All parent member reviews for Act of Valor

Parent Written byfrancecl February 27, 2012

Fathers Bring your 12-yr Olds to this Movie!

This is a great movie, but I disagree that it is for adults only. Here’s my review of “Acts of Valor”. I wanted my son who will be 13 in two months to see it for the reasons I’ll list. Well, this caused a huge fight with my wife because a 12 yr old was going to an R movie. She did not want him seeing the violence or hearing the language—12 is too young! First let me address the language and the violence that I knew would be present with Navy SEALS. Our kids are in the world, but not of the world. I can’t help but think that the 12 yr old Jesus heard some things and saw some things that His mother probably didn’t want him to see when he wandered off to instruct the Jewish leaders, or David when he was hanging out with his brother’s killing lions, bears, and eventually Goliath, or the teenagers of the American Revolution fighting with their Dad’s for their freedom. I did tell him I don’t expect to hear those words coming out of his mouth. If we don’t lead our sons, then yes all they will do is watch Sponge Bob and play Modern Warfare 3 on Xbox. Our sons do not become men at 18 when the State says so; they start at 12-13 when their fathers lead by example. I think if our sons wait until they are 17 to see this film, it is too late. They need to see it now if they are in the 12-13 range to be that man when they are 18. What did I talk about with my son before/after the movie and what did he see modeled on the screen? Duty - always do the right thing, even if you don’t feel like it. Discipline – forming right habits everyday lead to a very effective life (and SEAL missions) Honor – seek honor not for yourself, but for God & Country Freedom – is not free. Are we Americans still willing to fight and die for our freedom? Family – Always take care of your families so the govt does not have to. US Constitution – is under attack and still worthy of our defense Liberty vs. Tyranny & Marxism – A 12 yr old can understand only so much of this but you’d be surprised how much they understand if you ask them questions. Sacrifice – It’s unnatural to give your life for someone else, but that is exactly what Jesus asks us to do. Scripture – Do we think our founding fathers just made up the constitution and liberty? No way, they are absolutely founded by Godly people who had scripture coursing through their veins. Protection & Respect for Women – As young men start noticing the opposite sex and vice versa, they need to treat the woman in their life with love & respect and not treat them as toys. Notice how the SEAL covered the woman to protect her modesty. Current threats against our country from without and within – and how he may be called on one day to fight for our freedom. I can’t help but think of Paul when he said, “When I was a child, I talked like a child, thought like a child, reasoned like a child, but when I became a man, I put away the childish things.” Going from a child to a man, is not like flipping on a light switch or crossing a calendar date. It is a process that begins at 12-13. Ever wonder why the Jewish people have a bar mitzvah at 12-13? Or why Jesus went to the temple at 12? Jesus Christ – there is no greater Demonstrator of acts of valor than our Lord. My hope is that our sons are being conformed to His image. The good, by far, outweighed the language and violence which is why we went. And as soon as it’s out on DVD, I’ll have this in my home library and Amazon cloud.
Parent Written byTeeCee March 6, 2012

Surprising, I loved it

Depending on the maturity of your 12 year old, i have no regrets about taking my son to see this movie. I hate gore and violence and often have to cover my eyes in movies. Rarely did i have to during Act of Valor. Yes, there is a ton of graphic violence but i discussed that with my 12 year old son beforehand. He knows not to use the language that he heard and that in those situations, that language is used. After seeing this movie, i was surprised to have liked it as much as i did. I went only because my son wanted so badly to see it. It is his dream to be a Navy SEAL someday. Turned out, i liked it as much as he did. When i asked his opinion of the movie afterwards, he used one word. Inspiring. I find that it made me respect, even more than i did before, all that these men do and give to protect our country. It was an honor, as an American, to see just a bit of what they are willing to take on for our freedom and safety.
Parent Written byMickel February 25, 2012

US Navy Seals not good role models? Really?

