Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Aladdin

Live-action remake has charming stars, intense moments.

Parent Written byKristen S. June 2, 2019

Sorcery was too much!

I'm glad that I read one reviewer who shared my viewpoint. This movie was very well done. I really enjoyed the acting and the songs and the plot was kept similar to the original. Loved the strong female role and the emphasis on that! However, I can't really recommend the movie because the character of Jafar was way too eerie! The sorcery was disturbing - even more than in the original. I took my 7 year old son to see it in the recommendation of Movieguide, which did not even mention this as an issue. He commented that he never would have wanted to see it in 3D. I will have to warn my 10 year old daughter, who gets nightmares, that every time Jafar's eyes glow, she will need to turn away. The last half hour of the movie was the most eerie. The cave of wonders was also very intense!

Parent of a 7 year old Written byAsilenv May 26, 2019

Great family movie with a strong Jasmine

Aladdin was much better than expected. Very colorful movie, with many funny parts, great songs and beautiful scenes. I loved how they portrayed Jasmine as a strong woman, who wants to lead. Will Smith as the genie was great. There’s a lot of action and some scenes where characters are in danger that may a bit stressful for very sensitive kids. We saw the 3D version and although it was nice , the 2d version will be just fine for this movie. A very clean, safe and fun bet for a family afternoon at the movies this Memorial Day weekend and beyond.

Adult Written bynicolem_animefan May 28, 2019

I can't believe parents are praising this film.

Oh, boy. Where to begin. Aladdin was by far my FAVORITE Disney movie as a kid-it had positive messages, great cinematography/music, strong character arcs, and, most importantly, 2D ANIMATION, which created an experience that no other film could capture. I'm now 26. This movie was AWFUL. Such a disgrace to Howard Ashman's legacy. Cheap-looking costumes, lifeless camera-work, clunky stunt doubles, and heavily autotuned songs (with the exception of Scott as Jasmine). What breaks my heart is how so many people are praising this film, especially how the character of Jasmine is portrayed as a positive role model. Let me tell you, I am a feminist and I felt her character was very poorly portrayed. Separating this from the original film, there are very little scenes in this movie that SHOW her taking action to change her circumstances. It's fine to change her character arc slightly to have ambitions and want a career (by the way, people, her original ambition in the 1992 version was NOT to have a man, but freedom. She didn't even want the crown! I am so SICK of people bashing Disney's classics about how women were powerless and lovesick without even bothering to understand the context, yet Frozen's Anna, who is even MORE obsessed with boys, is praised), but one little scene at the end where she stands up to her advisor while sitting in the palace pondering about Aladdin the rest of the film is not enough to justify this new arc. In the original, Jasmine shows sprit, courage, and fights back for what she wants. Here, she sings about how "Speechless" she is and just waits around for Aladdin. Beautiful song, but completely out of context here. For such a powerful women, in the beginning we even see her being afraid to jump across the building with the pole saying "oh my gosh I can't do this!!" Where in the original, she does it no problem. Jasmine aside, important scenes are cut and unnecessarily swapped around, such as how Aladdin and Jasmine meet up immediately in the beginning of this film. This ruins their potential chemistry and build-up to their stories. Why cut out the scene with Jasmine and the birdcage, or the scene when Aladdin gets pushed down and laughed at by the townspeople (One Jump Ahead Reprise?) Those scenes showed symbolism, foreshadowing and why their struggles made them so compatible. There's nothing wrong with falling in love and finding your best friend admidst your own respective personal journey, and the original Aladdin portrayed Jasmine and Aladdin as equals. Not so here.

One trend I notice with these live action remakes is that so much dialogue is crammed into each scene (with the addition of unnecessary backstory), to the point where the story TELLS, not SHOWS. The subtlety of the 1992 film where every pause, every movement, the soft romantic music and the beats of the way the camera showed expression on character's faces is replaced with speedy, zippy dialogue (which isn't organic or funny). On another side note, the portrayal of Jafar in this film was terrible. Where was the funny dialogue showing his maniacal tendencies? The scene where he turns into an old man? What about the huge climax where Aladdin fights Jafar and comes to terms with himself? Nope. Couldn't even give us that. And the Genie-don't even get me started on the Genie. His whole arc was changed from being free to see the world and being a kind mentor to Aladdin to pushing Aladdin aside so he could go "party with a women." The core values are still somewhat here, such as being true to yourself, the consequences of dishonesty, and having ambition, but they are watered down with the omission of certain scenes to the point where the story feels so hallow. I'm sorry to say that not even Will Smith, Mena Massoud and Naomi Scott's talents could save this souless cash-grab.

Parents, do yourself a favor and turn on the original. We should not be afraid to show our children fairy tales. Our kids are smart.

Parent of a 4 year old Written byJkwillia June 20, 2019

NOT the Aladdin you remember as a kid!

