Parent reviews for A Room with a View

A Room with a View Poster Image

TMI! Not for children younger than 16

A wonderful, authentic and richly made period movie depicting the mores, behaviors and wealth of the Edwardian age. It shows a young woman coming of age during her Grand Tour, with her chaperone, and Meeting her real true love on this trip. Lovely. But not for young children. There is a brief knife scene where someone gets killed, and a river scene with male frontal nudity, and a honeymoon scene. In this present age where, I believe, children are exposed too early to certain adult themes before they are mature enough to process the information, I think this movie is not for them. It would make a great talking point springboard for older teens.

Requires maturity to appreciate

This movie is one of my all-time faves, and I first saw it at 15. I disagree with the high "sexuality" rating given by this website. Although it does emphasize "sensuality," it is not necessarily about sexuality, but rather about being fully present, knowing and expressing yourself. I have a mature 12-yr old to whom I have not yet shown it, mainly because I don't think she would enjoy the subtle satire and humorous dialogue. It is not a fast-paced movie and requires an attention span and interest in that time period (post-Victorian England). There is frontal male nudity (swimming in a pond), but completely innocent, which I don't find inappropriate. There are a couple of passionate kisses, but the one slightly intense romantic scene is at the end, between a married couple. Beautiful movie about living life fully and being true to yourself.

Story line/characters need a bit of work, too much skin.

This movie was o.k. The story was pretty good, but I felt that they didn't do a very good job developing the relationships between the characters (Lucy and George and Lucy and Cecil). It was like they were all of a sudden in love. I was glad when she ended her engagement with Cecil, as he is a total cad who drinks too much and is a chain smoker. George is more "real". I was also disappointed by the nude swimming scene. It is possible to have a swimming scene - even if the swimmers are nude - without showing anything. We know what's going on, we don't need to see it. There is also a scene at the end when Lucy and George are married where they are shown without any clothes, kissing, and then they fall into bed. You don't see any full body parts but it's not necessary. Again, we're all aware of what happens when a couple gets married....we don't need to see it.

Good for Teens older than 15 I'd say.

It's a good romance and period piece. The people decide that love is more important than arranged marriage. The movie is Rated R for the men swimming naked which I htough was preposterous as they don't show any frontal nudity.

Decieved not for kids tainted by nudity and groping.

I was deceived, Who wants to see naked men running around. I was thinking this movie was like a Jane Austen movie, but it lacked taste. Not only were there naked men but he totally groped her with his mouth at the end. This story and message could have been good if it was not tainted so. I don't need my kids watching this and missing the whole story because all they could remember were a few tactless moments, this is definitely not for kids.

Beautiful period romance but beware some violence

A lovely movie with a beautiful Italian setting and wonderful acting from some British greats. I am mostly surprised that the website (and other parents) have made no mention of a disturbing and bloody murder scene, which is pivotal, and is used to illustrate the heightened emotions experienced in Italy by the two romantic leads. Instead, the site and parent reviews have focused on the male nudity, which is comic and inconsequential. My two girls, 13 and 8, will see plenty of female nudity in film -- I welcome a little equality in that department. We all enjoyed it very much.
not rated for age

Good movie to watch with the wife.

This film was a bit boring for this husband but the wife somewhat enjoyed it. It's a romantic period film. It would be appropriate for my oldest daughters (10 and 13) if it wasn't for the strikingly odd and excessive skinny-dipping scene where three men decide to disrobe and go for a swim. It wouldn't have been so bad if they didn't repeatedly show their private parts as they got out of the water and proceeded to chase each other around the pond. Kind-of odd for naked men to be wrestling nude too.
not rated for age

A great adaption of an excellent book

This is a great film adaptation of the classic novel by E.M. Forster. It's very true to the plot of the novel, and does a great job of capturing most of the book's themes - particularly equality in relationships and being true to oneself rather than conventions. It is also a sweet love story. I was surprised that this website has the movie rated 10+ because there is male frontal nudity in this film. The nudity is not at all sexual - in fact, it's just plain silly - but it is still something I'd be hesitant to let a child watch. I think this would be a great movie for a teenager in high school. 15+