Parent reviews for Aladdin

Aladdin Poster Image

Shark Tale Genie

Entertaining for the whole family!

This was an awesome movie- very funny and entertaining for myself and kids. Will Smith as the genie was hilarious, and the music was fantastic! I believe the story has positive role models, is still appropriate for kids yet contains humor that even adults find funny.

Really good update on the classic!!

As someone who grew up with the original, I really liked this update on the classic! It has the things you remember from the original, at the same time they added some new elements here and there and put up the events in a little different order. I liked that, it gave you a whole new experience. And Will Smith did an excellent job doing his own thing as the Genie! The songs might not have the same fast paced energy as the animated one, but they're still good, and it's live action! It's supposed to look a little different! And the comedy between Jafar and Iago are completely left out here, but that's ok since I don't think it would have worked so well for live action. I also like how they are portraying the culture and people a little better here in this version, with the details. And Jasmine is a strong leader here which I think works very well and her new song is absolutely amazing! And it is also a very lighthearted movie, just like the original. What more can I say, highly recommend this new movie to you and your family! :)

Great messages, a little scary for young kids.

Amazing. But it is truly intense, with some scary scenes. It could be 8 and up, but I think 7 and up is ok too.

Special effects and live action make this movie "feel more intense" than the cartoon original. There are chases; falls; and near deaths. The Cave of Wonders crumbles and spits lava; a giant bird chases the characters; guards are armed with weapons; and there are references to dead parents. Language in this film is very mild, with a few insult words: "street rat" is included. Characters flirt and kiss and Genie smokes a couple of cigars and drinks alcohol.

Awful. Skip it and watch the original.

Rushed story, bad CGI effects, horrific auto-tuned vocals. It’s a shame it shares it’s name with the wondrous, excellent original 1992 classic.

So great! I didn't think it could be better than the original, but it was!

Great upgrade on the music and Will Smith is respectful to Robin Williams' original, but definitely makes it his own. My 9 yo and I loved the movie and listen to the album again and again.

lots of sorcery and creepy not child friendly!

I watched this with my 8 year old thinking it was going to be cute just like the Disney movie however I was pretty shocked and disappointed! It’s creepy so much so that it was pretty intense especially the sorcery in this movie! I don’t recommend this movie for any child. I feel like it’s more an adult movie or a highly mature teen.

Perfect family film!

A perfect family film. I didn't know what to expect because I'd heard some bad reviews (all unfounded) but both myself and my whole family were enthralled by this film. It has all the ingredients for a quality film, great characters, great acting, a tried and tested story, gripping, bags of laugh out load humour and visually awesome. Its magic and has left us all feeling on a high.

Super fun Family Movie - Not as Scary as the Original

My kids (5, 7, & 9) enjoyed this movie very much. I said age 8+ because I do think it is likely more appropriate for those ages, but my daughters (ages 5 &7) both enjoyed it and were not scared (even the 7-year-old who is most scared of scary images in movies). I read reviews that said the sorcery was "too much" but my kids and I both thought it was less scary than the original (scary parts in the first: dead lady when Genie says he can't bring anyone back from the dead, the cave of wonders/tiger, Jafar turning into a serpent that looks like Satan - Disney did a great job of NOT doing these things in this version). Lots of fun, great music & dancing. Adults and kids alike will enjoy it. Certainly there is good vs evil which always a good opportunity to talk about greed, evil, etc.