Parent reviews for Aladdin

Live-action remake has charming stars, intense moments.

Parent Written byKristen S. June 2, 2019

Sorcery was too much!

I'm glad that I read one reviewer who shared my viewpoint. This movie was very well done. I really enjoyed the acting and the songs and the plot was kept similar to the original. Loved the strong female role and the emphasis on that! However, I can't really recommend the movie because the character of Jafar was way too eerie! The sorcery was disturbing - even more than in the original. I took my 7 year old son to see it in the recommendation of Movieguide, which did not even mention this as an issue. He commented that he never would have wanted to see it in 3D. I will have to warn my 10 year old daughter, who gets nightmares, that every time Jafar's eyes glow, she will need to turn away. The last half hour of the movie was the most eerie. The cave of wonders was also very intense!

Adult Written byConcernedMother101 May 26, 2019

Very enjoyable FAMILY movie!!!

There was no bad language--THANK YOU Disney! I do not recall any swearing or taking the Lord's name in vain.

The Genie (Will Smith) brought lots of smiles and laughter!

Jasmine's clothes were beautiful and covered her up...no mid-section showing --Thank you!

The only "dark/scary" part was towards the end with Jafar and his Genie wishes.

Happy happy ending!!! Great job to Guy Ritchie for directing such a nice FAMILY film. I can not wait to go and see it again very very soon!

Parent of a 7-year-old Written byAsilenv May 26, 2019

Great family movie with a strong Jasmine

Aladdin was much better than expected. Very colorful movie, with many funny parts, great songs and beautiful scenes. I loved how they portrayed Jasmine as a strong woman, who wants to lead. Will Smith as the genie was great. There’s a lot of action and some scenes where characters are in danger that may a bit stressful for very sensitive kids. We saw the 3D version and although it was nice , the 2d version will be just fine for this movie. A very clean, safe and fun bet for a family afternoon at the movies this Memorial Day weekend and beyond.

Adult Written bynicolem_animefan May 28, 2019

I can't believe parents are praising this film.

Oh, boy. Where to begin. Aladdin was by far my FAVORITE Disney movie as a kid-it had positive messages, great cinematography/music, strong character arcs, and, most importantly, 2D ANIMATION, which created an experience that no other film could capture. I'm now 26. This movie was AWFUL. Such a disgrace to Howard Ashman's legacy. Cheap-looking costumes, lifeless camera-work, clunky stunt doubles, and heavily autotuned songs (with the exception of Scott as Jasmine). What breaks my heart is how so many people are praising this film, especially how the character of Jasmine is portrayed as a positive role model. Let me tell you, I am a feminist and I felt her character was very poorly portrayed. Separating this from the original film, there are very little scenes in this movie that SHOW her taking action to change her circumstances. It's fine to change her character arc slightly to have ambitions and want a career (by the way, people, her original ambition in the 1992 version was NOT to have a man, but freedom. She didn't even want the crown! I am so SICK of people bashing Disney's classics about how women were powerless and lovesick without even bothering to understand the context, yet Frozen's Anna, who is even MORE obsessed with boys, is praised), but one little scene at the end where she stands up to her advisor while sitting in the palace pondering about Aladdin the rest of the film is not enough to justify this new arc. In the original, Jasmine shows sprit, courage, and fights back for what she wants. Here, she sings about how "Speechless" she is and just waits around for Aladdin. Beautiful song, but completely out of context here. For such a powerful women, in the beginning we even see her being afraid to jump across the building with the pole saying "oh my gosh I can't do this!!" Where in the original, she does it no problem. Jasmine aside, important scenes are cut and unnecessarily swapped around, such as how Aladdin and Jasmine meet up immediately in the beginning of this film. This ruins their potential chemistry and build-up to their stories. Why cut out the scene with Jasmine and the birdcage, or the scene when Aladdin gets pushed down and laughed at by the townspeople (One Jump Ahead Reprise?) Those scenes showed symbolism, foreshadowing and why their struggles made them so compatible. There's nothing wrong with falling in love and finding your best friend admidst your own respective personal journey, and the original Aladdin portrayed Jasmine and Aladdin as equals. Not so here.

One trend I notice with these live action remakes is that so much dialogue is crammed into each scene (with the addition of unnecessary backstory), to the point where the story TELLS, not SHOWS. The subtlety of the 1992 film where every pause, every movement, the soft romantic music and the beats of the way the camera showed expression on character's faces is replaced with speedy, zippy dialogue (which isn't organic or funny). On another side note, the portrayal of Jafar in this film was terrible. Where was the funny dialogue showing his maniacal tendencies? The scene where he turns into an old man? What about the huge climax where Aladdin fights Jafar and comes to terms with himself? Nope. Couldn't even give us that. And the Genie-don't even get me started on the Genie. His whole arc was changed from being free to see the world and being a kind mentor to Aladdin to pushing Aladdin aside so he could go "party with a women." The core values are still somewhat here, such as being true to yourself, the consequences of dishonesty, and having ambition, but they are watered down with the omission of certain scenes to the point where the story feels so hallow. I'm sorry to say that not even Will Smith, Mena Massoud and Naomi Scott's talents could save this souless cash-grab.

Parents, do yourself a favor and turn on the original. We should not be afraid to show our children fairy tales. Our kids are smart.

