Kid reviews for Alita: Battle Angel

Big effects, lifeless characters in sci-fi action tale.

Teen, 14 years old Written bybookworm3284 February 17, 2019

Violent, and surprising bloody for a PG-13 movie.

This film was all over the place. It was entertaining, but disappointing. At some moments it felt like a little kid movie, and then during the action sequence sit seemed like a movie ONLY for teens. Yes there was a lot of violence. Some of it I found disturbing even. Like when a dog gets stepped on, and then Alita uses it's blood for war paint. Multiple characters (human and cyborg) get sliced in half, sliced in multiple pieces, and more. This was very bloody and gory for a PG-13 movie. There were beheadings of Cyborgs, and sometimes the head got pinned to a wall, with blue/green cyborg blood. You see a human head that had been chopped of of a human body, and one of the characters used their own blood as a blood implant to keep the head alive to later be put on a cyborg body. That character also gets sliced to pieces when they jump over a huge mechanism resembling a huge chainsaw, and then later falls to their death (sad moment). Human characters get sliced in half by cyborgs, blood seen. And a cyborg crushes his hand into a characters shoulder, causing lots of blood to gush. (SPOILER ALERT) Alita gets sliced to pieces, and (luckily) her head and one robotic arm is the only thing that remains, and she crawls around like that for a little it, which may scare and disturb younger viewers. Some of the evil cyborgs may be scary and frightening, especially when one of the evil cyborgs gets his face sliced off, and the machine that is underneath (eyes and a mouth) is disturbing and just plain creepy. Humans get impaled, and you see blood fly, and also you see the bloodied weapon. In a flashback, you see a young girl murdered, not the act itself, just the aftermath, which is a heavily bloodied wheel chair, which the girl was in. So those are just some of the violent moments. Now for enjoyment, it was a 3/5. It was disappointing yet entertaining at most parts, it had a slow opening, and some moments seemed to drag, which I lost interest in those parts, and those dragging parts did nothing with the plot, so I feel like those could have been taken out. Those moments made this 2 hour movie feel like a 3.5 hour movie. The action scenes were stylish and glamorized, and the big special FX were crazy, and during those phenomenal action sequences I couldn't take my eyes of of the screen. Oh and did I mention I saw this movie in the extreme theatre in 3D (extreme theatre at my theatre has more speakers which make things 10 times louder, a bigger screen, and much more comfortable seats). Seeing it in 3D would be my choice, but it is scary, since there are many moments when things fly at you and that made us all jump. There were also some jump scares, which were really scary in 3D. There are many moments in this movie that are hard to follow, so you really want to pay attention, even during those bored moments. My MPAA rating: PG13 (for futuristic action, sci-fi action violence, bloody images and gore throughout, disturbing images, scary images, some suggestive content, and language)
Teen, 14 years old Written byStephanhurc85 February 13, 2019

Teen, 14 years old Written bytonystarlk February 19, 2019

About the violence

The movie was based on an anime named Gunm. The movie is very nice being an anime fan I don't see very good adaptations and for the violence part I don't think that that would effect you cause there is no human like gore cause everything is a machine,cyborg or ai robots so it's not gonna effect you as bad as a horror movie ofcourse.the only thing I didn't like was the cliff hanger at the end of the movie.

Teen, 15 years old Written bygrieris333 February 18, 2019

Best anime Representation yet

IF you or your kids, friends, or anyone watch anime, whether it be causally or religiously, you will love this movie. There is genuine emotion in the acting in large part to their large array of A list actors. This is the perfect setup and first 5 episodes of an anime but it will leave you begging for its sequel that will only come if more people watch it.

Teen, 15 years old Written bythisisgreat March 15, 2019

Why is it so unpopular?

