All parent member reviews for A Nightmare on Elm Street

Parent Written bygrapelover46 September 13, 2012

This is not a good movie for your kids, but it is pretty good.

Adult Written byhomey335 May 28, 2012

Great, but violent and gory.

Violence: 8/10- Teens are stabbed to death, there are bloody images, a character is burned to death, etc. Sexual Content: 5/10- Teens are seen having sex in a be, but under the covers. Language: 6/10- F**k is used 5 times. Sh*t is used 4 times. Godd*mn and b*tch are also used. D*ck is mutterd once. Drinking and drug use: 6/10- Consant drinking. Frightining or scary scenes: 9/10- This movie is about a killer who kills people in their dreams violently and gory. This is a pretty scary movie.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byjenn1996 December 3, 2010

Not a Family Movie hahaha

MY GOSH. THAT WAS QUITE A HORROR MOVIE. I'm almost 15 years old and I absolutely LOVE scary movies and that one was a thriller!!! I watched it with my mom and the only concerns I have for this movie is sexual content (the characters are MY age and their getting laid loudly...if you know what I mean.) and language (every 20 min they just the f-word, and they like to scream it!). In my household, violence isn't a big factor in movies and I'm used to it, but if you don't like a lot of blood and gore-- haha this movie is DEFINITELY NOT for you! The most scariest thing about this movie is just the element of surprise. Lots of things jump out and scare the heck out of you! After I saw this movie, my mother said "Okay.. No more Freddy Kruger movies for you.." Like if any kids younger than 15 saw this: they're probably scarred for life. I can't imagine what the remake of this is like.. Maybe when I'm 18 I'll go see it! Lol(:
Adult Written byLEEMOM123 April 17, 2010

OK for age 17+, but not "tweenagers"

Adult Written byIt Is Me May 30, 2015

Not Appropriate

This movie is not appropriate, no matter what the kids try to tell you. I was 15/16 when I watched this and I was scared out of my mind. This graphics suck, so it did take the experience down a bit, but the idea of dying in a dream is scary enough. Freddy is hideous and is very much one of the ultimate horror movie villains. I am pretty good with horror movies, but this one was definitely scary. I would not suggest this movie for anyone who has even the slightest of hard times telling what is real and what is fake. There is lots of blood, and while it is not as gory as its sequels/remake, it is enough to make a lot of people squeamish. Long version short, I had nightmares for about a week after watching it and I have watched a lot of horror movies.
Parent Written byPlague March 5, 2010

A Nightmare on Elm Street

Little kids beware, this is not a movie for you. But teens and adults must watch it! Freddy is #4 on my top 5 favortie slashers.
Adult Written bygitters April 9, 2008

once, two, freddy's coming for you!

A boogieman haunts teens in their dreams. If he kills them in their dream, they die in reality. If you know your kid and you let them watch horror movies, this is a light "R" in my book. Gore is about average, language is rather taime compared to many "R" rated movies.
Adult Written byconcatsanddogs101 March 7, 2016

A Horror Classic from the 1980s

In a time period where there was a lot of cheap, exploitation flicks, A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET hit a very strong chord. The movie is expertly crafted by horror master Wes Craven, who is sadly dead. This movie can be viewed as very bloody or too gory, but it really isn't compared to many horror films released these days. Also, I think it's good to point out that A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET has characters that have a lot of developement throughout the movie. The main character, Nancy is a strong protagonist and a good role model for children to follow. The film also has an actual plot, unlike mindless gore films. There's no teenagers getting chopped up at a campsite. The film doesn't contain an insane amount of sex. In fact, there is oddly no nudity and the worst things get is through implication (a character listens to loud moaning from the spot he's sleeping). I also find it surprising that there are only three deaths throughout. There is barely any swearing (a couple of f-words and s-words). The main issue is scariness. This film is intense, dreamlike, and surreal. Overall, it depends on what scares your kid.
Adult Written bySuperGuy25 March 2, 2016

One of my favourite horror classics

It is a fabulous movie. Freddy Krueger is just creepy. This movie contains some violence and blood and some swearing. Most mature tweens will handle it. This probably one of the best horror movies ever made and all fans of scares must definitely see it.
Parent Written byDaniel Hasferd October 2, 2011

Good Movie

A really good movie for mature pre-teens. But, I really think that some younger kids should avoid this horror film. NOTE: It is a HORROR film and does contain violence.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bymrs conn April 17, 2011
my MPAA Rating R for bloody violence
Adult Written byyaktown April 9, 2008
Adult Written byRocky Balboa December 31, 2015

Not as good as I expected; sorta cheesy but decent plot.

My review
Adult Written byfonzieg April 3, 2015

Cheesy and over-the-top, but it's one fun and creative flick!

A creepy atmosphere, and suspense, what's not to love about this 80's slasher flick! Featuring the 1st installment of my 2nd favourite horror franchise! Although it's cheesy, it's still a fun movie, and Freddy Krueger will remain as one of the all time great horror villains, next to Jason!
Adult Written byQuinton_Moad February 5, 2011

"A Nightmare on Elm Street" isn't terrible but be cautious about showing it to your children

"A Nightmare on Elm Street" is age appropriate for children between 12 and 13 if you feel they are mature enough. It contains intense violence and a scene of sexuality. It also contains a life-affirming message about dominating your nightmares.
Adult Written bycallofduty5 September 25, 2010

Robert Englund= Awesome!

Originally good slasher must buy for horror fans don't watch remakes they arent worthy
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byGOREROCKS July 2, 2010

AWESOME MOVIE

I loved this movie!!!!!! I Think That the rating is very harsh. I was amazed when i saw the rating on this site. IFFY FOR A 16 YEAR OLD?????? That is so ridiculous. I saw that it was showing in a little theater that shows old movies and brought my kids to see it. I highly recommend seeing this movie. AWESOME MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent of a 12 year old Written byravenjayz March 3, 2010
i loved this movie but i heard there is a new nightmare on elm st comming out with out robert enland in it an he is the only freddy. now thats a crime it wont be the same
Adult Written byEvanReviews August 14, 2009

Perfect Horror Movie for Mature Teens and Adults

Classic horror movie which I really enjoyed. Violence is throughout so is moderate language. And a brief sex scene but with no nudity.
Adult Written byfarrell1 May 9, 2009
great movie in horror movie history. Hope the remake is a good or better of im not watching it