All parent member reviews for Akeelah and the Bee

Parent of a 6 and 7 year old Written byH2Clark November 23, 2010

We were on the edge of our seats!

I liked that his movie was a drama and not a cartoon, or comedy for kids. This movie had all of us on the edge of our seats at the very end. My 6yo lost interest and was playing on the iPod by the end of the movie. But for my 8yo and husband we loved this and will be watching it again. The language mention of s!@t at the beginning was quick and nothing my kid haven't over heard from other adults!
Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe October 6, 2010

Great movie, positive messages! Inspiring story of a girl from bad circumstances who rises above them to achieve her goal. A must see for families.
Adult Written bykwbrubaker April 9, 2008

Parent of a 1, 8, and 11 year old Written bylazymomma August 8, 2010

Our family watched it last night and loved it. Yes there were a couple of words my children are not allowed to use, but they hear those words on the school bus anyway, and at least this provided an opportunity to remind them that those words are unacceptable. I think it was good to see that all children do not grow up with the benefits that they (our children) have, and that by working hard you can achieve positive outcomes.
Educator and Parent Written bybeccaincameroon August 5, 2013

Great Film, but should not watch without language filter

We are very careful with what we let our children watch. I will say right up front that if we had not used a TV Guardian we could have never watched this with our entire family. However, aside from the bad language, this film was wonderful! There were many teaching moments and of course we enjoyed rooting for Akeelah! There is one scene where Fishburne is drinking - though most kids wouldn't even realize what he was drinking, and another scene where Akeelah's mom is smoking, but these are very small parts of the film that don't detract in any way from the message. My youngest, just turned 7, was engrossed the entire time. She is now going around the house jump-roping and "spelling" made-up words. :)
Educator and Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bykitkat2 October 2, 2012

Most inspiring family movie we have seen in a while.

My husband and I watched this film with our two children (5 and 8) and we absolutely loved it. All four of us were sitting on the edge of our seats until the end. I was surprised at how my 5 year old boy who is in Pre-K (and is dying to learn how to read) was captivated by the story. The way Akeelah stands up to the bullies and pursues her dreams was very inspiring for my daughter. Akeelah develops new friendships but very importantly she does not forget or neglect the friendship she had with a girl before the contest. All these messages were so relevant and powerful for my 8 year old daughter. Wish there were more family films like this one...
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 4, 2012

akeelah and the bee

Families can talk about the importance of pursuing one's interests and dreams, especially as this can inspire collaborations. How does Akeelah's success inspire others to feel part of a group, as her spelling becomes a community project? How can you be true to lost loved ones by moving forward into the future?
Educator and Parent Written bychristian-witness June 28, 2012

ok

Adult Written byNew_Ark December 3, 2011

One Word - Empowering

This movie has a variety of messages. Particularly one message is that communities must stick together to see true, positive change. Thumbs up!!!
Parent of a 9 year old Written bymarvelousmom August 2, 2011

Great movie, but some language.

Great movie, but it contains inappropriate language. There are two scenes where a girl kisses a boy, and one scene where the boy says "Are you going to sue me for sexual harassment?". In one scene the main character is getting bullied at school. These things made me uncomfortable at first but there were some very positive messages and good karma.
Parent of a 6, 8, and 9 year old Written byMs. Jess February 25, 2010

Adult Written bygamenerd323 February 11, 2010

Despite some language (that all teens use) it is an excellent drama for the family

Educator and Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byKrystina January 29, 2010

Good message, but a good bit of mild language

Language is mostly in the first half of the movie, but there are several places where someone says a mild curse.
Adult Written bycrackerjack5 January 21, 2010

Very inspiring!

An excellent movie with positive role models for middle-school children. I wish I had seen this when I was younger; I would have worked harder for my school Spelling Bee (I came in 2nd place). I didn't find anything wrong with this movie, but little kids might be bored.
Adult Written byPL Hans April 27, 2009

Some language, but not a big problem

Violence: 3/10-Talk of tragic deaths, young girl bullied Sex/Nudity: 1/10-One sexual joke Language: 4/10-one "s" word, everything else milder
Adult Written bylsdgls January 24, 2009

beware--bad langauge

The teacher in my child's fourth grade class sent a letter of apology home after starting this movie in class. Think twice about these reviews because this movie is not what it seems. Take the time to see it first!
Adult Written byautumng82506 April 9, 2008

Adult Written byPal101 April 9, 2008

Adult Written byGhcool April 9, 2008

Adult Written byJulie45 April 9, 2008

Best this year!!!

Watch this movie with your children or watch it alone. But watch it. Great story, well acted, super direction, and a lesson to boot. be cautious if you are at all uncomforable about foul talk as some is used.