Last year, I was looking at trailers for movies that were supposed to come out in 2019. Alita : Battle Angel had instantly caught my eye. The uniqueness and the adventure made me eager for it's release. A few months passed and I saw the trailer for it while watching Aquaman in the theaters. I was psyched. I've recently watched it, and at first I was a little worried. I'm 15, and this was the first time that I've watched a movie in theaters without my parents, and this movie is rated 14A (in Canada). However, I enjoyed the movie immensely. The movie is pretty much rated 14A because of it's violence. There is quite an amount of fighting, and a few deaths. But, to be honest, I didn't think they were that bad. Some fight scenes were a little more intense than others, but the creators of this movie did a great job at making it not too dark and gloomy. Even tho I wouldn't recommend my 12 year old brother to see it, I think he would do ok at seeing it at home, where it's less intense. But why not check it out without the younger ones? It grasped my attention. I'm not an expert or anything, but I am quite picky with movies, especially when they start to feel like they're too fake. Alita was an intense character, she had a bit of difficulty keeping her emotions in check. But never once did I think that it seemed too ''fake'' or ''corny''. Another thing to add would be the fact that all the cyborgs looked amazing, especially Alita. Yes, her eyes are big, but they look so realistic it was great. There are other cyborgs too, those were just as well done, you can tell there was a lot of effort and time put into this movie. Another thing to add is that there is a bit of swearing, but I didn't notice too much. And the sad truth is, I've heard much worse at school. I don't remember exactly how many and which they were, but I've heard those words as early as in grade 6. I'm not excusing it, but I think I may have heard a bad word used only twice (being f**k and b*tch), so please don't let those stop you from seeing the movie. All in all, I think this movie was great. I really hope that they'll be able to afford to make a sequel.
Teen, 17 years old Written byAsheeld March 4, 2019

Maybe the best movie of 2019

Its the best manga adaptation ive ever seen ! ( the gunmm OAV ), the actors are good, the CGI on alita are Perfects, this movie deserve betters critics, just for the work that james Cameron did in Alita battle angel.

Teen, 17 years old Written byPetuci March 3, 2019

I do not stand by in the presence of evil!

Saw it yesterday and want to watch it over and over again. Didn't expect to like it as much as I did. At first I was very sceptical because 1) Hollywood manga adaptation 2) I didn't like the idea about Alita being CGI (especially those eyes). As I watched the movie I found the CGI to be extremely beautiful and realistic (especially the huge, emotion-filled manga eyes). The world is very well-crafted. By just looking at it you get a very good understanding about how things work. You have the sky city of Zalem (from where our angel Alita falls), which is obviously where the rich people live. They live significantly better than the rest and watch them from above the clouds. Under Zalem is Iron City, which is small, not so clean, and tightly packed by the rest of the survivors after "The Fall", with their different races, cultures and languages. Obviously some people dream about moving up to Zalem but it's a hardly achievable thing. The characters were good. I liked doctor Ido (Alita's discoverer). But Alita is without doubt the best. She starts out more childish and excited by everything but then as the movie goes on she becomes more mature and gets a better understanding about both the world she now lives in and the world she used to live in 300 years ago. This is also reflected in her body. She starts out in a body build for a smaller child, but then finds a body fit for a warrior like her and after getting broken in a fight gets attached to said body. Her new body looks more mature and it's much stronger than the old one which is much needed because she has the tendency to create conflict and resolve it by fighting. The romantic subplot is also extremely well-written. It is believable, emotional, and extremely unpredictable. No drama needed. However, the fight scenes are the best part. They rely mainly on martial arts and thus are extremely dynamic and fun to watch though they can get pretty violent and bloody.
Teen, 15 years old Written byledbylight February 20, 2019

Too much blood and slashing

Eh, the plot was fine, it entertained me on a Tuesday night. Whatever, the movie had WAY too much violence for a PG-13. It seemed borderline R. In places where the camera should've turned, it kept on and focused on the decapations/severings/cutting in half. As for blood, there was quite a bit of alien goop and real blood in the mix. Also one f--k and other milder terms (crap, puss, s--t, and p---k). So definitely don't take your younger kids to this. Only older teens.

Teen, 15 years old Written bydianaarken February 15, 2019

Mediocre writing, pretty violent

Whenever I hear that some anime or manga is being adapted into a live action film, I cringe inside. These adaptations usually tend to be the worst. But then I saw this film's trailer in the movie theatres and was intrigued. Upon further research, I found out it was a manga adaptation and was slightly shocked since it seemed so interesting just for a manga adaptation (maybe since I was fairly unfamiliar with the source material.) So I decided to watch it today, and it was good for a manga adaptation. The CGI was pretty amazing, I loved the fight scenes, and the premise was pretty good. But unfortunately, this premise wasn't written in a way that made sense. The beginning seemed a bit rushed, especially Hugo's introduction, Alita's past wasn't explored that well, and basically the way the plot is tied together is with a romance arc. While romance arcs aren't that bad at all, this instance seemed pretty forced. I'm not sure how much of the plot of the source material has been changed for this movie but if the plots are almost identical and the writing had been this mediocre, then it is technically a good adaption. One thing that surprised me is the amount of violence and dismemberment (both human and cyborg/robot.) While this shocked me, it didn't feel inappropriate and contributed to the thrill of the fight. All in all, if you like a badass robot girl beating up individuals like a warmachine while still being cute, this movie is for you. But if you like good storytelling, look somewhere else.

