Parent reviews for A Knight's Tale

Edgy medieval tale with rock music, some cursing.

Wondering if A Knight's Tale is OK for your kids?

Adult Written byRyDel81 November 28, 2018

A fun time for the whole family!

This movie is clearly a work of historical fiction - heavy on the fiction. It does not try to be more than that. It is a fun tale of a peasant squire who sees an opportunity to improve his station in life, and with the help of his trusted sidekicks, he sets out on his quest to become a real knight and “change his stars.” There’s brief male nudity (buttocks only) in two parts, and it is used for comic relief. It is completely appropriate, as everyone has a butt, and we all know what they look like. When I show this movie in my 7th grade social studies class, with parent permission of course, I edit out the one scene where it is implied that the two main characters are about to engage in sexual activity. I do this, not because you actually see anything, but moreso because no middle school kid wants to watch a bedroom scene with their teacher, and no teacher wants to watch that with their students. That being said, it’s tasteful and they don’t even show anything, they simply cut scene from them laying in a bed, to the next morning. This is one of my favorite films and it helps my students have a better understanding of feudalism and the shift from knights being hired to protect the land, to knights being more like celebrities or professional athletes. Two thumbs up!

Parent Written byTawnda A. January 22, 2018

Proceed with Caution

We are a homeschooling family, and thus have been studying knights/jousting/feudal system/melee/etc. We have a 10 year old and triplet 7 year olds as well as a 2 year old. We watched this to cement some of our learning and make it fun too. Caution regarding sexual tension between two lead characters, which you may want to fast forward through as well as a a man's naked butt. Movie with this much "violence" should be discussed with children but to it is a piece of history and it's ridiculous to allow children to play violent video games etc. but not want to expose them to historically relevant films.
Parent of a 9 and 11-year-old Written bybaltico May 20, 2017

Great for all ages - Perfect for a family movie night

I just watched it with my kids 9 and 11 and it was fun, exciting and inspiring. No violence, the fights are part of a tournament and there is no blood; well maybe some noses are shown bleeding, but as a funny thing. And there is no sex either. There is kissing, in a romantic way.
Adult Written byBeckstar October 31, 2011

not for kids

Bit of sex and lots of sword scenes. I wouldn't let a kid under 14 watch it personally

Adult Written byajsimeone September 28, 2011

Knights Tale, A Great Movie!

The more I watch this movie, the more I love it and think it is a great movie! Simply put: It is a movie about knights competing in jousting games during medievil times. Does that make this movie violent? I say No Way! It is no different than watching football on TV on Sundays. Nobody dies in this movie other than Sir Ector at the beginning, where it shows him already dead and just sitting against a tree. And it is a love story. There is no sex in this movie, other than a few kisses between Sir William and Jocelyn. I honestly can't say that the few kisses makes this movie sexually inappropriate for kids. There is one scene where Chaucer walks by the camera, naked, but you only see him from behind, which might be inappropriate for young kids. There are maybe a total of 5 or 6 naughty words spoken through out the entire movie. Is that enough to prevent young kids from seeing the movie? Aside from these few points, the movie displays fantastic scenes of pagentry and chivalry, Knights in their armor jousting, horses garbed in their own costumes and armor, Colors and Costumes that the people wore and displayed, flags waving, and crowds of people cheering. All in all, a great movie!

Adult Written byHonestreviewer October 22, 2010

5 starts

Fantastic movie about a peasant who disguises himself as a knight to compete in jousting competitions. You see Chaucer's butt while he's walking down a road, nothing more than that. So mildly inappropriate. Some swearing. Violence isn't an issue really, the movie is about knights, you have to expect it. There's hardly any blood. Pretty comical. Movie is all about being yourself. Not having to hide who you are just because of where you came from.

Parent of a 5, 5, and 8-year-old Written bymommy.of.three October 28, 2009

Awesome family fun, even for younger kids with parent interaction

I loved this movie. I have young children 8 & 5 and have let them watch it. I skip over a few sections, the romantic tent scene and the "beating" in prison. The music is AWESOME and my children love the jousting!!!! Our whole family is "pumped up" after seeing this. We "talk" about everything and they seem just fine with it. There are many lessons. We could watch this movie over and over.

Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

Huh

a mix of knights and metallica. Worthless
Adult Written byRachel D April 9, 2008

Excellent fun

I thoroughly enjoyed this show and have watched it over and over again. The mix of modern music into a midevil tale is inventive and fun. The story is cute, romantic and funny. The jousting is the only cause for concern, a lot of falling off horses and loud bang ups!
Adult Written bysoymissk8 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byquest13 April 9, 2008
Adult Written bysting April 9, 2008

Nice action movie.

It's rated for a reason. And there is brief nudity of a mans naked back side. But everyones back side looks the same so its not so bad. The story line was very good. And through all the violence of fighting there were soft and tender moments also. And a lot of good laughs. A good movie for teens and adults.
Parent Written bymjquinn April 9, 2008

Excellent Family Movie

Admittedly, a major thread is Jousting/Sword fighting (also the courting of a woman) with brief nudity (man walking past on the road.
But my children throughly enjoyed the music and the Hero standing up to the bad man...(especially beating him at a game, instead of killing him). Gambling gets brought up clearly as a vice. My 8yr old girl, loved the story; my 4yr old boy "jousted" at things for a week. I am good with 8+, if parents are prepared to talk about things that come up.