Kid reviews for Aladdin

Live-action remake has charming stars, intense moments.

Kid, 12 years old May 14, 2019

Aladdin shines in Hilarious reboot!!!!!!!

Great movie just a little bit of scary scenes and skimpy outfits and disney is in the top 5 of the toy empire.

Kid, 11 years old May 27, 2019

Wonderful Movie

I watched this movie with my cousin and I loved it. Jasmine and Aladdin were played by great actors, along with Will Smith as Genie (a helpful and important character with a good comical side). There was lots of singing and dancing included, which is always a fun element in a movie, especially for kids who love characters with energy and a great voice. Small spoiler ahead: Aladdin is a thief, which may not be the best way to way to be a role model, but he is very caring for others and helps fellow poor and hungry characters, which is where I found that he can easily be classified as a role model. There are women with quite a bit of skin showing, along with some shirtless men, but it wasn't too bad in my opinion. There might be some scares for younger kids (such as lots of flames, flashes, or loud noises) but it wasn't too excessive. Overall, I think "Aladdin" is a great movie and is worth its PG rating. Definitely a fantastic family-friendly movie choice.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLory23 June 17, 2019

Great Movie but Quite Frightening

I LOVED this movie as well as my whole family and we all have very different tastes in movies. The more in depth story of Jasmine was truly inspiring for young girls and women. if you’re not a musical person there wasn’t many songs but what there was they were great The cast was awesome, they were perfect choice; Naomi Scott as Jasmine, Mena Massoud as Aladdin and of course Will Smith as the Genie. As kind hearted as it was there were many frightening scenes that even scared me a little, probably wouldn’t show any child under the age of 7 without checking it out first Above all, the movie was amazing....Highly Recommended!

