All parent member reviews for Almost Famous

Parent of a 14 year old Written byMom-an-em April 10, 2009

Great Movie and Pretty Accurate too.

This is a very funny movie. I saw it in the theaters when it was released but also watched it last night on DVD with my 14 year old daughter and she really enjoyed it. Yes there are a few bad words but all in all this is a really tame R-rated movie. You can really have fun with discussions afterward about "the rock lifestyle" and how things have changed. The main character, a 15 year old boy, ends up writing an article for Rolling Stone Magazine. I thought it was good for my daughter to see that something like that could happen with a bit of perseverance, pushiness and talking to the right people. This is loosely based on Cameron Crowes life and he directed it so I guess he ought to know. Very good movie overall.
Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe October 29, 2010
Great movie! I loved it! But it's definitely not for children or tweens. It's all about sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll and they aren't shy about any of it in this movie.
Adult Written byfoxxyemceelouise January 14, 2011
If it's nudity you're concerned about - there's only very brief upper female nudity. There's sexual references of course because the girls are groupies and at one point discuss the main character's virginity (but you don't see the actual sex at all). Swearing, drinking and drugs would be the other concerns. Kate Hudson's character overdoses when she gets upset. At a party, there is drinking and drugs such as acid. Swearing; just 'f--k' and 'sh-t' here and there but nothing more than this. Definitely for older kids 13+, might be a bit iffy for 12 year olds if you're willing to let them see breif nudity and use of drugs.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 November 27, 2012

almost famous

Wilson) sound right at home with the sterling selection of actual songs from the pre-disco days. Patrick Fugit's star-making debut as the young hero William is but one of many funny and touching performances. Frances McDormand, the star of movies as diverse as Madeline and Fargo, continues to prove she's one of today's finest actors. Families can talk about the "rock star" lifestyle, as it's presented here. How accurate do you think the movie is? How do you think real musicians and other celebrities handle sudden fame and fortune? How has media attention to stars changed since the time period presented here?
Adult Written bybdub79 April 9, 2008