All parent member reviews for Aladdin

Adult Written byHeroneSilverton April 9, 2008

Why don't they make movies like this anymore?

This is a fantastic movie. It has all of the child-like wonder of disney movies, but also has some very chilling moments. This is splendidly done, with the animations right on and the mood set just right. Every time I see this movie I marvel at the way it can make you feel certain things. The ending can be nightmare inducing for younger children, and even gave me some goose bumps. The music is wonderful and the animations are also for the date it was done in. This was my favourite movie growing up, and I have a feeling it's going to be around for a looong time.
Adult Written byWaterNymph March 18, 2011

Inapporpriate Sexiness

Jasmine is constantly showing her belly button and cleavage, and there is a scene toward the end where she basically becomes Jafar's sex slave.
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byMarii0726 June 10, 2011

Can be a bit too scary for young kids

This movie has been one of my all time favorites growing up, so I'm happy to share it with today's kids. The songs are wonderfully fun and most of the humor is very kid-friendly, although they aren't likely to pick up on some of the Genie's more snide jokes. I watched this movie with a 7 year old and a 4 year old today: Some parts were too intense and frightening for the younger one, but there's enough comic relief to loosen the tension for him. So I'd rate this as being fine for older kids (maybe 6/7+) but younger kids might enjoy it as well with a parent.
Adult Written byMi3 February 3, 2011

TONS of almost naked girls, cleavage, scary scenes for a 6 year old, and Aladdin holds the princess very close on the first date.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bysmcclenaghan September 1, 2012

Watch it with young children and explain why Aladdin is stealing food. Make sure he or she is following main points of the movie. My five year old thought the genie scenes near the end were "a little scary" but it was no big deal and he wants to see it again.
Adult Written byKGav April 9, 2008

Some issues, but OK for older kids

This is one of my favorite Disney films, but I haven't allowed my children (ages 4 and 2.5) to watch it yet. They have read the story in a Disney story book and are dying to see it, but I've held off for the moment. Maybe in another year. My main issues involve the idea that stealing is OK if you're poor, and Jasmine's overly sexual appearance (The belly? The red outfit? With shackles on her wrists too boot? Yikes!). Also, the genie gets a little scary when Jafar becomes his master and Jafar also tries to kill Aladdin by drowning him. But it's a fun film (Robin Williams is just great as the genie) and I'm sure we'll watch it sooner or later, but with some discussion afterward.
Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe October 6, 2010
Aladdin is one of my favorite Disney movies! Some iffy stuff for younger viewers, like Jasmine's clothing (or lack of) and Aladdin stealing. But with discussion these issues won't affect children old enough to understand. The music is beautiful and Robin Williams as Genie is possibly the best character in the whole movie. Add in beautiful scenes and a love story set in a beautiful country and you have a 5 star movie!
Adult Written bymama247 April 9, 2008

...and my kids loved it too!

This is my favorite Disney movie ever. Robin Williams is absolutely hysterical and the music is amazing. I have seen it more times than I can count. Amazingly, my 6 and 3-year-olds love it too, eventhough I know they doesn't get half the jokes. There are some mildly scary scenes and you have to discuss that stealing is wrong. The movie makes it seem like it's okay because Aladdin is really poor and doesn't have food to eat. Other than that (and Jasmine's cleavage) this is a fabulous movie.
Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written bypoppinsfan August 14, 2015
Adult Written bytintinruaza July 23, 2015

Bad words... Even on TV!

When my kid was younger, she bought a VCD of this movie. When she watched it, she didn't realize that Princess Jasmine said a few curse words. She was paying too much attention to every somewhat disgusting scene. Now that she watched it again on TV recently, she realized there were some scenes that are too mature for her age. She also reported to her mother all the curse words she heard in the movie.
Adult Written byLowe's man September 30, 2014

A Tale of Two Backgrounds

Aladdin is poor while Jasmine is rich. In the market they meet by chance. Aladdin wishes that people would do stuff for him, while Jasmine wants her freedom. When Aladdin learns that Jasmine is a princess he acts like such a phony, all just to impress her. Meanwhile, Jasmine's father, the king, wants to pick a man for Jasmine. In other words, he doesn't want her to marry for love. (Just like "Fiddler on the Roof" if you think about it.) But Jasmine does. When Aladdin finally told Jasmine the truth about his background, their backgrounds don't matter. All that matters is that they love each other. Ultimately they get married, and for the right reason- love. There are some scenes with Jafar that could be scary for preschoolers. Beyond that, though, it's a great movie that everyone can enjoy.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byViolinMommy December 26, 2013

Great movie, beautiful music, happy ending, but a little scary

We just watched Aladdin and really loved it! Beautiful music and a happy ending! Jafar and the Cave of Wonders will scare younger kids, and there is wizardry, magic, and evil. Jasmine is a little bit sexy in some scenes. However, there are good things to learn from the movie which can create good discussions about life - like, making mistakes, even when you are a good person, and how to make things right. I've heard the songs for many years, but now that I've seen the movie, the songs have a whole new meaning and I love them even more! Great movie. Just hold your young kids close when Jafar is on screen. Thank goodness for Robin Williams' silly Genie character to help lighten the scary moments.