Kid, 12 years old May 25, 2019

Shining, Shimmering, Splendid

DISCLAIMERS: "Disney's Aladdin (2019)", will be referred to simply as "Aladdin" throughout the review, even though it is not the original version. Keep in mind, I have not seen Disney's Aladdin (1992, Original.) very recently. Also, I am very much aware that this review is VERY LONG, but I pride myself in taking an in-depth, comprehensive look at movies. For your convenience, I have added headers to the top of each category to improve your ability to quickly find what you need. This is also my first review on "commonsensemedia©", so, please, keep in mind, I am still learning. ________ MY VIEW ON THE DISNEY REMAKE/SEQUEL/RETELLING CONTROVERSY: Though I could talk about this infinitely, my summed up thoughts on the ever-present controversy about Disney remaking their films is that, so long as the story is updated and changed while still respecting the source material, there is no harm in revisiting a classic Disney story with new actors and aspects. Though I understand that, yes, it would be pleasant if Disney released more movies that were not sequels or remakes of older movies, I do wish that people could accept the fact that the movie exists, and that if it's not for them, that's okay, but that it could be an opportunity for people to experience the old story in a new way. They don't have to go see it if they don't want to, and the older version still exists, but in my eyes, so long as said sequels, remakes and retellings are done justice and adapted well, I see no harm in Disney making said films. ________ WHAT IT DID WELL: I am over the moon to report that, in my subjective opinion, (which it is, again, fine to disagree with) Aladdin has successfully achieved all of my requirements for a successful Disney remake! (see, "MY VIEW ON THE DISNEY REMAKE/SEQUEL/RETELLING CONTROVERSY: ".) Gosh, am I glad to say that, because, frankly, this movie had such a pre-established bad reputation before the flick even came out that I had walked in expecting to be slightly disappointed, but I was willing to see what Disney had to throw at us, and I am SO glad I went! Though it takes a little bit to get going, don't leave the theater just yet! Once it did get moving, I didn't want to look away! Everything, EVERYTHING about this film (in exception to two parts which I will get to in section "WHAT IT DIDN'T DO WELL") just wowed me, and I was at the edge of my seat! I know that Guy Ritchie directed this movie, and even though I didn't give two magic lamps who this guy was, I can say that his artistic vision for this movie was on point. The sets, actors, camera angles, (including the fabulous slo-mo shots which I have heard he is famous for) heck, even the COMEDY immersed me into the photogenic world of Agrabah and all of the movie's various locales. This is also aided by the incredible soundtrack, including the new songs. ("Speechless" left me with goosebumps and a few tears.) Though I won't directly say that I preferred some of the renditions of the classic songs to the originals, I can say almost all of these songs hit me like an arrow to the heart*, and I was pumped during the energetic songs and touched in the emotional ones. Obviously, the costumes were incredible, (in exception to Aladdin's "street rat" clothes which look too professional and his hair looked like it was so meticulously touched up to the point in which he doesn't look like he's on the streets anymore) but most impressive, though, in my (unpopular) opinion, is how this film really picked the right actors for every role. Mena Massoud's charismatic interpretation of Aladdin killed it! Throughout almost the entirety of the movie, even when he was not at his best points, I felt as though he was a real guy, and I was really rooting for him the whole time. Naomi Scott, whose performances brought me to tears, brings a new, strong character to the already progressive for her time original Jasmine. Though Marwan Kenzari's version of Jafar may not look incredibly intimidating, you can feel the tenseness and I can guarantee his deliveries will send chills down your spine. Finally, and, if I am correct, the MOST CONTROVERSIAL PICK FOR AN ACTOR OF ALL TIME, (in my opinion) Will Smith knocked it out of the park in his interpretation of the Genie! No, he will never beat Robin Williams because NO-ONE will beat Robin Williams, but he gave it his best shot, and I think he crushed it. Even if not as good as Robin's, he had incredible joke delivery. Everyone is talking about how "horrendous" and "offensive" and "disgusting" the look for the Genie was in the film while he was in his blue, genie look, yet I honestly did not find it to be any of the aforementioned terms, but instead, somewhat natural looking. Yes, if you look at him too long, your eyes'll get a little confused, but most of his scenes are in his human form, so it's not too big of a problem. *No children were harmed during the viewing of this film. (That I know of.) ________ WHAT IT DIDN'T DO WELL: Obviously, every film has it's problems, and this one is no exception. It is just as important to recognize our lows as it is our highs. However, by no means do these flaws break the movie; Not in the slightest! They are just the ever so slightly wilted lettuce on the perfect Aladdin sandwich. As previously mentioned, two things irked me about the film. First, the first 15-ish minutes of the film just felt a little bit off. (In exception to the killer rendition of "Arabian Nights".) I felt as though the chemistry between the actors was not up to par, the effects were iffy, and, in general, the first 15-ish just felt a little bit confused. In addition, and I can't quite put my nose on it, but the "A Whole New World" sequence just felt a little lack-luster. By no means was it bad, it was just not as good as it could've been. How was the rendition of the song? Fine. How were the visuals? Fine. How was the chemistry? Fine. They didn't really do anything WRONG, exactly, but it just wasn't as good as I was thinking it would be. ________ COMMON SENSE MEDIA'S QUESTIONS: "Great messages": Women are powerful and have a voice that counts, don't change yourself for relationships, etc. "Great role models": Though we can learn from his mistakes, Aladdin does have good morals and character values to admire, and I can see many young children looking up to him. Don't even get me started on Jasmine; She is strong, independent, she goes to show that women have a voice worth hearing and that being a woman does not mean being a pushover. Just everything about her character was absolutely fabulous. There were other characters that you could potentially look up to, but I think that those are the main ones. "Too much violence/scary stuff": This one is very dependent on how sensitive your child (or you) is/are. I was a VERY timid child, and even though horror movies and such are still not within my comfort zone whatsoever, this movie didn't at any point scare me. That said, it could absolutely traumatize certain children, depending on how easily they scare. However, should I have seen it at age 8, I would be utterly scarred for life. There are many special effects and loud noises in all of Jafar's scenes and the "Cave of Wonders" scene, but I imagine most 8 year-olds could handle it. I said children age 9 could handle it, as a median of the two number 8 and 10 to give you my best estimate. "Too much sexy stuff": Aside from some kisses which can be handled by most kids, not too much in this category. "Too much swearing": If I remember correctly, the most it got to was rude terms such as "street rat", and "riffraff". Not too much here. "Too much consumerism": Though none in the movie, there is merchandise and advertising everywhere for this film. It is Disney after all. "Too much drinking/drugs/smoking": I think that the extent here was Will Smith's Genie held a martini for, like, two seconds. Not a big deal. "Educational value": This movie is not trying to be educational, except in the way of guiding one in finding Ababwa on a map,(you'll get the reference if you've seen it) but that's not necessarily a bad thing. A little fun here and there is always welcome. ________ CONSENSUS Though this movie is not perfect, (No movie is, not even, "A Star Is Born". Yep, I said it.), I think it is an absolute blast handled extremely well. I almost never cry at movies, and at this one, I cried twice, and, in addition, rarely do I ever so strongly desire to see a film for a second time in theaters, and, at the time of my writing this review, I can't wait to see this movie again! It is such a visual and audible spectacle that I recommend you see it in the nicest theatre you can. I have confidence that most people (who aren't snobs looking to nitpick every piece of a movie like it is an atom) will really enjoy this adaptation, even if they loved or hated the original one. Though I had complaints, they so minimally affected the actual movie, and considering I left the theatre with a light, happy feeling, I will be rating Disney's Aladdin (2019) a 95/100%. (Yeah, I know I said "5 stars", but you had to pick 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5, so I rounded up.)

