't mind that there is some abuse in there, and apparently bad words (call me deaf, but I didn't hear them. In my defense I was sewing at the same time) then you should watch this movie. It helped me appreciate my super sweet dog even more, and it did have a good ending, that was kind of cheesy, but I don't care.

Kid, 10 years old February 12, 2017
Awesome and appropriate for almost everybody, only thing you might want to be careful of in this film is when a man sets a house on fire with a firecracker leading to a serious injury of one of the main characters
Teen, 13 years old Written byHP er hi mate poo bl May 26, 2017

A dogs purpose

great movie. so sad but happy. amazing story set throughout the 1960s to the 2000s.

Teen, 15 years old Written byDisneymovielover7777 February 11, 2017

Great movie!

This movie was really funny in several parts! I've seen it twice already, it's a great movie! Calling all dog movie lovers, this one's for you! A Dog's Purpose tells the story of a dog and you see the different lives of this dog. A puppy, to Bailey, police dog Ellie, and the last one Buddy. Yes, there's some deaths ( but it doesn't show the dog dying). It tells the story of a dog who's had different lives and questions what it is that he's here for. Quite frankly his life as Bailey was my favorite but the others were great as well! Violence- a boy sets a family's house on fire. Not to mention that a dad does shove his wife and you hear them arguing. When the dog was Ellie, a girl was kidnapped by her mother's ex-boyfriend. The girl was in the water and it may be traumatic for some viewers. Not to mention that a dog was shot. There was some kissing in the movie and in this movie you see the effects of Alcohol and what it could do to a person. There's a dad who developed a drinking problem and you see how it affects his son and his wife. The same dad also humiliates his son in front of his son's girlfriend and his friends. Another character bullies a kid because of his father. The narration of the dog makes a couple of scenes really funny! There's no language and only a couple of kissing but not anything really bad. After you see it, you'll want to go see your dog! Definitely my favorite movie so far this year and a great movie to go see for Valentine's Day Weekend! You'll laugh and you'll cry! ( If your kid is sensitive to the things I've mentioned above then preview and decide if your kid can handle it. If not then wait until you think they're ready).

Teen, 16 years old Written byiiWatermelonz May 20, 2017

Extremely Emotionally Intense

Some parts of this movie are much to intense for some people. Having loads of blood, it is tearjerking and sometimes sweet. However, the father is an alcoholic.

Teen, 14 years old Written byneoncat81 April 23, 2017

the best movie i have ever seen it is now m favorite movie of all time

It is a very emotional sad but also heart warming story about a dog and his special bond with his owners and I strongly believe we can all learn something from this.

Kid, 11 years old February 3, 2017

I love this but not for emotional people

This move is my favorite movie ever but I am a dog lover and the dogs always die I cried so hard there is a scene where the dog gets euthanized I had to put my dog down and that was a super hard scene for me to watch and there was a dog that got shot and there was blood
Teen, 13 years old Written byVerillion April 22, 2017

Disappointing

Honestly, Bailey (the dog) should have had more lines, the movie to me just seemed kind of empty, it also skipped a good bit of important parts that would help explain things later, on top of that it didn't stick to the book (which is what it should have done in the first place) my main point being that they added an extra dog nstead of SPOILER ALERT Ellie dying, she should have lived and went on to help them find true love, going back to the skipped part, it skipped many important scenes, one being when, Ethan and Bailey get lost in the woods, which helps Bailey get back later, but that's just my opinion, if you want to know what I'm talking about, just read the book, it's much better
Teen, 13 years old Written bya.s.l_27 April 2, 2017

Great and emotional movie

It is a great movie. It teaches people to look out for the good things in life. It was a sad movie. I cried the whole time. But I enjoyed it