Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Aladdin

Live-action remake has charming stars, intense moments.

Adult Written byConcernedMother101 May 26, 2019

Very enjoyable FAMILY movie!!!

There was no bad language--THANK YOU Disney! I do not recall any swearing or taking the Lord's name in vain. The Genie (Will Smith) brought lots of smiles and laughter! Jasmine's clothes were beautiful and covered her up...no mid-section showing --Thank you! The only "dark/scary" part was towards the end with Jafar and his Genie wishes. Happy happy ending!!! Great job to Guy Ritchie for directing such a nice FAMILY film. I can not wait to go and see it again very very soon!

Parent Written byKristen S. June 2, 2019

Sorcery was too much!

I'm glad that I read one reviewer who shared my viewpoint. This movie was very well done. I really enjoyed the acting and the songs and the plot was kept similar to the original. Loved the strong female role and the emphasis on that! However, I can't really recommend the movie because the character of Jafar was way too eerie! The sorcery was disturbing - even more than in the original. I took my 7 year old son to see it in the recommendation of Movieguide, which did not even mention this as an issue. He commented that he never would have wanted to see it in 3D. I will have to warn my 10 year old daughter, who gets nightmares, that every time Jafar's eyes glow, she will need to turn away. The last half hour of the movie was the most eerie. The cave of wonders was also very intense!

Parent of a 7 year old Written byAsilenv May 26, 2019

Great family movie with a strong Jasmine

Aladdin was much better than expected. Very colorful movie, with many funny parts, great songs and beautiful scenes. I loved how they portrayed Jasmine as a strong woman, who wants to lead. Will Smith as the genie was great. There’s a lot of action and some scenes where characters are in danger that may a bit stressful for very sensitive kids. We saw the 3D version and although it was nice , the 2d version will be just fine for this movie. A very clean, safe and fun bet for a family afternoon at the movies this Memorial Day weekend and beyond.

Adult Written bycterry98 June 2, 2019

Aladdin

loved it will Smith did an awesome job
Adult Written byHolly R. June 2, 2019

Another terrible remake by Disney...

Special effects were ugly. Did not add anything worthwhile to it's namesake original. It was worse than the original. Will Smith was just terrible as the Genie. Stick with the original movie. It's shorter and not mindless cash grabbing garbage like this movie is.

Adult Written bynicolem_animefan May 28, 2019

I can't believe parents are praising this film.

Oh, boy. Where to begin. Aladdin was by far my FAVORITE Disney movie as a kid-it had positive messages, great cinematography/music, strong character arcs, and, most importantly, 2D ANIMATION, which created an experience that no other film could capture. I'm now 26. This movie was AWFUL. Such a disgrace to Howard Ashman's legacy. Cheap-looking costumes, lifeless camera-work, clunky stunt doubles, and heavily autotuned songs (with the exception of Scott as Jasmine). What breaks my heart is how so many people are praising this film, especially how the character of Jasmine is portrayed as a positive role model. Let me tell you, I am a feminist and I felt her character was very poorly portrayed. Separating this from the original film, there are very little scenes in this movie that SHOW her taking action to change her circumstances. It's fine to change her character arc slightly to have ambitions and want a career (by the way, people, her original ambition in the 1992 version was NOT to have a man, but freedom. She didn't even want the crown! I am so SICK of people bashing Disney's classics about how women were powerless and lovesick without even bothering to understand the context, yet Frozen's Anna, who is even MORE obsessed with boys, is praised), but one little scene at the end where she stands up to her advisor while sitting in the palace pondering about Aladdin the rest of the film is not enough to justify this new arc. In the original, Jasmine shows sprit, courage, and fights back for what she wants. Here, she sings about how "Speechless" she is and just waits around for Aladdin. Beautiful song, but completely out of context here. For such a powerful women, in the beginning we even see her being afraid to jump across the building with the pole saying "oh my gosh I can't do this!!" Where in the original, she does it no problem. Jasmine aside, important scenes are cut and unnecessarily swapped around, such as how Aladdin and Jasmine meet up immediately in the beginning of this film. This ruins their potential chemistry and build-up to their stories. Why cut out the scene with Jasmine and the birdcage, or the scene when Aladdin gets pushed down and laughed at by the townspeople (One Jump Ahead Reprise?) Those scenes showed symbolism, foreshadowing and why their struggles made them so compatible. There's nothing wrong with falling in love and finding your best friend admidst your own respective personal journey, and the original Aladdin portrayed Jasmine and Aladdin as equals. Not so here. One trend I notice with these live action remakes is that so much dialogue is crammed into each scene (with the addition of unnecessary backstory), to the point where the story TELLS, not SHOWS. The subtlety of the 1992 film where every pause, every movement, the soft romantic music and the beats of the way the camera showed expression on character's faces is replaced with speedy, zippy dialogue (which isn't organic or funny). On another side note, the portrayal of Jafar in this film was terrible. Where was the funny dialogue showing his maniacal tendencies? The scene where he turns into an old man? What about the huge climax where Aladdin fights Jafar and comes to terms with himself? Nope. Couldn't even give us that. And the Genie-don't even get me started on the Genie. His whole arc was changed from being free to see the world and being a kind mentor to Aladdin to pushing Aladdin aside so he could go "party with a women." The core values are still somewhat here, such as being true to yourself, the consequences of dishonesty, and having ambition, but they are watered down with the omission of certain scenes to the point where the story feels so hallow. I'm sorry to say that not even Will Smith, Mena Massoud and Naomi Scott's talents could save this souless cash-grab. Parents, do yourself a favor and turn on the original. We should not be afraid to show our children fairy tales. Our kids are smart.

Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written bykimaya May 26, 2019

awesome

Better than the original. Very adventurous and exciting. One of the best movies I have ever seen.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byMrqzfamilia May 26, 2019

Fun for the whole family

I was skeptical going into the movie, but my entire family left entertained and laughing. It was great watching a movie with strong female and male heroes. It was also nice to see a cast made up of people of color.

Adult Written byTheCandyrox21 June 18, 2019

A fun mix of good and not so good

First the good: -its fun -Will Smith is good and isn't trying to be Robin Williams 2.0 -Songs are great -New girl is very entertaining -Jasmine is cast great -Genie subplot is cute -SPEECHLESS. Now for the not so good. -Jasmine's whole thing about not being silent is really unused -Some scenes feel like the could have used one more take -Jafar is not threatening -While Will Smith is very good in this role him being blue is still slightly uncomfortable. -Climax is boring compared to the original -Pacing is a bit weird. Overall this movie is a mixed bag. 3.5 stars
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byweareblessed2011 June 17, 2019

Classic with a twist

I took my 11 year old boy and 9 year old daughter. They were not very familiar with Aladdin as they saw the cartoon a long time ago. They recognized the songs and loved the colors and action. I was so glad they left the real essence of the the Disney movie alive. Jafar was not as scary and as deep as the first one and my kids thought he was just funny and not the "big deal" he was intended to be. We really liked the movie, had fun while at the movie theater but 2 hours later no one talked about it anymore.....
Adult Written byRonnam1 June 16, 2019

Awesome, but not for under 7 yrs

Great movie overall. I am 10 years old when I saw this film. Great acting. Props to Will Smith- great genie! But, there were a few scary scenes such as Aladdin’s attempted drowning, and when Jafar was slowly killing Aladdin in the end. But overall great movie!! Also I liked the “ women empowerment” scene with Jasmine! A bit too much violence though, not for sensitive children.

Adult Written bytwinny2 June 15, 2019

Awesome

This movie was awesome. The acting was very well and it was a great mixture of comedy and drama. It reminded me of when I watched the movie as a child. The characters defintely looked like the cartoon version.

Adult Written byAS7744 June 14, 2019

Funny Movie, Aladdin stayed true!!

Well adaptive screen play, it's not easy going to a movie to from a cartoon. The trailer did not do the movie justice, they really under sold the movie. Will Smith role was accurate as it can get, he did an awesome job! Have an open mind toward the movie and you will enjoy it. Love the dancing scenes.
Adult Written byThiago F June 12, 2019

A Whole New, but Old World. For you and me!

The story of Aladdin is about a blooming love between the underdog hero and a princess. One of the best moments from the original to the remake is the magic carpet ride in the Arabian skies as Jasmine and Aladdin sing one of the most beautiful songs in Disney history. I strongly recommend watching this movie with your significant other.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byKrajput June 11, 2019

Good for older kids

Great movie but it’s too scary for little kids. Honestly, I though it was AWESOME, but it’s kinda scary. Aladdin gets thrown of the palace into the ocean, and he almost dies. And Jafar's staff is very powerful, cause it hipnotises the Sultan. But it gives positive messages because Jasmine is big on girl power, and stands up to Jafar.

Adult Written bycjstorey June 10, 2019

Great Action-Packed Fun

Adult Written byHaloola June 9, 2019
It doesnt capture the cartoon version as well and they added some cheesy high school musical type scenes that just took me out of the story
Adult Written byNinjaMaster June 8, 2019

Almost as Good as the Cartoon

As someone who was a kid watching the first Aladdin and now thinking back on this one as an adult was really nostalgic. I thought some of the acting should have been retried but it was written well and they're fumbles are forgivable. They did a great job with the visual effects. 4/5 stars review by Tim E. https://timothyrjeveland.com/

Adult Written byAkulig117 June 5, 2019

Fun movie

I was skeptical about using such a well know actors face on such an iconic character as the Genie... I mean the Fresh Prince as our big blue crazy friend? I thought his voice for the character would have been well suited but I didn’t want to see him. In the first scene where we meet the genie and Will Smith streams out of the lamp I couldn’t help but roll my eyes and laugh. However, by the end of friend like me I was into it. I thought Will Smith did great and I thought the whole movie was really fun. I would have liked to see the sultan with his cute bubbly personality and Jafar could have been more dramatic. But I’m no movie critic and my three girls ages 9,13,and 15 really enjoyed the whole movie. One more thing... at the end the genie gives Aladdin the option the remove the prince line from the law... this want in the original and for good reason.... why wouldn’t they just do that in the beginning and avoid having to lie to Jasmine in the first place? Makes the rest of the movie seem like it was just a dumb decision.... anyway over all a great rating with a few things I would have liked to see differently
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byVincenzo June 3, 2019

Good family fun

This film has some flaws, particularly in the first 15 min with how it introduces the characters, and younger kids who are not intimately familiar with the animated film will be lost at times. I really liked the minor tweaks made to Jasmine's character; it just felt more believable in this film. Great fun overall, I would see it again!