Teen, 13 years old Written bycatlovers June 13, 2019

I absolutely love this movie!

The movie is a wonderful movie! It talks about Jazmine wanting to become the Sultan, but they don't allow her because a woman roll in the kingdom is to be pretty and quiet. This leads up to the new song Speechless. This song is VERY good, its a good feminist song to jam out to. It also shows you, that you don't have to be a king or a prince to impress someone. (ex. Aladdin) Overall I would rate this movie one of the best I have ever seen!

Teen, 15 years old Written bysilvershadow523 June 10, 2019

Awesome rendering of the classic!

It might get a little intense for young children compared to the original, but they did an amazing job!

Teen, 15 years old Written byHannyJulia7 June 9, 2019

Fantastic, but not completely satisfying

Aladdin has always been my favourite disney movie. I definitely appreciate all the hardwork the director, producers, actors etc put into making this film. However, I wished they didn't added new scenes and characters. I wanted it to be just like the original film. They missed out some important points. Jafar should've looked scarier and has a deeper voice. Jasmine should've looked even happier when riding the carpet. But overall the movie was actually really good. I'm not complaining or anything I'm just giving my opinion

Teen, 15 years old Written byShowman movie13 June 9, 2019
vey gooooooooood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved this movie. It had some scary images. I thought this was the best princess movie ever. Aladdin is a fun movie to see. But some scary moments: inside the sand tiger some peril, Jafra's uses evil magic, horror screams, etc. When I saw this I was like: ok, just an old princess movie. But it turned better than I expected. I loved the songs in here Really good laugh humor. It really should get a 5star rated. This was awesome! Took my imagation level to a whole new level.

Kid, 11 years old June 9, 2019

Great movie

this movie is so so so good its already my 3rd favourite movie and I just watched it I never thought a movie including a princess would be so good cause I'm the classic avengers fan that is always talking about marvel and stuff now the parental stuff it is 100% safe for a 5 year old

Teen, 17 years old Written byReyBae June 5, 2019

A Magic Carpet Ride Into A Whole New World

This movie was absolutely incredible. The attention to detail was spot on, and actors fit their characters like a glove. The songs were amazing, just as great as the original animated film. Nothing inappropriate for children, and something interesting happening around every corner. The perfect family night movie. Super funny, and entertaining for all ages. I loved the message the movie put forth, along with many great role models.

Kid, 11 years old June 5, 2019

Better Than The Original

This movie is complex for young viewers but better than the original.
Kid, 10 years old June 5, 2019

Remake is fun and entertaining

It is a great movie, its fun, entertaining and kid appropriate. There is a couple of scary scenes and not to much violence. The acting is very good also. I would highly recommend this to families.

Teen, 13 years old Written byelectricteen333 June 4, 2019

Toe-tapping songs, talented cast, and it advocates for women!

