Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for A.D.: The Bible Continues

Faithful drama doesn't shy from Bible's bloodiest moments.

Adult Written byNorton N. January 7, 2018

A Historical Failure

A.D. has a good biblical script, but its secular history is a flop. The Apostle John and Mary were not black. Apostle Simeon the Canaanite was black, but in all probability Phillip was not black. The major historical flaw is their depiction of Caligula succeeding Tiberius. Trajan succeeded Tiberius. Caligula succeeded Marcus Aurelius much later after 170 A.D. That was a major, major historical error, but the ignorant were, nonetheless, probably well entertained.
Adult Written byMomof1kiddo January 9, 2019

Everything gratuitous but the Gospel

We were really excited to get this series, but midway through the second disk, we are actually debating whether or not to continue. There's no way we'll allow our sensitive son to watch this while he's a child. We know that violence and horrific conditions were reality under Roman rule, but what struck me most was that the message of the Gospel as preached by Jesus and later by his disciples was cut short and left a person longing to hear more, while the violence was never in short supply. The violence was constant, gratuitous, and not healthy for anyone to have in their mind and heart. I get that perhaps they were trying to prevent a "been there, done that" experience that can happen when one has grown up in a church pew and read the Bible their whole lives, but there is a fine line between portraying the story in a vivid way and being able to do it in a way that fulfills the admonition of Philippians 4:8. There were also issues with some of the historical details that could have been better. Overall, as a parent, this is not something I'd ever want my child to watch, and as an adult, I'm not sure I should continue to watch it. And after reading a review about sex and a rape shown, I'm really wondering. It's possible to portray the truth without putting images that are ultimately unhealthy and evil in a person's mind. This movie fails in that department, and I'm disappointed that the Plugged In review we read failed to really outline what we'd see. As Christians, I don't think this movie is one I can recommend to another Christian. And when considering it as a way to share Jesus with those who don't know Him, I'm not sure this is a great tool for that either.