Kid reviews for A Dog's Way Home

Sentimental but sweet dog adventure has intense, sad scenes.

Teen, 14 years old Written bybookworm3284 January 14, 2019

Don't listen to bad reviews. This is amazing and awe-inspiring. IMPORTANT UPDATE AT BOTTOM.

This movie is wonderful and so emotional and heartwarming. I thought it was better than it's companion, A Dog's Purpose. And yes, I cried once or twice. The only thing that parents really need to look out for is the scene *spoiler alert* when a man chains Bella to him and then dies. In the middle of the woods. And the saddest part of this scene is that there is a river right by where he dies, and the chain is a foot-too-short. So Bella is starving, and thirsty, and it hurts to watch this scene. The other part, (this is implied), but for at least 20 minutes of the movie, Bella finds a home with a gay, married couple. It doesn't say anything, but you can figure out, and easily that it is a gay couple, and not just too best friends. There are some scenes that may scare kids, but when that happens Bella either gets rescued, or finds a way out of it. In one part wolves attack Bella and throw her around, until Big Kitten comes to the rescue. The most shocking scene is when Bella gets hit by a car, she only hurts her front paw. In the ending, when Bella gets back to "home" she is pretty bloody, and her fur is wet with blood, and it is also sad that she is limping around. The ending made me cry, maybe even ugly cry, just because it is so heartwarming and happy. They were tears of joy. My brother who was 10, and has a hard time sitting through movies loved this movie, and parents just make it darker, by pointing out all the little things that go by quick, if that makes sense. There is also startling jump scare. And in all honesty, it is a very inspiring film, and the script is amazing. And it is no darker than A Dog's Purpose, this one is actually less dark, considering dogs are not dying over and over. Go see it. And bring tissues. UPDATE: (1-28-19) I just watched this movie for a second time, and it was still amazing. Younger kids could handle it just fine. My MPAA rating: PG (for some suggestive material and thematic content, peril, scary sequences, violence against animals, and disturbing content)

Teen, 16 years old Written byAshleigh H January 13, 2019

A fun heartfelt film that blends 90s animal movies with more modern sensibilities

A Dog's Way Home is a fun film to cuddle up next to your family or puppy to watch and enjoy a few laughs and to shed some tears. The story itself is a bit nonsensical but fun. Visually the presentation of this movie was on par with your average Hallmark movie. The score is packed with a ton of pop songs. W. Bruce Cameron, the same man who wrote the book also wrote the script and some parts of the book did not translate onto the screen well like the narration bits, for example. There were parts where the film got preachy and the villains were almost cartoonishly evil but overall this is a fine fun movie for the whole family. Note: For all the concerned parents, there are some sad and intense scenes but nothing too scary like all of the other people on this site are saying. This movie is fairly tame (It's more tame than those Marvel movies you're eager to let your kids see.)

Kid, 9 years old January 21, 2019

Best Movie Ever!!!!!

This movie was a little sad but it was still THE BEST MOVIE EVER!!!! I definitely recommend watching this movie. It is a little sad and you may cry but it is still so good. So watch A Dog's Way Home.

Teen, 13 years old Written byHogwartz February 8, 2019

Great movie.

A lot of people said that this movie was very depressing, but I thought it was a GREAT move because {SPOILER ALERT} Bella ended up finding her way home in the end.

Kid, 10 years old February 8, 2019

Better than the Reviews!

I think A Dogs Way home is a really cute movie. I thought that it had a few scary parts in it like SPOILER ALERT!!! the part when their where there was a guy skiing and his dog saw Bella and he went running and an avalanche came down on the man and there were 2 other people and they were also skiing and they found the dogs digging the guy up and the 2 guys called the ambulance then he went home. the other guys brought Bella and the other dog because they thought that she was his dog too. So he didn't want his dog then he said he had never seen Bella in his life. And another SPOILER ALERT is that Bella gets into traffic and gets hit by a police car. So I think its ok for pre-teens and adults to watch but I think that littler kids need someone to watch it with them. Thanks for reading!!!!
Kid, 11 years old February 3, 2019

Don’t listen to the good reviews it’s traumatic

Not sutiable for anyone I know every one was crying we had to leave early people die the dog goes threw horrible times it is the worst film we all had ever watched we did it for a birthday treat and it was a birthday horror

Teen, 15 years old Written byButterfly12704 January 29, 2019

Bittersweet

This is a very sad movie about A DOG'S WAY HOME to her owner whom she loves. There are many bumps in the road on her journey to her master. She encounters much heartache along her journey. This really is a family-friendly movie but is really best for families with older kids for some of the inappropriate implied content in it. WARNINGS: There is a gay couple in this movie it's implied, but the movie doesn't show any physical affection between them so that's good. But still just for them putting in a gay couple in a geared towards families movie means that it definitely deserves to be for at least 12-year-old children. There is some language but not bad: moron, oh my gosh, an unfinished sh*t, and freakin. At the end, it shows Lucas and Olivia in their bed and we see their wedding photo on a nightstand, so we know that they're married.

Teen, 15 years old Written bySwirlpop101 January 14, 2019

My opinion on the movie and book

So listen closely, I read the book before I watched the movie and to tell you the truth they have way different storylines. Also I think the book was a little better. I think t should be for 13 and up due to the gore factor, death, and the amount of swearing, and a gay couple. This is a really good movie but really shouldn’t be watched under 13. Maybe 12 or 11 but that’s the lowest I would go. Unless your kif is used to that stuff. But overall very sweet movie.