I went in to the theatre thinking, "OK, so I really want to see the live action version of Aladdin. I wonder if it's any good?" I must admit, I was surprised by many aspects of this movie. Of course, it couldn't compare to the beauty of the original animated version, but cast was very talented and I loved the comedic bits of the story. Above all, the principal female character, Jasmine, advocated for women's rights to speak out against unfairness and take leadership roles in society. She proved herself to be a good role model for women of all ages with her confidence and passion to getting her voice heard. Still, the males did tend to rescue the females in times of peril; something for Disney to work on. There is some kissing at the end, but nothing kids ages nine and up can't handle. NOTE TO PARENTS: THERE IS A LOT OF JUMPING OF BUILDINGS AND OTHER STRUCTURES DURING THE ACTION SCENES. GOING INTO THIS MOVIE, YOUR KIDS SHOULD HAVE ENOUGH JUDGEMENT TO KNOW THAT SUCH STUNTS ARE NOT MEANT TO BE PULLED OFF IN REAL LIFE. To all of you who just want to close your eyes and fly away on a magic carpet to a country far, far away- This movie is for you!

Teen, 15 years old Written byaverycheer.26 June 4, 2019

Best Live-action

This movie was by far the best movie i’ve ever seen. Despite what the critics say, it was made amazingly. The scenes were colorful, artistic, and very detailed. The actors picked were perfect for their role, and the music! The music is amazing! It is better than the original by far. As far as Jasmine being a feminist, who cares. She’s setting a good image for young girls to believe in themselves. Her role definitely didn’t over power the movie though. I strongly recommend you watch this movie. There is barley any violence, no “sex stuff”, it’s pure happiness and a large popcorn.

Teen, 15 years old Written byNadia Cloud June 3, 2019

More intense Disney remake.

Aladdin is not the best Disney remake but is still fun to watch. I recommend this for ages 8 and up because some scenes can be frightening for younger viewers. 7/10 recommend.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySam jay June 3, 2019

Good movie. Just too scary/intense for children under 8.

I have seen this movie in IMAX and I really liked it. Characters had strong perspectives. Violence/medium: some senes like when Aladdin got the lamp and near the end when jafar's parrot briefly became a monster can scare young/sensitive children. Even when the carpet tore could be upsetting for sensitive viewers. Sexual content/moderate: 2 kissing scenes. Some words like "she's hot" and "tasty"(used in a song and referring to a woman) can be used once. Language/mild: One use of h--l. Insults like "riffrat, streetrat, scoundrel, take that"(used in a song), "nothing", "thief", "hurry up woman", and "be silent". Drinking, drugs, and tobacco/mild: the genie could be seen drinking a cocktail. Wine can be shown.

Teen, 16 years old Written byJay2003 June 2, 2019

its a great movie

Aladdin is amazing I went to the cinema with my family not expecting much from this movie. But it was amazing. It was close to the original movie but it had enough differences so you don't predict everything. The music was amazing and there was some new songs and a couple of new and different songs. It has good messages about identity and how it doesn't matter your social status you can still do amazing things. the movie is great for families.Will Smith does amazing and he did well as the genie. I recommend this movie for everyone, people who like the original or even if they don't.

Teen, 13 years old Written byOkdude9 June 2, 2019

Better than the original!

Had everything the original had, except 5 times better! No language, drugs, but just a little violence and action

Kid, 11 years old June 2, 2019

Nothing inappropriate, the age rating should be the same as the animated version.

Watch it, I don't want to give any spoilers with what I WAS gonna talk about.
Kid, 12 years old June 2, 2019

Good movie to check out!

The new Aladdin is a super good movie! It features actors and actress like Will Smith, and Naomi Scott. This movie is appropriate, and has some really funny (appropriate) older humor. There is a little bit of kissing, and the Genie develops a crush on Jasmines handmaiden. There is no swearing, but Aladdin gets called things like “Street Rat.” This movie had positive messages, and has a lot of girl power. Jasmine is a very strong woman, and she believes she can be Sultan, even though she is a girl. This movie is not inappropriate, but little kids might be bored. This movie is super good, but you can’t compare it to the original.