Parent reviews for A Star Is Born

Cooper, Lady Gaga shine in tragic story of love, addiction.

Parent of a 10 and 14-year-old Written byKazmom2 October 21, 2018

Great movie for high schoolers and up

I am honestly surprised by the other parent ratings. After reading the reviews here I told my 14 year old freshman she couldn’t see the film. After seeing it I told her she could. Yes,, there is cussing, but nothing a high school kid isn’t hearing at school (though hopefully not hearing as much as is in the movie!) The nudity is brief. The sex is literally a two or three scenes and in at least 2 of them the couple is married already. The sex scenes are tastefully done and show only a little nudity (which is the only nudity other than the bathroom scene which is also brief). Honestly I’d be more worried about the sexual content in some of the TV-14 shows on TV than in this (Big Bang Theory, The Office, Friends may not have nudity but have lots of indiscriminate, casual sex which I think is more inappropriate than what you see here). Yes, there are drugs and alcohol but it certainly isn’t glamorizing them, the addiction ruins the mans life. The last 30-45 minutes are hard to watch, but there is no content that should be shocking or wildly inappropriate for your average high schooler. If your high school age teen is ready to watch an emotional movie I think this is a good choice with good messages of love, commitment and the downfalls of addiction.

Adult Written byThornhill October 3, 2018

The first half is great and fun, the second half is weak and depressing, and the whole thing is explicit.

Sex scenes, over 100 unnecessary F-bombs, drugs and drinking, heavy themes, what are Common Sense Media thinking? You do great work, but you've dropped the ball again, pick it up please.

Weird how a PG film with almost no objectionable content can get a 13+ on here but R films with heaps get 15+, especially when the R rating MEANS 17+ to begin with.

Written byAnonymous October 3, 2018

Beautiful, raw movie for ADULTS. Maybe for mature and experienced 17's

This movie was written, produced and marketed as an adult drama (very well I should add, its a great film), for good reason. It's a pretty depressing and very mature movie containing graphic sex, relentless bad language and heavy themes. I'm shocked that CSM gave it such a low age stamp when they give less explicit and lighter films higher ratings. A few tender and inspirational moments don't outweigh the surplus of heavy content.

Adult Written byRmmeyer1 October 7, 2018

Mature, but good content

After reading the other reviews I worried that I made a mistake taking my 14 year old. But it was really a good movie, and yes the content was mature, but there was nothing surprisingly inappropriate. I think it’s fine for high school aged kids.

Parent of a 11-year-old Written byjiminy5 October 10, 2018

Stabs You in the Heart

Mature themes and content! A beautiful, emotional love story, yet character has demons to battle. Music is so good, I want the soundtrack. I smiled and cried uncontrollably all within the space of this film. Interesting to see an alcoholic, drug addicted man be endearing and kind. It helped me feel enormous compassion for both lead characters. Loved the idea of expressing one's truth. If you were an Alias fan, Bradley Cooper brings back some old friends from that show, which is cool. This movie is definitely for adults: i.e characters meet in a drag bar, bathtub loves scenes, vomiting and peeing oneself, suicide.

Parent of a 17-year-old Written byJflores14 October 5, 2018

A Star Is Born is Fantastic, Moving, Mature

A Star Is Born was a fantastic movie, one of my favorites of the year. The music was amazing, the acting was equally impressive, yet there was plenty of profanity, sexuality, and some nudity.

Violence: a man punches and is abusive while drunk many times in the movie. A woman punches a cop at a bar. A couple fights.

Sex: plenty of kissing is seen. A couple of montages of the couple rolling around in bed (both shirtless, the woman's arms strategically placed to cover nipples and wearing panties), another sex scene happens in a bathtub and the sides of the woman's breast and one nipple are viewed. And in a climatic scene, a woman jumps out of a bath and for about one second scene fully naked from a distance, no clear nudity visible. A man gets an injection and the side of his butt is seen.

Language: more than 100 f-words and scattered other words, such as ass and titty

My rating: R/ for sexuality, some nudity, drug use and mature theme

Parent of a 13-year-old Written bybella loves beyonce November 3, 2018

best movie i've seen in a long time.

yes, cooper plays a drug abuser, but it's a beautiful movie and your kid should be mature enough to handle it at 12 years old. please see this you won't regret it. it is sad, but a good opportunity to teach your child about these things.

Adult Written byMaria Kd November 25, 2019

YOU CANNOT LET A STAR DIE

It's a very nice movie. Both Bradley and Lady Gaga were perfect but i was very disappointed from the end of the movie. It was not that the end that suppose to be. If i knew that this will be the end i wouldn't watch it from the beginning.
Adult Written bySophie S. July 31, 2019

Good for all ages

Nothings wrong with it!
Adult Written byPuffywhippen July 18, 2019

Fantastic

I loved it! Definitely not a family movie for kids. It was a wonderful film and I would watch it again, it was romantic and heartbreaking if you like tear jerkers this is it!

