Kid reviews for A.I.: Artificial Intelligence

A.I.: Artificial Intelligence Poster Image

Sad and thought provoking

AI: Artificial Intelligence is an incredibly sad, slow and thought provoking film about a realistic robot boy who just wants to become “real” so his “mommy” will love him. It is a lot like the story Pinocchio and often references it. There is not loads of violence in this film but there is quite a lot: A boy accidentally tries to drown another boy without realising what he is doing. Mechas (the robots) are rounded up by a circus called flesh fair. The Mechas are destroyed in horrible ways: shot through flame and then a propeller, pulled apart limb from limb, melted by acid, etc, etc). A Mecha’s head is smashed by another Mecha and a woman is seen with a slit throat in her bed (blood seen) There is a lot of sexual content with one of the main characters being a “lover robot” ( basically a robot prostitute). You first see him flirting with a woman in her bedroom. They kiss in her bed and then the scene cuts. Young adults are bribed with sex (implied by a character shining a hologram of a scantily clad woman dancing and then moving it to rest over his genitals). A character talks about women that he has slept with and starts making moaning noises whilst walking. Overall this is a brilliant film for tweens and slightly younger.

Scary!

Ok so, I actually thought this movie was scary. My dad is watching this right now as I’m writing this review. I thought the little thing (I don’t know how to describe it) was scary looking. And then I come to this website and then I see that the person who directed this garbage is the same person who directed Jurassic Park! I’m like what! Ok so, I wouldn’t recommend this movie to anyone.

Don't bother. Very dark and disturbing movie.

This movie is very dark and disturbing. David is obnoxious and taunts his "brother."

Very good but mature and intense.

Horrible and depressing movie!!

A.I. Artificial intelligence is a bleak movie. It has barely any violence, the sexual content wasn't really that bad and language was nothing, but it's just... too bleak. DO NOT WATCH!!!!!!!!

Stanley Kubrick would have been proud, but the saddest film I've seen in years.

A.I. was originally an uncompleted Stanley Kubrick project; traces of 2001: A Space Odyssey are obviously scattered throughout. It is brought to life by none other than Steven Spielberg himself, and doesn't fail to deliver the innovative thought and provocative aftershock that would be expected from a collaboration between two of the greatest minds in sci-fi history. However, the film begins slightly flatly, and feels like a children's movie from the beginning. This vibe lingers even as the plot's maturity climbs, and may leave you with a bit of prejudice for some of the movie's best scenes. In the beginning of the film, its protagonist, David(a robotic child), is cold and mechanical, obviously faking emotions. By the end, he is thoroughly human, perhaps more so than some of the film's flesh-and-blood characters. Despite its undoubted quality, A.I. is incredibly sad. There are melancholy scenes throughout the film, and the last act of the movie can be described as nothing less than heart-rending, to the point of cruelty. It left me unbearably depressed, and has brought me closer to tears than any other movie I have ever watched. Parents should know that a major character in the film is the robotic Gigolo Joe(the name says it all). He is seen frankly(or at least with a frank pretence) comforting a client who is unsure about sex with machines, and they proceed to get down to business. The following scene is cut short; nothing is genuinely seen. Joe repeatedly uses innuendo throughout the film, and often brags about his skill in his 'profession'. At a 'flesh fair', a show where robots are destroyed in several grotesque ways, we see faces melting, mechanical limbs tearing and robots being fired out of cannons and into spinning fans; the burning, lifeless face of the latest victim of this form of torture is seen hitting the bars of the cage the protagonist is currently in, and sliding down slowly. A slightly creepy scene near the end, with a workshop full of half-built robots. Overall, great philosophical science-fiction drama, but leaves you with a punch in the stomach and a big tub of chocolate ice-cream to eat your feelings out of.

This was awesome! And disturbing

This movie was great with the exception of some slightly disturbing material. I really enjoyed it and the content wasn't all that bad either. I think its more so how David is depicted, the jealously of the brother, so on. It was really good but really disturbing in weird ways too.

Ridiculous and drawn out!

The first hour of this movie was good and entertaining. After that, things got ridiculous and it was way, way, way too drawn out. Violence- 5/10. Robots are discriminated against and killed. Sex- 5/10. Lots of sexual themes although nothing is shown. Language- 3/10. A couple swear words.

A.I.: could be worse

A.I. is a somewhat thought-provoking Spielberg sci-fi that aims to come up with an age appropriate version of Bladerunner, but it falls short of that. The acting was great, but the storyline is cliche in places, and the ending goes on and on, as if each scene is trying to outdo the last at becoming a tearjerker . Jude Law’s charactor is, to say the least, disturbing. He starts out the flim as a male prostitute ( a robot, like many of the others in the film) who is obviously not at the height of his life, and you start to assume he is the villian of the film, but then Spielberg wants us to resonate with him and see him as a loving and gentle person as the new caretaker of the protagonist. The robots are killed in various ways, sometimes gruesomely in one scene, and there are several instances of sexual innuendo, that, while pretty tame, are still slightly eyebrow raising ( the male prostitute, named gigolo Joe, is very willing to make very crass refrences right in front of a 6 year old kid). This movie, although it offers an insightful view on what the world might be like in the near future, is not as artistic or beautiful as other sci-fi movies available.