I registered just so I can throw the BS flag on giving this movie 2/5 on role models. I cannot fathom how real life US Navy Seals aren't exemplary role models. Bizarre.
Adult Written by007isback February 27, 2012

Great Movie!

Jeffrey Anderson would rather have your kids see Brokeback Mountain or watch "My Dad Is Pregnant" on MSNBC as those types of characters represent Mr. Andersons ideal rolemodels for children and society.
Parent Written byTexasGadget August 21, 2012

Real Valor is Biblical

This movie accurately depicts a little taste of war and true valor. Why should Christians go to war? Why should ANYONE fight? Because they love their family and country. They believe in what is right, and oppose what is wrong. This depicts true American heroes fighting for right and justice. These guys are good role models. The language is minor, especially compared to what military personnel actually say in the field, and the violence is to be expected since it is war. This violence is minor compared to the violence in the Bible, where hundreds of thousands die in battles, or in the death of Goliath, where David severed his head and carried it through the streets rejoicing. We should rejoice like this movie does at the valor, sacrifice, and victory of our soldiers. Just as our Lord Jesus died for use, standing in the gap between us and hell, these men stand in the gap for our families and freedom. They fight for what is right. Real actors would have ruined the movie. Inexperienced actors showed the realism of the battle scenes in their training, and did not detract from the movie because their battle experience increased the realism of the fake battle scenes. Actors over-react while real heroes act with true valor and courage. They might not quote lines with realism, but that's an acceptable trade-off. Other Hollywood battle scenes are unrealistic, fake, and not gut wrenching. These Seals moved me to appreciate their abilities and self-sacrificing courage. I thank them.
Adult Written byNavyBrat04 March 2, 2012

The Best Movie I Have Seen Since Ive Been Able To Watch Movies!!!

I can relate to this movie because my father is active in the Navy. And everything that they go through the parents and the kids go threw the same. It is a very inspiring movie and I recommend it to anyone.
Parent Written byNativeWNC March 1, 2012

For All

To all those complaining about the movie being violent or the language consider the type of movie it is. As for the language, kids hear far more in public, at school, and yes even on the video games at home. Its not what your child sees or hears its how as parents you teach them right from wrong. Hearing or seeing wrong doesnt make a bad person, a bad person emerges when good people do nothing. I would rather have my child watch how True American heroes fight and die for our country and their freedoms as I had encourage watching something like Broke Back Mtn or others stating same sex and no faith is OK.
Adult Written bydarthsitkur February 21, 2013

this is the third best war movie ever

act of valor is badass, it's got tons of awesome action, and the final shootout during the last few minutes is wicked intense, I mean bullets are flying everywhere during it lol
Parent Written byYasarn Vennaram October 12, 2012

WARRIOR ETHOS

I disagree with comments made by Jeffery M. Anderson...Firstly the hand-held camera work was done on purpose to give a sense of realism in many scene's . I also disagree that the editing was choppy, yes perhaps in some parts...I dont see how the use of Violence in a war film can be shielded any more...there have been a plethora of movies made which are far far more intense and graphic such as "Saving Private Ryan" not to mention the hundres of disgusting horror movies made throughout time. The acting by the SEALS is not bad considering they are professional actors...The movie does stand out due to the SEALS participation due to the precise dialoge used by them, the operational scenes are precise in detail as is the use of weapons displayed. The bond formed and displayed between the SEALS Is a accurate depiction...Over all a armchair critic as all movie critics are, do not posses the ability to judge a movie objectively as personal opinion rules there Reviews. LT CAPTAIN Yasarn Lazalo Vennaram HU-CO 4TH SPATZLO COMMAND
Parent of a 13 year old Written byluvdasox July 9, 2012

Powerful Message

Yes, this movie is very violent. After all it is about the NAVY Seals! And the acting isn't very good, however, I think the message outweighs the actions. I thought it sent a powerful message about the sacrifices our military makes each and every day. My boys (age 11 and 14) loved it and I thought they learned a valuable lesson.