All parent member reviews for A Nightmare on Elm Street

Parent of an infant, 2, 4, 7, and 11 year old Written bylindsey678 February 5, 2011

BAD PARENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU LET A KID 14 AND UNDER WATCH THIS MOVIE THEN YOU ARE A BAD PARENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent of a 17 year old Written byjohnieb95 July 4, 2010

Perfect for older kids, but not for tweens

I loved this movie, it was less scary than the original, but just as amazing. I can't wait for this movie to come out as a dvd. When this movie comes out as a dvd i'm going to get it for free at www.prizerebel.com/index.php?r=1203929 for me and my family to watch.
Adult Written byclarence August 6, 2015
Adult Written byfonzieg April 3, 2015

More profane and more dark than the original, but also scarier!

To be honest, this movie is actually kinda scary, not because of the jump scares that are scattered throughout, it's because of the really creepy atmosphere! Plus, i think this movie actually might be slightly better than the original, but not by much! The special effects are top notch, and Freddy is much more menacing this time around! If it isn't just slightly better than the original, it's just as good! I recommend this movie!
Parent Written bySunday_Times September 27, 2012

Review by the Sunday Times

Parents need to know that A Nightmare on Elm Street -- a "reboot" of the classic 1984 slasher film, and the ninth film about "Freddie Krueger," a serial killer who attacks teens in their dreams -- contains all the expected gore (throat-slashing, burning bodies, car crashes, eye-stabbing) and nightmare imagery (like a girl sinking into a pool of blood), with a slightly darker tone than the original. In this version, Oscar-nominated actor Jackie Earle Haley plays Freddie as a more twisted, tragic figure -- a suggested child molester (though nothing is seen or even overtly discussed) -- who is taking his revenge against the people who destroyed him. The movie contains strong language (including "f--k" and "b1tch") and some mild hints of teen sexuality, as well as some references to drugs (for staying awake). On Elm Street, a teen tries to stay awake, apparently afraid of a scary man with knives for fingers who threatens to kill him in his dreams. He eventually succumbs and dies, leading the rest of his friends to fear for their lives. After more grisly deaths, Nancy (Rooney Mara) and Quentin (Kyle Gallner), try to stay awake long enough to find out who Freddie (Jackie Earle Haley) is and what he wants. Their search leads to a terrifying truth, and a mysterious past incident involving all their parents. But even armed with this knowledge, can they still defeat Freddie before their exhaustion catches up with them? The idea behind this horror series is still extremely effective. It brings terror to the one place where we should be safe: sleep. This new reboot follows the same structure and uses some of the same scary imagery from Wes Craven's 1984 classic original. It's competently made, and the characters and dialogue feel authentic enough. The digital special effects are more modern, in a way that will appeal to today's teen viewers. The new movie differs mainly in the character of Freddie. As portrayed by Oscar-nominated Haley, he's less funny and more twisted and tormented, especially in his flashback "origin" sequences. But the suggestion of child molestation brings the movie right out of the "fun" realm; it's far more disturbing than entertaining. Though one saving grace is that the teens in this movie are generally good kids -- not the sex-obsessed or mean teens that often find their way into horror films.
Adult Written bywonder dove September 15, 2012

Liked it.

Not bad at all. I had to watch it twice to like it. I've never seen the original Elm St. movie because I'm not a big fan of Freddie (haven't even seen Freddie v.s Jason!) but this I enjoyed. It wasn't that scary but more mysterious. Rooney Mara was great in the lead role paired with Kyle Gallner...good chemistry. LOTS of gore, language and violence! An innocent kiss and couple laying in bed. Much too violent for kids!
Adult Written byCyraxPredator November 7, 2011

not for kids of any age

Adult Written byage 10+ October 16, 2011

VERY scary

This movie is way too scary for anyone under 15. It scared me so much that I couldn't sleep the night after I watched it. Plus it is very violent and bloody and there is a ton of swearing.
Parent of a 10 and 14 year old Written byMoviesrule January 23, 2011

Another horror remake being remade by Michael Bay. But this was his first good one!

After Michael Bay remade Friday The 13th and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre I was very angry because of how bad it was. But this remake was fantastic and well made. The new makeup was very creppy and well done. The death scenes were great. Katie Cassidy and Jackie Earle Haley's acting was over the top good. But this film is for older teens. The language was strong and the blood and gore was strong also. People get slashed, stabbed, gutted and thrown around in dreams. There are many scenes of blood pouring and spitting, Cursing, Jump scares and graphic violence. But the teens don't ever drink beer or do drugs and there not teens who want to have sex and have it in horror films we see these days. ANOES 2010 gets five out of five stars.
Parent of a 3 and 14 year old Written byVAstuart22 December 2, 2010

My take on the movie

I really enjoyed the movie, it was great! I would let your kid watch it if you trust them. Violence was pretty bad but thats standered for a horror movie. Language is up there also. Freddy was known to do 'innapropriot' things to young children, but its never specified.
Parent Written byPlague October 14, 2010

A Nightmare on Elm Street

Very entertaining to watch, teens and adults with a love for slasher movies will like it.
Parent of a 13 and 16 year old Written byDr Mom October 11, 2010

Language is strong.

I grew up with Freddy so I was a bit curious to watch. This movie does not compare to the original movie. It was boring, predictable and full of foul language. I was uncomfortable with my 16yr old watching it with me because of the language. She thought the movie was boring for the most part.
Adult Written byerinkellycleo June 10, 2010

Watch The Classic Not This Trash

Trashy Story, Trashy Script, Crap Remake WATCH THE ORIGINAL
Adult Written byGreen Park Soldier May 4, 2010
Nightmare on elm st. has always been one of my favorite horror movies. so I was looking forward to this. the movie wasnt that good, but it was so much better than the friday the 13th remake. so if your a fan of the orginal you should check it out..... if your over 16
Parent of a 7, 13, and 17 year old Written bysammy1243 May 1, 2010

perfect for teenagers and up

well when i first saw this movie it was very realistic but then i new that movie makers are trying to make movies real nowadays to scare teenagers but for some reason they like these movies so i say let them watch the scary movies because it is for their entertainment i personally did not like the movie from the original but my 13 year old son loved he brought his girlfriend to it but i had to go cause it was rated R
Parent of a 13 year old Written byshreou79 April 29, 2010

Not for appropriate anyone, except the occasional adult who is addicted to this stupid series

Not something for anyone under 18. Language, violence, sex. Everything negative and nothing positive. Entertainment at its worst - valueless.
Parent of a 3, 7, 10, 11, 17, and 17 year old Written byTreythetired April 22, 2010

I guess it's good

NOT For kids 16- Very scary, Involves Murder, Stabbing, and scary content. My review from an adult is AWESOME, Great movie and story.