Parent and Kid Reviews on

A Silent Voice: The Movie Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 43 kid reviews

Sort by:

Incredibly impactful, beautifully animated, moving anime is the BEST movie I've seen. EVER.

One thing to say right away- This movie is not for kids. Not because it's too violent or psychologically impressionate, but rather because it is a bit hard to understand. Some of the other reviews have said it was "boring and slow," but I assure you every second of this movie is packed with some kind of hidden meaning. There is not a moment where an attentive eye will miss any detail or be bored. Children cannot appreciate the true beauty of this movie. I was in a very bad place a few years ago, sincerely considering suicide, but this helped me realize that I mean something to a lot of people, and the hole I would leave in multiple lives if I left. Not to say that this movie alone saved me, but it really moved me. I am going to do a full in-depth analysis of this movie, going from the animated cinematography to the character models. There is really no way for me to describe how friggin good it is, so please just watch it. You won't regret it. **SUMMARY, SKIP PAST IF YOU MUST.** Shoda Ishiya is someone you might call as a ‘bully’ who finds some sense of fulfilment in other’s suffering. He was a kid and like any other ones, he wanted to have fun and he found it through the entrance of a transferee named nishimiya shouko who introduced herself as a deaf kid wanting to be friends with everyone in class. Shouko of course found it hard to fit in class, she git bullied by Shouya, his classmate namely naoka ueno, is one of his accomplices and even most of his classmates that had turned a blind eye through all the bullying. When the day came that the principal learned about the bullying, Shoya had his classmates’ back turned against him and was singled out as the bully. He tried to explain but it seemed like everyone had planned this all along. That doesn’t end in betrayal in fact; he was the center of bullying when Shouko transferred schools. In this, he had all the lonely thoughts of killing himself and isolating himself from most of his peers. He didn’t value friendship because of his trust issues but when he steeped in junior high, albeit being a social reject, Tomohira Nagatsuka becomes his friend. He also learned sign language in a far-fetched wish that this could make amends. The dream became a reality when he met shouko again, where he decides that she should forgive him so that he can release all the guilt he’s been feeling because he once ruined someone’s life. They began meeting and eventually became friends who valued each other deeply. Shouya had found a reason for living because of Shouko but little did he know that shouko’s trauma is still scarred in her fragile heart. At the day of the festival, Shouko tried to commit suicide and was saved by Shouya who fell instead of Shouko. He saved her which made shouko realize that there was still someone willing to protect her. Shouya was alive and in a heart-wrenching conclusion, they hugged each other and this poured all their emotions out that they’ve been hiding for years now. **END OF SUMMARY** This movie is... perfect. That is the only way to explain it. The cinematic shots are beautiful, and they perfectly capture the vibe and aesthetic of the movie. It doesn't use the cliche of the weather being overcast when a character is down, but rather how life would naturally function. The lighting, camera shakiness, blurs, angles, nature shots are all beautiful. The beauty of the shots, the attention to detail, it's all to much to describe by using words. You'd have to see it, but just know, it looks as good as it is. You kinda think the main character is a real piece of crap, but it works. He develops into someone who cares, into someone wants to fix his relationships. He loses his selfishness as time goes on, and starts caring for others because of his past experiences. He finds closure, happiness in knowing that he has made things right with those he hurt. And his actions did not go without consequences. He suffers for doing wrong, and it displays how one way or another, you will have to face the wrong you have caused. The social relationships are realistic. This movie defies the natural movie-universe rule that people act unrealistically to social situations. This aint some Disney channel type characters, nor are they normal anime style characters. They make sense, and react realistically to their surroundings. You hate them, then love them, then kinda both at once. There is not a single character which you don't feel is real, or feel is at least pragmatic. They are all part of the web, the structure of modern social circles, and when one is unstable, they all fall. It's just unexplainable. Simply amazing. The message. Under all of the tears that treaded my face while I watched this, I was doing some thinking. This movie, as I said, helped me realize the impact of suicide. After watching, I got my stuff together, started taking care of myself. I started living healthily, making friends, and realizing the importance of having someone to lean on. The moral of the movie is that you can't exist on your own. When Shoya was selfish, not caring about friends or anyone but himself, he was depressed. He was a mess, falling apart. As soon as he realized that life could be better if he just started to care. To give a crap about anyone. Another message is, to put it bluntly, to not be a bully. It hurts, causing immense pain in other's lives. There is a certain kind of pain, one that sticks, no matter the amount of apologies that comes afterwards. Make sure that you are never the cause of that pain. There's definitely more, but I can only type so much in one night, so I'm moving on. The soundtrack. The soundtrack really carried a lot of emotion. The one song that really sums up the entire soundtrack is probably Lit. It's so moving. The timing of the songs is something else that makes it so good. The final scene, in the words of Michael Shilts, is "Easily one of the most powerful, moving scenes in cinematic history." It is so friggin good, I can't do it any justice with my mere words. Voice acting. The passion. The meaning. The voice actors are astounding to me, because they manage to put truth and realistic amounts of emotion into simple lines. They never overdo it, or have a lack. It is really just poetically perfect. There is just so much more I could say, but I just can't think of it all. Parental review: Positive messages: 10/10 Themes are constantly pressing closure. Always make sure to right your wrongs, before it's too late. Persevere, move past mistakes, and learn from them. You will never be perfect, but you can at least live your best. Positive role models: 8/10 I would give this a perfect ten, but since this is realistic, I can't. there are some bad role models / characters, and there will always be. BUT, the majority of characters are amazing, strong, and have real emotions. They make good choices, and learn to be their best. Violence / Scariness: 4/10 The reason which I give this section so high is because there is a lot of verbal violence. Some punching, kicking, throwing dirt, slapping, beating, etc. but it's pretty light. The most severe is an attempted suicide, but for the sake of spoilers, I will end it at that. Language: 2/10 Some uses of BS, sh*t, damn, and other light profanities. Freak, weirdo, etc, just some simple name calling. Sex / nudity: 0/10 Drinking / drugs / smoking: 0/10 That concludes my review of A Silent Voice, and I really hope that you will consider watching it! Thank you!