Parent of a 4-year-old Written byJkwillia June 20, 2019

NOT the Aladdin you remember as a kid!

Horrifically scary, violent, scenes with real-life peril. Terribly frightening. THIS IS NOT a kids movie!!! I am so disappointed. Aladdin was one of my favorite movies as a child - I couldn’t wait to share it with my kids. I left worried sick I had traumatized both of them...we couldn’t even make it through to the end. I kept thinking it would get better, but the incredible level of violence, danger, and peril just kept increasing. Not even that funny. I said ages 9 and up, but know that this film was too violent for me as a grown adult!!!

Adult Written bycterry98 June 2, 2019

Aladdin

loved it will Smith did an awesome job
Parent of a 9 and 12-year-old Written bykimaya May 26, 2019

awesome

Better than the original. Very adventurous and exciting. One of the best movies I have ever seen.
Parent of a 13-year-old Written byMrqzfamilia May 26, 2019

Fun for the whole family

I was skeptical going into the movie, but my entire family left entertained and laughing. It was great watching a movie with strong female and male heroes. It was also nice to see a cast made up of people of color.

Adult Written byBigMom3 November 29, 2019

Princess Jasmine

The girl who played princess Jasmine (Naomi Scott) did a wonderful job! She is by far the most talented one in the movie. I really recommend it!

Adult Written byEsme F. December 31, 2019

Parents...

Look i understand you think the original movie is better, well some of you do. But the original had people of no color everyone was white, I mean i get that you don't actually see the people but you might as well make it people of color! By far this is one of the BEST movies of 2019! I bought my boys this for Christmas because they absolutely loved it! The only scary part was Jafar at the end. And yes i get the old one was less inappropiate but there was only ONE joke not very appropiate. And honestly it wasn't very offensive. This movie Jasmine actually had girl power. Maybe 2019 is better then 1990s or when the original one came out! Y'all need to chill and calm down!

Adult Written byIlovethebackies November 11, 2019

It’s cute

It’s cute. Mena Massoud, who plays as Aladdin is so cute.

Parent of a 8-year-old Written bySean O. September 29, 2019

Lot are to Like But Jafar Goes Too Far

There is so much to like about it. Aladdin is great and Jasmine too. They have better singing voices than the original animated flick. Cool camera work typical of Guy Ritchie. Scenes with Jafar get way too intense. Very loud, dark. It made my daughter go from joy to tears of terror. You can always fast forward through most intense stuff towards the end.
Parent of a 9-year-old Written byCrystal Blxck September 20, 2019

Best movie. My kids LOVE it.

My kids love live action and they love Aladdin so its like the perfect match! I personally think it is perfect for ALL ages. So, yeah. Kids love it, I love it, everyone loves it!

Adult Written byHolly R. June 2, 2019

Another terrible remake by Disney...

Special effects were ugly. Did not add anything worthwhile to it's namesake original. It was worse than the original. Will Smith was just terrible as the Genie. Stick with the original movie. It's shorter and not mindless cash grabbing garbage like this movie is.

Parent Written byhannah1991 August 29, 2020
Special effects and live action make this movie "feel more intense" than the cartoon original. There are chases; falls; and near deaths. The Cave of Wonders crumbles and spits lava; a giant bird chases the characters; guards are armed with weapons; and there are references to dead parents. Language in this film is very mild, with a few insult words: "street rat" is included. Characters flirt and kiss and Genie smokes a couple of cigars and drinks alcohol.

Adult Written byAllAges August 14, 2020

Awful. Skip it and watch the original.

Rushed story, bad CGI effects, horrific auto-tuned vocals. It’s a shame it shares it’s name with the wondrous, excellent original 1992 classic.
Adult Written bytrying2Bhelpful July 6, 2020

So great! I didn't think it could be better than the original, but it was!

Great upgrade on the music and Will Smith is respectful to Robin Williams' original, but definitely makes it his own. My 9 yo and I loved the movie and listen to the album again and again.

Adult Written byKayvm June 14, 2020

lots of sorcery and creepy not child friendly!

I watched this with my 8 year old thinking it was going to be cute just like the Disney movie however I was pretty shocked and disappointed!
It’s creepy so much so that it was pretty intense especially the sorcery in this movie! I don’t recommend this movie for any child. I feel like it’s more an adult movie or a highly mature teen.
Adult Written byjenf3 May 15, 2020

Bad acting, bad story, feminism again

My daughter loves the original. But this one was nothing like the original. There were few similarities with many additions. First, it is directed by Madonnas husband. So the "quality" starts there. Think Aladdin as a Broadway musical with characters from Beverly Hills, Harlem and the middle east. If you just said "what?!" Exactly. The acting and story line were terrible. Same lame feminist story. Jafar uses language like "You need to know your place and be silent Jasmin", which is why Jasmin has to "prove" herself and become Sultan. Dear feminists, men dont even talk like that! Move on and come up with a new story line. Dont waste your time!
Adult Written byJoesy S April 12, 2020

Perfect family film!

A perfect family film. I didn't know what to expect because I'd heard some bad reviews (all unfounded) but both myself and my whole family were enthralled by this film. It has all the ingredients for a quality film, great characters, great acting, a tried and tested story, gripping, bags of laugh out load humour and visually awesome. Its magic and has left us all feeling on a high.