All parent member reviews for A Thousand Words

Adult Written byjoshua martinez June 26, 2012

14 and up.

A Thousand Words is a average and a little touching comedy movie stars with Eddie Murphy and all though the movie does play for laughs it does have some sexual situations and some other family themes that maybe a little too much for your young kids and parents you need to know that a thousand words has some sexual situations like in one scene Caroline is in a dominatrix-style outfit trying to impress jack to work out the relationship between them and asking him to talk dirty but unfortunately it doesn't work due to the fact he can't speak otherwise he'll die there's also some mild language used and some drinking used such as hard liquor, cocktails, vodka, martinis, beer however due to the funny jokes the movie does have a message about that people should think before they speak and not spout so many meaningless lies and the role model is that Caroline is a wonderful mother and a generous wife who tries to work at her marriage and communicating with her husband and Jack goes from being a terrible role model to someone who's discovered the importance of self reflection, thinking before he speaks, and making every word count.
Parent Written byprotectivemom111 March 21, 2012

Totally Inappropriate and borderline-R rated

I just walked my 13 and 16 yr old boys out of the movie due to sexual content and every curse word in the book, including a show of "the finger". I have never walked out of a movie before nor have I ever before asked for a refund from the theater. We stayed in the movie for almost 1 1/2 hrs at which point I had had it. There is a TON of swearing and many, many sexual references. Some of these references even went over my kids' heads, but it doesn't take much of an imagination to figure out what they meant by "doing it on the table" or in other places in the house, for example. When we finally did leave, it was at the point where his wife called him up to a hotel room where she was clad in some little black outfit, standing in the bedroom. He takes off his shirt and she gets behind him and there is a closeup of her removing his belt, his pants fall down, and you see his boxers and she begins caressing his stomach (camera remains zoomed in). Of course during all this there is "sexy" music and sex-talk. That was "it" for me. As I walked out I could hear that nothing else happened, but still. I waited too long to escort my kids out. Previously to this the wife's (girl) friend passed her a bag in the store which contained this outfit though you do not see it - all the while asking her if she's giving it to him good or something along those lines - several comments that were inappropriate for kids to hear, though again depending on your kids' ages it might go over their head. So, what is the purpose of this movie being rated PG-13? Only to corrupt your children. I am extremely disappointed in the producers and Eddie Murphy, and the rating agencies. My husband and I used to love going to see him but no more. Too bad. I usually check Commonsensemedia before going to the movies, but it had not been rated yet. The story line is pretty sad too (pointless). There are many more sexual references I have not mentioned and a whole boatload of cussing. You name the word, and it's in there. I would MAYBE rate this ok for a 17 or 18 yr old but not my kids even when they are 17. I saw one mom covering her 10-yr old's eyes but you cannot escape all the cursing and sex talk. You might feel differently but I choose not to allow my kids to see their parent endorse such exposure.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 23, 2012

a thousand words

Families can talk about A Thousand Words' message of work versus family life. Why do so many movies feature the same basic premise about a workaholic father who finally realizes his family should come first? Starbucks is shown again and again. How do you feel about a brand being so prominently featured in a film? What's the message about how people communicate? How does silence change Jack's perspective and attitude?
Parent Written byalicia37 March 20, 2012

This is a true comedy it is worth going to see

Adult Written byDisplaced Texas Mom March 26, 2012

Worst movie this year.

I should've taken a closer look at the review. Eddie Murphy is obviously the best thing about this movie. However, the language, blasphemy, sexual content, drinking and implied "tree high" ruined the movie for us. During the hotel scene my 12 yr old son put his head down and covered his ears. My 16 yr old daughter closed her eyes as well. It was very uncomfortable for my husband and I. I have taken them to see several pg-13 movies and never expereinced this. I also think that in the end it shows that successful people must be rude, insensitve and self-centered. All of which are group stereotyping and a false message to send to kids. Especially when most parents are trying to teach a good, strong work ethic with morals and integrity. If you want to experince some crude humor Eddie Murphy style with little to no plot and b-rate acting by the supporting cast...you'll love this movie.
Parent Written byRedeemed July 14, 2012

East meets West in A thousand Words

This movie mixes all Eastern and Western "religious and spiritual" ideas together and throws out a message of confusion to say the least. Forgiveness is a great message to send, but we don't get it from trees, and we are NOT one with the creation. The One Triune God is in charge and Creator of all things. We should worship and have a reverential love of God, not His creation. I can not recommend this movie to anyone for any reason.
Parent Written byTRILOGY74 March 26, 2012

EXTREMELY SEXUAL CONTENT, NOT CHILD APPROPRIATE!!!

As a parent that just wanted to enjoy a movie with his daughter and one of her friends, the sex scene "One extended scene of humorous foreplay..." is NOT humorous with or without my 10 yo and her 10 yo friend. I told them to cover there eyes and they did so immediately knowing this is something they should not be seeing. Immediately I realized they could still hear what was being said and it was just as bad as what they were seeing if not worse. I told them to go get a drink and they jumped up and went quickly. My daughter (especially with a friend) is not one to jump until I say jump 4-5 times, both times they both knew what they were seeing was bad. I am outraged that this is rated PG-13 I realize she is not 13 but a PG-13 movie does not have this kind of language or sexual content!
Educator and Parent of a 6 and 15 year old Written byImportantParent January 19, 2014

SUCKy

ONLY GOOD PART WAS JAK MCBRAIER. EVERY1 ELES WAS BAD. NOT FOR CHILDREN I ALSO DID NOT LET MY HUSBADN WATCH DIS. VERY BAD