Parent reviews for A League of Their Own

A League of Their Own Poster Image

Great story, but too much sex talk for my kids

While this was a good movie, with a great cast and a heartwarming story, there was far more sexual innuendo and crude speech than other reviewers have mentioned. "I'm going home to give my wife a pickle tickle." "Women are for sleeping with after the game, not coaching during the game!" "What if when I run on the field my uniform comes open and my bosoms hang out?" "Do you think there are men in America who haven't seen your bosoms?" One woman teaches her teammate to read using a romance novel. She sounds out, "He grabbed her creamy, white breast," then the first character says, "It gets really good after this." The movie was full of this kind of dialogue, not to mention drunken kissing in a bar and a young boy asking a woman to take him in the back seat and make a man out of him. Great movie, but I was very uncomfortable with my ten year old watching.

6 people found this helpful.

Opens the door to discussions about sexism, then and now

This movie was a lot of fun to watch, and gave us lots to talk about afterward. As other reviews have mentioned, there are crude words and jokes throughout, and Tom Hanks is drunk for much of the movie. (His drunkenness not incidental--it's a central plot point.) I agree with the other reviews that, although some of this goes over kids' heads (nobody calls gonorrhea "the clap" anymore), parents do need to know that a lot in the movie will prompt questions and/or giggles. ("What did she say?" "Why are they laughing?") The movie also has a lot going for it, including giving kids a window into the kind of sexism that existed in the 1940s. Our kids found it sometimes amusing and sometimes amazing what kinds of stereotypes existed about women back then. One of the best things about the movie is showing the kind of courage and thick skin it takes to move a society away from stereotypes. There are also things in the movie that demonstrate the kind of sexism that was acceptable at the time the movie was made.... and which reinforce gender perspectives that some may now find outdated or even inappropriate. Here are two to consider: The Madonna character ("all-the-way May") is written and portrayed with a commendable strength. She also fits and reinforces the stereotype of the "easy" girl who, off the field, is known by everyone as "the one who sleeps around." Some would argue that--in the movies and in real life--there is not an equivalent male stereotype, despite the fact that guys also "sleep around." If you agree with that argument, it may be an interesting discussion point for your family. There is also a running joke in the movie about how others believe that one of the female players is so terribly and awfully ugly. To my wife and I, these jokes came across as not really a way of showing that, in the 1940s, beauty mattered more than skill. It was mostly a "gag" that the writers and costume designers used to make fun of the girl's appearance and get some cheap laughs. (A related joke is that Tom Hanks "accidentally" kisses the chaperone who--ha ha--is so ugly he screams when he realizes what he's done and complements her on her portrayal as the the witch in the Wizard of Oz.) Well, of course cheap laughs are part of what you get with a comedy movie :-) But these in particular may also provide an opportunity to talk about whether those jokes are really that funny, especially to the character in the movie who is treated sometimes as if she is wearing a scary Halloween mask. (BTW the movie treats this same issue in a more nuanced and less mean-spirited way when it focuses on how the two sisters on the team have to deal with perceived differences in attractiveness and skill.) I know this sounds like I wouldn't give the film four stars but, as I said at the top, we liked watching the movie and enjoyed talking about it even more with our two daughters. My comments are really just magnifying a few potential blemishes that others have not mentioned.
2 people found this helpful.

Has a ton of baseball plus interesting topics

My 8- and 10-year old boys loved this movie. I never thought of it this way, but my 10-year old says it’s one of his favorite sports movies because “it has so much baseball.” You get to see the characters make great plays, plus the baseball games dramatically build to the conclusion in an organic way. I hadn’t thought of it that way, but there is actually a lot of actual baseball compared to The Sandlot or Field of Dreams, which talk about baseball but you don’t see a ton of plays. This movie obviously also has a lot going for it all around, with great characters, plot, and historical accuracy. My kids really identified with the fact that it focused on siblings who loved each other but also felt like they were competing with one another. It prompted a lot of great discussions about how women loved and were treated back then. One of my favorite movies I’ve ever watched with my boys along with The Princess Bride and Remember the Titans.

great movie with some relatively minor issues

so i’m probably in the minority in that i’m a ministers wife and my family is extremely careful about what we watch. my youngest is almost twelve. a year or two ago i wouldn’t have let my family watch this. however we watched it and i didn’t regret it. i had to explain some things like sexism but i think it was a good thing. i was a little uncomfortable with the women in bras however i do understand that some people don’t care and they think it’s no big deal. a lot of the language abd innuendo went over my kid’s heads. we didn’t fast forward through anything. the things people mentioned are all there but some of them went by so fast i missed them. the most glaring was the drinking of tom hanks character (portrayed as negative) Mae’s overtly sexual behavior and also the penis in a hat comment. i still thought overall this was a really great movie. it made me laugh. a lot. that’s rare. i’d give it five stars if it weren’t for the iffy stuff. however it’s still good. Maybe i’m old fashioned but i’d say 12 and up.

Perfect for my girls

I don't think I'm extremely permissive, but I just don't think the "sexual innuendo" in this movie is something you need a warning for or that you need to fast forward through. This is a great film for tweens and teens and our family watched it together. Really positive messaging for girls. And I think the crude humor in the film only reinforces the messages it's trying to convey. I personally am happy to have this film kickstart any questions from my 11yr old and 14yr old, even if it means I have to explain a "pickle" or what "all the way mae" means. I highly recommend this film. Penny Marshall directed a real gem and the actors were perfect for their roles. Fun film!

Great Family Film - Anything inappropriate goes over little ones' heads

We watched this together as a family with my 9 and 5.5 year olds, and everything loved it. Sports movies are always fun because you end up cheering together, and good sports movies with positive girl power messages and a little history make my heart sing. There is definitely some swearing, but, as always, it provides a good opportunity to discuss what is appropriate and what isn't. There was some drunkenness at the beginning, but it was not portrayed positively and it was easy to talk to the girls about why drinking too much is bad. There was also some innuendo, but my husband and I immediately noticed that it went right over the kids' heads and there were no issues - they neither noticed it, nor realized that they missed something. The story is told as a flashback, and my younger daughter checked out when the story went back to "modern" (1992) days for the last little bit, but I don't think that detracted from her enjoyment of the movie at all.

My kids loved it!

My 2 boys, ages 7 & 9, loved this movie. Much of the sexual innuendo went over their heads and we talked about how the coach was drunk and why that wasn’t good. (Btw, the line about “you look like a penis with a hat on,” is HYSTERICAL and the coach rightfully gets thrown out of the game for it. Hello, consequences.) The main characters are great role models—they stand up for the not-so-pretty ball player, they help the ball player who can’t read, and there’s even a nod to the effects of segregation. Great movie for family night, one of the best we’ve watched together.

Great movie for all ages and all genders

I saw this movie with my 10 year old son, who loved it, and a group of mostly 6th grade girls, who also loved it. All of them got the message of female empowerment, team bonding, and character change that is at the heart of the movie. It is a full 2 hours and 8 minutes long, which started to seem about 10-15 minutes too long for our group, but they were just barely able to stay engaged to the end. There is some swearing in the movie - not a lot, but some - and there are a few scenes of characters who are drunk. I feel like most of the sexual references are well-delivered humorous jokes and did not bother me. In terms of sexual content, there are a few kisses, no nudity, no cleavage, no sex scenes or suggested sex scenes. So, decide if the positive messages are meaningful to you and if you or your kids can handle some occasional language and innuendo.