Adult Written byKhaye553321 April 6, 2019
Excellent movie very sad ending however portrayed in a subtle and thoughtful manor

Adult Written byannabanana234 April 2, 2019

some more grown up stuff, but nothing a high schooler could’nt handle

Includes some more mature content, but I’m sure most high schoolers could handle it. Lots of language (mainly the F word) but nothing too serious that high schoolers haven’t heard a million times. Some mild sex scenes but they do a good job at keeping them short and controlled. Occasional nudity but only for a brief moment and nothing too revealing. I do highly suggest you warn your kids of some tough subjects at the end (especially for the trigger-warning, touchy-feely teens). Suicide does occur and it’s a tough subject so you make the call on how your kid handles that kind of thing. I think it’s ok to show your high school kids.
Adult Written bymovielover0.1 April 2, 2019

Why is it rated R?

The movie, A Star Is Born, is a beautiful movie.Now to get to what you're probably wondering "why was this movie rated R?" for it's a beautiful movie, but it deals with many topics that aren't really made directly for the kids at the age of 12-13 because, yes, they understand deep topics, but I believe this movie is more understanding to 14-15+. For some teens are dealing with this stuff, see this stuff more around their age, or learn about this stuff more. I recommend this to anybody who loves Lady Gaga, Bradley Copper, the song "Shallows," or is ready with a tissue box to blow their nose for this movie will hit you at some parts with you having to say, "there is just something in my eye." The movie does include sex, but I don't believe it to be to big of a deal and it also includes drinking which I also don't believe to be the biggest deal. Kids have learned this stuff already by the age of 14 to 15 thanks to health class.
Adult Written byChow250907 March 11, 2019

Amazing movie (one of my favourites)! Quite depressing in parts.

A well written, great acted movie. There is a fair amount of swearing including more than 100 f-bombs and some uses of s**t and b**ch.
Jack is an alcoholic and a drug addict, and in some bits he is stoned and heavily drunk (could be a bit hard to process). SPOILER ALERT AHEAD!!!

When Jack decides to end it all, it is very sad, including at the end when Ali sings in his honour. Overall amazing movie and would recommend it to anyone even if they hate Gaga (after this I promise you'll love her!!!)

Adult Written bybaileysmovies March 10, 2019

An incredibly moving film that can be appreciated by older teens, but mostly adults.

"A Star is Born" was easily the best movie that I saw in 2018. Everything from the acting to the music to the writing was highly enjoyable and relevant. The best thing about this film is that it will entertain its audience but at the same time it is telling an impacting story that many will find relatable and/or memorable. While the film has several real-life lessons that can apply to a younger audience, it is also riddled with drugs, drinking, swearing, sex, and tragedy from start to finish. And some of the subject matter, although important, might be too heavy for younger kids. The film goes into great detail about depression, substance abuse, childhood neglect, and suicide. Several times the main character Jackson is seen struggling and he talks emotionally about different traumas in his life that would not be fully understood by a child-audience. Drinking and drugs are shown in almost every single scene, and while the film focuses on showing the dangers of substance abuse, some of the scenes get highly disturbing to watch. Aside from the substance abuse, which is probably the "heaviest" part of the film, there are two sex scenes shown. They are not too graphic or drawn out, by Ally's breasts can be seen briefly in the first one. Later on in the film, Ally can also be fully seen naked in a bathtub. And lastly, one of the issues with this movie is the swearing. Now kids hear bad language everywhere, but this film uses the F-word to the point of exhaustion. It is used in an angry and unnecessary matter throughout.

Parent of a 11-year-old Written byNikL March 8, 2019

Moving and poignant

This is a great movie that is aimed at adults and older teenagers. There are a couple of sexual situations - nothing too graphic - and a suicide that happens off camera. There is a lot of drinking, but it is presented as a very negative thing. There is a lot of swearing, but it is authentic to the characters. This might not sound like something you want your kid to watch, but the main theme of this movie is what substance abuse can do to your life. Jackson Maine has success and money and fame, but he uses drugs and alcohol to battle the demons of his childhood. Enter Ally who has her own demons that keep her from pursuing a career as a singer/songwriter. Jackson helps her find the courage to write and perform honestly and she, in turn, gives him the love and acceptance that he so desperately needs. However, not even Ally's love can save Jack. There is a good message here that no matter how much you love and want to help someone, you can not save them. Only the person can save themselves. The acting is excellent and the music is phenomenal. The film would be a good springboard for discussing substance abuse, mental health, and what defines 'success.'