Horrifically scary, violent, scenes with real-life peril. Terribly frightening. THIS IS NOT a kids movie!!! I am so disappointed. Aladdin was one of my favorite movies as a child - I couldn’t wait to share it with my kids. I left worried sick I had traumatized both of them...we couldn’t even make it through to the end. I kept thinking it would get better, but the incredible level of violence, danger, and peril just kept increasing. Not even that funny. I said ages 9 and up, but know that this film was too violent for me as a grown adult!!!

Adult Written bycterry98 June 2, 2019

Aladdin

loved it will Smith did an awesome job
Adult Written byHolly R. June 2, 2019

Another terrible remake by Disney...

Special effects were ugly. Did not add anything worthwhile to it's namesake original. It was worse than the original. Will Smith was just terrible as the Genie. Stick with the original movie. It's shorter and not mindless cash grabbing garbage like this movie is.

Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written bykimaya May 26, 2019

awesome

Better than the original. Very adventurous and exciting. One of the best movies I have ever seen.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byMrqzfamilia May 26, 2019

Fun for the whole family

I was skeptical going into the movie, but my entire family left entertained and laughing. It was great watching a movie with strong female and male heroes. It was also nice to see a cast made up of people of color.

Adult Written byFaithy_ September 15, 2019

So so

Was quite good. Some bits can be too scary but definitely not as good as its original
Parent of a 2 year old Written by69hahlol September 12, 2019

SUPER SCARY would not show any kids under 48

the main character wears a bikini for most of the movie and i thought that was really socially insensitive. there is a scene where a certain carpet gets destroyed and that made me pee my pants a little bit.

Parent of a 11 year old Written byNando1328 September 11, 2019
Adult Written byIronJustin September 9, 2019

Disney Aladdin

What I read this movie made 1 billion and this movie is better then the original in the animated version you don’t see the history of Middle East like this one this movie is really like Jasmine movie more then Aladdin Will Smith is not all blue genie this movie is the funniest movie Will Smith is better genie deal with it Robin Williams is dead there is no more genie with Robin Williams

Adult Written byTrina7 September 7, 2019

Super entertaining

I'm so surprised at the many poor reviews of this movie. I have to admit, I wasn't really excited to see it, because I thought I already knew the story (animated version several times, Broadway show AND school play ...) but it was SO much better than I expected! My 9 and 11 year old kids were delighted and so was I. We loved the actors for Aladdin and Jasmine and laughed out loud at the genie. I thought it was an outstanding family movie for the upper elementary crowd. (I can see that it would be scary for younger kids) Highly recommend!
Parent of a 12 year old Written byHarvnlenny September 7, 2019

Adult Written byLorna12 August 30, 2019

Wonderful fun for the family

I grew up with the original animated series and Disney did a wonderful job holding true to the story and adding some new and fun twists! It made me feel very nostalgic and I think Will Smith did a great job as Genie! Those are big shoes to fill. No swearing, Jafar was menacing but not over the top scary, beautiful music and fun. Good for the whole family! Strong female role model! Great lesson about friendship!

Parent of a 9 year old Written byPires293 August 27, 2019
Adult Written byCriticus August 27, 2019

Gem of a movie!

What a fun movie! Usually the term "fun" applies to the worst, B-grade movies; but in this case, it really achieves the pure popcorn flick side of things, while remaining a fully intact and functioning movie of its own. And yes, despite all the early criticisms of Will Smith's genie! And yes, despite the fact that it's essentially a live-action remake of an animation we saw a couple of decades ago!

I was pleasantly surprised. It's very tame, being classically Disney, and yet adults will be entertained as well. I recommend it for all families - really, it's the perfect summer blockbuster! There are some dodgy messages that are typically left-leaning (Jasmine's empowerment, etc), and obviously a couple of very kid-friendly romances. There's very little language, if any, and relatively little violence. Some frightening themes, for very small children.
Adult Written byNoliedog1 July 24, 2019

Bad movie

I gave it a 1 . So don’t brother to go see the movie it not very good in the movie Aladdin just mostly singing
Parent Written bycb2015 July 21, 2019

Even better than the original

I wasn’t sure what to expect with this remake, but was blown away by the large scale production. Everything from the gorgeous sets, to the costumes, to the hundreds of actors and dancers help make this movie a feast for the eyes. There’s obviously a romantic interest between Aladdin and Jasmine, but it was all very tasteful. There’s even a song about female empowerment and finding your voice; while the main character confronts issues of integrity and being authentic. Will Smith did a great job as the genie, although he had big shoes to fill from the original.

The one thing to keep in mind is that there were a few scenes at the end, in which characters get hypnotized, with the glowing eyes of Jafar, which could scare younger kids. My kids (9 and 11) and I enjoyed it so much, we may go see it again! A visual masterpiece!

Parent of a 11 and 11 year old Written byPoodle Reviews July 1, 2019
I loved this movie so much! It was funny, suspenseful, fun, romantic and had great music in it too! The only complaint that I would have about this movie would be how fast it goes because I got lost a couple of times mostly in the chase scenes. But other than that I loved it and I would definitely would watch again.