Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for A Little Game

Earnest coming-of-age film uses chess as a metaphor.

Based on 1 review

Based on 1 review
Adult Written byReviewerz July 3, 2016
Disappointing. I thought it would be about a bright girl who uses chess to deal with life, as the synopsis suggested. I have a bright child and thought it would be good for her. The main character didn't show signs of intelligence; it was just mentioned that she's so smart. They mention a boy's 2 moms and she later wonders what it'll be like if she had 2 dads (or a different grandma/family), and has a nightmare and wakes up crying because the sun is burning out. Like I said, no true signs of intelligence. The guy who teaches her chess wasn't too smart either. His chess metaphors, and the metaphors she uses for the last game, were absolutely horrible, even for kids. They weren't at all applicable to real life. There was no true plot and a lot of bad decision making by the adults. The grandma keeps bashing her son-in-law, even in her death (it became sci-fi at this point). The mother moves away from her family in NYC to Boston to take a $15/hour job. Not sure how they're surviving in NYC and attending private school on the UWS on $15..or why the mom couldn't stay in NYC for $15. I live in NYC and it's so unrealistic. Speaking of UWS, the writer made it about the upper side vs the lower side (rich vs poor, fake city kids and real city kids). Even for a fiction movie, it's a waste of time.