Parent and Kid Reviews on

A Dog's Way Home Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 65 parent reviews

Sort by:

If your kid is sensitive, avoid

My 9 year old son couldn't make it past the first 1/3 of the movie he was crying so badly. He is admittedly sensitive about animals, and this movie is filled with traumatic situations for the dog who is always under threat. These are disturbing threats, not like Homeward Bound which he loves. So if your kid is sensitive especially about animal abuse, I would definitely avoid.

Traumatized my son

My 4.5 yo daughter wanted to watch this since we just got a puppy. My sensitive 8 yo son cried throughout, and we all thought the situations the main character, a rescued dog named Bella, went through, we’re horrible. We pushed through to show them that everything ended up ok, but it was tough. I wouldn’t recommend it at all for children. Now let me go comfort my kids and ensure them that our dog isn’t going to be taken away from them, subjected to starvation, wild animals and dog wardens, or hit by a police car.

Not for young kids

This movie is way more intense than it advertises itself to be. The dog goes through a lot — an avalanche, being chained to a dead homeless guy, and causing a multi-car pileup on a freeway. Sure, it shows the dog’s loyalty, but it’s definitely not for kids.

Not for little ones

By all appearances it’s a kids movie. I had to explain to my 5 year old hunters shooting an animal and why at one point of the movie the dog hero is chained to a DEAD HOMELESS PERSON?!?! Who in the world thought that was a good idea for a FAMILY MOVIE? I love Ashley Judd and the cast was fine but do not let small children watch this. She is still disturbed and asking questions a day later.

Not for sensitive kids!

I didn’t see this motive myself, but my children did at a school movie night. It made my not terribly sensitive 10 year old daughter sob so much she had to be picked up early! There is a scene in which the dog is found by a homeless man who dies while the dog is chained to him, and the dog can not get to food or water for while until the body is found. Between the death and the tension re: whether the dog will die too was just apparently too much. I’d watch out for this one if your kids are at all sensitive.
1 person found this helpful.

drawn out and way too intense

If you think this will be like Homeward Bound, be warned - it's way more intense and graphic. Definitely not appropriate for my 6 year old. I wish I had read the reviews before watching it. Everything ends (mostly) happily, the cinematography is pretty, and the CGI is pretty good. But definitely not a feel-good kids' movie.

Don't waste your time

I wish I had read the reviews of others before wasting my family's weekly movie night. This movie was AWFUL. Liberal agenda. Terrible CGI. Annoying overdub of the dog's voice. Unbelievable storyline. Do yourself a favor and don't waste 90 minutes of your life.
1 person found this helpful.

chained to a dead homeless person??? and totally woke

Its a really good movie I think everyone should watch this espesily 3 and up

and I dont know why its says 10 and up

Good movie, but you need a strong heart and a box of tissues

It was a good movie. Might have been a little boring in the middle parts for a while. It is really bad that people are rating this 1 for homosexuality and inter-racial couples. It is 2019 for heaven's sake. Overall, might be a little violent, but a heartwarming story