Teen, 15 years old Written byApersonfromtheUK March 3, 2019

Enjoyable, creative, but surprisingly bloody

Alita: Battle Angel is easily one of the most exciting films of 2019 so far due to the kinetic action and emotional plot. I would say that the film pushes the limits of the age rating with some surprisingly gory moments shown on screen. There is also some bad language in the film. The film does have a great message on how people shouldn’t give up if evil takes over. The film only really fails with a overly simplistic plot and an abrupt ending.

Teen, 16 years old Written byLokiStarkLord February 24, 2019

Violent but enjoyable flick

Nice world building in this movie. I didn’t think the characters were badly written, and I’m a writer. At least I thought Alita and Hugo were somewhat interesting. There is a LOT of violence for PG-13, a lot of action and cyborg dismemberment. A dog is killed offscreen. Stabbings. A LOOOT of fights. Alita tried to do the right thing but it’s a very violent world. PG-13 level cussing, and some kissing between a human boy and Alita. Guy with his shirt off. Violence is the main issue here. Female empowerment and going against classist society are present.

Teen, 16 years old Written byEvil-Dog February 24, 2019

Weak story

Weak story, non-logical desitions, non-sencical dialogues, really bad movie. Yehyeah, CGI perfect, thats the only reason for that 2nd star. I dont get why people like this movie. A lot of weird and cringy scene (like that twilight romance between Alita and Hugo). Music didnt really cought my ear (maybe there wasnt any). Only 2 flashbacks from Alita and that was the most exiting thing of this movie and we didnt get almost anything. Disappointed like hell. (Didnt saw manga or anime)
Teen, 13 years old Written byIAmHotterThanU February 19, 2019

Just FIghting and Romance

Me and my family got bored instantly and never really got a good grasp of the plot. Even though this is an anime you can't expect everyone to watch it. Huge disappointment in total.

Teen, 14 years old Written byFrankidoodles123 February 15, 2019

Amazing

It was a good story, quite simple but a story about growth. Action scenes are quite violent but there is very little blood and most deaths are robots/cyborgs so it’s not so bad... As some have pointed out, the violence isn’t worse than most games tweens/teens play

Teen, 16 years old Written bysam55.b February 19, 2019

The trailer is the only thing worth watching

The actors were good actors from other movies I like. And the fighting scenes were awesome. But the writing was not well scripted. The story was not well written. And the characters were dull. WARRING MINI SPOILER AHEAD. There was a little romance between the main character and what me and my family call him mushy boy. They had a kiss it was so bad. All in all 2/10
Kid, 12 years old February 14, 2019

Very violent

I thought this wasn’t a very violent movie but apparently it is there is a lot of killing

Kid, 11 years old March 13, 2019

Teen, 14 years old Written byABCtastic March 10, 2019

A sad excuse for action

This movie was all about the action and violence, such to the extent that it had no satisfying plot. I keep going over it in my head and can’t identify the climax or resolution. I did in fairness watch it in French, but I was such an action based movie that I don’t think it mattered. It was extremely violent, I don’t think there was 10 minutes where some cyborg wasn’t being cut in half. It was gory too, with way to much camera time being spent on the blood (or mechanical liquid) covered remains of just above everything. The only time when the camera wasn’t focused on something being killed was when the dog was murdered.

Kid, 10 years old March 6, 2019

a violent movie

This was a good story but for kids like me it was loud, violent and scary. It was rated pg 13 but I disagree it should be R. this movie has very hard and some what gross aspects kids that are not 14 and up should not watch this it is scary, gross, hard and loud.

Kid, 10 years old March 2, 2019

Violent, but good

I just went to see this movie and I was pretty nervous because of the reviews, but it was honestly not bad. I think the scariest part of the movie was the previews, which were all horror films. This movie is pretty violent, but it has a strong female character as the lead. There is one scene in a bar, but that's it for alcohol. There is one f-word, and a few others but not too much. It had blood from robots and robotic severed heads, and only a little human blood. Very violent but very suspenseful and action-filled. I wasn't bothered at all, but maybe other kids my age might, so I think 11+.