6 people found this helpful.

Mature themes but great movie

Depends on the kid, as it deals with some pretty mature themes but it depends on how well they handle those topics. Overall a great movie with a lot of emotional weight.

2 people found this helpful.

Amazing 🤩

Amazing movie that really shows a lot about mental heath. But it is very sad.

2 people found this helpful.

I definitely recommend if you’re old enough to understand it

Firstly, AMAZING. It was really touching. I loved the characters and it really just hit hard. For younger kids it could be hard to understand and there’s a lot of references to suicide. The language isn’t too bad just a bit here and there nothing major. The message is great and it did make me tear up a couple times. I don’t watch anime or anything in this style too much but this is a game changer. I definitely recommend it if you can handle the suicide references.

BEAUTIFUL but so sadd

As an 11 year old (at the time of watching this) I can tell you that I wholeheartedly cried. Its really sad. Its about this boy called Shoya and he bullies this deaf girl called Shoko to the point where she leaves the school. Later on Shoyas friends dump him and he regrets his actions. Meanwhile Shoko is having a tough time which later causes her to commit suicide. The characters are amazing and it's just a great film not for little kids though.

WATCH IT

i considered fixing my life after watching this movie, absolute masterpiece and the sound track made me float out my house.

1 person found this helpful.

How in the world did this lose to the boss baby in the Oscars? It's amazing!

Great animation, great impact, and great themes, it has it all. Though it does contain mild swearing and intense scenes, i would definitely recommend it to almost anyone around my age or higher.

Movie should of been PG

Movie has a lot of suicide themes, but the main purpose is that there will always be someone who cares about you even if it's the person you think hates you, or the person you hate the most.

Not a bad anime for younger audiences to be honest.

This anime is alright for ages 9+, although, again, it is very sappy like some of the other anime I've rated.

beautiful movie, with a good message.

amazing movie! id say depending on how mature, 9-10+ could also watch. scenes of attempted suicide, bullying, a bit of blood, and death. but overall, an amazing movie with a great meaning and message, and definitely could teach a kid to not be a bully, i first watched it a while ago but have watched it many times again.