Parent Written bycrankylibrarian March 4, 2019

Powerful yet disturbing version of a familiar tale

Just sat through the encore extended length screening and still bawling. Two remarkable performances by singer turned actor Gaga, and actor turned singer Cooper as the bright young talent and her doomed alcoholic mentor and lover.

I've seen and mildly enjoyed the 3 previous versions, but this one truly wrings the heartstrings. It's less about fame than about the cost of addiction and whether or not to stick with an addicted loved one. Jackson Maine is by far the most sympathetic and lovable version of this character; he is genuinely proud and supportive of Ally (for the most part), and genuinely kind and sweet with almost everyone else (with one notable exception which we'll get to in a moment). Gaga manages what none of the other 3 actresses in this role (Janet Gaynor, Judy Garland or (ugh) Barbra Streisand) achieved: conveying the self-doubt, insecurity and gradual growth in confidence needed to become a star. Ally and Jack are heartbreakingly tender with each other; the look in Cooper's eyes as he summons the strength for their final farewell is gut wrenching.

So...good messages, bad messages. Well, there's the obvious bad one central to the plot: suicide is never the answer: it isn't romantic and it is NOT the best way to "take care of" a loved one. Not only is this unspeakably cruel to the person left behind, it's also insulting. Rather than facing their situation together and giving Ally the choice of whether or not to give up her career for him, Jack makes the decision for her. All suicide survivors face a crushing burden of guilt; to pretty much spell out "I killed myself so you could succeed" would be brutal.

I was torn about the supporting characters. ASIB falls into the tokenizing cliche of showing the straight white, young protagonists are good people by surrounding them with LGBTQ, older, people of color. Ally's best friend is gay and Latino, she hangs out with black drag queens who all adore her; her dad and his mixed race gang of buddies are whimsically retro with their cigarettes and potbellies. Jackson's best friend is a slow talkin' black guy prone to uttering pearls of homespun wisdom around the kitchen table, surrounded by his supportive wife (who is remarkably sanguine about her husband's plastered buddy turning up in the rosebushes) and cute-as-the dickens daughter. That said, all these characters are entertaining and well acted and give us a sense of the lives the central couple will miss out on.

The most troubling side character is Jackson's older half brother Bobby, played by the gravelly and pugnacious Sam Elliot. It takes a while to piece together, but it's clear they both had a troubled relationship with their alcoholic father, and that at some point the brothers were performing (and drinking) together. There is plenty of blame to go around, but in one of the film's most poignant moments, Jack apologizes to Bobby and admits that "Dad wasn't the one I idolized. It was you".

I wouldn't exactly say this story has good messages, but it could provoke some deep conversations with teens about the power and degradation of addiction, and whether love alone can cure it. Jacks' "mean drunk"cruelty to Ally is frighteningly real. She plans to sacrifice her career to save him, so he sacrifices his life to save her. Did either of them make the right choice? What if they had been honest with each other instead of both lying? Should Ally have gotten involved with Jack when his problems were so obvious? And what responsibilities did all those charming supporting characters have, (other than providing a colorful backdrop)? Is Bobby right when he claims, "Know whose fault this was? Jack's. Not yours, not mine, just Jack's".

Other concerns: a LOT of drinking and drug use (duh) but never glamorized, and with the inevitable results made clear. Some chastely filmed partial nudity and implied sex. Punches are thrown; f-bombs are dropped. The moments leading up to Jackson's suicide are disturbing, though the actual death is not shown.

But on the plus side, a soul stirring romance told through soaring music in several genres: country rock, pop dance tunes, Edith Piaf, and unforgettable power ballads. You will yearn for a happy ever after for these two characters, even though you know it is not meant to be.
Adult Written byCharper77 March 3, 2019

The best movie since Titanic

This movie is truly the best love, heart warming, deep feeling & perfect I have Ever saw!! It touched my soul like no other. Both Bradley Cooper & Lady Gaga were flawless in their roles. What a magnificent duo! Utter Magic connection between them. It left my heart wanting to see more. Tears through the entire movie from happiness to every emotion... you two have outdone yourselves

Adult Written byDaWD February 25, 2019

Awesome, yet tragic love story!!!

Very heavy (over 100 uses of f--k, s--t, bi-ch, ass, a--hole, and much more!) Also, lots of sexual references and some scenes. Also, boatloads for drug/alcohol use. Awesome movie, though!

Adult Written byTay Y. February 23, 2019

Wow...

This movie was absolutely amazing!! It is a must watch, and I don't agree with the age rating of R. It really isn't that bad if you have a mature young teen/pre teen. Please don't let the R rating fool you. It's mostly just for drinking and language. PLEASE WATCH!!!