Parent reviews for A Week Away

Feel-good faith-based camp musical is clean and upbeat.

Adult Written byAmazingGrace01 March 31, 2021

Not Exactly A Christian Film

It's more of a motivational film teaching positive living. Its contradicting since it motivates Jesus and His amazing grace, yet advises to look to self and others for grace, motivation and conviction rather then God. It also seems to speak in ways that deny repentance meanwhile expecting repentance like with Will's behavior for example and it denies amazing grace in the sense that it influences we can change or save ourselves rather than God. A majority of their views are secular or like those who are newer in the faith. Overall, it was okay, but in need of faithful growth. God bless everyone.

Adult Written byjjordy232 March 27, 2021

I don’t think I would call this a “Christian” movie

While the show is set at a “Christian” camp, very few of the events actually focus on God. Mostly, it’s just stuff anyone would do at any camp. Jesus is never mentioned once, and salvation nor damnation is ever mentioned. They did sing a couple songs, but even when “Christian” characters describe their faith it’s vague and generic, using words like “connection” or “part of something bigger”. It just felt like they exposed all of the (sadly true) negatives of the Christian lifestyle without any of the positive. The movie very oddly also seemed centered on having fun rather than getting closer to God.
Adult Written byGabby721 March 28, 2021

Review

This is a clean feel good movie true. However, it misses many elements of true christinanity and what salvation is. A few songs mention God's name but so what? Any programme could have done that. I think it very shallow at best and pales in comparison to movies such as War Room, Fireproof and God's not Dead 1&2. They could have done a lot better. Its a 1 from me. The lead returns to the camp because of God? No. Based on his memory a girl. Somehow Jesus and his compassion and mercy was lost in all the dancing, games and singing. Just a nother High School Musical.

Adult Written bytangel10 April 1, 2021

Great family friendly film!

Our girls love this movie so much they have watched it 3 times this weekend! It is basically High School musical but with great 90's Christian music hits! Nostalgic for parents! hah
We truly appreciate a movie that we can watch as a family!

Adult Written byctthrasher March 29, 2021

Fun Family Musical

Excellent family film. Especially if you are familiar with Chrisitan worship songs, both old and new. Wholesome, great message, and enjoyable to watch with the whole family.

Adult Written byMerMerBennett March 27, 2021

Fun for the FAMILY

If you are tired of Netflix shows and movies for kids that are inappropriate, you’ll like this movie. It does say it’s a “Christian” movie (and if you were a Christian kid in the 1990s, you’ll love the music), I would say if you’re not anti-Christian, you would probably still like this movie. We loved it!
Adult Written byCrissy11 April 8, 2021

Very Family Friendly!

Like many others have already stated, I would not consider this a Christian film. However, I don’t think that detracts from the positive message that focuses, even though a little loosely, on God.
Is it 100% Bible based, with an altar call at the end? No. But it doesn’t need to be.
We need more God and Christ centered films for sure, but they don’t all need to be The Passion of Christ, War Room, Left Behind, or Veggie Tales. This movie hits a demographic that desperately needs relevant content that isn’t just preaching at them, but encouraging and empowering them to want to grow more in God.
I personally believe this movie does that and is exactly the kind of film that young people need!

Adult Written byDani_59 March 29, 2021

Awesome movie!

This was a great movie and is what you wish movies were still like!

Adult Written byPickymom79 March 27, 2021

Christian musical for families

This movie checks the boxes for Christian film, musical, and cute teen drama. It's basically the High School Musical or Descendants set at a teen Christian Camp. The kids get positive messages about friendship and truth while enjoying upbeat music and dance. While it may seem predictable or hokey to some adults, it's the genre mold and meant to be an easy going family watch. The bonus is that the music is redone from the 90s, giving parents familiar tunes in a more modern way.

Adult Written byDoyhea April 4, 2021

Great movie for tweens

The movie followed the very popular teen musical genre, yet had a Christian message that no other teen musicals have. It was fun, upbeat, and my kids loved it! I'm so happy the Netflix made this movie!
Adult Written byBeardedYeti92 April 2, 2021

Refreshing

This move is fantastic for children. Especially for a Netflix original. Not a Christian film but was surprised that they mentioned God so much especially since Netflix is such a Godless company.

Adult Written byAlick-Rinel March 28, 2021

Fantastic and good clean fun

Adult Written byilovejesussomuch April 10, 2021
Very fun movie. My whole family smiled and laughed the whole way through. It kind of makes fun of itself along the way, which is hilarious. I rated it for kids as low as 3 year olds, although not every 3 year old would get it, because we've had foster kids that young, and they love high energy music like this and get the jist of this story. I'd be careful about criticizing it for being un-Christian. It definitely is not a movie that presents come-to-Jesus conversion for the main character. I see the movie as presenting Christian camp from the viewpoint of the main character (for whom the theology undergirding the love he is experiencing goes over his head and isn't something he notices) than a number of critics that I have seen elsewhere on the internet give it credit for. It struck me as being true to the experience of a number of youth who encounter intense Christian community at camp for the first time. While some youth do get it right away and the first act of God in the youth's life is dramatic conversion in one week, for others a lot of the full message goes over their heads and the work of God in their life is more like a first step of deciding that there is something about this community that is different, that it is a place where they are safe enough to actually believe they are loved and to want to connect. That is, frankly, a huge miracle in the life of a foster kid who has been in 22 homes, like the main character in this story. That being more of the story line, the movie is not evangelizing the audience. The movie is not a theological teaching tool to explain to a non-Christian who Jesus is. I don't think that makes it un-Christian, though. In short, this is a very fun movie that tells experience of Christian camp from a perspective of a resistant, nonChristian foster kid, and it blessed me.

Adult Written by1LoveMykids1 April 4, 2021

DISAPPOITED Kevin Quinn AND Bailee Madison

This movie I thought was going to be the netflix high school musical but think again and what is it with everything being tv-pg think again netflix think again perents before you let your kids watch this.

Adult Written byKat_m84 April 4, 2021

Love it!

This film gets better every time we watch it! A perfect feel good film for Easter weekend!