All parent member reviews for A Little Princess

Adult Written bySirenStar November 4, 2011

Amazing family movie!! I'm 24 and still "believing in the magic"!!

I saw this movie when it first came to video when I was about 7. I loved it!! So many positive messages in the movie: friendship, treating everyone as equals, sticking up for what you believe in, never giving up, staying strong during hardships, teamwork, caring for the less fortunate, and staying young at heart. I would even say this movie is mildly educational for the fact it encourages children to use their imagination. I think 6 and under would need parental guidance for the war scene and the 10 headed demon Ravana in Sara's story; neither personally scared me, but they might scare sensitive children. Perfect movie for ALL princesses, and even princes too!! ^_^
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian January 1, 2013

A Princess of a Girl--and a Royal Jewel of a Film

Another classic, especially for girls, this is another of my treasures. Sara is a great role model, in that she knows acting like a princess has nothing to do with monetary standing, and puts that into practice. Her kindness, loyalty, and perseverance are traits kids would do well to emulate. Her loving relationship with her father is also worth noting in a culture that places little value on dads in general (though his subsequent loss may well sadden younger viewers; be aware of that and prepared to respond. I do not recommend a child who fears a parent dying watch this). The scenery is gorgeous, as is the music. You will want the soundtrack. This version also contains good discussion fodder about race and equality, as Becky, the mistreated servant girl, is also African-American. The major caveat here comes from a couple of scenes of WWI, mustard gas included. Sara is in peril during a daring escape, and Miss Minchin has no qualms about abusing her and Becky, though it never gets physical. (Note here that viewers see glimpses of the woman's own pain; older kids may be ready to discuss that). Some scenes, which retell an Indian fairytale, feature a lunging, ten-headed monster, though in brief. But if your girls are mature enough (boys will probably not be interested, sadly), then introduce them to the tale that will affirm them as princesses in your hearts. (Note for Judeo-Christian families: I urge you to use this as a way to explain your girls' standings as Jesus' princesses).
Parent of a 3, 6, and 13 year old Written bySuzy_Mum April 7, 2013

war themes - get your tween or teen girls to read the book instead

I was disappointed in this movie. I had just read the book which was much better. The movie changed some key details of the story. For example in the book the father does not go to war, it is just the done thing at the time to send children to boarding school in London (not New York) if you are a rich Englishmand living in India. The other main difference is at the end of the book Sarah's father does not come back, however there is still a happy ending. I was shocked with the war themes displayed in this movie, my girls aged 3 and 6 found them quite scary, and I was not prepared for them as they were not in the book. The girls also found the animated imagined story scenes a little scary with the multiheaded monster. They also couldn't understand why Miss Minchin was so mean. And the scene at the end when Sarah nearly falls had them both freaking out! I would have preferred this movie if it had stuck more closely to the original story. Definitely better for older children.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bysmwdouglas October 26, 2012

What a nice surprise!

My 9-year old daughter and I watched this movie together and although there are a few spots that are a little scary for young school-aged kids (WW1 scenes of battle), it was overall a good message for children. I'll be honest...when my daughter picked this movie, I figured it was another cheesy second-rate film. Instead, I found the story engaging (enough for an adult!) with an overall positive - and innocent - message. There are a few spots that may require some discussion, the war scene prompted comments from my daughter about people dying in war. She has a sensitive heart and she got a little teary. I'm a pretty picky mom and this movie gets a thumbs up from me for girls 9 and up.
Adult Written byBeckstar October 29, 2011

Fine I think

This film will touch everyones hearts. Few scary scenes, which are mentioned up top. Also, some scenes where I think she screams and is locked inside a tiny little room, which could be classed as 'scary'. I think a 10 year old could handle it. The most disturbing scene would be the scene of the dead bodies, but you don't see any faces of the dead.
Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written byDavid600780 April 3, 2011

Heavy, but great kids film

Probably the only guy so far to comment on this movie, lol. It's a sweet movie, it really is. It has some powerful scenes with the thought of losing the father in the middle of it. You gotta take in the movie as a whole. It breaks prejudice very well. Know what the daughter went through, what the father went through, all wonderful build-up for the story line. Can't cut scenes from here, it's what binds you to the characters.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byMuffinmom March 29, 2011

Just skip the war parts and its a great movie

My daughter and I love this movie, its very sweet. The one thing is that it does have some scary war images, I just skipped them when we watched the movie (honestly they don't add that much to the plot).
Parent Written byelise g. October 7, 2016
Adult Written bysandywabbit April 9, 2008

a great movie

this is a great movie that made me cry when i watched it.